Home
Academy Sports and Outdoors was running a sale on the last remaining Tikka SS T3 243's. I couldn't say no. Haven't had a 243 in a couple years, and first time to own a Tikka.

Excited for both.

Would like to mold the T3 into a dual purpose shooter.

Job 1: LR Steel plinker to watch the hits at 600+.
Job 2: Whitetail poker from stands/tripods, also to watch hits.

How would you achieve Job 1 and Job 2? Ideas I've kicked around:

-Shoot as is, likely to be plenty accurate for both

-Pull the barrel and recalibrate to a ____? Lots of 6 and 6.5 options here I would guess.

First time to build off a Tikka, but there appears to be plenty of stock, barrel, and mag options to complement any build.

Fire away.
Maybe I just copy this blueprint in caliber of choice:

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-preci...y-to-ship-super-light-weight-hunter.html
I'd get a keg of powder, some Lapua brass, and see if the 90gr. Scenar shot well.

6X scopes have served me well. I hardly ever have a spotter so I tend to use low end stuff.

Travis
That thought crossed my mind. I'm sure the 1-10 will get the 90 Scenar going just fine.
I'm not 100% but it would be worth a shot.

I just ordered a Super Sniper 6X to try out. I think they're still on sale for the remainder of the day if you want to try one for cheap.

My other ones are all Leupold 6X42's.

I just bought my first Tikka but it's a 308. Lapua brass + Scenars = Leave it alone.... grin

Travis
I would get one of those CTR thingies in a 260 and buy a schist load of 123 Scenars.

Tanner
I like the T3 for what it is.
To me that is a lightish weight rifle that will shoot tiny clusters right out of the box without tweaking other than backing down the trigger pull weight.

I'd roll with Travis's advice.

If you are going to get into a "build" much of the appeal is lost even at a bargain purchase price.
If you are going to get into a "build" much of the appeal is lost even at a bargain purchase price.

$449 for the SS rifle.

How I see it, could get a 1:8 barrel, toss Ackely's name on it, have it screwed on, bedded into new stock (or factory), and be working around the cost of a Montana 243, but with the twisting for heavies. Yes, that gets away from the bargain price, but whats to like about a 1:10 243?
I'd try and make $100.00 on it and put that toward something else before I built on it.

I just see Tikkas as a rifle to shoot the hell out of right out of the box.

The other thing about buying something like a Montana is if you trip it, you're tripping a Montana so you can still get most of your money back. Building on a Tikka... That schit ain't gonna happen.

I know what you mean about the 1-10" twist but for the ranges you're shooting it will be fine, and you got it for a great price.

Travis
I do have 243 dies and some Lapua brass sitting around. Wouldn't hurt to order a batch of the 90s and see where it goes. Thanks for the tips.

I would leave one of them as is and shoot the 90 Scenar or 95 Nosler BT for a light deer rifle.

The other one I would probably give it the GAP treatment with a 1/8 twist barrel in .243.

Since the Tikka is a long action I would probably also move the bolt stop and switch to the .30/06 length magazine and have oodles of room for the long VLD bullets.
Is anyone but Beretta making/selling bolt stops for the Tikka? I recall reading about someone making replacements. What does it take to modify the short to a long?

Getting a long length mag would be easy enough.
I have a T3 lite (blued) in .243.... it has made hits to 1k, and does it pretty easily. 300-600 is its wheel-house though, and misses inside that range are rather infrequent. It weighs 7.4 lbs all up, with 3 in the mag..... and the only two groups I've shot at 100 yds with it are both under 1/2".

I'd love to give the 90 Scenars a whirl, and have a box here to try.... but the Vmax shoots like a champ, I have many boxes of them, they cost about half what the Scenars do, and I can find them at Walmart if necessary. Also, they should only give up about an inch at 500 in drift to the Scenar.

Like Travis.... I run the Lapua brass, but I shoot the 87 Vmax for steel and vermin at 3150 via H4350. I'd substitute the 90/95 NBTs (or 90 Scenar) for any deer/pronghorn work.

Here it is testing that load and shooting some dope the other day...

T3 Lite .243 Win
87 Horn. Vmax @ 3150 (43.5 H4350)
Leupold VX2 3-9x40, TTs, F. Duplex in DNZ 1-pc

[video:youtube]gzNkDxWAEho[/video]

PS..... if you really want to 1. Hunt with it, and 2. Shoot steel with it.... you need 2 guns... just ask 2MG..... laffin....
Great info Dog. Thanks. And cool video. Any need to change bolt stops/mag to get the 87 seated long enough?
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Is anyone but Beretta making/selling bolt stops for the Tikka? I recall reading about someone making replacements. What does it take to modify the short to a long?

Getting a long length mag would be easy enough.

Check with this outfit on the bolt stops:

http://www.tikkaperformance.com/index.php?route=common/home

At one time Brownells also had them.

I would just buy new magazines as trying to modify the short ones would be a mortal pain in the ass.
Great info Dog. Thanks. And cool video. Any need to change bolt stops/mag to get the 87 seated long enough?

I run the 87 Vmax at a COAL of 2.710", that's kissing.... Mag box is 2.8ish.

Side note: it also shoots the 55 NBTs well at close to 3900fps... but they get squirrelly in the wind past 400... no free lunch.

I had plenty of room to seat the 105 HPBT in the lands and fit it in the mag. Unfortunately, it will only shoot them run hot (3050) and in warm weather. They go T/U bad in sub-freezing temps.
Awesome. No sub freezing here in South Texas...

Did you take note of the 105 HPBT length to lands?
105 Horn HPBT: COAL 2.770", BTO 2.185"

87 Horn Vmax: COAL 2.710", BTO 2.185"

I ran the 105 all the way to 3100 and never saw any difference in pockets on the brass.... but that's scootin' for a 22" barrel SAAMI .243....

Buddy of mine shoots the 95 VLDs outta his T3 Lite .243 (SS 12x, Talleys, 8lbs even), and it rings steel very well out to 600.

500yd group from the video.... sub-moa at 500 ain't bad for 700 clams. The other hit is a 55NBT...

[Linked Image]
I'd throw a 20 moa base on it, some real glass, get some 90 gr scenars and rock on. You say 600yds now, but you will be at 1000+ before you know it.

I have "Tweeners" for that kinda work.... laffin...

It's made hits at 1k... and running outta a elevation ain't an issue.... we have 35+MOA of travel to work with. Might shoot it at the next SRM... or, I might trip it and go M'rican Predator in same chambering...

How would you achieve Job 1 and Job 2? Ideas I've kicked around:

-Shoot as is, likely to be plenty accurate for both

<snip> Fire away.

IMO, this is the way to go, although I'm not sure you'll see the hits because the T3 is not a heavy rifle.

Also, I've been a competitive long range handgun and rifle silhouette shooter for over 30 years. Not a great one mind you but OK. If I've learned anything during that time period while getting beat by some of the best shooters in the USA, it's this:

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian!

BTW, I've owned and shot several T3s, and have friends with many more, and EVERY single one of those Tikkas is a less than MOA rifle with the majority of loads tested.

Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I have "Tweeners" for that kinda work.... laffin...

It's made hits at 1k... and running outta a elevation ain't an issue.... we have 35+MOA of travel to work with. Might shoot it at the next SRM... or, I might trip it and go M'rican Predator in same chambering...

My response was intended to the OP. I already know you and Tanner's prejudice against Tikkas for some reason. Trading it for a Ruger is a brilliant move, haha.
I fully expect the factory Tikka to be a shooter. Wanted to hear thoughts on using the platform to add a faster twisted barrel with a little more meat, bedding into new stock, and having for dual purpose of watching LR hits on steel and deer hunt from elevated boxes. Thanks for all the input.
I've no prejudice of the sort.... in fact, I recomend them all the time. My only beef with this gun is the 1-10" twist.... that's it. I might give one a whirl in 7/08 just to see WTF... 150 Scenars at 2850 would be pretty slick...

A T3 lite is almost never a bad choice.... the only places I'd want more gun is colony varmints or tac-matches.... neither of which are really my style. We both know accuracy/consistency isn't typically a Tikka issue... and I think they're wonderful all-purpose steel/hunting rifles if the caliber is moderate and one is kinda judicious about round count.
My only beef with this gun is the 1-10" twist.

Same.

Might give the factory barrel a go with 90's, as suggested. But a 1:8 in AI sure could be fun.
I've owned a Tikka... No prejudice... They work pretty damn good and I recommended one above. Those CTRs look like a fun rig.

Same.

Might give the factory barrel a go with 90's, as suggested. But a 1:8 in AI sure could be fun.

Indeed....

A 6.5 Creed Tikka would be pretty cool too....
Thought about the Creed, but I have a 270 thats a shooter, and I just can't see enough real world difference just for the cool factor. But it does indeed have a cool factor.
Thought about the Creed, but I have a 270 thats a shooter, and I just can't see enough real world difference just for the cool factor. But it does indeed have a cool factor.

LOL!
Originally Posted by Tanner
I've owned a Tikka... No prejudice... They work pretty damn good and I recommended one above. Those CTRs look like a fun rig.

Getya one!

Got a woods scope on my CTR .260 now, but have a Mk IV 3.5-10x40mm M1 on my LTR that may get snatched for it. Prolly be getting a lighter 6x42 Leupold w M1 elevation at end of week,

Thinkin the 6x42 and Scenar 123s could probably render a Colorado elk dead pretty quick next fall. Or do ya think the big variable would be maux better?
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

LOL!

laugh
I think they're wonderful all-purpose steel/hunting rifles if the caliber is moderate and one is kinda judicious about round count.

One can shoot critters and steel w/ any rifle made. It's just that some are better suited for each individual task than others.

Regarding the Tikka, why must the "caliber be moderate and round count judicious", as you say?
I was happy toting a M70 Carbine 20" Syn/matte around Colorado w/4x33mm, Mule deer did not like it...a Bull Elk almost did not like it, but was not enough to be legal, and only 30 yds...

What's not to like about a 10t T3? A 95 NBT will kill further than 90% of where game is taken.
They weigh 7lbs... they aren't much fun in 7 Rem/.300 Win, I'm not guessing.... ... they're still 'accurate', just a lot tougher to shoot 7lb guns that run 60-70 grains of powder and fling 160-210 grain bullets.

Round count for the same reason... they get hot fairly quickly, 4-8 rds with my .243, depending on ambient temps. Not sure how it'd shoot during/after a 3 minute 15-20 prairie dog massacre... but that's not really my style either.

As much as it kills me to say it.... a guy could pretty much hunt anything on 8 continents... and bang steel with booring regularity @ 300-600+ yards(as OP stated)... with a pair of bone stock T3s in .243 and '06 wearing Turreted Leupold 3-9s.

You wanna shoot the 'hide cup.... then it probably isn't your huckleberry.... you'd never look cool enough to impress anybody with it. I bet a guy with a little talent wouldn't suck hind tit with it either.... but that wasn't the question... or was it?
I couldn't make it look cool enough to be seen with it or impress anybody no matter where I took it grin
I'd shoot the barrel out before I pulled it, but either way you have a spare 243 barrel or two that will come in handy around 2k rounds...but that's a lot of bullets and powder down range if a slower twisted 243 is not what you want to shoot.

You're in good shape no matter what you decide, but if you do decide to build one of them Tikkas use a barrel lug.
Yes, a recoil lug is always a nice to have. But don't tell any Tikka fans that......
lugs are nice.... but $450 rifles that shoot like $1500 rifles are better....
I could live with a Tikka at $450 with the right twist...

It has always amazed me at how EVERY budget rifle owner thinks their gun shoots like a more well equipped/expensive gun.

Every Tikka owner, Savage owner, Howa/Vanguard owner, etc. The latest to the party is the Ruger American owner.

I will tell you a little secret, they all shoot equally well. And claiming one to be more accurate than the rest is nothing more than brand biased hogwash.

What I can also tell you, is that the Tikka is a budget rifle in every way, except price. Compare it, part for part, with any of the others mentioned, and then tell me why it costs more money when you, in fact, get less............
Equally, well they all do go bang when operating correctly.

Equally accurate? Not seen any head to head scientifically controlled studies.

Less? Well, I think when working a Slick as Butter T3 vs a Clunky Ruger AR, the T3 IS More, quality. Nice adjustable trigger to boot and side bolt release. Ruger makes good bbls, in-house, but I do not believe they are equal of Sako, which is who mfg. Tikka.

Suffice to say, Many rifles, esp in 243 will shoot better than many can hold them off a bench. I'd not take a RAR in trade on my T3, just me.

Like Ice Cream and Women, they all come in different flavors. All Equal? Well you decide wink
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

It has always amazed me at how EVERY budget rifle owner thinks their gun shoots like a more well equipped/expensive gun.

Every Tikka owner, Savage owner, Howa/Vanguard owner, etc. The latest to the party is the Ruger American owner.

I will tell you a little secret, they all shoot equally well. And claiming one to be more accurate than the rest is nothing more than brand biased hogwash.

What I can also tell you, is that the Tikka is a budget rifle in every way, except price. Compare it, part for part, with any of the others mentioned, and then tell me why it costs more money when you, in fact, get less............

never said every.... you did. But, every Tikka I've been around has been a no fuss machine.... and all have been sub-MOA accurate, easily. I'm not giving up the Manners stocked custom .260 any time soon... but the Tikka is a great alternative for 1/3 the dough.

Let me let you in on a little secret.... here's the $450 rifle being shot right next to the $1500+ rifle... the $1500 one ain't 3x more accurate.... or even measurably more accurate. Admittedly, I don't have a ton of data on the tikka, but it's promising.

[Linked Image]
That is my point.

On any given day you an stack up a Tikka vs. a Savage vs. a Vanguard vs. a RAR, etc. and it's a crap shoot every time.

My beef is that Tikkas come with plastic magazines, plastic bolt shrouds, plastic trigger guards/stocks, and a 10� free floating chunk of aluminum "recoil lug". Not to mention one action length. It is clearly a cost-cutter rifle if there ever was one.

For those who wish to claim it performs just as well, fine. I don't feel plastic outperforms metal. But even it it did, when did plastic start commanding a higher price than metal?

How Beretta gets what they get for a Tikka is amazing. Given the pieces, it should cost LESS than the others, not more.

No way it should cost any more than a RAR. Because I guarantee you it doesn't cost more to produce.

What's more, replacement parts are priced ridiculously, often out of stock, and Beretta customer service is beyond horrible.

I just can't see a reason to choose/own one.

Half the rifle is made by the Lego division of Playskool, as subcontracted by Fisher Price.

Anyhoo---I will let you kids wth your regularly scheduled program now. I have said enough, and I know it grin

Glocks are plastic.... XDs are plastic.... M&Ps are plastic.... and I'd wrap a dozen 1911s around trees to claw my way any of them. Just cause it's metal... don't mean it's better. I've run them side by side through the same stages.... again, it ain't a guess.

Haven't seen a lug be a problem.... but I could see how it could, if you didn't know how to properly reassemble a rifle.

Never seen a Tikka that's an accuracy "crap-shoot"... in fact, I bet they're the most renowned 'out of the box accurate' rifle around.... so much so, that it's become a joke.

Keep trying to justify those $3000 sticks....
Originally Posted by 65BR
Equally, well they all do go bang when operating correctly.

Equally accurate? Not seen any head to head scientifically controlled studies.

Less? Well, I think when working a Slick as Butter T3 vs a Clunky Ruger AR, the T3 IS More, quality. Nice adjustable trigger to boot and side bolt release. Ruger makes good bbls, in-house, but I do not believe they are equal of Sako, which is who mfg. Tikka.

Suffice to say, Many rifles, esp in 243 will shoot better than many can hold them off a bench. I'd not take a RAR in trade on my T3, just me.

Like Ice Cream and Women, they all come in different flavors. All Equal? Well you decide wink

Have you actually looked at or handled a RAR? They're certainly not clunky, feel as mooth as any Tikka I ever handled, they have an adjustable trigger and a side bolt release.

David
You can read right here on this website, and in many other forums, of broken bolt shrouds and bent "recoil lug thingys" if you wish.

And sorry, but I just don't relish a 243 on a long action.

Don't you know that every Savage owner feels that Savage is the most accurate out of the box? And every Vanguard owner too. And Remington owner. And now the new RAR owners. LMAO.

Just like everyone in prison is innocent.

C'mon man.... laugh
That is my point.

On any given day you an stack up a Tikka vs. a Savage vs. a Vanguard vs. a RAR, etc. and it's a crap shoot every time.

My beef is that Tikkas come with plastic magazines, plastic bolt shrouds, plastic trigger guards/stocks, and a 10� free floating chunk of aluminum "recoil lug". Not to mention one action length. It is clearly a cost-cutter rifle if there ever was one.

For those who wish to claim it performs just as well, fine. I don't feel plastic outperforms metal. But even it it did, when did plastic start commanding a higher price than metal?

How Beretta gets what they get for a Tikka is amazing. Given the pieces, it should cost LESS than the others, not more.

No way it should cost any more than a RAR. Because I guarantee you it doesn't cost more to produce.

What's more, replacement parts are priced ridiculously, often out of stock, and Beretta customer service is beyond horrible.

I just can't see a reason to choose/own one.

Half the rifle is made by the Lego division of Playskool, as subcontracted by Fisher Price.

Anyhoo---I will let you kids wth your regularly scheduled program now. I have said enough, and I know it grin

Have you ever actually used a Tikka, shot a Tikka, or even handled a Tikka?
You can also read on this website 1000 posts of excellent Tikka accuracy and reliability.... for every one post on lugs or bolt shrouds. I've read ten thousand posts on broken Rem. bolts.... or extractor woes.... or shoddy accuracy... or out of whack chambers... or faulty triggers.... or whatever. I still use them.... so do you I bet.

Every rifle is a series of compromises.... Tikka compromises in the right places.

You act as though you've run a few Tikkas.... I'd love to hear/see what your actual field/shooting results were.... and how your shroud broke.... and your recoil lug failed....

What two rifles would you suggest the OP build.... since one rifle for both is obviously so uncivilized?

How much performance would be gained by doing so?

At what cost?
I have handled and shot every rifle, scope, and bullet I have ever commented on in 10 years here. Unless otherwise noted.

They shoot. So what? So does damn near every other CF rifle on the market. Some even offer you metal over plastic, real recoil lugs, true short actions, and good customer service FOR LESS MONEY.......
Every rifle is a series of compromises.... Tikka compromises in the right places.

First off, you should read more of bad Remingtons, given that they outsell Tikka by probably 10-20 to 1. THERE ARE A $HIT TON MORE OF THEM OUT THERE.

Secondly, If you think compromising on the recoil lug '"is the right place", that tells me all I need to know of your rifle I.Q.

And every rifle is NOT a series of compromises. Though all of yours very well may be......

First off, you should read more of bad Remingtons, given that they outsell Tikka by probably 10-20 to 1. THERE ARE A $HIT TON MORE OF THEM OUT THERE.

Secondly, If you think compromising on the recoil lug '"is the right place", that tells me all I need to know of your rifle I.Q.

And every rifle is NOT a series of compromises, IMO. Though all of yours very well may be......

I'm the one with the actual experience.... with the pics and vid to prove it.... which one does that make you?

Fords out sell Chevs.... does that make them 'better'....

More people voted for Obama.... does that make him the 'best'?

Nice work answering the questions....
I see hundreds of rifles shot for hundreds of rounds every year. No factory rifles shoot as consistently as Tikkas. Not Remingtons, Savages, Rugers, Kimbers or Winchesters.

Sure almost all can be made to shoot, however I've yet to see a Tikka require more than just good factory ammo to shoot well which is not something that a lot of other rifles can not say.

Fantastic barrels, great triggers, actions that are square, and there are no surprises. They're not magic but they are good rifles.
Why are people hung up on recoil lug design? All a lug does is keep an action from moving. Either it works as intended or it doesn't.

I think Weatherby's and Ruger's recoil lug design is far more retarded than a Tikka's.
You can buy an aftermarket Ti lug, if you so choose.
I have always made fun of Tikkas and probably always will. I think they are way over-fuggin'-priced for what they are. I remember when they were cheap they kinda made sense, but now they're too much [bleep] money. I've bought pre-Garcia Sakos for $50.00 over the cost of a new Tikka. That's insane.

They came out with this CTR and so far I really like it. Bottom metal is metal and the long action and detachable box mag are working well with the chamber and throat. It's a .308.

Shot this, this evening @ 220yds. Four shots. 10mph cross wind. Groups at the 4 and 5 were just as UBER.

[Linked Image]
We'll see how it does in the long run.

Clark
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

LOL!

By "cool factor" do you mean availability of much higher BC bullets being launched from a smaller efficient case, which delivers less wind drift, and greater down range velocity/energy? I agree, sounds like a cool window dressing! laugh
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Why are people hung up on recoil lug design? All a lug does is keep an action from moving

Instant classic right there.....
You guys are funny.

I'd like to keep the recoil low for watching hits. I don't think the Creed can do that from a similar weight rifle as a 243. If it can, sign me up with the Creed cool kids.

And every rifle is NOT a series of compromises, IMO. Though all of yours very well may be......

I'm the one with the actual experience.... with the pics and vid to prove it.... which one does that make you?

Fords out sell Chevs.... does that make them 'better'....

More people voted for Obama.... does that make him the 'best'?

Nice work answering the questions....

You sure do have a way of MISSING a lot of points. Cuz that went right over your head. Read it again....
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I see hundreds of rifles shot for hundreds of rounds every year. No factory rifles shoot as consistently as Tikkas. Not Remingtons, Savages, Rugers, Kimbers or Winchesters.

Sure almost all can be made to shoot, however I've yet to see a Tikka require more than just good factory ammo to shoot well

Horseshit. How old are you? Gonna answer this time?

I got underwear older than you and have owned/shot more different brands of rifles than you.

Tikkas ain't nothing special. I never said they don't shoot. But they are not magically accurate like some like to think. They are WAY overpriced, as well.

How many of the "hundreds of rifles" were Tikkas chambered for magnum cartridges?
Enlighten us novice shooters what the purpose of a recoil lug is. whistle

Only thing missing here is a G spent on a rifle.... your actual experience with Tikkas.... and answers to the questions I asked. Until then.... all I hear is you tap dancing man.

Show me where you found the 'compromises' to cause any ACTUAL problems at all. Guys who actually run rifles on this board have already chimed in to the contrary... shown examples of fine accuracy... and have little bad to say.

Show me a rifle that is NOT a series of compromises (weight, portability, accuracy, stability, magnification, dexterity, ergonomics, recoil, energy, noise, availability, etc.). Hell, show me a truck... and dog... or a woman that doesn't require some compromises in one facet or another.

Do you have a 'specific' rifle built for everything you do?

Tikkas ain't nothing special. I never said they don't shoot. But they are not magically accurate like some like to think. They are WAY overpriced, as well.

What is the difference between accurate and "magically accurate"?
Enlighten us novice shooters what the purpose of a recoil lug is. whistle

Here you go. Read it.

https://tikkaperformance.com/tikka-steel-lug

Then read what David Tubb has to say of recoil lugs:

http://www.davidtubb.com/recoillug-stainless

Then ask yourself WHY would anyone want a smaller, almost non-existent recoil lug. Ever hear of an undersized aftermarket recoil lug? Neither have I.

You kids have fun now. Tikkas simply do not intrest me enough to waste any more time reading of them....

Nice dance.... 2muchcrack....
Nice dance.... 2muchcrack....

Dance?

I'm sorry if it bothers you that I don't buy/shoot JUNK entry level rifles and pretend they are something they are not.

We have guys like you here to do that...........
We don't have too many guys like you shoot out here....They hate getting dirt on on their Tahoe rims... let alone their F-Class rigs... laffin...

Still waiting on a couple simple answers....

Or are you ACTUALLY 'done reading this'.... which would be ironic... as it's the only thing regarding this entire thread which you've actually done....

I got underwear older than you and have owned/shot more different brands of rifles than you.

Nothing like someone talking about their underwear when they have nothing else. Curious how you came to the conclusion that you "have owned/shot more different brands of rifles" than me and exactly what that has to do with Tikkas?
I drive a Wrangler. It is currently covered in mud from dragging out deer.

I shoot prone, lying in the mud and snow.

Nice profiling though.....
Couple simple answers to what?

I already CLEARLY stated that I do not own Tikkas for reasons that I have CLEARLY given.

I have also CLEARLY stated that I am familiar with them and have shot them. That should be obvious by now.

First time I took a Tikka out of the stock the "recoil lug" fell on the ground and I laughed.........

We have guys like you here to do that...........

Nice profiling though.....
I see you still don't want to answer my question.
How about how many of the Tikkas were chambered for magnum cartridges? Care to touch on that one?

And as far as my statement, I stick by that. Because we both know it is true.........

I've probably seen between 15-20 Tikkas chambered in either 7mm RM or 300WM. The lug gets battered but hasn't proven to be am issue in actual use.

Oh it's safe to say that I shoot more than a bit....
I've probably seen between 15-20 Tikkas chambered in either 7mm RM or 300WM. The lug gets battered but hasn't proven to be am issue in actual use.

The lug gets battered alright. Some bend. Or the damm things indent themselves right into the tupperware. Either way, they increase what is an already sloppy tolerance and most likely create uneven pressure.

Now tell me, how does a man of your supposed vast rifle knowledge not find this a detriment to the accuracy of the rifle?
Because they continue to shoot good groups and hold zero. I could give two flips about the prettiness, looks or belief of rifledom. I don't have to guess. If I want to know something I walk out and shoot it till destruction.

It may not be the best way to design a recoil lug, but it doesn't really matter. It works, I have never seen a functional problem caused by it, nor have I seem a legitimate complaint by anyone that has.

Dude it's a rifle. Not your mom. It just happens to have more checks on the boxes that matter compared to most.
Dude it's a rifle. Not your mom.

I've got underwear older than your mom.
Well the 7 mag I saw DID have a problem based on the lug. It did not continue to shoot good groups. Nor did it EVER shoot good groups. That is why I took it apart and saw what I saw. Problem is, most here don't own magnums so don't realize how weak/$hitty the design truly is. He11, I guarantee you most here have never taken their Wikka out of the stock.

I was looking for a pic of the lug, but knew I deleted it and some frozen up A-bort trigger pics when I told myself I was done speaking of them. Nice plan, but it obviously didn't work.

Anyhoo, I did find this little gem. It's pretty safe to say I shoot a bit also............
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by smokepole
I've got underwear older than your mom.

That's got me beat laugh
Maybe, but all it proves is, I'm too cheap to buy new underwear....
I use boots for the comparison...................seems more believable and less creepy. grin

You sound like the perfect candidate for a Tikka rifle........
...or you shop at Goodwill
Originally Posted by 222Rem
I use boots for the comparison...................seems more believable and less creepy. grin

Okay then. I got underwear older than your mom's boots..........
David, worked the bolt of a RAR at my LGS a week ago. Stock felt awkward - trigger OEM setting - heavy. Perhaps the bolt needed lube and some breaking in.

Heard good reports on accuracy but for me the T3 is worth a little more.

As to price/value. Many get outstanding accuracy w T3s. I ask, how much is the average cost of a top custom barrel job? $500-800+ ?

Just my view
2muchgun, do you even shoot? Bring some of your safe queens out west so I can watch you miss everything past 200 yards.

Here is a pic of Tikka's "tiny" lug:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 222Rem

Okay then. I got underwear older than your mom's boots..........

Knowing how long my mom's had some of her boots, you're WAY overdue for some new drawers! laugh

You sound like the perfect candidate for a Tikka rifle........

Yup. I only have one but it shoots lights out with every bullet I've tried in it.

rc, I sell my used underwear to goodwill, and I heard you've been buying 'em to clean your scopes with. I hope you told the guys at Leupold CS, that'll void the warranty. No pun intended.
I have never taken my Tikka out of the stock.

My mom won't talk to me.

That is all.

Travis

What two rifles would you suggest the OP build.... since one rifle for both is obviously so uncivilized?

At what cost?

Originally Posted by 2muchcrack

Laffin..... kinda funny how you want answers..... but have still failed to provide any. Or, are you ACTUALLY done with this thread.... again.... for the third time.... cause you don't have anything worth saying.... but you gotta have the last word.
Originally Posted by deflave

My mom won't talk to me.

That is all.

Travis

Help is here for you. Not me, but somebody will talk to you about it. Hang in there buddy.

Tanner

My mom won't talk to me.

That is all.

Travis

Help is here for you. Not me, but somebody will talk to you about it. Hang in there buddy.

Tanner

The Tikka issue, and the Mom issue arent inter-related.
Sweet thread direction.

From 243 talk to Tikka's merits. Or lack of.

Nice work.

Thanks to those with legit input.
2muchgun, do you even shoot? Bring some of your safe queens out west so I can watch you miss everything past 200 yards.

No. I just collect powder and bullets and 100s of guns to go with them. And post pics of dead things regularly.

[Linked Image]

I'll tell you what. I will be in Colorado next year. NO BS. Let me know how much money you have to lose, and I'll drive to you.

It'll be fun. Last time I shot for money, I tied Karl Feldkamp in a 600 yd egg shoot. We split the pot.

I was shooting this lil old 308 that George Gardner built me:
[Linked Image]

IIRC Eddie Fosnaugh and I tied for 3rd place that day in the target shooting. Karl came in 2nd and a guy name Tony H. who works for Trijicon took 1st. I also printed some 5 shot 1.25" 500yd groups during competition. Twice. I believe our own Superseal110 and Shotgun4fur witnessed those personally, also. Feel free to ask any of them.

I have NEVER, EVER felt the need to brag of my shooting abilities, or make wild claims, or post "internet groups". Or challenge folks to shooting matches. It's just dumb. Just not my style, and most here who actually know me, know I don't need to prove anything to anyone. But if you wish to talk down to me, or question if I even shoot or not, which is ludicrous, well I can show you first hand when I come visit my brother. I will make a one time exception for you only. Providing you make it worth my while, of course. I'll have a fistfull of cash, rest assured.

So are you in?

It'll be great. You will be laffin' your a$$ off when I miss everything beyond 200 yds.....
Sweet thread direction.

From 243 talk to Tikka's merits. Or lack of.

Nice work.

Thanks to those with legit input.

My apologies. I tried to bow out. Problem is, when confronted with the facts of the rifles, most Tikka owners tend to get their panties in a wad.

Except Travis. He actually gets it and has the right idea. And a firm grasp of what the Tikka is and isn't.

And I truly am done helping to sidetrack your thread now. And very uninterested in typing more of Tikkas, as well. Again, sorry.

Dogcatcher, I will await your PM and we can make arrangements....

At what cost?

Originally Posted by 2muchcrack

Laffin..... kinda funny how you want answers..... but have still failed to provide any. Or, are you ACTUALLY done with this thread.... again.... for the third time.... cause you don't have anything worth saying.... but you gotta have the last word.

I don't give 2 $hits about what 2 rifles he should build. How much they cost and what the performance gain would be. And I don't recall him asking that question either. WTF? As long as they aren't Tikkas or A-borts they can't be that bad.

The Tikka is a lightweight hunting rifle. I guess he should build a heavier bench gun of some sort if he want to play around LR from the bench.

Now please refrain from the questions. I mean wtf is your point? Really........
2muchgun, you said above that you've never felt the need to brag. But that's about the fourth time I've seen that pic of the 1 lb cans of powder, and you seem to get into multiple simultaneous pissing contests on different forums. You seem very confrontational. Give it a break.
I just found it kinda hard for someone to question if I shoot or not given the pic. But also don't consider it bragging. It's just a pic of some components. Just a bit of evidnce that I do tend to touch off a round once in a while, that's all......
2muchgun, I don't date men I meet on the internet.

PS, would be more impressed if those bullet boxes and powder cans were empty. You should be on the show Hoarders.
That's what I thought. All talk........

Here is a pic of Tikka's "tiny" lug:

[Linked Image]

Interesting picture of the Tikka out of the stock. What does the stock look like? does it have bedding blocks similar to the Ruger?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The reason I ask is, obviously, the Ruger has no recoil lug - the design renders the recoil lug superfluous.

OP,

Sorry about the thread hijack - you've been here long enough to know that's the way of the 'fire.... For your stated needs, I would load the Scenar's and shoot it as is till the barrel is done - I like every advantage I can get, but 600yds is well within that combination's capabilities. I have no problems making good hits to 500 with my Montana in 7mm-08 shooting 120TTSX's, which obviously give up a lot in ballistic capability to the 90grn Scenar 's. Most hunting combinations will work to 600yards to bang steel.

To address another point about spotting your own hits, in my experience that's almost as much a function of magnification as it is recoil. I can usually spot my hits at 500 w/ my 6.5 pound 7mm-08 and its 6x scope. I can usually do same w/ my 8.3 pound 6.5 Creedmoor at 300 w/ scope set to 6x. Turn the mag up to 9x and I start having difficulty picking up hits at even 500 with the 6.5CM

David
Today I boresighted my T3 w/naked eye, old school, fired one shot, moved POI, then fired 3 shots. Old brass, maybe fired in another gun, dumped powder, grabbed a random load, no load work or seating depth work.

[Linked Image]
I went ahead and skipped the middle 8 pages of this thread OP, but to your original question about what's to like about a 10 twist Tikka T3 ss 243:

I bought one a few months back, had to give $600 for mine so congrats on the deal you found, mine is my truck gun. I already have an 8 twist rem 700 to play with 105 amax and such, so I just wanted a good shooting but economical carry gun for coyotes and pigs of opportunity. The first load I tried, 85 sierra gameking hpbt over varget, has shot so well I haven't tried anything else.

I would try it if I were you before changing it up, it might grow on you. If you do, you could try berger 95 classic hunters. Decent BC and I know they'll stabilize in a 9 1/4 twist, so they might in the 10....
I wanted a tikka 243 bad but the 10 twist killed my mojo also. I then thought about a TC venture compact, wtf a 10 twist also. Ended up getting a 10 twist anyway but in Gods caliber, 308. If they would make the tikka in a 8 twist they couldn't keep them on the shelves.
Amazing folks think a 10 twist is ineffective when they dump game at ranges greater than 90-95% of where hunters take shots in the field. If they were that bad, they would not be mfg, sold, or used.
Couple of groups fired by me today using my T3 243 SS at 200 yds, out the box - just turned down trigger, old brass, formed to a former chamber of another rifle...no load work. Hair under 3/4" for 95 NBT, and hair over 1.0" for 87 Vmax. My Dakota 6BR shot those 95s into 1/2" - needless to say, the Dakota was MUCH more expensive...and it was a very nice rifle, as is the Tikka wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
PS, would be more impressed if those bullet boxes and powder cans were empty. You should be on the show Hoarders.

I helped a hunting buddy move. He had over 2,000 pounds of reloading stuff. That was not a problem. He drove the biggest moving van we could find. I was driving the truck pulling the trailer that had the engine blocks and heads. If you are going to hoard, hoard reloading, not engines, not tires, not boats, not cars.
That thought crossed my mind. I'm sure the 1-10 will get the 90 Scenar going just fine.

90 Scenars shoot fine in my 1-10" Montana.

'Max' load of H4350 in Lapua brass.

The BEST feature about Tikkas is they piss people off. Comparing them to a custom chunk is even funnier. Action length is another hoot. So friggin what. I've yet to see what is "lost" since the damn things go about 7# all done. Oh, maybe the accuracy suffers. Yeah, ive read about the lug dents on heavies and its a 5 minute swap out. Four of those minutes being walking to the fridge for a beer. Then the plastic mags, function suffers. Plastic TG, reliability suffers.

There have been too many threads about failures to even list.

Originally Posted by 16bore
The BEST feature about Tikkas is they piss people off.

They only piss off the people who actually know what they are looking at and are able realize how ridiculous it is for the price wink
I've owned many rifles, OEM, and full blown customs.

No Flies on a T3, if one is brutally honest about facts, and performance........

I've never understood the argument "It pisses you off that my X dollar rifle outshot your XXX dollar rifle..."

I've NEVER given 2 chits about that. Ever. A Bolt owners say it, apparently Tika owners say it etc.

Maybe I'm old school - I just don't care what a person paid for what makes them happy.

Happy is happy - doesn't matter how much someone spends to get there.
Well at least Tikka ain't recalling millions of rifles for schitty engineering...

Plus, how in gods name is a company in Finland which makes a rifle with excellent designs, superb barrel and trigger supposed to build it and import it for the same price as a Rem 700 or RAR (for those who think they're 'overpriced')?

If I add just the price of a Timney to the Rem I can already buy the Tikka....
They say it because proving a rifle's accuracy is not possible over the internet.

It is the only straw they have to grasp. Every budget rifle fanboy of every budget rifle brand does it..........

They only piss off the people who actually know what they are looking at and are able realize how ridiculous it is for the price wink

I know what I'm looking at.... and I like it.... look at it again.... right next to the custom Rock/Manners/Timneyed stick. I'm not diluted, I know there are some compromises in both rigs.

[Linked Image]

I haven't spent a single minute "working" on anything on the Tikka. No bedding..... no barrel channel work.... no re-crowning.... no mag-box modifying.... no "load development". Nada, I bet I have 15-20 hours fhugkin' with the Rem..... I bill clients $85-$105 an hour (and pay Tanner $7).... So, I can love a $450 rifle that requires no work to shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA..... over a $1500-$2000 rig that requires an additional $800 of my time to do the same......

What should you get for $450-$500?

For $500 from Remington you get:
A schitt stock
A schitt trigger
A schitt finish
And an accuracy crap-shoot
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Well at least Tikka ain't recalling millions of rifles for schitty engineering...

Plus, how in gods name is a company in Finland which makes a rifle with excellent designs, superb barrel and trigger supposed to build it and import it for the same price as a Rem 700

Apparently you don't remember the recall on Tikkas? They were blowing up.

I think you already answered your own question about the price wink. Obvious compromises have been made.

Although I will add, that for less money I would happily take a Vanguard/1500. And contrary to what some will tell you, they shoot every bit as good as Tikkas. Just ask their owners. Most accurate factory rifles made grin
Talked to a local lady, in person, which I have know from the past, her husband has a lawsuit right now b/c his Rem 770 or whatever newer model they came out with the past few years, BLEW UP and Shrapnel did great damage to his face and I maybe eye(s).

Carry on........
Well, guess I'll have to stick to my overpriced, compromised, poorly engineered non shooter.... whistle

All stooped over the hood of my Jeep off a rolled up coat (I'm 6'1--thats a lot of stooping).

.308 with 155 Skinners and .223 with 75 Amax. All three shot groups.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And it appears to extrapolate fairly well...

Just under 600 yds same setup...

[Linked Image]

More internet groups. Wooohooooo.

Priceless.

You do realize that every owner of every budget rifle on the internet attempts justification of their budget rifle purchase the same way, right?

See similar groups posted from every brand of rifle out there on a daily basis.

So what does it prove? Nothing.

I have claimed multiple times that Tikkas shoot well. And that so do many other brands..........
Proves you're butt-hurt over the level of accuracy and performance obtained for 1/4 the cost of your rifles......
More internet groups. Wooohooooo.

Priceless.

You do realize that every owner of every budget rifle on the internet attempts justification of their budget rifle purchase the same way, right?

See similar groups posted from every brand of rifle out there on a daily basis.

So what does it prove? Nothing.

I have claimed multiple times that Tikkas shoot well. And that so do many other brands..........

Priceless?? Umm, no. Can be had for $600...

The vast majority of 'budget rifle' owners justify their purchases by....the cost. I didn't buy my T3's because they were 'cheap'. I bought them specifically because of their reputation for accuracy and their smooth actions.

Maybe you hang out at bench rest sites but I don't see similar groups everyday online or at the range.

And, yes, it does prove something. The whole purpose of a rifle is to send a bullet to the intersection of POA/POI. The less work it takes to accomplish that, the more impressive it is.

I should also note that I claim no expertise in shooting skill. I probably could've improved on those groups with a solid rest and a better shooter could probably do even better. I've never shot competition in my life.

Oh, and one more disclaimer...
The Tikka will hang right with my 700 5R Milspec at half the weight...maybe even better it. And all those .308 groups were shot with a 'cheap' Leupy 6x36. All in all, not exactly a precision setup....

But, TEHO I guess...
Yeah, okay. That's it. LMAO. C'mon man.

I have rifles that cost $300 new. And rifles that I have over $5-$6K into. Unlike yourself, I am not a fanboy of any brand, and am able to see each one for what they truly are, and are not. AND admit same. My feelers don't get hurt if somebody doesn't like one.

I have A Vanguard that drives roofing nails out of cardboard boxes. That is how I used to practice field positions. Throw a box full of nails out in the field and drive them out of the box. It sells for less than a Tikka. As do my 700 ADLs. Both are better designs IMO, and both offer more for the price. And I couldn't care less of who likes them or who doesn't.

You'll never hear me try to justify my rifles the way in which you repeatedly do yours. Same picture over and over again.

Clearly you are the one that is butt-hurt. Rifle envy is a terrible thing.........
$600. For one action length, plastic parts, aluminum lug, and beyond horrific customer service and replacement part prices.

Tell me what your Tikka offers that my $379 ADL doesn't offer. Or my $399 Vanguard. I can assure you both shoot more than acceptably well. Or a $300 RAR.

Where's the extra $200-$300 of value??
Nice groups Mojo, what 6x reticle do you use? OEM turret?

Yep, imagine how well a T3 would shoot with STEEL parts, Lug, better cs service and replacement parts!

I suppose there is a reason 7+ MILLION Remington's were just recalled, And there are SO many aftermarket parts for a product that is, The BEST IN THE WORLD as old Swampman loved to say.

My STEEL bolt handle fell right off the bolt body on my former 700 338-06. Can't see how an OEM T3 can do that....no trigger recalls.....nor cracked magazines or shrouds, or bottom plastic.

Owned many Rems, some OEM were fine, about 1/2 were not, botched crowns, chatter marks in the bore 2" from muzzle, very poor machining of action, broken bolt handle, and more.

A good rifle is a good rifle, regardless of brand, but out the box, my bet goes to T3 if they do not raise the price. S2 IS a better rifle OEM than a Remington, one piece bolt, they need to trim the shank of their bbls to save weight and make more chamberings in Stainless.

Now who wants to start a new biz w/me making aftermarket replacement triggers for those 7 million rifles? Can I buy stock in Timney?
$600. Tell me what your Tikka offers that my $379 ADL doesn't offer. Or my $399 Vanguard. I can assure you both shoot more than acceptably well. Or a $300 RAR.

Yep, I'm the one getting on threads and talking schitt.... oh wait, that's you.

No fanboy here.... there's a couple Rems, a Stevens, a Tikka, and even a Mod 70 in '06 leaning in a closet corner. The last Howa I had, was a heavy barreled .22-250..... it sucked, and cost the same as the Tikka. Vanguards/Howa's have never been good to me.....

Again, WHAT SHOULD YOU GET FOR $500?

Obviously you do care..... or you'd not be on here trying to justify your expensive custom guns, and call people liars....
PS..... I pay $450 for Tikkas...... you pay at least twice that for your ADLs.... once they're in an acceptable stock..... and the trigger is replaced..... and you "do your load work".... etc....
Newsflash. They already did raise the price, significantly. But didn't offer anything in return.

For the price of a Tikka, I can buy ADL with a Timney. And it comes with a recoil lug, metal shroud, and short action to boot.....
Yep, I'm the one getting on threads and talking schitt.... oh wait, that's you.

No fanboy here.... there's a couple Rems, a Stevens, a Tikka, and even a Mod 70 in '06 leaning in a closet corner. The last Howa I had, was a heavy barreled .22-250..... it sucked, and cost the same as the Tikka. Vanguards/Howa's have never been good to me.....

Again, WHAT SHOULD YOU GET FOR $500?

Obviously you do care..... or you'd not be on here trying to justify your expensive custom guns, and call people liars....

Trying to justify expensive custom guns? Where did I do that? You are hilarious. It is YOU trying to justify your overpriced JUNK budget rifle without the budget rifle price tag. You are the only one hung up on my custom rifles. Not me.

Like I said, rifle envy can be a terrible thing....
Yeah, ive read about the lug dents on heavies and its a 5 minute swap out. Four of those minutes being walking to the fridge for a beer.

16B,

I owned three T3 Tikklers in magnum chamberings. One was a stainless Lite in 300 WSM that had hundreds of rounds of factory 180gr ammo through it by me. Sold it to a guy who shot several boxes through it and sold it back to me due to his dislike of recoil. No problem with bent luggette.

Next was a blued T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag. Handloaded 200gr NAB. Sold it as I wanted stainless so I bought a T3 Supertikkler from Cabelas with the uber-cool fluted barrel. Hundreds of 200gr NAB at 2900 fps. No problem with luggette except slight impression, not bent or mangled. I think it takes a couple rounds to get the indent, but from there it doesn't get any worse.

It doesn't take a magnum either. I had another T3 Lite in 270 Win. It had the minor impression shooting 140gr NAB at 2900fps.

Jason
you pay at least twice that for your ADLs

No. I pay less, and get more than any Tikka will ever offer........
$600. For one action length, plastic parts, aluminum lug, and beyond horrific customer service and replacement part prices.

Tell me what your Tikka offers that my $379 ADL doesn't offer. Or my $399 Vanguard. I can assure you both shoot more than acceptably well. Or a $300 RAR.

Well, lets see. Your "competition group" at 500 yards was 1 1/2". This POS was 2 1/2"
[Linked Image]

It might have been better if I had a Nightfart scope on it, but it's a lowly 6x42 M1 up top. Oh, and you'll have to give me some leeway, because it was 505 yards. That load had no ass, but I ran with it.

Soooooo, the extra $221 that you are crying about? I'd give half to the 5 minutes spent with load development and the other half to a trigger that makes the X-Mark look like crap. Oh wait, Remmie took care of that themselves.

And even funnier is a whiner with "100's of gun" complaining about $221.

Newsflash. They already did raise the price, significantly. But didn't offer anything in return.

For the price of a Tikka, I can buy ADL with a Timney. And it comes with a recoil lug, metal shroud, and short action to boot.....

Please explain how the SA is sooooo much better. Type slowly so it sinks in. And the staggering advantage of a metal shroud and TG.
Ah yes, another internet group.

Will any of you ever get it?

Please explain how the SA is sooooo much better. Type slowly so it sinks in. And the staggering advantage of a metal shroud and TG.

Because if I am going to pay more money I expect to get something for it.

Only a fool would pay more for plastic when metal can be had for less. Or for a long action when the appropriate short action can be had for less.

Pretty simple to grasp for most of the shooting world.........

Okay, I'm one internet group over the line again.

An BTW, mine were 1.25" as stated. Half the size of yours. Twice in a row. And I didn't have to shoot all day to get them. Or even shoot more than 5 shots either time. Or feel the need to post the ever popular internet group wink

You kids have fun. And enjoy spooning over your Playskool rifles....

For the record, I had five T3 Tikklers: 223, 270 Win, 300 Win, 300 WSM, and another 300 Win. They all shot great. All of them had the triggers set to minimum (screw all the way out). All triggers were creep and over-travel free except one (had some creep). I don't think there are any rifles in this price range that have triggers this nice, that can go that low.

I liked the stocks for their price range. Stiff fore-end, and mostly free-floated. I prefer a higher comb than what comes on the standard Lite though. The recoil pad is hard, which adds ~$25 for a Limbsaver if you want some cushion with your pushin'.

We know the free rings suck (recoil pin migrated right through the weak alloy on my 300 WSM). And the mag hanging down isn't ideal, but T3 feeding is excellent. Hard to beat a single-stack for feeding?

The single action size doesn't bother me, but the poor gas handling doesn't give me the warm/fuzzy. The stainless wasn't as corrosion resistant as some others. And the safety isn't very positive. I had it disengage on one occassion.

For many people the T3 is a good rifle for a decent price, not a great price. I'd rather pay more and have a 84 Montana... or have one Montana instead of two Tikklers.

I sold all my T3 Tikklers and don't plan on buying another. Just bought a stainless in RAR but haven't shot it yet.

An BTW, mine were 1.25" as stated. Half the size of yours. Twice in a row. And I didn't have to shoot all day to get them. Or even shoot more than 5 shots either time. Or feel the need to post the ever popular internet group wink

Enjoy your WAY overpriced rifles and equal performance.....

Which one are you bringing to CO this summer to school me up?

Only a fool would pay more for plastic when metal can be had for less. Or for a long action when the appropriate short action can be had for less.

Pretty simple to grasp for most of the shooting world.........

Ah, the old Glock vs. Colt whine from the 80's. Thought it sounded familiar. GREAT description of the SA theory.

Well $221muchgun, the pic of yours was stellar. How about the price tag on the rig you shot it with? You should brag about that as well.

Think I'll buy another.......

Some people seem to be constantly on the lookout for something to be pissed off about. In the grand scheme of things, what someone else chooses as equipment for a recreational pursuit would seem to be a trifling matter, as far as directed anger.
"Is there no end to this unjust prejudice against the Red Rider and his Peacemaker?" ~Ralphie
Ooh fuuuuuuudge.....
Except I didn't say "fudge!"
The Tikka is to Sako what the Cadillac Cimarron was to GM.

You never know what some will shell out for a POS when properly associated with a big name, quality brand, unless you try...... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Cimarron

You guys are a lotta fun.............

Good analogy, kinda like you trying to act like Stick.
Sorry, but I don't try to act like anyone.

Does Stick also anger you with facts and his refusal to use junk?
Did you mention the fact that your $4k rig beat a bone stock Tikka? Lemme guess, you're on the 270's are gay wagon too.....

My POS Tikka Superlite 270 (yep) smacked the chit out of a doe last weekend. Now I'm eating tenderloin...grin. Not everybody can drive a Ferrari, but I bet I don't go hungry! Saw a buck step out in a field the other evening, and that SOB turned and did a 180 back in the woods. I'm convinced his sixth sense told him I was getting ready to pick up the Tikka...grin!
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Finnish+rifle+with+flair%3A+Tikka's+M595+Continental+Varminter.-a095680073

"It's a handsome and well-made rifle with a slick action. Accuracy was very good, as seems to be a trait of Tikka rifles. This can be seen in the fact the 1999 British Long-Range Benchrest Championship was won by a Tikka Continental in 6.5x55. Group size was an almost unbelievable 10 rounds into 4.4 inches at 1,000 yards. Anyone looking for an accurate out-of-the-box varmint rifle would do well to consider a Tikka."

What a POS the Tikka's are.....LMBO
LMAO as well. 2 Different rifles made by 2 different companies.

Do you even know the difference between a Continental and a T3?

Obviously not.

Tikka used to turn out some decent rifles. That was before they became the budget line of a former competitor, who was also bought out......
Good morning sunshine!

Tikkaclaus is coming........to town!!!!!

Performance means nothing...... it's all about 'cool factor'... and 'my schitt costs more than yours.'

If you don't spend $3k.... it doesn't matter how good it shoots.... or handles... or kills... it's garbage.

Got a Tikka CTR in .260 on the way..... can't wait for $2kmuchgun to show up this summer and whip it's azz.....
Good morning sunshine!

Tikkaclaus is coming........to town!!!!!

I love it grin

And how are the elves this morning?
Papa Elf has been very busy....
[Linked Image]
Performance means nothing...... it's all about 'cool factor'... and 'my schitt costs more than yours.'

If you don't spend $3k.... it doesn't matter how good it shoots.... or handles... or kills... it's garbage.

Got a Tikka CTR in .260 on the way..... can't wait for $2kmuchgun to show up this summer and whip it's azz.....

It's really, really, not about that at all. But you seem to want to make it that way.

I told ya. But ya won't listen. Your lips are flappin' at the speed of light, but your ears unable to pick up sound. I have rifles that cost $300-$7000. I use them all.

That said, I am able to see each one for what they are. I don't tell everybody my rifles are the most accurate out of the box, post internet groups, or make outlandish claims.

And once AGAIN, I never said a word about Tikkas not shooting well. Quite the opposite actually, if you read.

So where does that leave us?

Would you care to take a jab at how I feel and why? Because apparently I am not fluent enough in the English language to convey my feelings in a manner in which they are accurately received/understood.........

What you got goin' on?
Modified Talley's for all the good little girls and boys.
[Linked Image]
Cool. Why do they have to be modified? Mo' better contact?
Never liked the way they looked sitting on the dovetail, so gave them a little nip and tuck.
[Linked Image]
Yes, I fully agree. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the dovetail, and looks like a$$.

Cool thing is, you can get scope even lower, if you wish.........
Mistem took extra lows to a new low and has a 40mm odjective a gnats ass off the shank. I'm thinking SWFA is the new normal as the 30mm lows are flying off the rack.

It's really, really, not about that at all. But you seem to want to make it that way.

I told ya. But ya won't listen. Your lips are flappin' at the speed of light, but your ears unable to pick up sound. I have rifles that cost $300-$7000. I use them all.

That said, I am able to see each one for what they are. I don't tell everybody my rifles are the most accurate out of the box, post internet groups, or make outlandish claims.

And once AGAIN, I never said a word about Tikkas not shooting well. Quite the opposite actually, if you read.

So where does that leave us?

Would you care to take a jab at how I feel and why? Because apparently I am not fluent enough in the English language to convey my feelings in a manner in which they are accurately received/understood.........

You're the one yappin.... or at least that's all I hear until you show up to shut me up..... I'll run the Tikka.... what are you bringing?

You wrote the check, I'm looking forward to seeing if you can cash it.... I'll be here all summer. You're still coming to CO, right?

If it ain't about performance.... then WTF is it about?
I'm asking you what it's about. Because when I tell you, you don't listen or choose to completely not touch upon what I say. Just post pics of the same 2 rifles, then talk about price of customs compared to Tikkas, then maybe toss in an internet group.

What does Tikka offer you for your money that other rifles like:

Savage 10/110, Remington 700, Howa 1500, Vanguard, RAR, etc. do not? Plastic? Aluminum lugs? Poor CS? One action size? Highly over-priced replacement parts? What? Please don't say accuracy, as I know first hand that every one of them is capable of fine accuracy.

And I'd happily take your money, but let's leave traveling across the country to prove a point to someone you don't even know out of it for now, and concentrate solely on the virtues of the Tikka.

What do you feel it brings to the table that others costing as much or markedly less do not bring?( Notice I didn't say vs. high priced customs).

If you will note, I have told you multiple times what I don't like as compared to other rifles. Yet you have yet to touch upon what you feel is good/better as compared to same.

Do tell......
I'm asking you what it's about. Because when I tell you, you don't listen or choose to completely not touch upon what I say. Just post pics of the same 2 rifles, then talk about price of customs compared to Tikkas, then maybe toss in an internet group.

Savage 10/110, Remington 700, Howa 1500, Vanguard, RAR, etc. do not? Plastic? Aluminum lugs? Poor CS? One action size? Highly over-priced replacement parts? What? Please don't say accuracy, as I know first hand that every one of them is capable of fine accuracy.

And I'd happily take your money, but let's leave traveling across the country to prove a point to someone you don't even know out of it for now, and concentrate solely on the virtues of the Tikka.

What do you feel it brings to the table that others costing as much or markedly less do not bring?( Notice I didn't say vs. high priced customs).

If you will notice, I have told you multiple times what I don't like or is bad compared to other rifles. Yet you have yet to touch upon what you feel is good/better as compared to same.

Do tell......

You said you were going to be here anyway.... and kindly offered to take my money.... and I accept. Bring a gun, talk some more schitt, then let's go run'em on video for everyone here to see.... I'm game, I got cash, a dozen plates, and a place to do it... I'll run the Tikka, bring whatever the fhugkin you want... or you gonna just keep on yapping?

They offer a better trigger, a smother action, a DBM assembly that actually works, a better barrel, and a more serviceable stock than all the rifles you listed.... if we're talking factory to factory offerings. But, you ain't listening anyway.... bet you listen better when the rounds start heading down range.
What do they offer? How about an 8-twist .223 that's super accurate out of the box with a great trigger anyone can adjust?

And yes, accuracy is something to mention, doesn't accurate placement of your bullet count more than anything else?

As far as plastic/aluminum parts, what about plain old reliability, I haven't heard many stories about these rifles breaking down in the field?

I'll tell you what. I will be in Colorado next year. NO BS. Let me know how much money you have to lose, and I'll drive to you.
So are you in?

It'll be great. You will be laffin' your a$$ off when I miss everything beyond 200 yds.....

Yes.... I'm in for a couple hundred..... let me know when.
Whatcha shooting outta the 1:8? .435 BC at 2,900 would be nice, especially with a couple more rigs that like .435'ish BC's that go 2,900'ish FPS.

Spill your guts.

So are you in?

You aren't much on specifics are ya? Why not just say you are a fanboy for no other reason that you own one? Or that you are incapable or unwilling to discuss part for part because you know the Tikka will lose?

And a couple bucks ain't worth my time, or even close. Really, a couple hundred. That's it? To prove nothing about nothing. To prove I can outshoot you, and that the rifle isn't to blame, but merely your poor skill level as compared to mine?

Fan out a couple Gs on the screen, then we'll talk......

Even the Red Baron let Snoopy go on Christmas.

I ain't in for a pissing match, but here's my take and you can use the whole salt shaker if you wish.

Put the same price tag on a RAR, ADL, and whatever else. Tikka is the only one that's the deal now. If Remmie could sell ADL's with fluted barrels for $700, they simply would. As would the rest of them.

The proof as it stands is the slew of Tikkas getting built. Don't see it with RAR's. I paid $479 for a Dick's SS special in 7-08. Shot like schit until I put it in a $500 McMillan. I've not seen a Tikka that wasn't a bullet whore. Accuracy is the biggest piece of the equation in my book, for what I shoot, and where I shoot it. 505 yards is the back of my range and all the distance I care to phuqq with. Just picked up a 1:8 223 for the sole purpose of having a LW rig that dupes the flight characteristics of a 260 w/120 TTSX and 270 WSM with 160 NPT's. And will poke a 'yote, need being. Cheap thrills.

Plastic mag box, bolt shroud, TG, and aluminum lug are the least of my worries and I've yet to see a catastrophic failure of any. And if any did fail, the gun will still function fine. 50 years and Remmie still can't get a trigger right.

So, would I like a $4,000 chunk? Who the phuqq wouldn't. Another $1,200 Montucky? Sure. A simple lesson in diminishing returns says otherwise.

So the real scoop? I could build any phuqqin thing I want. I just like the damn things.

That phuqqin simple.

And doing the rings for fellas has been a ball for the old man and I.

Still waiting to see one that shoots for schit.

What town are you in?
Whatcha shooting outta the 1:8? .435 BC at 2,900 would be nice, especially with a couple more rigs that like .435'ish BC's that go 2,900'ish FPS.

Spill your guts.

Yup on the .435 @ 2900-ish, with the 75 Amax and Var-jay. The thing I like about it though is that it's shot well under an inch with every bullet I've tried, down to 50's, these are my good-shooting loads:

� 60 V-max and 25.5 R-15;
� 60 V-max, 25.5 Varget;
� 60 V-max, 25 Benchmark
� 50 V-max, 26 TAC;
� 50 Gameking, 26 H4895;
� 75 A-Max, 24 Varget; also 22 TAC.

They're all accurate. The 50-grainer with TAC is bug-holishly accurate.
No matter how well it shoots, my Tikka will always be a peasant's rifle.

I learned it won't eject if you load the 10 round mags with 10 rounds by the way.

Travis
And that is fine. I have no trouble with what you are saying.

But for myself, I want a true short action. That is what I like. I want a more substantial recoil lug. I don't think I should have to pay more for a shroud I'm positive I would break if I hunted with it much.

The plastic magazines are fine in function. But in no way justify the price, IMO.

That said, I have dealt with Beretta. It was a HORRIBLE experience both times. And my bud lost a magazine, and the price to replace it was beyond highway robbery.

In short, I feel others offer more value for the price. I have owned 700s, Savages, and Vanguards, to name a few, that will shoot one ragged hole groups. All were priced lower than a Tikka, and all came with metal parts and features that I prefer and consider a better value.

There are a LOT of good choices out there. A lot of rifles that shoot well. My home has been a revolving door of guns 25 years running. I made it a point to try as many as I could. Scopes and knives as well.

I could run a long action Tikka FAR before I could own a Browning A-bort or a Mossberg (again due to design features) but that's about it. But I would have to replace the shroud, factory rings, and recoil lug first.

If the Tikka was priced on par with the RAR it would make more sense. I guarantee you it's production cost is very low, given the parts. You are just paying Beretta more money to import it, plus a tidy profit to boot....

Ft. Collins.... I knew you'd pussy out....
No matter how well it shoots, my Tikka will always be a peasant's rifle.

Sounds appropriate. I call mine a pedestrian rifle. When I hunt, I'm a pedestrian. Or, at the range it's a ho-hum rifle. As in, ho-hum, another hit.

Nobody pussied out. Nor close.

But $200 ain't worth my time nor close. Think about it.

Make it worth my time, or shut it.

I know a lovely little range near Boulder. Even know the owner. You in??
ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!

(Dr. Evil Font)

Clark
Gonna be funny as he11 when I get this fool to talk out his a$$ some more and then he ends up financing my trip..........
Damn.... Just when [bleep] was getting cool. Thought for sure we'd see black hooded men with dark glasses holding fists of cash, and briefcases of money on the table again.... grin

After all.... "You were just going to be there anyhow?"

I'll be referee. No guarantees on sobriety.

Tanner

Nobody pussied out. Nor close.

But $200 ain't worth my time nor close. Think about it.

Make it worth my time, or shut it.

I know a lovely little range near Boulder. Even know the owner. You in??

Yep....
The whole internet call out thing is regard to shooting in ridiculous. And I'm still not even sure what DS thinks it would prove, given the variables.

But---free money is free money and I will take his as easily as I will out shoot him....
So $2000 and what rifle do I get to use??
This going to be straight UBER.

Travis
The whole internet call out thing is regard to shooting in ridiculous. And I'm still not even sure what DS thinks it would prove, given the variables.

But---free money is free money and I will take his as easily as I will out shoot him....

YOU STARTED IT..... see above quote....

YOU TALKED SCHIITT.... then pussied out....

You do have the money, right?

YOU STARTED IT..... see above quote....

YOU TALKED SCHIITT.... then pussied out....

Pussied out? When?

I got $2k here minimum right now I would bet.......
You guys should have a duel. But from 1K yards.

First guy to die loses.

Travis
And wait a minute? Where did I start it?? i believe you started it.

Either way, you will lose money..........
I got a couple hundred..... just like I said all along.

You talked all the schitt.... Now you're trying to get out of backing it up when someone called on it.

YOU offered.... YOU said 'you'd be here anyway'....

Now YOU say your not?
I said $200 ain't worth wasting my time on.

Getting cold feet are you?
I got a couple hundred..... just like I said all along.

You talked all the schitt.... Now you're trying to get out of backing it up when someone called on it.

YOU offered.... YOU said 'you'd be here anyway'....

Now YOU say your not?

Please show me where I started it or offered to shoot with you.

Are you imagining things again?

Post it up............
Either way, you will lose money.

So AGAIN I ASK:

$2k and what rifle can I use? Any I want?
I love it when pussies use the phrase "it's not worth my time.".....

Again, you offered..... I accepted. How about we put no money at a on it at all....
Loser has to hunt with a .270 next season?

I'll be referee. No guarantees on sobriety.

Tanner

[Linked Image]

I ALREADY CALLED DIBS!!
I love it when pussies use the phrase "it's not worth my time.".....

Again, you offered..... I accepted. How about we put no money at a on it at all....
Loser has to hunt with a .270 next season?

Fine. Then you waste your time and money and come to Michigan.....

Here you go..... you quoted the quote yourself.... dumbass....

So are you in?

You aren't much on specifics are ya? Why not just say you are a fanboy for no other reason that you own one? Or that you are incapable or unwilling to discuss part for part because you know the Tikka will lose?

And a couple bucks ain't worth my time, or even close. Really, a couple hundred. That's it? To prove nothing about nothing. To prove I can outshoot you, and that the rifle isn't to blame, but merely your poor skill level as compared to mine?

I think that's called Alzheimer's???

But I'm "done" with this thread again....
No, I mean REALLY this time....
My duel idea is pretty uber.

Especially for the spotter.

"Just off his left foot!"

Travis
@ smokepole- good stuff. Fat Brown Santa is coming to town with 500 Z-max and 600 Amax. Varget, R-15, and H335 sitting in the cabinet. Gonna be a good day Tater. Might have to snag myself a set of rings.

@2muchgun- I hate to think time and money I've wasted chasing my tail with rifles and load development. My prediction is a few initial swipes with a cleaning rod, fasteners torqued, and sub MOA groups by shot #6. Should it pan out (as it did with my '06), the "extra" $200 is easily money in the bank. If it don't, you'll hear about it.

Again, lotsa things that are a deal breaker for you, don't matter to me. Mag price, action length, bolt shroud. It is what it is.

There are individual rifles from every manufacture that just plum shoot lights out from the get-go, but I would argue that Tikka has the track record.
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....

Here you go..... you quoted the quote yourself.... dumbass....

So are you in?

I think 2muchgun drank 2muchgin.

It happens. This I know.

Travis
My duel idea is pretty uber.

Especially for the spotter.

"Just off his left foot!"

Travis

I'll bring the Budweiser and wife beaters . I'm sure Tanner will be drinking his cinnamon "whiskey."
Originally Posted by joshf303

I'll bring the Budweiser and wife beaters . I'm sure Tanner will be drinking his cinnamon "whiskey."

A Texan couldn't fling a bullet past the 500 without going full cross-eyed.

Travis
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by joshf303

A Texan couldn't fling a bullet past the 500 without going full cross-eyed.

Travis

We'll save that for Round 2??? grin

I promise I will remember I typed that tomorrow if I forget I was done with this thread again.

The only way this works is 2 guys show up, one guy leaves with 2 rifles. I'd take the Pepsi Challenge with a lot of schit, but there ain't a phuqqer on here I'd waste my time with doing this kinda schit.

And it ain't going to happen anyway, so nobody needs to get their hopes up.

'twas a day on the 'fire and all on the net,
2 fools were bitching and making a bet.

(You brainy acts finish it)
On the other hand, it would be a good reason to get together and have a weekend shoot in the grasslands east of Ft. Collins. I hear DS has a good "range" up there and it's a heck of a lot closer than the icebreaker. Camping on public land too, could be a good time.

DS and 2MG could be the main event, the rest of us could just shoot. Travis could host some duels, with playoff brackets and sudden death.

I'd kick in a $100 or two to make it worth 2MG's time. Any other takers?
You're welcome to shoot up here anytime.... so is 'flave, though by appointment only (you need time to prepare for a man of his stature).
'Flave needs to run the peasant rifle....
I'll bring this POS down there.

But Colorado seems like an awfully long drive to meet people that aren't me.

Although if I am passing through there I would like to shoot.

Travis

No. I just collect powder and bullets and 100s of guns to go with them. And post pics of dead things regularly.

[Linked Image]

It'll be fun. Last time I shot for money, I tied Karl Feldkamp in a 600 yd egg shoot. We split the pot.

I was shooting this lil old 308 that George Gardner built me:
[Linked Image]

IIRC Eddie Fosnaugh and I tied for 3rd place that day in the target shooting. Karl came in 2nd and a guy name Tony H. who works for Trijicon took 1st. I also printed some 5 shot 1.25" 500yd groups during competition. Twice. I believe our own Superseal110 and Shotgun4fur witnessed those personally, also. Feel free to ask any of them.

I have NEVER, EVER felt the need to brag of my shooting abilities, or make wild claims, or post "internet groups". Or challenge folks to shooting matches. It's just dumb. Just not my style, and most here who actually know me, know I don't need to prove anything to anyone. But if you wish to talk down to me, or question if I even shoot or not, which is ludicrous, well I can show you first hand when I come visit my brother. I will make a one time exception for you only. Providing you make it worth my while, of course. I'll have a fistfull of cash, rest assured.

So are you in?

I will be there. Not sure I will hit any targets, but I will be there.

Tanner
Tanner---Is he as dumb in person as he is on the net?

Read the above quote with the nice pitchers in it.

He takes a quote in which I was clearly talking to Dogcatcher, says it right on the screen "Dogcatcher" and wraps quotes around it like I was talking to him. Or he answered when I speaking to someone else and I never knew it. Of course, that would go back to his reading ability(or lack thereof).

Or does he just not know his own screen name??

Unbelievable.

So how many times have I asked this now?

$2k and which rifle can I shoot?

I haven't left my couch in nye over 2 years so I cannot answer your first question with any honesty.

If you are going to be in Colorado anyways, you should just come shoot. We always have a good old time (or so I've heard). There are big targets (for me) and little targets (for me to miss), and lots of prairie dogs to shoot.

Tanner
That does sound like fun. And I'm only giving your buddy a hard time. He ain't so bad.

I am actually trying to put together a muley hunt for next year. As usual, I need to get my brother off his a$$.

He is in Evergreen, with some other folks I know......
I am pretty stupid.... and I've had more than one black eye that I certainly deserved for running my mouth. If that's what needs to happen here.... then so be it....

Come on out, shoot all the steel you want.... I'll even put you on some pasture poodles. But, it's gonna be on video.... and one of us is gonna have a mouthful of crow.

Like I've said a dozen times before, I bet there'd be a lot more laughing and high-fives..... than schitt talked.... if rounds were actually flying.
I seriously just may do that. Sounds like fun to me.

As of now, mule deer season would be the estimated time of arrival.....
Travis: you need to get out more.

Do tell......

It's just a rifle. Nobody is trying to make it more than it is, however the difference is it is not hard at all to find a bunch of examples of Remington 700's that have major mechanical issues and it is hard as heck to find someone that HAS HAD major issues with T3.

This is what it offers-

Over Savage 110's- everything. A stock worth a flip, a trigger that's not Glock stupid, more consistency in barrels, a DBM that works, and if one cares about such things the smoothest action made.

Over Remington 700's- Significantly better barrels with chambers cut straight, crowns cut straight, triggers that actually work and are as good as most replacement triggers for 700's, safeties that work, bolt handles that don't pop off, and a useful stock (though it's still crap), and if one cares about such things the smoothest action made.

Over Howa/Vangard- better barrels, generally better twists, generally better stocks, a DBM that works, and if one cares about such things the smoothest action made.

Over a RAR- better barrels, WAY better stocks, a trigger that's not Glock stupid, and if one cares about such things the smoothest action made.

I could give two flips about recoil lugs, shrouds, or plastic mags. None of them have proven to be an issue- plastic being the least. The pistol I'm issued is plastic, the mags are plastic, the holster's plastic, the mags for my rifle are plastic, even some plastic sights have proven to be less prone to breakage than the best metal ones.

In short I won't say the Tikke T3 is the "best" it is the one that you can be most assurd will just work without having to screw with it. Everyone tries to make the new inexpensive rifle out to be the "most accurate" ever, the RAR being the newest one. Two weeks ago I had a dude that was doing exactly that with his RAR and how it NEVER shot more than MOA. Funny things was when he brought it out it never shot even close to MOA. Like most he taken one or two groups that happened to land the shots under an inch, and then BS'ed himself that it was him "if he did his part". Now the RAR's have shown a tendency to be good shooters, but they ain't even close to the no fuse easy accuracy of T3's, at least those I have seen.

All of those manufactures may make a good gun, but only Tikka produces a normal hunting rifle that I could take out of the box, mount a scope, zero, and do VERY well in most major LR/Tac matches.

Go to the gym with all the douche bags?

Eat out?

Church?

No thanks. If I'm not drinking in front of the computer I'm doing something fun.

Travis

Do tell......

It's just a rifle. Nobody is trying to make it more than it is, however the difference is it is not hard at all to find a bunch of examples of Remington 700's that have major mechanical issues and it is hard as heck to find someone that HAS HAD major issues with T3.

This is what it offers-

Over Savage 110's- everything. A stock worth a flip, a trigger that's not Glock stupid, more consistency in barrels, a DBM that works, and if one cares about such things the smoothest action made.

Over Remington 700's- Significantly better barrels with chambers cut straight, crowns cut straight, triggers that actually work and are as good as most replacement triggers for 700's, safeties that work, bolt handles that don't pop off, and a useful stock (though it's still crap), and if one cares about such things the smoothest action made.

Over Howa/Vangard- better barrels, generally better twists, generally better stocks, a DBM that works, and if one cares about such things the smoothest action made.

Over a RAR- better barrels, WAY better stocks, a trigger that's not Glock stupid, and if one cares about such things the smoothest action made.

I could give two flips about recoil lugs, shrouds, or plastic mags. None of them have proven to be an issue- plastic being the least. The pistol I'm issued is plastic, the mags are plastic, the holster's plastic, the mags for my rifle are plastic, even some plastic sights have proven to be less prone to breakage than the best metal ones.

In short I won't say the Tikke T3 is the "best" it is the one that you can be most assurd will just work without having to screw with it. Everyone tries to make the new inexpensive rifle out to be the "most accurate" ever, the RAR being the newest one. Two weeks ago I had a dude that was doing exactly that with his RAR and how it NEVER shot more than MOA. Funny things was when he brought it out it never shot even close to MOA. Like most he taken one or two groups that happened to land the shots under an inch, and then BS'ed himself that it was him "if he did his part". Now the RAR's have shown a tendency to be good shooters, but they ain't even close to the no fuse easy accuracy of T3's, at least those I have seen.

All of those manufactures may make a good gun, but only Tikka produces a normal hunting rifle that I could take out of the box, mount a scope, zero, and do VERY well in most major LR/Tac matches.

Helluva post Formid....
I'd say after 52 years of making M700's, Remington and the rest of them have done all they can to make their stuff look like a Tikka.
I would like to add that I don't think a RAR is in the same category as a Tikka. Nor is a Savage.

Howa's most definitely are and I would take a Howa over most any Tikka any day.

Travis
I would like to add that I don't think a RAR is in the same category as a Tikka. Nor is a Savage.

Howa's most definitely are and I would take a Howa over most any Tikka any day.

Travis

Do you run Howa factory rifles or use the actions to build on?

If you run the factory rifles do you typically do any upgrades?

If you build on them, does your gunsmith bitch about the metric threads?

I've looked at Howa 1500's before. They seem nice and the price is right, I just haven't tried one.

Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

Do you run Howa factory rifles or use the actions to build on?

If you run the factory rifles do you typically do any upgrades?

If you build on them, does your gunsmith bitch about the metric threads?

I've looked at Howa 1500's before. They seem nice and the price is right, I just haven't tried one.

Have and do shoot both. No flies on a factory tube from Howa IME. Only reasons I have replaced the factory tubes are due to twist rate or contour.

McMillan and a Timney works wonders, but the new factory offerings regarding triggers and stocks (depending on model) are more than serviceable IMO.

If you have a gunsmith that bitches about metric threads, find another gunsmith.

Try one. They're a Sako clone. Which is more than can be said for any of the other "budget priced" POS that are out there.

Travis

Seems like a good answer to the original question.....

.....only Tikka produces a normal hunting rifle that I could take out of the box, mount a scope, zero, and do VERY well in most major LR/Tac matches.

Go to the gym with all the douche bags?

Eat out?

Church?

No thanks. If I'm not drinking in front of the computer I'm doing something fun.

Travis
Can you do pullups while drinking beer? If not TAK is not impressed.

Do tell......

This is what it offers-

Form just nailed down everything Tikka but I am sure using logic and actual experience will make no difference to those inclined to an irrational, fanatical hatred of the Tikka.
LMAO as well. 2 Different rifles made by 2 different companies.

Do you even know the difference between a Continental and a T3?

Obviously not.

Tikka used to turn out some decent rifles. That was before they became the budget line of a former competitor, who was also bought out......

2MG, yes I do know the diff in the 2 models, but did you say they are two different companies? Tikka and Tikka?

Do not confuse budget priced T3 with performance.....

Funny a Tikka production rifle won that 1K shoot, never heard of even a custom shop produced Remington 40XB winning one.........
I'd say after 52 years of making M700's, Remington and the rest of them have done all they can to make their stuff look like a Tikka.

Good morning sunshine! grin

This post is ridiculous. I don't see it. What looks like a Tikka or has been copied from a Tikka?

700s design features on the other hand, well.......highly copied.

Formy----your post is 80% opinion/gross generalization. Not impressed.

HBB---Irrational? Why? Because I like true short actions, substantial lugs, and steel over plastic is that irrational? Seems logical to me, whether you agree with these preferences or not. Plus I hate dealing with Beretta, and it seems I'm not alone, nor close, in that regard.

6.5BR---Yes, 2 different companies. 3 different companies if you count Beretta. 2 completely different rifles. Comparing the 2 is ludicrous. I notice Tikka likes to take credit for this on their website. Which is funny, given the actual facts. I guess some do actually buy into it though. Apparently, it's about all they have to lay claim to, even though they deserve none of the credit and produce no such rifle.

And I'd bet money on a 40X over a Tikka in shoot out all day long. But again, as stated 20000000000000 times, poor accuracy isn't the reason why I won't buy a Tikka.

FWIW, the Howa 1500/Vanguard are very good rifles with excellent actions worthy of building upon. And they shoot every damn bit as good as a Tikka.

The Tikka has great trigger IMO. I like them. Mine is set @ 19 ozs. right now. Barrels are good, but simple hammer forged affairs that are not costly to produce, nor do they clean any better than any other factory tubes in general. At least my Sako barrels don't. They don't mine copper like a Savage, but what does? They don't shoot any better than Savage either though IMO.

Another factor, is that I like as much of my money to go to American companies as possible. I would hate to see what has already happened to some of my favorite USA optics and USA cutlery companies happen to one of my favorite USA firearms companies. And I'll not be a part of it by purchasing foreign made rifles when perfectly good USA made ones exist. I know some don't care, but I do.....

Bring a factory Howa out to Colorado.... I'd love to see it next to the Tikka. Obviously you have a couple.... as you seem hell-bent on extolling their virtues on a post that doesn't have anything to do with them.

I've had Howa/Vanguard..... they sucked balls. Accuracy was always mediocre, and they need both a Trigger and Stock.

If you had $600.... and had to shoot that rifle at fur/steel/targets out to 600, outta the box with no aftermarket parts.... what would you buy? Think it'll put shoot the Tikka?
Two things:

1.) Howa's are made in Japan.

2.) Dogshooter has bad luck with purchases.

Travis
As typed on your American made computer....

Just because something is made here, sure the hell doesn't mean its #1. You couldn't give me a Chevy.

Take a gander at what the big boys are throwing out to "compete" with Tikka and its a far cry from coming close. I see lotsa clip fed closed top receivers.

Tikka is sucking boat loads of market share and Remmies off the rack continue to get worse. Thank the USA unions for that.....

Or so they say.....

Know a guy who bought a Remington SPS 270 this year, threw a scope on it, and killed a deer at 375 yards two days later. Granted he isn't going to use it too hard, but it would appear they're still good enough to kill chit.
Originally Posted by starsky
Know a guy who bought a Remington SPS 270 this year, threw a scope on it, and killed a deer at 375 yards two days later. Granted he isn't going to use it too hard, but it would appear they're still good enough to kill chit.

I fly a HUGE bullschit flag when I hear people say that "new" Remingtons won't shoot.

Travis

Tikka is sucking boat loads of market share and Remmies off the rack continue to get worse. Thank the USA unions for that.....

Or so they say.....

Bass Pro just started selling them. That means all the big chain outdoor stores do now.
Originally Posted by pointer
Can you do pullups while drinking beer? If not TAK is not impressed.

I've been known to do all sorts of amazing things hungover. Or drunk.... grin.

[Linked Image]

Dave

So if tikka is gaining marketshare here in the us, why the hell wont beretta import more models?? I want a third ss syn superlite in 243 dammit! But id settle for a 7-08 i guess.

Held a tikka compact at SH today, would make a great youth rifle for those with youngsters
16bore, i will not buy another chevy either!

Hmmm, do the Finns make any trucks?
Originally Posted by SlimShady
So if tikka is gaining marketshare here in the us, why the hell wont beretta import more models??

You must understand the only institution that has been in "business" longer than Beretta(500yr) is the Vatican. They only have to satisfy their business plan, not shareholders, as they are family owned, and most of all not you.
Dang their business model!
Wonder what portion of their sales are in the US compared to everywhere else?
Wonder what portion of their sales are in the US compared to everywhere else?

I don't have a clue but I suspect it would be a sizeable but nowhere near the majority, a lot like Toyota or Honda.
Re: USA mfg., I am all FOR American mfg products, IF they are competitive in quality and price. Not all are in one or both areas.

Politics aside, I simply look at performance and value. As to Beretta and Tikka, true the bought out Sako/Tikka, but last I knew there was only 1 plant mfg Tikka. Models change sure, just like Sako, Rem, and all others. Fact is Tikka has a strong record in performance across their models. Many shooters and Smiths alike are learning they are great out the box, and also are easy to re-barrel (standard threads despite being mfg. overseas), often not needing truing, and coming with a side bolt release and very usable OEM trigger, and they are slick as glass when working the bolt.

I only have myself to make happy, and my T3 does when I shoot it. Yes Rem's often shoot fine, but many find they need tuning or work to reach their potential. My current 700 shoots well and unless the bolt handle falls off like one in the past I owned, it should continue to do well, with Timney trigger and Bartlein bbl.
First 5 123 Scenars outta the new CTR .260 today..... full report to follow......

[Linked Image]
Nice.
That kinda sucks. Now you gotta go find something to fiddle with.
First 5 123 Scenars outta the new CTR .260 today..... full report to follow......

[Linked Image]

SiCk.....
Looking forward to the report.
Nice Tikka DS.

Do you shoot in these "sniper matches"? I am hoping to shoot in one this year.

Travis

[Linked Image]
What are you doing with 'my' rifle? Heck, I even have my name on the target!

Great group! I'm thinking I could easily like the CTR in 260.
'bore...... that's exactly what I thought.... "damn, that was quick." That group is shots #25-29.... no cleaning.... no 'break-in'....

'flave...... no 'sniper matches' for me.... but I did enjoy the SRM. The whole 'sniper' side of it just isn't my style. I'm sure a guy could do just fine at one with this rig as its set-up with the SS 3-15.

'pole..... come on up and give it a run anytime....

Josh..... bringin' it to TX in Feb.... you can shoot a coyote with it then...

pointer..... it says 'Tyler Tikka'.... because I put it together for my brother. I have another one here (.260 also) for me. It had some trigger issues yesterday.... light primer strikes.,I took the bolt apart last night and wiped it down.... now all is fine.

Note: I went back and looked at a bunch of old groups from great rifles.... I could only find two 5-shot groups better than the one above.... that's outta $3000-$5000 custom rifles.
The slight wind during testing blew some of the flinched-off trigger jerks back into the group....luckily.

laugh
'pole..... come on up and give it a run anytime....

Love to, but I'm afraid I might break the plastic magazine or the crush the recoil lug?? grin

Seriously though, I'd like to come up and do some shooting after I get out of this sling on my arm, January 21st.
© 24hourcampfire