Home
Posted By: dennisinaz 140 grain Hybrid - 10/26/17
Anyone here kill anything (especially a deer) with the 140 Berger Hybrid in 6.5? I got back from AK and my wife and kids had remodeled the house. I can't find any of my 6.5-284 ammo; Must be a box somewhere hiding. I had to make something. Today is the only day I had to shoot. I loaded up 7 cases with 140 Hybrids and went to the range. No idea what I last sighted this rifle in with but the first 3 shots hit the center of the orange dot. I found a few 140 Accubomb loads and the one round I fired was about 1.5" low. I guess I will load up a box of the 140s in the morning before I take off- just hope I don't have a runner after I poke a hole in a coues this weekend. I haven't done much more than play with the 140s a few years ago at 800 yards. Always used 130s to hunt but couldn't find any of my R17- the powder of choice for the 130s so went with the 140s.
t
Posted By: Azshooter Re: 140 grain Hybrid - 10/28/17
Wow Dennis that is about as last minute as you can get. Your hunt began on the 27th and you worked up a new load on the 26th! We await the news of the death of a nice coues. Sorry I can't comment on the performance of a 140 hybrid in 6.5 as I don't own any 6.5s.......

Web and I saw a dandy in 35B yesterday. It would score around 100. Unfortunately it was a bit too far away for Web to take a shot. He will return to try and find him again on Tuesday when the masses have gone back to work.
Posted By: atse Re: 140 grain Hybrid - 10/30/17
Not the 6.5, but I shoot the 105 hybrid in 6 mm, and it is very effective on game. I have shot a bunch of deer with it, and have had very good results. I think you will be just fine with them. I have been using it for about 3 years.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 140 grain Hybrid - 10/31/17
I'll post a report. Hunted for 2 days, passed on two bucks and a bear. We saw 3 lions in 2 days as well- no shots on those.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 140 grain Hybrid - 11/03/17
Shot a large coyote at 75 yards. That bullet expands at that velocity.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: 140 grain Hybrid - 11/04/17
Fleeting glimpse on the ML's ?
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: 140 grain Hybrid - 11/04/17
I used 140 Hybrids in a 6.5x47L for one fall.

Things went well on two mule deer bucks and one antelope buck. On a third mule deer buck, my first shot didn’t make it to the vitals on a quartering towards shot. I was lucky, it was open country, and after a minute or two I was able to shoot him again and kill him. One bullet one time, but it made me gunshy. If I used it again I’d hold out for archery style shot placement.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 140 grain Hybrid - 11/07/17
Doesn't sound like an elk bullet then but might be great for 100# whitetails.
Posted By: jsthntn247 Re: 140 grain Hybrid - 11/29/17
They blow up even at moderate velocities. Dead deer but no blood at all, wouldn't use in thick country where a shot could possible be less than 300 yards.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 140 grain Hybrid - 12/04/17
I am using ELD-X instead. Will see how they do.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 140 grain Hybrid - 12/05/17
Shot my elk with the 143 ELD-X. It did perfect. Posted about in under elk hunting
© 24hourcampfire