Home
Posted By: Hiaring8 T3x CTR/ SWFA 3-9X42 thoughts - 02/04/18
I have decided to pull the trigger on a CTR 24" 6.5 creed (as soon as they are back in stock at Whittakers) in an effort to put together a mid-long range hunting rifle (600 yard plus - assuming competent shooter). I don't want a flyweight as I just feel a little more weight would be appreciated in this platform and use. However, my hunting is in steep, rugged, Idaho backcountry wilderness so this can't get to heavy.

If I try to stay somewhat light, I could go a SWFA 3-9X42 with quality rings and be at 9 pounds - which sounds good to me for its intended usage. Anybody else think this would be a good way to role? Anyone shooting something similar for LR hunting?

Posted By: atse Re: T3x CTR/ SWFA 3-9X42 thoughts - 02/04/18
I have the 3x9 on a savage116, and it is a good set up to 600 yds. My youngest boy has one on his tikka 243,and he is good with it out to 600 as well. They are a very good hunting/long range scopes. You will like it.
You'll be over 9 pounds with such a setup. I had the same setup, but in a 20" 260, and the bare rifle came in something like 4 ounces over advertised weight.

Not sure what you expect this rifle to accomplish that your current 280 AI will not already do?

ETA: The big difference is this rifle will have a big obtrusive magazine adding extra weight and bulk. Buy a regular Tikka Lite - will shoot just as well and will be a lot more portable.
This is my Wife’s 20” CTR .260. She and our teenage kids have packed and hunted it for the past 3 years. Waging war on deer and elk up over 10,000’.... then antelope and coyotes on the plains. It’s hammered many hundreds of prairie dogs. It’s set-up to be as light and user friendly as possible: Leupold 3-9x40, Mil-Dot, 1/2 MOA “CDS” turret. Scope sits in Low Talleys, the 16’bored one’s. All-up, with sling and 5 rounds.... it weighs 8lbs 3oz. It’s about as perfect a 600 yard hunting rifle as a guy could want.... except for the lace paint job.

For a hunting gun, that you’ll pack, I’d go 20” 6.5 Creed. You won’t miss the velocity at all, and the gun will be both lighter/handier. If you go 20”, Low Talleys, 3-9 SS... you’d probably be under 9lbs, I’m thinking 8lbs 13oz.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
You'll be over 9 pounds with such a setup. I had the same setup, but in a 20" 260, and the bare rifle came in something like 4 ounces over advertised weight.

Not sure what you expect this rifle to accomplish that your current 280 AI will not already do?

I do love my 280 ACKLEY and with the NF SHV, it is an excellent long range capable rifle that I have total confidence in and truth being told, will still be my go to rifle for deer/elk.

The CTR in 6.5 creed has just got my rifle looneyism going as I would love a "true dedicated lr rig" and something that would be a lot easier/cheaper to practice with. I would love to bang steel with it all summer and then have it available to hunt with as needed. Also, in my ackley, my new 140 handloads I am working on our running around 3250 FPS. That kind of performance all summer long would burn out a barrel quite a bit quicker than a 143 at 27-2800. Again, the rifle looney is coming out.
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I have decided to pull the trigger on a CTR 24" 6.5 creed (as soon as they are back in stock at Whittakers) in an effort to put together a mid-long range hunting rifle (600 yard plus - assuming competent shooter). I don't want a flyweight as I just feel a little more weight would be appreciated in this platform and use. However, my hunting is in steep, rugged, Idaho backcountry wilderness so this can't get to heavy.

If I try to stay somewhat light, I could go a SWFA 3-9X42 with quality rings and be at 9 pounds - which sounds good to me for its intended usage. Anybody else think this would be a good way to role? Anyone shooting something similar for LR hunting?

Sounds like a good plan!
Definitely will be over 9 lbs with that setup. My 20" CTR in 6.5 with the same scope is 9 lbs 5 oz but could probably be very close to 9 lbs even if I lost the rings and rail for talley lightweight lows
Not exactly what you are contemplating but I have a T3 Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts and an SWFA 6x42. One of the most accurate rifles I have owned and shoots half MOA to as far as I have tried, which is 500. Will shoot most everything MOA or better for 10 shots. I haven't gone to 600 plus but did head shoot a coyote at 550.
I weighed my sons tikka t3x with ss3x 9 the other day, and it was 8 lbs even with an empty mag. At 500 he shot a 3 shot 4 " group, prone, no wind.Seems like a pretty good light weight long range option.
I've got the same rifle except with a 20" barrel wearing the same scope with swfa rings and the factory rail. It weighs 9lbs 6oz.

I think you will like the setup but i would really think about getting the 20" barreled model
So the 143 ELD X precision hunter ammo is rated at 2700 FPS and I have talked with a lot guys who load that bullet safely and accurately to 2800 ish - maybe a touch more. If I dropped to the 20" barreled version of the gun, would it be safe to assume 2600 FPS factory and a good chance of 2700 fps out of a quality handload?
Originally Posted by atse
I weighed my sons tikka t3x with ss3x 9 the other day, and it was 8 lbs even with an empty mag. At 500 he shot a 3 shot 4 " group, prone, no wind.Seems like a pretty good light weight long range option.

Was this the 20" barreled version?

Tikka list the 24" barreled version at 7.4 pounds - so lets say 7 pounds 7 oz. The swfa is 19 oz, and talleys say 2.5 oz. My math tells me the 24" gun should be about 9 pounds unloaded???
Tikka lists the 20” version at 7.5 lbs.... IME, they’re about 7lbs 4-5oz.

You’re not gonna be under 9lbs with a 24” gun and a SS 3-9.... No matter the mounts. You’ll be 9.25 lbs with the 24” gun and a 3-9 SS in Talleys.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Tikka lists the 20” version at 7.5 lbs.... IME, they’re about 7lbs 4-5oz.

You’re not gonna be under 9lbs with a 24” gun and a SS 3-9.... No matter the mounts. You’ll be 9.25 lbs with the 24” gun and a 3-9 SS in Talleys.

9.25 still wouldn't be too bad in a "dedicated LR rifle that could through 143 grain bullets out at 2800 fps". My LAW 280 ackley with 3-10x42 SHV, butler creek cover, and Talleys weighs 8 pounds 10.2 oz, another half pound wouldn't kill me lol
Originally Posted by atse

Was this the 20" barreled version?

Tikka list the 24" barreled version at 7.4 pounds - so lets say 7 pounds 7 oz. The swfa is 19 oz, and talleys say 2.5 oz. My math tells me the 24" gun should be about 9 pounds unloaded???

24" barrel.
I packed a 23” barreled Rem 700 in 7 Rem Mag, wearing a 3-9 SS for mule deer and some elk this year, it weighed about whatbuour .280AI does. I’d rather pack the 20” CTR any day.... but, I was glad to have the horsepower of the 7 Mag when it came time to shoot a buck.

Given the choice, I’d just pack the .280 for all things tag punching..... which means I’d set the CTR up as a play gun.... so weight wouldn’t matter as much.
I laugh at people that worry about shaving ounces off a gun/scope rig. I have carried relatively heavy rifles over mountains for years and always figured that if 10-12 ounces, or a pound, is a game changer, then I probably should have spent more time working out before the trek. The heavier rifle is more stable on shots and I am not going to fret about a few ounces here and there. I will take a 24-inch barrel any day. It gives you good velocity and is still plenty easy-handling. The 3x9 should do real well on that rig.
You guys are probably going to get tired of me - but its the winter, what else better to do than talk guns.

Based on this thread and what you have all chimed in - which situation would choose:

1. 24" CTR, 3-9X42 swfa, talleys - plan on 9.4-9.5 pounds

2.. T3X Lite SS, 30oz NF 3-15X50 in rail/rings - be at 8.5 pounds ish
I’d go CTR with the NF 3-15.... you already have an 8lb hunting rifle.

Or T3 Lite with the 3-9....

I cant afford a ctr and a nf....lol
CTR and a 3-12 LRHS....
CTR and a 3-12 LRHS....

YES
So the 143 ELD X precision hunter ammo is rated at 2700 FPS and I have talked with a lot guys who load that bullet safely and accurately to 2800 ish - maybe a touch more. If I dropped to the 20" barreled version of the gun, would it be safe to assume 2600 FPS factory and a good chance of 2700 fps out of a quality handload?

The 143 ELDX factory load gets about 2600 fps out of my 24 3/8" Tikka, but shoots REALLY well. I have one other Creed with a 23" and it also gets about 2600 with that load.
CTR and a 3-12 LRHS....

Good scope but mine was a full 8 oz heavier than the SWFA 3-9x42
All of my SS 3-9x have been 19-20 oz, and both my LRHS 3-12x have been 24-25 oz.
My LRHS was 27 oz and many others here have reported the same. Got four SWFA 3-9 and all are 19 oz
First I’m seeing a report of 27 oz. I’ve mostly seen guys reporting 25.

I’ve also had 4 SS 3-9, and 2 were 19 oz while the other 2 were 20.
My 3-12x44 LRHS is 25.5 oz without the scope caps.
For reference, My PMII 3-12x50 P3 is 26 oz without scope caps.

I cant afford a ctr and a nf....lol

Sure you can,just save a few more months,you know you want to.LOL

Honestly those Bushnell LRHS were going for about $700 at Opticsplanet at Christmas. You are going to pay that for a SWFA unless you wait on a deal or on Black Friday,or you may already have one,in which case,yes,I am an enabler.
Whitaker’s got the 24” version back in stock at a price almost $150 less than everyone else so I put my order in tonight. At this point, I think I’m just going to focus on it being a LR platform and not worry about weight. Going to save and wait if needed and top it with a NF NXS....probably a 3.5-15x
I'm probably going to go the 24" CTR 6.5 Creed route later this year. I picked up a Burris XTR II 5-25 a while back to go on it, so it's obviously not gonna be a lightweight. I'm setting it up more or less as a long range bench toy and it'll wear an SAS Arbiter can adding 9" to the end of it (another 12oz.) so "light and handy" really ain't in the equation.

It'll get hunted some, as a lot of my hunting is done a half mile from the truck, walking in across flat, open ground. I've got lighter, shorter stuff for anything more physically demanding.

A 20" CTR (sans can) with a SWFA 3-9 would be lighter and handier, but a Lite would seem even more so. Might even save enough money to chop the barrel to whatever and think about a Mcmillan?
If you're planning to add a can, I don't see any reason to choose the 24" CTR.

20" all the way and twice on Sundays.
20” CTR.... wearing the exact Suppressor referenced above, SAS TiArbiter.

[Linked Image]
The 20" barrel would likely look better with a can (I REALLY like the look of Dogshooter's!). It may balance some better (would be interested in opinions here). But functionally, I'm debating the difference in an extra 100fps vs. the relative handiness of a 29" or 33" barrel (with suppressor attached).
Likely, the biggest reason I think I'm leaning 24", is I should be able to hit 2700 with 147 Hornadys, without leaning on it too hard. Whether or not that really matters is, again, another question.
100fps is an easy concession for a handy rifle. IMO.
More like 60-80 fps loss vs. 24” barrel.... IME
I like your choice of scope and chambering immensely, but for the same sort of dollars I would get me a stainless T3X lite, cut to 21 inches and go new DBM and MDT mags.
So I wrapped up the ordering part of this package tonight. Stopped worrying about the weight and just settled with the fact of this being a heaver rifle, but one that is my dedicated LR options - so weight is ok.

Ordered the Weaver 3-15x50 EDMR 30MM FFP Illuminated scope. This had been running $750-$850, and Natchez runs a ridiculous sale that allows me to order for $599. This scope is made by LOW in Japan, and outside no Zero Stop, seems to fit everything I am looking for. Plenty of elevation to run out to 1000 yards. Reliable and Repeatable Turrets. (Lots of good reviews from professional level shooters who shoot a lot more than I do) Good glass, and lots of eye relief plus illumination. Just too hard to say no, plus at $599, if I hate it, I am confident I will get my money back on the used market.

The only downside right now is the scope weighs 27 oz, so this will be a 10 pound package when done.

Curious to see how little recoil will come out of this setup. Probably pushing my luck, but it would be cool if it was minimized enough to see hits through the scope.
so this will be a 10 pound package when done.

If you went with the 24 inch barrel, you'll be over 10 with a 27oz scope and pic rings. Nothing wrong with that, just a heads up on the weight.

Let us know how you like the scope. I've been deaf to Weaver's offerings, stuck on the LRHS and SWFA stuff for LR use.

And enjoy the CTR! Great package.
Yep, more like 11 pounds loaded.
Agreed. The 24" barreled action with trigger and rail is 5 pounds 10.5 oz. CTR stock with bottom metal and magazine is 2 pounds 9.5 oz. Thats 8.25 pounds. Figure another 4 oz for rings, plus 28+ oz for the illuminated Weaver 3-15 (non-illuminated model is just over 27 oz) you'll be roughly right at 10.25 pounds. Add 10 rounds to that magzine and should be just over 11 pounds....before bipod. smile
More like 60-80 fps loss vs. 24” barrel.... IME

Even easier! laugh
6.5 swede would have solved your velocity concern..... have a buddy with the CTR and he enjoys it!
Incase anyone needs to see it, here is the CTR +TPS Super Lows + LRHS 2-12 on the factory CTR rail.

[Linked Image]
The small stock pack gives me a perfect cheek weld + sight picture. Without one, my head would be a little low. I'm sure there's some combination of rail and rings that could get you a little lower, but I had these TPS and I like em.

I have no complaints with the CTR. Only wish is a 5 round mag that is half as tall as the factor 10 rounder. But maybe thats just me. I'd just like to have a shorter mag (much like the T3 Lite) for long trek carry scenarios.
Nice cheek pad OutdoorAG wink

As an example of how weight adds up even scope caps, bipod, and cheek pad can get the weight up here. Granted this here is a 4.5-18X44 LRHS and as such is close to 28 oz just like the Weaver Tactical the OP just purchased, but here is my buddy's 24" rifle even unloaded (likely add another 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound for 10 rounds).

[Linked Image]

11.75 pounds
Yeah props to lanche for the cheek pad intel. Nice price to boot.
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Only wish is a 5 round mag that is half as tall as the factor 10 rounder. But maybe thats just me. I'd just like to have a shorter mag (much like the T3 Lite) for long trek carry scenarios.

That's why I'd rather just start with a T3 Lite to begin with.
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Only wish is a 5 round mag that is half as tall as the factor 10 rounder. But maybe thats just me. I'd just like to have a shorter mag (much like the T3 Lite) for long trek carry scenarios.

That's why I'd rather just start with a T3 Lite to begin with.

More or less depends on what the end goal is IMO. If I want light and svelt I got that. For a longer range plinker a heavier setup I haven't found to be that bad. Heck my CTR goes like 13+ before suppressor and I still lugged it all over. smile
Thats a fair observation. I have a T3 Lite 243 that I like A LOT. But, the CTR brings a few other pieces to the puzzle that I also like:

- Threaded 5/8-24 with cap
- Pic rail
- extra meat on the barrel

It means that I'm ready to roll with rings and a can without having to buy anything else or call up a gunsmith to thread a barrel.

Now I've never tested the T3 and CTR side by, but I'm wondering - on a lengthy shot string - lets say 10 - will the T3 Lite start to wander more as things heat up? Would be an interesting test. I've got 2 five round mags for the 243. Its a shooter. Could put it next to the CTR 6.5 and run 10 through it.

This of course has little to no bearing in a big game hunting scenario.

I do shoot heavier rifles better, so I like the weight the CTR brings. But thats just a personal pref.
I've had a few rifles like that too, but have completely lost interest in the heavy rifle concept.
Pretty simple to pull the cheekpiece, install a stud underneath (to adjust height), dremmel a slot for the bolt to clear when removed, then reinstall with the original screw. Now you’ve got a custom height cheekpiece.... without going to a purse or a taco.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
but have completely lost interest in the heavy rifle concept

I've been on the opposite end of the spectrum. Sold off my Montana, no interest in the Fieldcraft, etc. Won't see me building a custom flyweight. Not to say that I'm attempting to make rifles heavier on purpose, but I'd done worrying about 7 pound or bust.

I like accuracy. And I shoot heavier better. Maybe thats a grade of my shooting ability or lack there of. And thats ok.
A T3 Lite with a 20-25 ounce scope is still around 8 lbs loaded depending on mounts and what not. Far from a flyweight....and that weight range makes for a nice balance of portability and stability.
20” CTR with a 13-16oz Scope also weighs around 8lbs.... and side by side with a T3 SS 10x combo in .243... is much easier to make hits with.
My T3X CTR 20" 260 weighed something like 7 lbs 10 or 12 oz bare, so after adding a scope, ammo, and mounts, it was just a wee bit over 8 lbs. wink
Maybe when they went to the T3X it added a few ounces?

Don't get me wrong, I like the CTR. I just think it's better suited as a chunk.
Dogshooter that is way nice that 20” is a full 12-16 oz lighter than the 24” CTR (my 24” is 8.25 pounds bare). I never would have guessed that 4” of barrel was that heavy at 3-4 oz per inch of barrel but I guess it’s medium contour barrel adds a pile of weight by compared to #1 and #2 contour barrels.
Look at the scale in the pic above.... 8.25 lbs with a couple rounds.

Lose the rail/rings... and go Talleys + light scope.... and you can be under 8.5 lbs. Not “light”... but certainly not “heavy”... and definitely “handy”.

Over the past couple years, hunting with my wife and kids, along with other new hunters/shooters... I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s much easier to ask someone to pack an 8lb rifle, than it is to ask them to shoot something with a 7lb rifle.

I’ll conceed that our particular CTR is not set up as a true “long range” rig.... though it can certainly hold its own out to 600+. It’s set-up as a rifle that’s easy to hit stuff with, packs pretty well, can be run suppressed or naked, and is of sufficient caliber to kill anything they may draw a tag for in the lower 48.
I believe Dogshooter is responsible for quite a few CTR purchases. This was very well put:

I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s much easier to ask someone to pack an 8lb rifle, than it is to ask them to shoot something with a 7lb rifle.

*raises hand
Look at the scale in the pic above.... 8.25 lbs with a couple rounds.

Lose the rail/rings... and go Talleys + light scope.... and you can be under 8.5 lbs. Not “light”... but certainly not “heavy”... and definitely “handy”.

Over the past couple years, hunting with my wife and kids, along with other new hunters/shooters... I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s much easier to ask someone to pack an 8lb rifle, than it is to ask them to shoot something with a 7lb rifle.

I’ll conceed that our particular CTR is not set up as a true “long range” rig.... though it can certainly hold its own out to 600+. It’s set-up as a rifle that’s easy to hit stuff with, packs pretty well, can be run suppressed or naked, and is of sufficient caliber to kill anything they may draw a tag for in the lower 48.

Wasn't saying I didn't believe you sir!! I am just surpised yours is likely a full pound lighter than my 24" model that is all. Maybe the T3 CTR is lighter than the T3X CTR?? Either way yes I agree it easier to have people shoot a heavier rifle than a light one. Being as my CTR got passed around by 7 different folks this year to fill tags, from 8 year old kids, to 60 year old folks and most shoots between 330-500 yards with it its hard not to like them. It is also fun to stretch it's legs to 1000 yards and beyond as well. If I want light and fast I have those covered as well. But the CTR is easily the most fun to shoot rifle I have, maybe not the most fun to carry, but for anything based off a day hunt there I am not carrying the rifle in my hands I have come to realize that its really not that big of a deal if my daypack with rifle included weighs 20 or 25 pounds. Certainly not going to make or brake a hunt for me in those conditions or situations. If I am on a multiday backpacking trip then sure I am grabbing for my 7.5 pound all up rifles (or some that weigh a lot less even).

Thanks for your pics in the past to help push me over the edge on them as well. That said I am still jealous your CTR 7.25 pounds or less naked! smile

Tikka listed the original 20” at CTR at 7.5lbs.... that’s with the rail.... coming in around 7.3lbs bare isn’t a huge shock.

I think I’ve owned 4 CTRs now.... they’re all in the hands of buddies. My brother shoots another one in a Chassis, another buddy has one that’s killed like two dozen big game animals now... and my wife’s CTR just keeps on hammering. They’re the best gun for the money I know of... hands down.

I think the most fun I’ve ever had shooting.... was watching my mom and her old lady church friends pound on steel out to 500 one afternoon with Em’s CTR. They had a ball... and talked mad schitt for weeks to all the old men.

That CTR .260 would be the last centerfire Rifle to go... not even a debate.
I will have my rifle on Monday and scope on Wednesday. I have burris xtr low rings waiting. I will put that package together and weigh it up. Either way, I am ok with the heavier rifle on this platform. It wont have a bipod or cheek pad on it and when I carry it in a hunting environment - 5 rounds in the magazine should be good.
Sweet....I am sure you'll dig the setup like the rest of us do. I was merely showing that its very possible you may end up 20% or more heavier than your initial weight goal.
Enjoy your new CTR. Finally got around to shooting mine. Grabbed a box of factory 140 ELD-M and ran through all 20. Not a bad start. Looking forward to seeing how this tightens up with more rounds down the new barrel. May find a box of Prime 130s just to see how they compare.

[Linked Image]
Picked up my CTR today and weighed it - as you guys had mentioned it is heavier than the spec sheet. On my scale it shows 8 # 4.7 ounces as is. I will end up adding 3.5 oz in the rings and 27 oz on the scope which by math should be about 10 pounds 3-4 oz before any ammo is loaded. Again - I am ok with that as this will be a heavier dedicated LR rifle.

The trigger was crisp, but heavy, so I took it apart and now the trigger is breaking at a crisp 2 pounds. I degreased the action screws and put everything back together. Overall, fit and finish is good. LOP is a touch longer than I am use to as it has both the spacers in the stock - may have to adjust that.

The gun nut in me says to swap out the stock with one of these A3 mcmillans - https://mcmillanusa.com/product/a3-tikka-t3/ - but that would add another half pound and not sure if I want to throw down the $800. Decisions, decisions...lol

The weaver will be in on Saturday. I will get it all mounted up and try to get out to shoot Sunday. To start, I have two boxes of Hornady Precision hunter 143 eld-x loads. We will see what she does with those and then have that brass to work up some loads. A couple different trusted people have shared loads with that bullet and H4350 between 41.5-43.5 - I think that is were I may start if I can located some H4350.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SD65 Re: T3x CTR/ SWFA 3-9X42 thoughts - 02/13/18

I was thinking of possibly grabbing a CTR but also like the PVA John Hancock Rifle. If you like the A3/A5 profile stocks, Ryan McMillan from Grayboe Stocks, is planning a release of the Tikka inletted stock option. He is not yet sure whether it will be offered in the Ridgeback or Renegade, or whether available with an adjustable cheek piece as option if offered in the more economical Renegade.

https://grayboe.com/stocks/

You may also want to try the Hornady 147ELD-M offerings in your CTR.

I shouldn't be looking at these posts as it will cause me to spend $$ that I don't have.

SD
Guys, I am loosing my mind....I haven't even shot this or even mounted a scope on it and I couldn't help myself and ordered up a McMillan for it....YIKES...

Ordered the Carbon Fiber Game Hunter in Urban Camo....I think the pattern will look pretty cool with the black finish of the rifle. I expect this weigh maybe an ounce or two less than the factory stock - just a little bit more solid feel.

https://mcmillanusa.com/product/game-hunter-tikka-t3-t3x/
Game Hunter does nothing for me over the factory stock. Each to their own.

Now...Manners is bringing out at Tikka Mini Chassis for some of their stocks.

That peaks my interest.
Picked up my CTR today and weighed it - as you guys had mentioned it is heavier than the spec sheet. On my scale it shows 8 # 4.7 ounces as is. I will end up adding 3.5 oz in the rings and 27 oz on the scope which by math should be about 10 pounds 3-4 oz before any ammo is loaded. Again - I am ok with that as this will be a heavier dedicated LR rifle.

The trigger was crisp, but heavy, so I took it apart and now the trigger is breaking at a crisp 2 pounds. I degreased the action screws and put everything back together. Overall, fit and finish is good. LOP is a touch longer than I am use to as it has both the spacers in the stock - may have to adjust that.

The gun nut in me says to swap out the stock with one of these A3 mcmillans - https://mcmillanusa.com/product/a3-tikka-t3/ - but that would add another half pound and not sure if I want to throw down the $800. Decisions, decisions...lol

The weaver will be in on Saturday. I will get it all mounted up and try to get out to shoot Sunday. To start, I have two boxes of Hornady Precision hunter 143 eld-x loads. We will see what she does with those and then have that brass to work up some loads. A couple different trusted people have shared loads with that bullet and H4350 between 41.5-43.5 - I think that is were I may start if I can located some H4350.

[Linked Image]

Right on man!! Looks good and right about where I thought you'd end up.

Like OutdoorAG, the game scout personally gives me nothing more that the factory doesn't already provide other than around 16-20 oz. For my application the weight savings isn't worth it and I thought it wasn't for you. However if it is important again then it certainly makes sense by all means. Be sure to let us know how you like the stock and what it gives you to the OEM stock in comparison.

Also I bet you do like that Weaver Tactical. I was pleasantly surprised with the one I put on my buddy's rifle just handling it and mountain it and such. Look forward to running it out to distance in the near future. Congrats on your rifle sir I am sure you'll end up loving it.
The weight of the McMillan is indifferent - wont be more than maybe 1-3 oz difference 26-30 oz, I think the factory stock weighs around 30 oz)..More about feel, quality, and just something to make me feel good - you know the warm fuzzies...lol, if it doesn't do what I want, ill sell it - it will sell quick if need be.

I am more excited about the weaver....Everything I have read put this at one heck of a scope - especially at a sub $600 price. I am hoping my burris XTR low rings will clear and I won't have to get new rings. Also it has me intrigued that Kenton industries makes yardage turrets for it....
A T3 Lite with a 20-25 ounce scope is still around 8 lbs loaded depending on mounts and what not. Far from a flyweight....and that weight range makes for a nice balance of portability and stability.

8 lbs 3 oz

T3x lite 6.5 creed Whittakers special run with 24” barrel.
McMillan Hunters Edge
26 oz scope
34mm Vortex (Seekins) rings

[Linked Image]
The weight of the McMillan is indifferent - wont be more than maybe 1-3 oz difference 26-30 oz, I think the factory stock weighs around 30 oz)..More about feel, quality, and just something to make me feel good - you know the warm fuzzies...lol, if it doesn't do what I want, ill sell it - it will sell quick if need be.

I am more excited about the weaver....Everything I have read put this at one heck of a scope - especially at a sub $600 price. I am hoping my burris XTR low rings will clear and I won't have to get new rings. Also it has me intrigued that Kenton industries makes yardage turrets for it....

Right on!! If I were to go to a more traditional stock I would most certainly try the KRG Bravo personally. Seems it offers quite a bit for $400 or so. I am sure the McM will be schwanky for sure. Look forward to seeing it all put together. Any idea on the lead times these days?
Not sure on lead times but this one is built already in the retail store. Should have it in 3-4 days.
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Right on!! If I were to go to a more traditional stock I would most certainly try the KRG Bravo personally. Seems it offers quite a bit for $400 or so. I am sure the McM will be schwanky for sure. Look forward to seeing it all put together. Any idea on the lead times these days?

I dropped my 6.5cm CTR into a carbon fill McM Gamehunter as well. I haven't figured out how to post pics here since PB went south...

I don't know that it's any lighter than the factory handle, but I really like the look and feel of the game hunter. Unfortunately I've been too busy lately to shoot any paper and decide whether I'll need to bed the new stock.

The vertical grip is solid.

The comb is higher also, which I like. I have a Bushnell LRHS in Seekins lows on this rig and it feels just right.

I didn't have any problem with the factory stock either, I think they're about the best plastic handle I've used on any current rifle. But if a guy has the funds the Gamehunter is a nice accessory for a mid weight rifle like the CTR. I think it'd be a little too chunky for a t3 lite.
Here it is so Far...The McMillan is scheduled to be here by Tuesday so I will swap out the stock then. Overall it looks good. Scope is built a tank - never had a scope this heavy, but I am thinking I will like it. The rings are Warne Mountain Tech Mediums.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Let us know how much travel you have left before the turret stops on that 0 MOA rail. You may end up wanting to swap to a 20 MOA rail, just curious.
Based on how it came from the factory and is mounted right now....it currently has 14.7 mils of down travel and 17.4 of up travel....If that stays true or even close that should give me plenty to dial
© 24hourcampfire