Home
Posted By: Jeff_O Hey you Talley guys - 03/09/17
I wanted a bubble-level top ring, similar to what Nightforce offers for their rings, for my rifles with Talleys. This is what the Nightforce unit looks like if you aren't familiar. This is on my heavy LR rifle, which has the Nightforce Direct Mount.

[Linked Image]

My first-gen prototype was a copy of the NF, but sized to fit Talley hole spacing etc.

[Linked Image]

I thought of a couple improvements so I made a 2nd-gen prototype today. These protect the bubble-vial from destruction via an impact from the backside of the ring. Then I added a "window" slot to (hopefully) insure that if a rifleman had the sun in his eyes he could still read the level.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So I'm wondering... first, I'm pretty psyched about these for my own use, but I'm curious if others see a niche for these... second, would anyone here be interested in helping me field-test these? That would amount to replacing the top ring on your Talleys with one of these, using the crap out of it, and letting me know of any issues or problems or ideas for improvements come up....?

I doubt I'd be anodizing the testers so it'd be raw aluminum like in the pics. I can think of a few guys I've seen using Talleys on sporter LR rigs.... I think.... maybe Tanner? Smokepole? Starsky? I think Jordan switched out to something else.

Anyway... just a wild hair but I thought I'd put it out there. Now I gotta get back to paying work before I go broke making fun stuff for myself. Occupational hazard...

If you are interested in trying one please PM me. I'm thinking I'll do a short run of like 10 testers. It would be free of course.

EDIT TO ADD: this batch is 30mm.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/09/17
Looks cool. Quick question.....wouldn't the bubble be best served behind the turret so you can see it better?
Posted By: Higginez Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/09/17
No because he's building a rear one with a pariscope on it queer bait!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/09/17
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Looks cool. Quick question.....wouldn't the bubble be best served behind the turret so you can see it better?

Yeah... I think that's how most guys do it. On that rifle, I can't see the elevation turret markings from prone with the bubble-ring on the rear ring; I decided that was pretty important <g>.

That's largely to do with my own deviant scope mounting ways.... I've got the scope (5.5-22 NXS) all the way back towards me in the rings, which puts the elevation turrent close to the rear ring. Maybe you can see what I mean here:

[Linked Image]

At any rate, I can see it with my off-eye even mounted up there. It's only there to insure that the vertical crosshair is plumb when the sear breaks on the shot so I use it to roughly achieve that when I'm building my position, then I might check once more before the shot, but point being, it's not something I personally see a need to constantly monitor.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/09/17
I was hoping one of you Navy guys would chime in....Thanks....I was never in a submarine....or the barrel....lol
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/09/17
Pretty interesting, I was planning on a kimber open country with nightforce rail and nightforce lighweight rings, but I have lots of Talleys I could use on it. Now just gotta weight for the guys and gals at Kimber to start shipping them!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/09/17
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Pretty interesting, I was planning on a kimber open country with nightforce rail and nightforce lighweight rings, but I have lots of Talleys I could use on it. Now just gotta weight for the guys and gals at Kimber to start shipping them!

I'm continuing to use Talleys because they've worked so dang well for me, and I've never seen one break. Guys say they've broken them. I've seen pics. Still, I love the simplicity and minimal mating surfaces not to mention weight and cost .... so I'll just keep an eye on mine. I'm sure that Nightforce setup is stouter!

Open Country... jealous....
Posted By: deflave Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/09/17
Why anybody would assist a pro-Obama, anti-Trump piece of schit like yourself is beyond me.

You're a no talent dumb fugk.

Travis
Posted By: Higginez Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/09/17
I think Flave wants to test one...
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/10/17
Did a little minor melt job on them (with a file) while watching Netflix... I'm liking this design, but I already have an Evil Plan for the Gen3 versions...... bwa ha ha....

I included an aluminum beverage container for scale.

[Linked Image]
Remember the monolith in the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey? Yeah. That's right.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/10/17
http://www.hawkinsprecision.com/ultra-light-tactical-scoperings/long-range-hybrids

Kinda like these. Saw them yesterday while loooking at custom actions.
Posted By: markhammett Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/10/17
I was just wondering why talley didn't make one like this.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/10/17
Looks good!

Your countertop is out of level grin
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/10/17
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

That could be a dangerous assumption Jordan Smith. Maybe, his countertop is perfectly square, plumb and level. Dooh! shocked
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/10/17
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

That could be a dangerous assumption Jordan Smith. Maybe, his countertop is perfectly square, plumb and level. Dooh! shocked

The "countertop" looks kind of fuzzy... wink
Let the testing begin! About to head up shootin'.

Dunno about that fluorescent green vial... hmmm.... shades of blue tape! grin

All this is dwarfed by the sheer awesomeness of my new idea for the Gen3 prototypes <g>. Knowing me I'll play hooky from regular work and make a pair (these are made in pairs) next week sometime.

It's sunny out (!!) so I'm not gonna get to all the PM's till later. For now I'm gonna go make some steel plates pay for their insouciance.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HiredGun Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/10/17
The top level has been around a long time (Mounting Solutions for $30)and the problem you just can't get around is there is no way to see it without breaking cheek weld to see it. Scoplevel brand has a tall mount that overcomes the issue with a 3" tall mount but it is kind of fragile. With a low profile top mounted level you get it level and lose zero. Adjust zero and lose level till you go crazy trying to get both aligned just right.

The Holland Signature Series level is the highest quality one that actually works. With a little practice I can see it and the reticle at the same time. There are other side levels like Vortex for a lot less money but they are clunky and crude.
Posted By: 805 Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/10/17
+1
Holland level is what I run also! They are well built and very slim compared to many others. I lap them slightly to keep from getting any ring marks.
But do they fit Talleys?

Anyway, one thing I think is that these are clunky-looking. Rifles with Talleys, have Talleys for a reason. Clunky ain't it. I haven't ever made a part that goes on a rifle (rifles are awesome) so I overplayed the beefy aspect. I'm gonna slender it down for Gen3, plus execute my Evil Plan idea. smile

And....... maybe the idea itself is just stoopid. But that's never stopped me before.
Posted By: HiredGun Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/11/17
Yours look pretty good. I don't think they are too bulky or unattractive. It looks like a fun little DIY project.

A serious concern for this as a commercial venture is anyone making gun parts and accessories in any way are currently subject to annual ITAR registration of $2250 and ITAR taxes on gross sales in addition to regular state and federal taxes. It's going to be awhile before Trump gets this issue fixed. If he wasn't so bogged down by the liberals obstructing his every move it would go a lot quicker.

Then the fact that other brands may not fit Talley ring bases but they do fit on the scope tube and sell for so cheap it's going to be hard to make any sort of profit. It's a cool DIY project and if it pleases you to make them for yourself and a few buddies for free there is no problems with that.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/11/17
Thanks for the tax info HG-- I did not know that. Sumbitch! Free it shall be <g>.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Hey you Talley guys - 03/15/17
I've got the hawkins. They are VASTLY superior to the Talleys but twice the money. I'll do a SxS here soon.
© 24hourcampfire