Home
Posted By: m77 Actual long range hunt? - 05/26/17
Anyone recently did a long range hunt?

Nothing wrong with posts about equipment and components, just think a story with some pictures would be nice! grin
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Actual long range hunt? - 05/27/17
I tried, but the dang deer walked up out of a gulley at 75 yards! smile
Posted By: 1minute Re: Actual long range hunt? - 05/27/17
Same here. Did my first Hells Canyon deer hunt equipped with a 7 mm Rem Mag only to take a buck at less than 5 yrds as it was feeding in a gulley. Could actually hear it's teeth grinding as I sat waiting for it to put it's head up.
Ok Peiter, I guess I have to show these Oregyun guys how its done..... I put in for a tag that is guaranteed long range, because it's damn near impossible to sneak close to the deer. About 5 years ago (only get the tag about every 2-3 years) in the Deschutes canyons:

[Linked Image]

The rifle was a FN PBR XP 300WSM, Nikon 4.5-14x40 in Burris XTR rings on top of a 20 moa 1913 rail:
[Linked Image]

Shot was 600 yards on a tasty forked horn (hey I'm the one that has to pack them out of this hell hole). I choose these because they pack easier than the big bucks and are nice and tender wink. One shot one kill. Did a back flip off the hillside and came to a stop 100 yards below where he was standing when hit. I've never seen a deer do a cartwheel like that before... The hillside is a lot steeper than it looks... Here's the buck:
[Linked Image]

Here's the load and 10 shot group to confirm zero:
[Linked Image]

Scope required 10.2 moa of adjustment to nail the buck dead center heart shot at that range.

Same scenerio about 3 years ago, but using my 7mm rem mag and Ironically the same scope from my 300WSM. Sitting from the same rocks and using my pack as a rest. Shot was 648 lasered yards with angle comp on. Actual was closer to 690 LRF because of the angle I was shooting downhill:
[Linked Image]

The buck, you can barely see where I hit him in the pic. Punched a hole right through the heart:
[Linked Image]

This rifle was a great shooter too. I don't have a bunch of target pictures from this rifle, but it would consistently keep 10 shots inside 1 moa.

This buck also required about 10 moa come up clicks with the scope to center punch the heart at the 648 angle comped LRF yards... "1 shot 1 kill".... Sorry it's not real recent Peiter, but that's all I have my friend...
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Actual long range hunt? - 05/27/17
BSA--great shooting! I'm from the east coast, I used to hunt mulies in Oregon Unit 140, Maupin with a lawyer I used to work with, he was from Portland, great hunt! We rafted into some BLM on the Deschutes, camped at Whiskey Dick!
Posted By: m77 Re: Actual long range hunt? - 05/31/17
Thanks for posting BSA. Looks like a tough place to walk/hike.
© 24hourcampfire