Home
Posted By: Lionclaw 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/13/16
What are the heaviest bullets a 9.5 twist in a 26 inch barrel stabilise in a 7mm rem mag. The rifle will be used for long range shooting both hunting and target
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/13/16
It's not the weight you have to worry about, it's the length. Sorry I can't be of more help. I started and stopped with the 162gr. AMax.
Posted By: 30338 Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/13/16
What elevation?
Posted By: Ringman Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/13/16
Lionclaw,

I had a 7 Mag that would keyhole 175 grain Sierra factory loads from Federal. I reloaded the brass to a little higher velocity and they stabilized. Apparently they were on the ragged edge of stability with at factory 9 1/2 twist.
Posted By: Lionclaw Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/13/16
3000ft plus
After a long exhaustive search I narrowed down to 4 manufacturers. Sako, browning and weatherby all offer 9.5 twist Remington does 9.25 But it is my last choice. I like the 155 to 175 grain range. Hornady eld-x has a 162 grain offering with a whopping 615 bc another is a Berger vld in 168 gr. Also like the various lead free offerings in 150 to 165 grain range
Posted By: 30338 Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/13/16
Berger hunting hybrid or whatever they call it in 168 should do fine. My 9.5 twist does well with 180 scenars at 6500 elev. Its a Ruger. It shot the 168 bergers well too. I did not have good luck with the 168 vld.
Posted By: davidlea Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/15/16
My Rem 700 in 7mag key holed the Barnes LRX's with several powders-I hated it because I just knew it would shoot them so good laugh laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/15/16
I would never build or buy a 7 Rem mag today twisted slower than 9.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/15/16
Yep, pac-nor 1-9" on my 7mm WSM. I got a box of those Barnes LRX 168's and am curious to see if they keyhole or not.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/15/16
Originally Posted by davidlea
My Rem 700 in 7mag key holed the Barnes LRX's with several powders-I hated it because I just knew it would shoot them so good laugh laugh

[Linked Image]

David thats pretty wild! smile
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/15/16
Mine's an 8 twist Brux and it'll shoot 180 gr. VLD's as well as, if not better than 168's. I haven't tried the LRX in that gun, but wouldn't bet against it shooting really well.

With your gun, you'll have to find out its limit and stick with it. The top weight will depend on bullet type.

The NPT is always a good hunting bullet, flat based and not overly long for weight. See how heavy a Partition it will tolerate.

Interesting question; let us know what you find.

DF
Posted By: Lionclaw Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/16/16
Many thanks for your informative replies. I would appreciate recommendations on factory rifles with twist rates faster than 9.5. To date the fastest I am aware of is Remington with a 9.25 all the rest I have come across are 9.5
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/16/16
Get a custom barrel if you want to play at long range. Then you can have any twist you want instead of compromising with a factory tube.

Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/16/16
162 ELD-X and 168 Berger will both be fine in a 1:9.5. The heavier options not so much. They might shoot accurately, but you'll lose some BC.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/16/16
Quit screwing around. It's cheaper in the long run. smile

http://bruxbarrels.com
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/16/16
I remember the 28 Nosler coming out with a 9 twist, which works great with Nosler's bullets, not so well with the LRX.

I guess they covered their bases, not as worried about Barnes bullets... laugh

An 8 twist stabilized everything and is optimal, IMO, for a big 7, shooting heavier bullets.

Being a monometal, made out of less dense material, the LRX is long for weight. Length is the issue for twist, not weight.

DF
Posted By: 30338 Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/16/16
Originally Posted by BobinNH

+1
Posted By: keith Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/16/16
Originally Posted by 30338
Originally Posted by BobinNH

+1

+2 Throat it according to the bullet you want to use
Posted By: roninflag Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/16/16
are you shooting deer? elk? or moose?
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/16/16
FWIW my rifle has a 3 groove,1X9 lilija and it key holes the Barnes 168 LRX something awful. 175 Berger, Sierra, NSLR LR accubond no problem.

Lefty C
Posted By: Lionclaw Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/16/16
Elk deer and antelope
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 7mm Rem Mag twist rate - 05/16/16
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
FWIW my rifle has a 3 groove,1X9 lilija and it key holes the Barnes 168 LRX something awful. 175 Berger, Sierra, NSLR LR accubond no problem.

Lefty C

Yep.

That bullet needs an 8 twist.

DF
© 24hourcampfire