Home
Posted By: JonS 300 Win mag vs 300 Weatherby mag - 09/16/15
I have a chance to go on a longer range elk hunt later this fall. Shots will be from 200-600 yds. I'm comfortable out to 700 with my heavy barreled 308.

Bought a 300 Win mag barrel for my encore, may have a shot at a 300 wby mag for not too much money.

Is one preferable for elk at longer ranges, in my limited research, my 308 is not packing quite the energy I would like at 600 yds.
The 300 win mag will get there with more ooomph for sure with a 165 or 180 either partition or game king.
Is the weatherby going to get it done any better.
I will be practicing quite a bit with either rifle set up once a great load is found.
What are your recommendations on bullet weight?
How much more kick should I expect with a weatherby mag than a win mag? If I hunt with it this year and do ok, how much more will a brake lessen impact in the future. I don't particularly like recoil, but know recoil felt = energy downrange.
Thanks for entertaining my thoughts,
Jon
I see zero reason to go wby mag over win in your scenario.

Smart man once said "Critters can't read headstamps. BULLETS are what matters"

Find a bullet you like - TTSX, Partition, GMX - whatever and then use that in the Win. Be fine.
Buy a 7mm rem mag.... grin wink
2 bucks a piece for brass, why would you not go Weatherby? Hahaha. I have the Weatherby and love it! I load it down to Win Mag velocities to save brass. But I wish I would have went with the Win Mag. Mainly because I see brass everywhere for it. They do say the long neck on the Weatherby case is easier on the throat than a Win Mag, giving a little better barrel life....
After reading the Scenar thread on here, a 155 in that 308 should work?
I don't particularly like recoil, but know recoil felt = energy downrange.

This is only true for folks who don't use a muzzle brake.

You can fire Barnes 270 grainers at 2,950 feet per second through my .375-.416 Rem Mag holding it like a BB gun twenty or thrity times without leaving a mark on your shoulder. Since I use electronic hearing protection/enhancers my ears don't suffer as much as the guy without a brake.
Wish you luck on your elk hunt. Your 300 Win. Mag. is more than enough for the task. In a 300 mag. I like 180 or 200 grain bullets. The 200 grain bullets are my fav.
Take your 308 load up some 155 Skinners and Rock that.

Take care.
Originally Posted by JonS
I have a chance to go on a longer range elk hunt later this fall. Shots will be from 200-600 yds. I'm comfortable out to 700 with my heavy barreled 308.

Bought a 300 Win mag barrel for my encore, may have a shot at a 300 wby mag for not too much money.

Is one preferable for elk at longer ranges, in my limited research, my 308 is not packing quite the energy I would like at 600 yds.
The 300 win mag will get there with more ooomph for sure with a 165 or 180 either partition or game king.
Is the weatherby going to get it done any better.
I will be practicing quite a bit with either rifle set up once a great load is found.
What are your recommendations on bullet weight?
How much more kick should I expect with a weatherby mag than a win mag? If I hunt with it this year and do ok, how much more will a brake lessen impact in the future. I don't particularly like recoil, but know recoil felt = energy downrange.
Thanks for entertaining my thoughts,
Jon

I have both, in all reallity, the 2 have very similar performance, not enough to worry about and both do the same job.
I run 200gr Accubonds in both. Recoil of either is about the same, both of my rifles weigh about the same.
If you don't like recoil, a 180gr Accubond is a good choice, I don't like using bullets lighter than 180gr in 30 magnums, that's where they shine.

If you handload, H1000 or RL25 are great choices in either magnum with either WLRM or Fed 215 primers.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by Ringman
Since I use electronic hearing protection/enhancers my ears don't suffer as much as the guy without a brake.

Or the guy next to you at the range.

But what about the guy with electronic hearing protection and no brake, do his ears suffer as much as yours?

Jon, all things being equal (Price) have you thought about a .300 WSM?

I'd say, if you can get a .300 Wby cheap, go for it. 50 or 100 pieces of brass is a one-time purchase if all you use it for is an annual elk hunt. Or just get some Wby factory ammo, shoot it, and when you run out reload it.
smokepole,

Originally Posted By Ringman
Since I use electronic hearing protection/enhancers my ears don't suffer as much as the guy without a brake.

Or the guy next to you at the range.

But what about the guy with electronic hearing protection and no brake, do his ears suffer as much as yours?

The other day there were three of us at the range. I was at one end, another abopout four benches away, and the other guy another three or four benches away. All under the roof. One guy was firing an unbraked .280AI. The other fellow was firing an unbraked 7mm Rem Mag. My rifle was a 6.5SLR; which is about like a .26 Nosler. It has a Terminator 3 brake.

I thought the 7 Mag was louder than mine so I went to the .280AI guy and asked if my rifle was much louder than the 7 Mag. Without any hesitation he emphatically stated, "That 7 Mag is a lot louder than yours!"

One time I decided to do an informal test at my house with three guys who are not shooters checking me firing my .375-.416 Rem Mag. There are large oak trees all around. The load was 98 grains of MRP behind a 300 Sierra. I had my dad about fifty feet behind me, my brother beside me (suggested he get back but he wouldn't), and my uncle maybe ten feet behind and to the side of me. They had no idea what the brake is. All three agreed the shot without the brake was loudest. Different rifle produce sound differently. Period.

Never the less, everyone at the range should use very effective hearing portection.

But what about the guy with electronic hearing protection and no brake,

At least he's doing something right.
I agree, but not for the same reason.
300 WTHBY, 300 WIN, 300 WSM are too close to differentiate. If you already have one, work up a load and be happy. No sense in spending more on something you dont have, unless you want to.

I wouldn't consider much of an increase in performance unless you want to step up to a 300 RUM or even better a 308 Baer (300 wthby IMP).
I agree with tarheelpwr. It's not about the power as much as it is about a well placed shot.

Does not matter what the critter is... If you shoot it in the lungs, it's going to die.

Shot placement is what it's all about. Sure, a .30 cal mag of any flavor is going to increase the distance that you can take an animal. But make sure that you're accurate in what ever you do. I'd hate to take a poor shot at a long distance and wound an animal instead of making a clean kill.

Just my thoughts. Good luck in whatever you choice you make.

jeff
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
300 WTHBY, 300 WIN, 300 WSM are too close to differentiate. If you already have one, work up a load and be happy. No sense in spending more on something you dont have, unless you want to.

I wouldn't consider much of an increase in performance unless you want to step up to a 300 RUM or even better a 308 Baer (300 wthby IMP).
My 300 Weatherby can push a 230 grn Berger as fast if not slightly faster than a 300 Win mag can push a 208-215gr bullets.as for the WSM its not even close to the Weatherby. That's like running a Beagle in a Greyhound race! The 300 Weatherby is closer to the Rum than the Win mag. As for the Baer it doesn't really increase performance it just gets rid of the double radius shoulder.I can run with the Rums with the right powder.
[quote=l..as for the WSM its not even close to the Weatherby. That's like running a Beagle in a Greyhound race! [/quote]

Are you saying a 300 WSM won't kill an elk at 600 yards? That's like saying you need a greyhound to run rabbits.
Originally Posted by smokepole
[quote=l..as for the WSM its not even close to the Weatherby. That's like running a Beagle in a Greyhound race!

Are you saying a 300 WSM won't kill an elk at 600 yards? That's like saying you need a greyhound to run rabbits. [/quote]

Hahaha.
No it will kill a Elk at 1000 yards. But saying the 300 WSM and the Weatherby are so close you can't tell the difference is wrong. I shoot both and the WSM wont touch the Weatherby in velocity or energy. It wont hang with the Win Mag when both are reloaded to their full potential...
I bought a 300 win (Tall) mag barrel for my Encore and am going to play with that this weekend. At 6'4" and 200-210 lbs, I'm sure it won't be too bad, but I want to shoot it a bunch between now and then, so we'll see.
Going to load some up tonight and head out to do some load development.
Starting with 180 and 165 grain bullets, got some in partitions and game kings.
Originally Posted by logdog
But saying the 300 WSM and the Weatherby are so close you can't tell the difference is wrong. I shoot both and the WSM wont touch the Weatherby in velocity or energy.

I guess it all depends on who's trying to tell the difference. To a guy who's interested in numbers on a chronograph, it makes a difference. To a guy who wants to kill an elk at 600 it doesn't. Except in the money he lays out for the ammo or brass.

More case capacity Is more velocity, plain and simple....The Elk wont no the difference at 600, but a WSM is no Weatherby. No matter how you put it. I can run a Weatherby down to WSM Velocities and the brass would last for many years.
The WSM is a great cartridge, but it is the most limited as far as performance, of the 30 magnums.
More case capacity Is more velocity, plain and simple....The Elk wont no the difference at 600...

And the hunter won't either, except his shoulder. More case capacity is more recoil, plain and simple.

I drive to work every day in a Toyota truck. I could get a big Dodge diesel, and I'd have more horsepower, plain and simple.

I'd still get there the same time. But spend more on fuel.

I have a .300 Weatherby in my safe. It's very accurate. I don't shoot it as much as my other rifles though. There's a reason for that.
More case capacity Is more velocity, plain and simple....The Elk wont no the difference at 600...

And the hunter won't either, except his shoulder. More case capacity is more recoil, plain and simple.

I drive to work every day in a Toyota truck. I could get a big Dodge diesel, and I'd have more horsepower, plain and simple.

I'd still get there the same time. But spend more on fuel.

I have a .300 Weatherby in my safe. It's very accurate. I don't shoot it as much as my other rifles though. There's a reason for that.
No body should ever consider a 30 mag of any flavor if they are recoil shy. If you want big boy performance your going to have to accept heavy recoil. It apparent you like the WSM but the Weatherby will kick the WSM's ass including in the recoil department. I know you are trying to justify your love of the WSM now, in terms of less recoil. But the op already has a 300 win mag so recoil is not a problem. If you going to shoot long range, the rifle is going to kick a little bit.

Recoil....really? Can you come up with anything better than recoil? Come on man.....magnums kick so maybe you'd be better off with a .243....

And by the way,my Dodge Cummins shat a Toyota truck this morning on my way 60 miles to work.
LMAO, I don't own a 300 wsm and recoil doesn't bother me. Fact is, if you shoot more than a dozen or two rounds at a time you're best served by a non-magnum. Some need "big magnums" and big trucks to compensate. They're not needed to shoot stuff at 600. I was at a good LR shoot this spring, targets out to 1980. 30-some shooters and not a Weatherby mag in the bunch. Or a rookie.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Buy a 7mm rem mag.... grin wink

BSA and I agree on 97% of anything gun,people, Winchester ect. BUT make mine 300 Win Mag!!!!!! 190 gr SMK's .. very best WinPoor
LMAO, I don't own a 300 wsm and recoil doesn't bother me. Fact is, if you shoot more than a dozen or two rounds at a time you're best served by a non-magnum. Some need "big magnums" and big trucks to compensate. They're not needed to shoot stuff at 600. I was at a good LR shoot this spring, targets out to 1980. 30-some shooters and not a Weatherby mag in the bunch. Or a rookie.

Nah Smokepole, I'm not compensating I use my big truck for pulling a log trailer, and my Weatherby for the mile plate at the range. I thought we were talking about 30 magnums? Why are dancing around the first debate about the WSM being the same as the Weatherby? I dont get where you are going with compensation and non magnums it has nothing to do with the WSM and the Weatherby. You are off topic, what about the WSM and the Weatherbys performance. I want to see your theory on this. I want to see your facts smokepole.... Show me your ballistic comparison Mr. Toyota. Lets get back on topic there non magnum.....

Who cares what the guys were shooting last spring. I want the facts on our debate topic.......
The topic is killing an elk at 600 yards. You've already acknowledged that the elk won't know the difference. So tell me again why the weatherby is "better."
The topic is killing an elk at 600 yards. You've already acknowledged that the elk won't know the difference. So tell me again why the weatherby is "better."
Lets see... Heavier bullets at higher velocity, less drift and quicker time of flight. Please tell me why it isn't better. Please. Every thing the WSM can do the Weatherby can do better. There is not to many guys over on LRH carrying a WSM for long range elk. Its 300 Win Mag or bigger. There is a reason for this. And its time of flight and energy on target...

If your going to argue tho stuff you should do it with someone who doesn't study this. Every thing I do in long range shooting is for a reason. The 300 Weatherby is the best 30 cal cartridge in terms of barrel life to performance.

A broken shoulder at 600 yards is way better than one that is not. That's the difference in a marginal hit with a Weatherby and a WSM.
A marginal hit with a weatherby is still marginal. Funny that you want to dismiss the shooters at the long range shoot (icebreaker 5) I went to this spring, and then turn around and talk about "the guys at LRH." What is that, a website?

If your going to argue tho stuff you should do it with someone who doesn't study this.

Yes, I should. Because "studying this" on paper will lead you to the conclusion that faster is slways better. Doing it will lead you to the conclusion that bullet placement is what matters, and in that regard less is often more.
A marginal hit with a weatherby is still marginal. Funny that you want to dismiss the shooters at the long range shoot (icebreaker 5) I went to this spring, and then turn around and talk about "the guys at LRH." What is that, a website?
A marginal shoulder shot with a Weatherby has a better chance of success that a WSM. And I wasn't dismissing those guys just sayin it doesn't matter what they were shooting at steel or targets at 1980. We where talking about which of these two cartridges are better. You should check out LRH its a great site. With alot of very experienced long range shooters. And they DON'T use marginal cartridges out of respect for the animal and the sport. Going to a shoot in the spring and participating in the shoot is different. And just because you may have shot some steel at long range one or two times doesn't mean you are a expert on long range hunting. The skill to make a cold bore, first one shot kill on a animal, while in the cold hiking up a mountain is a great achievement. Long range steel hunter huh? Well that's something. Get back to me when you take long range hunting seriously. Like maybe using the proper tools and acknowledge you have alot to learn in this game. I dont know why the facts are hard for you to understand. In long range hunting, velocity BC and mass is the game. Your ignorance in long range hunting makes me wonder why you are commenting in this sub forum.

Ok man you win. A slower Bullet is always better than a fast one. Thanks for enlightening me.

If your going to argue tho stuff you should do it with someone who doesn't study this.

Yes, I should. Because "studying this" on paper will lead you to the conclusion that faster is slways better. Doing it will lead you to the conclusion that bullet placement is what matters, and in that regard less is often more.
What the hell are you talking about? Less is never more in longrange hunting never!!! I dont study on paper I study at the range with a chronograph and a kestrel. I figure out true BCs of bullets thru my rifle. With two chronographs. I actually do the work instead of googling info.

Less is more.hahaha you are not a long range hunter are you?
Your problem is, you know so many things to be true that aren't.

You want to talk about "long range hunting" in general, and the 1-mile plate. The OP asked about shots up to 600 yards. You want to talk about "energy on target" being important but the fact is, "energy on target" doesn't kill animals, a hole in the vitals does. And if you need more "energy on target" than you can get with a .300 WSM at 600 yards, the problem is not with the headstamp.

It's funny that you bring up LRH. When I put together my first dedicated long-range rig, one of the moderators over there helped me spec it out. Ian McMurchy, you may heave heard of him. Great guy, very willing to share his knowledge and a salt of the earth type of guy, very accomplished but also modest. Acknowledged long-range expert and also did a lot with muzzleloaders. His book on muzzleloading: "Modern Muzzleloaders for Today's Whitetails" is still hands-down the best reference I ever read on the subject. Unfortunately he passed away in 2008. His contributions were noted on LRH:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/ian-mcmurchy-has-passed-away-36907/

He also did a lot of culling for Sasketchewan fish and game. One thing I've noticed about guys who kill a lot of stuff for a living is, they don't get hung up on headstamps and tend to use "lesser" cartridges than most others. Wonder why that is?

I remember our discussions like they were yesterday. Ian offered to help me spec the rifle, which was generous and much appreciated. I was mentioning a long list of magnum cartridges including the WSM, and he said "why not the mighty .308?"

I didn't want a .308, I wanted something with more juice. But he convinced me otherwise, citing these advantages, which mostly boil down to putting more rounds downrange:

-Cheaper factory ammo and components, meaning I'd shoot more.
-Easier to reload for and find accuracy.
-Less recoil, meaning I'd shoot more often, and shoot more rounds when I did go to the range.
-Longer barrel life.

He didn't mention this, but since then I've also come to appreciate lighter-recoiling rounds because they're easier to stay in the scope and spot impacts.

So there you have it, those are the advantages of "lesser" cartridges.

You can talk all you want about heavy recoil being necessary, but it's not. Hell, if you want to you can always install a brake, but I choose not to. I'm going to the range tomorrow, I'll shoot somewhere between 100-200 rounds. I don't know anybody who looks forward to doing that with a .300 Wby, or who could avoid getting fatigued shooting 100+ big magnum rounds.
Your problem is, you know so many things to be true that aren't.

You want to talk about "long range hunting" in general, and the 1-mile plate. The OP asked about shots up to 600 yards. You want to talk about "energy on target" being important but the fact is, "energy on target" doesn't kill animals, a hole in the vitals does. And if you need more "energy on target" than you can get with a .300 WSM at 600 yards, the problem is not with the headstamp.

It's funny that you bring up LRH. When I put together my first dedicated long-range rig, one of the moderators over there helped me spec it out. Ian McMurchy, you may heave heard of him. Great guy, very willing to share his knowledge and a salt of the earth type of guy, very accomplished but also modest. Acknowledged long-range expert and also did a lot with muzzleloaders. His book on muzzleloading: "Modern Muzzleloaders for Today's Whitetails" is still hands-down the best reference I ever read on the subject. Unfortunately he passed away in 2008. His contributions were noted on LRH:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/ian-mcmurchy-has-passed-away-36907/

He also did a lot of culling for Sasketchewan fish and game. One thing I've noticed about guys who kill a lot of stuff for a living is, they don't get hung up on headstamps and tend to use "lesser" cartridges than most others. Wonder why that is?

I remember our discussions like they were yesterday. Ian offered to help me spec the rifle, which was generous and much appreciated. I was mentioning a long list of magnum cartridges including the WSM, and he said "why not the mighty .308?"

I didn't want a .308, I wanted something with more juice. But he convinced me otherwise, citing these advantages, which mostly boil down to putting more rounds downrange:

-Cheaper factory ammo and components, meaning I'd shoot more.
-Easier to reload for and find accuracy.
-Less recoil, meaning I'd shoot more often, and shoot more rounds when I did go to the range.
-Longer barrel life.

He didn't mention this, but since then I've also come to appreciate lighter-recoiling rounds because they're easier to stay in the scope and spot impacts.

So there you have it, those are the advantages of "lesser" cartridges.

You can talk all you want about heavy recoil being necessary, but it's not. Hell, if you want to you can always install a brake, but I choose not to. I'm going to the range tomorrow, I'll shoot somewhere between 100-200 rounds. I don't know anybody who looks forward to doing that with a .300 Wby, or who could avoid getting fatigued shooting 100+ big magnum rounds.
Yea Ian is sorely missed. And By the way, my 300 Weatherby kicks less than my .243. But we were on a discussion about which is better. You have not proven anything to me. So where do we go from here? Do you want to keep puking BS about less is better to someone who knows better or do you want to try your BS on a rookie that has no clue about Lon range hunting. Recoil is not a problem any more so what else can we blame. Maybe expense, well any body that's serious about long range reloads. So that's out.... I never have got fatigued shooting any of my magnum rifles. I have brakes on all of them. Why? because I'm not stupid!!!!! You may as well move on, because I think you are full of crap. And using a .308 for long range hunting proves that.....

Why would you not want to put a brake on a magnum? Noise?

And I never said heavy recoil was necessary. You seemed to think a big magnum means heavy recoil.....wrong.....

You keep saying "600" yards, but if the WSM does it well wouldn't the Weatherby do it better?
No. And I didn't specify 600 yards, Jon did. The guy who asked the question.

Other than that GFY.
No. And I didn't specify 600 yards, Jon did. The guy who asked the question.

Other than that GFY.
Will do 😊.....thanks.

Keep on puking keyboard cowboy.....
Originally Posted by teal
I see zero reason to go wby mag over win in your scenario.

Besides the uber cool Bee factor? grin
Jon even if you own both, not saying that's wrong, you're gonna have a favorite that gets used more, their both Awesome rounds with much history to back them both ,yes muzzle breaks work great and lesson felt recoil but are very loud. They do take getting used to,and demand great hearing protection. TC does not chamber Any WSM round period, if you can shoot any other 300 Bee try it out then compare it to your 300 Win-Mag , by the way i own both ,but still one gets shot more then the other , just works out that way ,are they fun yes but just saying , can one match the other ,yes but it would have to be Custom built , regards n good shooting Jeff p
Had several of both;hand loaded and killed elk with both,and out to about 500 yards. They both flatten elk with good shot placement.Those times I had to stretch to 500 I used 180 gr bullets.

With factory and max hand loads the Weatherby is the faster of the two and this shows more with heavier bullets. Heaviest I've loaded with either one is 200 gr.

All of my rifles have been standard sporter weight with 24-26" barrels and weighing 8-9 pounds.If there is a "secret" to shooting such rifles well when chambered for heavy recoiling cartridges, IME it's to shoot a lot in small doses. Neither the 300 Win nor the 300 Weatherby are cartridges for one session volume shooting.Your body will tell you when it's time to quit smile

That said both are what I'd call "manageable" if intelligently approached, but there is not a vast universe of difference, on game, between them.
Logdog, you're so FOS your eyes are brown. First you say heavy recoil is part of long range shooting, then you maintain you never said it:

If you want big boy performance your going to have to accept heavy recoil.

Recoil....really? Can you come up with anything better than recoil? Come on man.....magnums kick so maybe you'd be better off with a .243....

And I never said heavy recoil was necessary.

First you say a guy who can't handle heavy recoil is better off with a .243, then you say your magnum is braked and kicks less than your .243. So, you can't handle recoil?:

And By the way, my 300 Weatherby kicks less than my .243..... I never have got fatigued shooting any of my magnum rifles. I have brakes on all of them.

First you say, "it's not about shooting steel at the range, it's about carrying your rifle up the mountain and making that first cold bore shot," then you have to ask why someone would not put brakes on their rifles.

Apparently you don't know the answer, so I'll spell it our for you. All my rifles are hunting rifles, and when I'm carrying them up the mountain I don't need the extra weight or a rifle that's unbalanced for shooting from field positions other than off a rest.

If there are any more questions you're having a hard time with, just ask.
Thanks for feeding the troll smokepole...
Originally Posted by Esox357

Yep.
I own a 300 Wby SSK barrel for my Encore. It is the sweetest shooting barrel I own. I love it and it definitely is a laser past 200 yards.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I own a 300 Wby SSK barrel for my Encore. It is the sweetest shooting barrel I own. I love it and it definitely is a laser past 200 yards.

I think that would be a Shilen barrel.

Either caliber is perfectly capable of taking elk at 600 yards and are big improvements over your 308 for the task of killing a 700 lb. animal quickly, humanely, and before they run into a deep canyon that adds hours to your retrieval.

Avoiding the longer more difficult retrieval is why I'm not a single shot fan but that is just my preference. My cousin has a TC Venture in 300 Win mag and this year he bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby because he liked what he saw from mine. With a Zeiss 3-15x50 HD5 with a z600 reticle mounted on it the 12th round down the tube smacked an elk vitals sized rock at 500 yards. At that same range I was able to hit a baseball bat sized branch with round #20. So the accuracy of that particular rifle is excellent as are most 300 Weatherby rifles. But the reason you can find good deals on them used (mine was $260) is that the recoil is pretty stout. If you are recoil shy the 300 Bee is not for you....at least not without a good recoil pad and a muzzle brake.

I like mine for elk stopping power at extended ranges. It isn't ever going to be enjoyable to shoot after 15 or 20 rounds in a day but neither is any 300mag hunting rifle. However smacking steel consistently at 6 or 700 yards is a blast and a great way to prepare for cross canyon shots. If you want another rifle needing a bolt action for big elk way out there is a great excuse to buy one.

What a bunch of sniveling. The difference, although slight, still rests with the Weatherby. You can back this all the way down to a slingshot if you want, but the Weatherby is better.

Plenty of people have killed elk with a 300 Win mag, for that matter I have killed 40 elk with a 30-06 and still feel it is a reliable elk killer. Even though the 30-06 has a good record from experience, I go to the Weatherby because it is that much better than a slingshot...
Originally Posted by shrapnel

What a bunch of sniveling. The difference, although slight, still rests with the Weatherby. You can back this all the way down to a slingshot if you want, but the Weatherby is better.

Plenty of people have killed elk with a 300 Win mag, for that matter I have killed 40 elk with a 30-06 and still feel it is a reliable elk killer. Even though the 30-06 has a good record from experience, I go to the Weatherby because it is that much better than a slingshot...

Sounds like you suck with your slingshot then...
Originally Posted by specneeds
Either caliber is perfectly capable of taking elk at 600 yards and are big improvements over your 308 for the task of killing a 700 lb. animal quickly, humanely....

I don't believe I said the 308 is the ideal long range elk round. My original suggestion was for Jon to check out the WSM. Then dickweed jumped in with his "faster is always better" BS so I gave him some info to the contrary, endorsed by a (then) moderator of his beloved LRH.

Faster is faster, it's not necessarily "better."
Originally Posted by Esox357

46-47 grains of Varget and a 155 should get your 2950 fps in a 24" barrel. Tac is good too if you have some on hand.
Logdog, you're so FOS your eyes are brown. First you say heavy recoil is part of long range shooting, then you maintain you never said it:

If you want big boy performance your going to have to accept heavy recoil.

And I never said heavy recoil was necessary.

First you say a guy who can't handle heavy recoil is better off with a .243, then you say your magnum is braked and kicks less than your .243. So, you can't handle recoil?:

And By the way, my 300 Weatherby kicks less than my .243..... I never have got fatigued shooting any of my magnum rifles. I have brakes on all of them.

First you say, "it's not about shooting steel at the range, it's about carrying your rifle up the mountain and making that first cold bore shot," then you have to ask why someone would not put brakes on their rifles.

Apparently you don't know the answer, so I'll spell it our for you. All my rifles are hunting rifles, and when I'm carrying them up the mountain I don't need the extra weight or a rifle that's unbalanced for shooting from field positions other than off a rest.

If there are any more questions you're having a hard time with, just ask.
Smokepole.....i thought we was moving on...
You just couldn't sleep last night without saying the last word could you? You are so full of your self that you actually think people listen to what you have to say.... Your right Mr. Toyota I can't handle recoil.... There you feel better? What you dont understand puke man, I shoot my Weatherby at the range. Sometimes 50 times or more. So yes I put a brake on my 300 Weatherby. I'm sorry for doing that sir.....

Can't carry a braked rifle up a mountain, do you need a walker or something? A muzzle brake can only weigh a few ounces. Rifle balance... Well now your getting petty....

Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I think that would be a Shilen barrel.

Yes sir, it is.
Rifle balance... Well now your getting petty....

No. Just answering the question you asked. If you don't want to hear the answer, then don't ask.

Can't carry a braked rifle up a mountain, do you need a walker or something?

You talk a good game. How many walk-in Alaska sheep hunts you been on this year?
No. I'm answering the question you asked. If you don't want to hear the answer, then don't ask.
Man your really butt hurt about the debate aren't you? Would it make you feel better if I said you was right this hole time?

Sorry you dont like the Weatherby cause it kicks ya to hard.... Or you can't carry it, or whatever it does to make your vagina hurt....

I can carry it, shoot it and reload for it. So maybe you should save the big boy toys for us grown ups. Please move on Nancy. It exhausting dealing with arm chair experts....
You talk a good game. How many walk-in Alaska sheep hunts you been on this year?

LOL, cat got your tongue?

LOL, cat got your tongue?
Did you just take my periods out of context to make a complete fabricated answer to your question? Wow....

Last word....
No, I'd never take your periods. You seem to enjoy them so much
Alaska sheep hunts.....what the hell does that have to do with the WSM and the Weatherby? Man... You need to move on, cause I still think your full of crap....

Last word...
Hey sport, you're the one who asked if I needed a walker.

You won't see many walkers in the sheep mountains. If you ever get there. I'm betting you won't.

Keep flappin your gums though, it's nothing if not entertaining.
Hey sport, you're the one who asked if I needed a walker.

You won't see many walkers in the sheep mountains. If you ever get there. I'm betting you won't.

Keep flappin your gums though, it's nothing if not entertaining.
Ahh smoke blower I cut timber on mountains, you will never be a winner with that attitude sport. I bet you don't have many friends..... After all this back and forth, you still haven't proved the WSM is better. Why must we debate that you pee sitting down and can't handle big boy toys?

Last word...
This thread reminds me of this awesome skit...

LOL
Why must we debate that you pee sitting down and can't handle big boy toys?

Dog log: That's funny coming from a guy who puts muzzle brakes on all his rifles. Keep 'em coming.
Why must we debate that you pee sitting down and can't handle big boy toys?

Dog log: That's funny coming a guy who puts muzzle brakes on all his rifles. Keep 'em coming.
Smoke crack, I'm sorry you can't balance a braked rifle. Have you run out of counters to the Weatherby vs. WSM? This can't go on for ever. You should get some more sleep. Cause that last one was pretty lame....

Last word...
If you ever want to see what it's like to shoot a rifle without a brake on it, I have some rimfires you could probably manage.
If you ever want to see what it's like to shoot a rifle without a brake on it, I have some rimfires you could probably manage.
Why thank you smoke crack!!! That's really nice of you, considering our difference of opinion. But....i dont want to go up your Sheep mountain and have your annual sheep orgy. But I do like to shoot rimfires at 200 yards. Thinking about putting a brake on my 17 Winchester super mag.

Your getting off topic smoke blower, what about the Weatherby and WSM?
Thinking about putting a brake on my 17 Winchester super mag.

figures......
Having had multiples of each,as well as 300Winny's,300H&H's,300Super's and a single 30-378...I'd greedily take the Whizzum over the Weatherby,even when assuming twin-lugged actions for both. The Whizzum will reap lesser ES/SD values,which pay dividends down the road. Precision trumps speed and I'll feign my "surprise",that boolit particulars have yet to be cited,other than to quip "BC" and "weight" now again. Pretty fhuqking funny schit!

As L/A's go,I'll take the 'Super over the Wby,as case design goes.

[Linked Image]

I've never seen a mountain or a tree either!

The only thing you STUPID Fhuqkers shoot,is your mouths and Imaginations.

A Whizzum Montucky will happily squirt the Skinner Smooch at 3350fps from a 24" spout and if that is "lacking" in terminal affects,it's squarely on the Operator's shoulders. 'Course I've had 'em in S/S Classic Winny/McMillan too,as well as 700 S/A DBM/Hart/McMillan. Hint.

The hypothetical Do Nothing Dumbfhuqkery Tourney is fascinating! Do tell about the 17WSM and cite rifle/glass particulars there too,as I've never even heard of one. Laughing!

P.S. and by the way...removing 4" of spout to yield 20",is the only way to fly. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Frost it with some of "your" "mountain timber" cutting pics,as it WILL be funnier than fhuqk. I'm as at ease in sandbagging,as you are in flaunting your Imagination and Pretend. Hint.

[Linked Image]

I'm laughing soooooooooooo fhuqking hard,I'm crying! Then you added a brake to the conversation and got horned up enough,to start cramming things in your mouth and ass. HILARIOUS!

Do no let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt.

Bless your hearts.................
Your getting off topic smoke blower, what about the Weatherby and WSM?

You dumbass, the topic was shooting at 600 yards.

For that distance, I'll take the WSM. The reasons have already been cited.

Have someone read 'em to you.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Having had multiples of each,as well as 300Winny's,300H&H's,300Super's and a single 30-378...I'd greedily take the Whizzum over the Weatherby,even when assuming twin-lugged actions for both. The Whizzum will reap lesser ES/SD values,which pay dividends down the road. Precision trumps speed and I'll feign my "surprise",that boolit particulars have yet to be cited,other than to quip "BC" and "weight" now again. Pretty fhuqking funny schit!

As L/A's go,I'll take the 'Super over the Wby,as case design goes.

[Linked Image]

I've never seen a mountain or a tree either!

The only thing you STUPID Fhuqkers shoot,is your mouths and Imaginations.

A Whizzum Montucky will happily squirt the Skinner Smooch at 3350fps from a 24" spout and if that is "lacking" in terminal affects,it's squarely on the Operator's shoulders. 'Course I've had 'em in S/S Classic Winny/McMillan too,as well as 700 S/A DBM/Hart/McMillan. Hint.

The hypothetical Do Nothing Dumbfhuqkery Tourney is fascinating! Do tell about the 17WSM and cite rifle/glass particulars there too,as I've never even heard of one. Laughing!

P.S. and by the way...removing 4" of spout to yield 20",is the only way to fly. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Frost it with some of "your" "mountain timber" cutting pics,as it WILL be funnier than fhuqk. I'm as at ease in sandbagging,as you are in flaunting your Imagination and Pretend. Hint.

[Linked Image]

I'm laughing soooooooooooo fhuqking hard,I'm crying! Then you added a brake to the conversation and got horned up enough,to start cramming things in your mouth and ass. HILARIOUS!

Do no let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt.

Bless your hearts.................
Larry! Hows the dog? I am so glad your here, I was worried about which one you thought was best.

Hint....watch out for the quiet guy....
Where is he?
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Thinking about putting a brake on my 17 Winchester super mag.

figures......
That was a joke Shirley.
I feel like you are irritated at me for picking on your life partner Smoke crack.
I get the feeling a picture of a huge tarp as proof of strong elk medicine is coming.....

Where is he?
That's was a good one Nancy!!!
Not nearly as good as watching you do your best Larry imitation, and then tell him to "watch out for the quiet one."

That was priceless!
Between the Win mag and Weatherby I would take the win mag every single time. If for no other reason than cost of brass. There may be some paper advantages of the latter, but in the field (where it matters) i doubt a single person could tell any difference.

With that said, since you estimate 600 yards on the far side of anticipated range, I would rock the .308 and not worry in the least. Especially since you stated you have a bunch of time behind it.

I have personally killed a bunch of elk with the .308 and find it drops elk with no issue.

I don't know what optic you are running on your .308, but if it is something you would like to upgrade, then I would spend money on a new UBER optic over another rifle.
Not nearly as good as watching you do your best Larry imitation, and then tell him to "watch out for the quiet one."

That was priceless!
hey smoke crack!!!!! Larry knows what I mean when I say that. When are you going to stop? I am always right and you are never right. And I bet if i asked you husband or life partner what ever the politically correct term is, he would say you always have to get the last word in.
I'd choose the 300 WinMag between the two. Ballistics are too close to really matter, it's just choosing the bullet for the task.

Where I favor the 300 WinMag design is in the amount of OAL latitude in a Remington 3.6" magazine.
[Linked Image]

7 WSM with the 180 Bergers at 1250 yards
Montana, that is what I have found.. I have both a Wea. and Win. With equal barrel lengths, it would be difficult to find any difference between the two.. The Wea. would have an edge on speed, but it is slight.. But still there..With Rem. long magazine box. It is possible to seat the .300 Win. right to the rifling.. With the Wea. cartridge, the magazine box limits the OAL..
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'd choose the 300 WinMag between the two. Ballistics are too close to really matter, it's just choosing the bullet for the task.

Where I favor the 300 WinMag design is in the amount of OAL latitude in a Remington 3.6" magazine.

Yup.
Win for the win, bullets will bring you there.
I would go with the 30-378 Ultra if you wanting to see a difference.
'dog,

You were fhuqking NEARLY brazen enough to say sumptin' in the firsthand about The Rifle,but you shut right the fhuqk up. Pardon me while I feign "surprise". Laughing!

Same goes your version of "Cutting". Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can afford to "contribute".

Bless your heart.....................

teal,

I get the feeling,that pics are gonna be a bit tougher to conjure now.................(grin)

McQueen Sagepuss,

Bullets matter more than headstamps. Hint.

Pass the 7-08.

Google it.

Laughing!.................

Shane,

I've heard that twist,throat and COAL latitude...do in fact control a platform's potential.(grin)

Having had 'em all,the Montucky Whizzum and it's 3.00"+ COAL latitude,connects the most dots. It has the case design,brass quality,throat,twist,COAL,stock,trigger and wears S/S to boot.

Win/win/win/win...yada,yada,yada.....................

'Hunter,

It's ALL about the bullet and you cited nary a one.

I'm loathe to jump L/A and add belts to the fray...mainly because I've all the T-shirts.

Hint.....................

'06,

My Sako TRG-S 30-378 was easily THE biggest piece of fhuqking schit rifle I've owned in my Life and that's only accounting for a couple/few hundred to reflect upon.

The brass was horrid dog schit to boot.

Proficiency cain't be purchased and Precision trumps decibels.

A Montucky WSM would be hard for me to resist if it was offered in LH.
'dog,

You were fhuqking NEARLY brazen enough to say sumptin' in the firsthand about The Rifle,but you shut right the fhuqk up. Pardon me while I feign "surprise". Laughing!

Same goes your version of "Cutting". Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can afford to "contribute".

teal,

I get the feeling,that pics are gonna be a bit tougher to conjure now.................(grin)

McQueen Sagepuss,

Pass the 7-08.

Google it.

Shane,

I've heard that twist,throat and COAL latitude...do in fact control a platform's potential.(grin)

Having had 'em all,the Montucky Whizzum and it's 3.00"+ COAL latitude,connects the most dots. It has the case design,brass quality,throat,twist,COAL,stock,trigger and wears S/S to boot.

'Hunter,

I'm loathe to jump L/A and add belts to the fray...mainly because I've all the T-shirts.

'06,

My Sako TRG-S 30-378 was easily THE biggest piece of fhuqking schit rifle I've owned in my Life and that's only accounting for a couple/few hundred to reflect upon.

'dog,

teal,

McQueen Sagepuss,

Pass the 7-08.

Google it.

Shane,

'Hunter,

'06,

'dog,

Bigshit, no wonder it was a piece of [bleep] it was a Sako, u liberal junky crank bait suckin bullschitter, where in the hell have you been, we just all luv your dumbass comments. Just makes my damn gassed damming im proud to hear from us ole boy

Laughing dawdling my peckerhead, bless ur heart u dumb fooll

teal,

McQueen Sagepuss,

Pass the 7-08.

Google it.

Shane,

'Hunter,

'06,

Bigshit, no wonder it was a piece of [bleep] it was a Sako, u liberal junky crank bait suckin bullschitter, where in the hell have you been, we just all luv your dumbass comments. Just makes my damn gassed damming im proud to hear from us ole boy

Laughing dawdling my peckerhead, bless ur heart u dumb fooll

Just think how much better they'd be in Weatherby magnums with muzzle brakes, right from the factory.

You could probably even retrofit one with that fancy Weatherby high-gloss wood.
'dog,

teal,

McQueen Sagepuss,

Pass the 7-08.

Google it.

Shane,

'Hunter,

'06,

Stick, standing in front of a tree your wife cut doesn't make you a timber cutter. I doubt you sako was a piece of [bleep]. It doesn't like homosexuals.. punch, I mean pet that dog for me...
Shane,

I know a few handicapped folks that gun 'em from the portside(their "wrong" side),as well as take the strongside hit and gun from their dominant eye...which is opposite.

Sister would be one,who's power is to port,but blinker to starboard.

[Linked Image]

She throws a baseball left handed,casts a fishing pole right handed and shoots right handed. I just stay out of the way.

Montucky handles be forgiving in that regard..............

[Linked Image]

'06,

It's your Imagination...Pretend with it as you MUST. I'll feign my "surprise" that you once again went wellllllllllll outta your way,to refrain all things The Rifle and defaulted once again,to cramming things in your mouth and ass. Congratulations?

You Do Nothing Clueless Kchunts are a fhuqking hoot! Luckily for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "contribute".

Don't let the cat get your tongue,or the couch your kchunt...............

smoke',

Weatherby gets chamberings far righter,than they do rifles. Their most sound offerings,were on receivers that weren't their's and those days have lonnngggggggggg been gone. The 6 and 9-lug offerings are pieces of schit,from any/all angles and the VG is their most sound offering. They still struggle with twist rates,in both their Roy Chamberings and SAAMI Mainstays,which is comical too.

It is amazing that after all these years,they are unable to connect the dots,which bear the fruit.

[Linked Image]

Them that do the least,swoon their rifles the most and that'd be a rather intellesting Dichotomy.

I'm thinkin' that I've prolly suffered 'em in both 6 and 9-lug arrangement,with multiple boltfaces...................

'dog,

I REALLY enjoy your high-pitched nasal whine. I know,I know...cameras are very expensive and you are still saving,while tearing up the Peckerpole Patch. Laughing!

Looking forward to more of your excuses,a fresh batch of Imagination and even more of your Pretend.

Do tell about the sweet "satisfactions" that are your's,as you set on your kchunt on the outside,looking in?!? Don't forget the "particulars".

You "lucky" bitch.

Laughing!....................

Just think how much better they'd be in Weatherby magnums with muzzle brakes, right from the factory.

You could probably even retrofit one with that fancy Weatherby high-gloss wood.
Smoke crack you still mad? Imagine how much better you would be if you let show you how to shoot.....
Why'nt you go saw some logs, instead of leaving 'em here?

You know, the really big logs, so big it takes a trailer behind a pickup truck to haul 'em out!!!!

LMAO.

Why'nt you go saw some logs, instead of leaving 'em here?

You know, the really big logs, so big it takes a trailer behind a pickup truck to haul 'em out!!!!

LMAO.

Yep your still mad. I know!!!! The trees are huge are aren't they...
I'm not mad, just half awake so I thought I'd match wits with you.
I did go to the dark side and put a RH boltgun in the inventory not so long ago. First RH bolt in decades. A RH RAPredator 223. Of course Ruger intro'd a LH a couple months later.

I don't love the RH bolt, but other than that the rifle delivers. For mostly a bipod rig, it's not too hard to live with.

Kind of like a good looking gal who is always ready to please, but has a club foot......sometimes you can overlook the imperfections....grin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Left handed shooters with right hand bolts are a match made in Heaven, especially for competition.

On speed drills, you never have to move your trigger hand to run the bolt. I have a left handed buddy who will amaze you.
I can see where that could be very fast, with some repetitive training.
Shane,

I don't want my lips on the ejection port side of any receiver.

There's lotsa ways to ambi a RAR,whether OEM or aftermarket.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Though I can like to sculpt strongside ergo's.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Got purty quiet,all of the sudden........................(grin)

© 24hourcampfire