Home
Posted By: salmonhead Range finder - 07/07/17
What kind of range finders do you guys like to use? I am by no means a long range shooter, but each year my max range creeps out there. Currently capable to about 550, but my Leupold 1000 range finder rarely ranges antelope past about mid 400's out in Wyoming. Looking for something better to get real ranges at least to 600 and hopefully into the 800 yard area. Not sure if the flat terrain is messing with it, or goats just have bad fur or something for range finders. I routinely get 500-600 ranges on elk, but that is in the mountains. Any help or direction would be useful. thanks in advance.
Posted By: devnull Re: Range finder - 07/07/17
I have had excellent luck with my Sig Kilo 2000. I have ranged out to 1800 yards. I used it recently on flat ground in South Dakota ranging prairie dogs. It did really well and was providing ranges every time I hit the button. I had a Leica 1200 that would not do that in a p-dog town.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Range finder - 07/07/17
After using my Bushnell Fusion Binos for several years, I will never be without a rangefinder/bino combo again.

John
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: Range finder - 07/07/17
I had the same problem with my Leupold 1000. Sent it back to Leupold and they sent me a new 1200i. In the meantime I had a hunt approaching and wasn't sure what Leupold was going to do so I bought the Sig Kilo 2000. I am very happy with it so far.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Range finder - 07/07/17
My Sig Kilo 2000 is pretty decent, but my Bushnell Fusion is better. Love that Fusion. Love not carrying around two separate bino and RF units, as well. Being able to glass and instantly range is where it's at. I keep the Sig in my range bag because it's small and handy, and doesn't take up much space wink
Posted By: Ringman Re: Range finder - 07/07/17
Kilo2000 really blows the doors of my Leica 1200. I really like mine.
Posted By: GregW Re: Range finder - 07/07/17
How are those fusions with ranging game guys and at what distances? In the specs, it says ranging deer up to 500. Not good enough. Any thoughts on this versus what you guys have seen in the field?

Good enough to replace the bins around your neck for a hunting situation?
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Range finder - 07/07/17
Originally Posted by GregW
How are those fusions with ranging game guys and at what distances? In the specs, it says ranging deer up to 500. Not good enough. Any thoughts on this versus what you guys have seen in the field?

Mine have been MUCH better than that. I even ranged a dove on a wire at 394 meters once. My fusions ARE my hunting bino.

John
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Range finder - 07/07/17
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by GregW

Mine have been MUCH better than that. I even ranged a dove on a wire at 394 meters once. My fusions ARE my hunting bino.

John

Agreed.

Mine is the Fusion 1600 model, and it will range cattle at over 1800 yards, the farthest I've tried ranging deer was about 1300 yards, and it did that fine. In really bad conditions I can always hit the ground or a tree near the critter I'm looking at.
Posted By: Bbear Re: Range finder - 07/07/17
Had the Leica from years back and really liked it for clarity and accuracy out to 1000 yards. Sig came out with their models and I grabbed an 850 on sale. Ranged a bull elk @ 776 yards (and later, his body at 137.5 yards). A friend worked out his range to where we could shoot out to 1000 yards and another friend has a 1500 yard range. So, I purchased the 1350 series.
As good as the Leica is/was, I'm sold on the Sig's.
Posted By: GregW Re: Range finder - 07/07/17
Good to know guys. Thanks.
Posted By: atse Re: Range finder - 07/07/17
They are expensive,but the leica HD b rock.excellent rangefinder,and excellent ballistics software, and the glass is really good!
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Range finder - 07/08/17
Leicas are expensive, and they get out of whack a lot. Their warranty absolutely sucks. Get the Fusions or the Sig Sauer--or the Vortex rangefinder. You will be happier in the long run.
Posted By: atse Re: Range finder - 07/08/17
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Leicas are expensive, and they get out of whack a lot. Their warranty absolutely sucks. Get the Fusions or the Sig Sauer--or the Vortex rangefinder. You will be happier in the long run.

2pair of geovids, and 2 leica rangefinders,with no hiccups on any of them. And the glass is top tier.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Range finder - 07/08/17
I gave my Leica crf 1100 to my brother.
I gave a crf 1600 to a guy I hunt with.
I have a crf 1600.

The new crf 2000 is out
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/115842/leica-rangemaster-crf-2000-b-laser-rangefinder-7x-black

I like to keep it on a lanyard and in my right jacket pocket. As I stock an animal from long range, I am bent over and ranging many times.

I am sold on the Leica rangefinders, but not sold on needing a new Leica to range to 2000 yards. My longest kill to date was 629 yards.
Posted By: atse Re: Range finder - 07/08/17
I don't shoot ultra long ranges either,but where the new geovids shine, is on flat snowy landscapes with coyotes. I can still get ranges,when the old geovids, or rangefinders wouldn't register. Especially if the sun is shining. The rangefinder is really powerful.
Posted By: TestedOnAnimals Re: Range finder - 07/09/17
I had the leica geovid bino/range finder combo. sent it back twice and their warranty sucks. But they work well and the glass is great. Problem? Glass lasts a lifetime. Laser ranging technology cahnges daily, and when i had them fixed they kept putting in brand new 5 year old technology. Still good, but never as good as my kilo 1250 (i think this was it - havent used it since i got the 2400.
So now i own a pair of Leica Ultravid HD binos and my sig Kilo 2400. Never looked back. best range finders money can buy. Fast. accurate.

SnT
Posted By: kellory Re: Range finder - 07/09/17
I'd like to get one eventually. But I've never owned one. Borrowed one a few times. But always a cheap version.
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Range finder - 07/11/17
Originally Posted by devnull
I have had excellent luck with my Sig Kilo 2000. I have ranged out to 1800 yards. I used it recently on flat ground in South Dakota ranging prairie dogs. It did really well and was providing ranges every time I hit the button. I had a Leica 1200 that would not do that in a p-dog town.

This exactly, minus the prairie dog part.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Range finder - 07/11/17
Sig Kilo or the Vortex 1500.

I error on the side of the Vortex because of the lifetime warranty. No flies on the Sig, they're both very good,
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Range finder - 07/11/17
Sig put out some lemons a while back...not sure if they got that cleared up or not.

My Sig Kilo 2000 got FUBARd in fog, and hasn't worked nearly as well since.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Range finder - 07/24/17

I mus be lucky. My 1200 keeps going, and going, and ...
Posted By: 16bore Re: Range finder - 07/30/17
Had both the Sig and Vortex. Monkeyed with them quite a bit, side by side. Up to 900 yards there wasn't any difference in capability. Longer stuff the Sig took over IF you could find the right thing to target.

Kept the Vortex. Warranty better. No big whoop.
Posted By: TDN Re: Range finder - 07/30/17
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

Yup, my 1200 has been going strong for 8 years or so. All I need out to 8-900 and user friendly.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Range finder - 07/30/17
Originally Posted by TDN
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

Yup, my 1200 has been going strong for 8 years or so. All I need out to 8-900 and user friendly.

I was a lucky 1200 owner also. I used it for many years and gave it to my son-in-law and bought the Kilo 2000. I've ranged over a mile with it on bushes and a bull at 1,410.
Posted By: salmonhead Re: Range finder - 08/09/17
Thanks for all the input.
© 24hourcampfire