Home
Anybody using, or considering using the RPR as a hunting rifle ? I admit it has caught my attention. I admit it might be a bit much to track desert muleys with, but it should do well on running bucks...... E
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I admit it might be a bit much

Well, yeah....... I'll take the 6 pound Kimber over the 14 pound RipPeR......
Are you on a portable bench shooting PDs at 1000k with it? Packing it to 14k for Elk? Either is doable, but I'd rather not pack a RPR for my long hunts in the mountains. Running bucks to me = something faster handling than a RPR. Just my 2 bits!
If it looked like a rifle and wasn't so heavy , it might be perfect.
I might sit with one in a shooting house that I drove to,but I wouldn't want to shoot anything moving with one.
The Ruger Precision Rifle has Desert Mulies written all over it!
Originally Posted by Higbean
The Ruger Precision Rifle has Desert Mulies written all over it!

So do my Rem 700s and Sako L61 in 280 AI. laugh
Any rifle you hunt with is a hunting rifle.

As a rule most hunters don't carry more weight or length than they need, but some of us just like certain rifles and hunt with them BECAUSE we like them.

I hunt with flintlocks that have 46" barrels at times.

I also enjoy hunting with my old M1 Garand. A 30-06,,,but no scope, a bit "fat" and about 2 pound heavier then most other 30-06 hunting rifles.
But I like it!
So that makes it a hunting rifle while I am hunting with it.

Sometimes I get the urge to hunt with my Mauser 404 Jeffry. No good reason other than the fact I like the gun. It weighs 10.pounds and 3 oz.
Or my Mauser 300H&H with the 27" long barrel. It weights 11 pounds 2 oz.

"Hunting rifles" are about the hunting, not the rifle.
If you like the rifle, hunt with it.
You need no one's permission or blessing------------ other then your own.
Originally Posted by szihn
If you like the rifle, hunt with it.
You need no one's permission or blessing------------ other then your own.

Preach it bro!
One of the fixed 3x Leupolds would put you in tall cotton. Throw it in a Burris Peppr mount and some back up iron sites to co-whitness. Schidt wouldn't stand a chance.
I've had one in a 6.5 creed for a few months, have only had it out a few times but LOVE it. What a joy to shoot and even with the cheapest factory ammo it does great.

Mine has NF lightweight rings and a NF 5.5-22x50 scope on top. It's a pig and I can honestly say it's one of the last rifles in the safe I'd go hauling around after big game.
© 24hourcampfire