Home
Posted By: SandBilly New build - 05/18/17
I'm ready to order everything I need for a new build. I was curious to what you would do different and why on what I've decided so far.

.300 win mag
Stiller Predator action
Krieger 1~10 5r, finished at 26" not sure on contour yet but I want to go as light as I can on the barrel. Would also like it to be fluted.
Timney trigger
Undecided on exact stock but it I'm thinking a McMillan.
Leaning towards a Nightforce 5.5-20 SHV
Also undecided on bottom metal.

I'd like the gun to be around the 8-9lb range and will be shooting 180-190 gr bullets unless it's Elk or Oryx and I might bump it up to 200 or 210.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: TDN Re: New build - 05/18/17
Sounds like a longer range geared rig with the occasional hunt for elk/Oryx. Do a Krieger or Bart #3 fluted, 24-25" chambered in 7mm Rem Mag throated for 168 - 180 VLD types.

My guess is that you'll shoot it more and better and will handle your game equally as well.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: New build - 05/19/17
Have it threaded for a brake or suppressor
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: New build - 05/19/17
If you go with Kreiger a #5 will be the smallest contour they will let you order in 30 cal, which is to big for my taste, personally I would go with a Bartlein #3 since your going to flute it!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: New build - 05/20/17
Originally Posted by Esox357
Have it threaded for a brake or suppressor

This. And consider a less than 26" barrel.
Posted By: smokepole Re: New build - 05/20/17
I'd definitely go shorter than 26".
Posted By: 30338 Re: New build - 05/20/17
Originally Posted by TDN
Sounds like a longer range geared rig with the occasional hunt for elk/Oryx. Do a Krieger or Bart #3 fluted, 24-25" chambered in 7mm Rem Mag throated for 168 - 180 VLD types.

My guess is that you'll shoot it more and better and will handle your game equally as well.

This with an 8 twist 2b Bartlien. Cut at 23", thread for suppressor, and throat it for 180 ELD-M to hit lands at 3.50.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: New build - 05/20/17
After some more research I like the idea of a 7mag. My current 300win is finished at 28" and definitely awkward. I thought I'd be pretty happy with 26" and didn't feel id notice much difference at 24-25" compared to 26"

I don't want a brake but will consider threaded for a future suppressor. I guess that's where the shorter barrel is nice, with the added length of a brake or suppressor?

If I do 7mag I could also drop the rifle weight down from what I originally stated, which would be nice.

Thanks fellas'
Posted By: smokepole Re: New build - 05/20/17
I don't notice a huge difference between 24 and 26 but I started disliking 26" barrels once I used a few in the 22-23" range. Any more, if I don't need every little bit of speed I prefer 23" and under.

Not saying that's right for everybody.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: New build - 05/20/17
30/06

It ain't dead yet!
Posted By: horse1 Re: New build - 05/21/17
My 23" 300 is a whopping 3fps slower than my 26". Both factory Winchester bbls, the shorter is a boss with the boss removed and re-crowned. The 23" is significantly handier. Both running the 200gn tsx @ ~2950 via IMR4831.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: New build - 06/07/17
A 24" barrel in 308 diameter would be fine if you go 300 mag. Consider the difference in internal ballistics / expansion chamber in 308 v 284. The 308 diameter x 24" is a larger chamber and should do fine ballistically.
Posted By: BriGuy Re: New build - 06/14/17
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
30/06

It ain't dead yet!

Preach Brother.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: New build - 06/14/17
A few changes but stuck with a .300. The action and barrel arrived, went with a Brux #4 fluted to 22" I'll finish at 24-25"
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 will be here Thursday. Ordered a McMillan Game Scout and now I just need a trigger and bottom metal. I'm thinking a Calvin Elite. Any issues with these triggers?

Posted By: hillbill Re: New build - 06/15/17
for a hunting gun I would likely go with a Timney 510, the Calvin is a great trigger but feels like more of a bench trigger than a hunting trigger, it don't have a defined break, it just goes off when the desired pressure is reached, most triggers designed for bench work break the same way. My Calvin feels exactly like my Jewells, honestly I can't tell the difference between them.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: New build - 06/15/17
No personal experience yet, but have heard good things about Bix and Andy triggers you might give them a look!
Posted By: kingston Re: New build - 06/15/17
Before the Hog Hunt this year I installed Trigger Tech Special. I like it.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: New build - 06/15/17
235.00 for the Bixn Andy tac sport. I wonder if it's the same as hillbill described the Calvin Elite and Jewell? All I've ever used is the Timney 510.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: New build - 06/15/17
Never heard of it. I'll see what info I can find on it, thanks.
Posted By: jsthntn247 Re: New build - 06/23/17
Your gonna be in the 10-11lb neighborhood.
To stay in the 8lb range Ida went with

Stocky Carbon Fiber VG2 stock
Bartlein #3 contour fluted finished at 24 and threaded for a beast brake
March 3-24x42 scope
300 WSM with Wyatts bottom metal. Shorter case would help to utilize a faster powder for the shorter barrel
Posted By: Clarkm Re: New build - 09/04/17
I have seen the name Timney since I was 12 in 1963 reading about guns. I am 66 now, but did not start buying Timney products until 2011 at age 60.
Now I put a Timney in most things I build; Rem700, Win M70 pre 64, Arisaka, Sav post accutrigger, Sav pre accutrigger, 98 Mausers, and 91/30 Mosin Nagants.

I bought a lot of extravagant triggers from Brownells over the years, but no more. Not for shooting deer at long range, for that I will use a Timney.
Posted By: wildcat33 Re: New build - 09/08/17
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
Your gonna be in the 10-11lb neighborhood.
To stay in the 8lb range Ida went with

Stocky Carbon Fiber VG2 stock
Bartlein #3 contour fluted finished at 24 and threaded for a beast brake
March 3-24x42 scope
300 WSM with Wyatts bottom metal. Shorter case would help to utilize a faster powder for the shorter barrel

A recent build I finished with a fluted 21" bart#3 and McM hunter was at 6.7lbs without scope. A 20oz leupold put the whole thing at 8.1 lbs. So.... with that #4 you're going to be overweight, then add the big NF - its going to be on the heavier side. I put the trigger tech on mine and like it a lot so far.

Sounds like bottom metal is the only thing you havent settled on - I used, and would recommend, Hawkins BDL. This would also keep your weight down vs some of the steel BDL and tactical choices.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: New build - 09/17/17
I build a number of rifles every year.
Two weeks before hunting season opens, I go out into the sagebrush to test them at long range.

Whatever is light enough, and still gets the job done is what I wind up hunting with.

It seems a boy's rifle is 5 pounds.
A man's rifle is 10 pounds with scope, sling, bipod, rear bag, cheek pouch, and ammo.
Posted By: Tanner Re: New build - 09/18/17
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Two weeks before hunting season opens, I go out into the sagebrush to test them at long range.

Whatever is light enough, and still gets the job done is what I wind up hunting with.

A man's rifle is 10 pounds with scope, sling, bipod, rear bag, cheek pouch, and ammo.

You can't make this schitt up... wow
Posted By: smokepole Re: New build - 09/18/17
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by Clarkm

You can't make this schitt up... wow

Yep, it's BS for sure. Who in their right mind checks their rifles two weeks before the season?

I go out a week before the season, and shoot up at least a half box of ammo.

And my rifles weigh 12 lbs minimum, what with the permanently-attached front rests and all.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: New build - 09/24/17
I use a trigger tech in my AR and it works great.
Posted By: jbuck Re: New build - 09/25/17
My last one was a 6mm creedmoor with a #3 bartlein fluted and finished at 25". Stiller tac30. Manners EH1.

It weighed 7.3lbs and was only enough shoulder to thread 1/2x28.

Just for reference.
© 24hourcampfire