Home
Posted By: Xs247 Slow 7-08? - 10/30/16
I didn't have my chronograph with me today, and I wanted to test out a new load in my Tikka 7-08.
I checked my zero at 200 yards, and everything was good. I went back to 350, and ended up dialing + 4.75 moa to get zerod. in order for this to match up in my ballistic calculator, I need to enter a velocity of 2575 fps, which seams about 225 fps flow for 42 grains of varget and a 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip. Every manual, and everyone online seams to be getting around 2800-2850 with this load. Is my rifle really this slow, or is there another factor I may be overlooking?
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Slow 7-08? - 10/30/16
Your scope isn't moving the indicated amount per click.

The BC you are using for your bullet is wrong.

I have no idea if either of these statements are correct, but they are other possible causes of what you are seeing.

David
Posted By: jsthntn247 Re: Slow 7-08? - 10/31/16
Probably the scope. Folks would riot if they knew what percentage of scopes didn't track correctly. I borrowed a 35 Whelen yesterday to use for a "primitive weapon" draw hunt. Zeiss Divari wouldn't track for [bleep].
Posted By: GregW Re: Slow 7-08? - 10/31/16
I'd chronograph - Tons of things can cause that -

Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Slow 7-08? - 10/31/16
My bet is on the scope. I have a Zeiss conquest that tracks close to 1/6" which means a lot more MOA is needed to dial given ranges.
Posted By: Axtell Re: Slow 7-08? - 10/31/16
It's not like Nosler to inflate the G1 BC of their bullets smile

Also, a Tall Test will reveal what the actual 'clicks' per MOA is, factor this into your calculation.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Slow 7-08? - 10/31/16
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
My bet is on the scope. I have a Zeiss conquest that tracks close to 1/6" which means a lot more MOA is needed to dial given ranges.

Would you clarify this please?
Posted By: mathman Re: Slow 7-08? - 10/31/16
I'm reading that as more indicated MOA is required.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Slow 7-08? - 10/31/16
Until you chronograph you are just guessing.

I would not drop dead from shock to see a rifle fail to deliver as shown in a loading manual. It sure would not be the first time.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Slow 7-08? - 10/31/16
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

Would you clarify this please?

Meaning each click equals ca. 1/6" at 100yds rather than the listed 1/4" @100yds. I have owned this scope for several years and it has been this way since day one. I have verified this out to 800 yds. It is on my main calling rifle and gets lots of use.
Posted By: selmer Re: Slow 7-08? - 10/31/16
Without a chronograph, all you have is a bad guess.
Posted By: selmer Re: Slow 7-08? - 10/31/16
Without a chronograph, all you have is a bad guess.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Slow 7-08? - 11/02/16
Did you enter the correct twist and the correct BC for the twist in your rifle.

Example my 264 win has a crap factory twist of 9. The 140 gr, Berger BC has to be deflated from.307 to .295 G7. I believe off the top of my head.

That slower twist will make it appear that the rifle is slow to get the numbers to match your ballistics calculations.

Matching the bullet to the twist and actual BC with said twist will reveal the velocity clearer. The important part is to enter all values in the ballistic calculator exactly.
© 24hourcampfire