Home
Posted By: Magnum_Bob What action for 6.5 SAUM - 01/01/18
Thinking of building a 6.5 SAUM on a M700 action. Use a long action for the ultra mag carts or a short one that is a 300WSM now? how much box length does one need for the 6.5 SAUM? MB
Posted By: 375fan Re: What action for 6.5 SAUM - 01/01/18
You planning on using BDL bottom metal or a DBM set up? What reamer length you using to cut chamber? I had mine cut with the .081 reamer, using Accurate mags, Defiance S/A.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: What action for 6.5 SAUM - 01/01/18
If going to a custom I prefer the Defiance XM with the 3.15 magazine, the SA with the.081 freebore works well for some, a DBM and a SA is pretty popular........you have a few options!
Well I've got a chance to pick up a clean M700 stainless BDL in 300 WSM and thought it might be the way to go, but is the factory bottom metal long enough? Also can get a used stainless BDL 7 Ultra Mag but that seems unnecessarily long. I appreciate the imput. MB
Posted By: 375fan Re: What action for 6.5 SAUM - 01/01/18
I would think you'd be ok with the 300WSM, I mainly shoot 140 hybrids but have tried/played with the 143ELD-X AND 147ELD-M in my setup and have no issues/complaints.
Posted By: TDN Re: What action for 6.5 SAUM - 01/01/18
Little bit different angle, but having one built on a M70 wsm Action. ~3” box solves a lot.
Posted By: jowens Re: What action for 6.5 SAUM - 01/01/18
With a .081 or .120 freebore reamer, a short action is fine.

You could throat one out long for 150 Sierras or 155 VLDs and run it to its full potential in a long action or Defiance XM.

I'd run a wyatts centerfeed mag box in the short action for reliable feeding and extra mag length. If your gunsmith won't install a wyatts box, find a new one.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: What action for 6.5 SAUM - 01/02/18
Need at least 3” I have a rebranded CZ03 (montana 1999) in 270MidgetMag with a 3.1” mag box for mine, kimber 8400 WSM’s, and apparently winchester model 70 WSMs have a 3” mag box and are good places to start also.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well I've got a chance to pick up a clean M700 stainless BDL in 300 WSM and thought it might be the way to go, but is the factory bottom metal long enough? Also can get a used stainless BDL 7 Ultra Mag but that seems unnecessarily long. I appreciate the imput. MB

Suggest you call GA Precision and talk through your build with George Gardner. He knows more about what works and what doesn’t with the 6.5 SAUM than anyone else.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: What action for 6.5 SAUM - 01/02/18
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

If I was forced into a LA I would do a 26 Nosler the Saum is perfect in a SA!
Posted By: joshf303 Re: What action for 6.5 SAUM - 01/02/18
Will it work...yes....

Is it ideal...no....

If you aren't wanting to run a DBM, the Wyatts box will give you a little more COAL in the 700 action like said above. Tried a couple Wyatts boxes and couldn't like them, so went back to a DBM with binderless Accurate mags. You can hug a COAL of 2.990 there, but will have to notch the feed ramp to let the tips of the bullets ride up. Easy fix.....
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: What action for 6.5 SAUM - 01/02/18
Notching the feed ramp was my main reason for using the XM action, just didn't like the idea of cutting into that part of the action!
Guys thanks this was just what I needed to hear....TDN I will checkout the M70 , joshf303 exactly what I needed to know... Kimber I've met George at Icebreaker 2 and your right but if I could afford it I'd just buy one of his as they are good enuf for Scenarshooter they should be good enough for anyone. MB
© 24hourcampfire