Home
Posted By: wdenike .300 WBY - 07/09/18
Has anyone tried any of the eld x 200 gr. And up to 220 gr. Same for nosler acubond LR, Or anything else that you all may have had success with for elk out to 1000 yards. I'm pretty sure nosler stretches the truth with their BC. But if they work I can adjust that on the calculator. I also planed on using IMR 4350, unless there is something much better??? Just trying to save a little time, gun is a vanguard. Also understand they are all individual guns.

Take care, Willie
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: .300 WBY - 07/09/18
Willie, I have (2) 300 Wby’s I have used on elk out to 700 yards. 180gr NAB for one rifle and Barnes 180gr TSX bullets in the other. Both have good accuracy and solid killing performance. The Accubond bullet has caused more damage on elk...But, the TSX has penetrated deeper, usually with bullet recovery on the opposite side inner rib cage or found just under the hide. Never shot either at 1000 yards on an elk...😎
Posted By: wdenike Re: .300 WBY - 07/09/18
Thanks, 600-700 will probably be the max for me too, in darn good circumstances. As I'm pretty comfortable with other cartridges at those distances. But would like to fool with the steel a little at 1000. And didn't want to spend a bunch experimenting with bullets that are noted to be finicky. Knowing the free bore situation. And not wanting to single load. Just hoped maybe someone had luck loading mag length with something that just flat worked. The rascal shoots the hell outa green and yellow 180gr. Core-Lokts. But I'd be a feared they would fly like a bowling ball much past 450. Will see how many respond, and thanks for the two you suggested .

Take care, Willie
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: .300 WBY - 07/09/18
Regarding powder, I'd always opt to use 7828 over IMR4350. Even though 4350 has always been one of my favorite powders. In the WBY though, powders like 7828 are your huckleberry.
Thanks, I'll probably have to keep it in mind. If the 4350 craps out. Just being a cheap arse! At those distances probably not going to get away with it though.

Take care, Willie
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: .300 WBY - 07/09/18
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Regarding powder, I'd always opt to use 7828 over IMR4350. Even though 4350 has always been one of my favorite powders. In the WBY though, powders like 7828 are your huckleberry.

7828 here behind a 180 gr. TSX. Have taken Elk at 600 yds. Punched it twice, second shot was unnecessary. Both were just a few inches apart.

If I remember correctly, 7828 was the original factory loaded powder. Someone like JB might chime in with more info. Think at one time I used RL-22 also, this before some of the newer RLs were released.

For a 24” barrel or a bit lighter bullets, you might consider 4831 (sc might stack in there better). Not sure about long range ballistics, but used to use the 168 grain Barnes and they were like sledgehammers (per Barnes direction, they have recommended using one or two size lighter bullets for the monos).
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: .300 WBY - 07/09/18
Originally Posted by wdenike
Thanks, I'll probably have to keep it in mind. If the 4350 craps out. Just being a cheap arse! At those distances probably not going to get away with it though.

Take care, Willie

I'm a cheap azz too, so I know how you feel. I also have quite a bit of IMR and H4350 around, so I also know how you feel about that powder. Just buy a pound of 7828, and give it a try. It may be worth the expense.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: .300 WBY - 07/09/18
I use RL-26 in my .300 Wby. I'm getting 3200 +/- (26" barrel) with a 180 grain Nosler Partition,accuracy is just under an inch at 100 yards.
Posted By: Rodell Re: .300 WBY - 07/09/18
I haven't found anything better than 7828SSC behind the 180 Barnes in the 300 Weatherby. It was also one of the easiest loads to find I've ever had.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: .300 WBY - 07/09/18
7828 is what I use pushing a 200 AB....they are verry accurate and hit hard....
Thanks guys guess I'll have to turn loose a couple bucks and try the 7828!!! Looks like a lot of 180 gr. being used.
Thought I'd have to go with a little heavier for the BC.

TAKE CARE, Willie
Have any of you guys used Ramshot Magnum.

Take care, Willie
Posted By: Bella1 Re: .300 WBY - 07/09/18
I've used 180 accubonds and partitions 84.7 7728 for years but put a BRUX 1/10 26" on my Lh 700. New load is 78 gr H4831-SC. And 200 accubonds 2938 es 6. The 588 bc is a hair low but I'm at 5300/6000 elv. Start low work slow ! .279 c-c 5 shot. Gun hates 212 eldx. 4 300 Win mags love them
Posted By: hanco Re: .300 WBY - 07/10/18
I load 150 Barnes for my 300 Weatherby, kills deer and pigs like lightening!
Posted By: Sheister Re: .300 WBY - 07/11/18
Used Nosler Partitions 180 grain in my Pre 64 70 300 H&H Improved (same specs as a Wby) out to extended ranges. Accuracy was outstanding as far as I could see and probably a lot further. Accubonds and BT hunting also shot extremely well in my Pre 64 70. My other 300 Mags also like them a lot. Haven't felt the need to try anything else so can't really expound on other pills.

Bob
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: .300 WBY - 07/25/18
I read somewhere the 180gr E-tip was supposed to be good in the 300 weather you , but have had no luck with it . Any body here tried them ? The 200 gr SGK has shown some good promise .
Kenneth
Posted By: Ridgegoat Re: .300 WBY - 07/25/18
I don't know why nobody has brought this up yet, but if you are truly going to hunt at longer ranges you need to consider using a proven temp stable powder. I use h1000 in my 300 bee just for that reason. Pushing a barnes 168 ttsx fast enough to get the job done. Look at hofgfon extreme line. A difference of 50 fps in velocity or more from your summer practice to fall or winter hunting conditions will cause a miss at extended ranges. You will also need a chronograph to measure velocity of your load. If you can't invest the time and money into doing the testing and doing it right, do us all a favor and don't do it. It's cool and all, but there are a lot of factors past "point and shoot"

As far as bullet selection, the hornady eld line will work fine for extended ranges, as will nosler accubond, and barnes. Most manufacturers will give a velocity range for their bullets that will still give acceptable bullet performance. That's why you need a chrono. If you know the mv of a load, you can use a ballistics app to see what your true MAX range is, which will depend entirely on the lowest velocity your bullet will still expand at.
Posted By: Calif. Hunter Re: .300 WBY - 07/25/18
My friend and I have always used IMR 7828, mostly pre-SSC, and 180 gr Partitions for elk. I used a 165 gr Grand Slam on my first elk, and it worked great, too. Now, I would probably use a 168 gr Barnes. I used 85 gr IMR7828 in Weatherby cases but had to drop down to 82 gr in Remington brass with the 180s. Start lower and work up in your gun, of course. These loads shot 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch groups in 3 different rifles.

The suggestion for a temp insensitive powder is a good one if you are hunting in extreme weather. In Montana one year, it was 18 below at 8 AM. Where we live and sight in, it is usually 70-80.
Posted By: wdenike Re: .300 WBY - 07/26/18
Originally Posted by Ridgegoat
I don't know why nobody has brought this up yet, but if you are truly going to hunt at longer ranges you need to consider using a proven temp stable powder. I use h1000 in my 300 bee just for that reason. Pushing a barnes 168 ttsx fast enough to get the job done. Look at hofgfon extreme line. A difference of 50 fps in velocity or more from your summer practice to fall or winter hunting conditions will cause a miss at extended ranges. You will also need a chronograph to measure velocity of your load. If you can't invest the time and money into doing the testing and doing it right, do us all a favor and don't do it. It's cool and all, but there are a lot of factors past "point and shoot"

As far as bullet selection, the hornady eld line will work fine for extended ranges, as will nosler accubond, and barnes. Most manufacturers will give a velocity range for their bullets that will still give acceptable bullet performance. That's why you need a chrono. If you know the mv of a load, you can use a ballistics app to see what your true MAX range is, which will depend entirely on the lowest velocity your bullet will still expand at.

For the most part, thanks guys. Have some h-1000, and retumbo. Along with a few different LR lead at different weights on the way.
As for the above quote. It takes a real narcissistic know it all to azzume, while not even knowing the person whom which they are speaking to. That the person doesn't have the tools required for project at hand. " Do us all a favor and don't do it " what do you have a friggen mouse in your pocket??? As I am sure most on here don't need any favors from a self proclaimed know it all. "It's cool and all, but there are a lot of factors past " point and shoot " LMFAO Carry on azz hat!!!

Take care, Willie
Posted By: rosco1 Re: .300 WBY - 07/26/18
Chronograph is handy no doubt.. but hardly a necessity
Posted By: Ridgegoat Re: .300 WBY - 07/26/18
Wow, didnt mean to come off that way wdenike. Just trying to bring up some valid points on lr hunting. I have an opinion, like most people, about slinging lead at critters at long ranges. Have ya shot much past 600? 1000? If ya have than excuse me. And you are right, i dont know ya. I was saying dont do it as in dont go slinging lead at animals at long range and making an "azz hat" out of yourself by wounding an animal. I guess for a sensitive fella such as yourself i should have put it milder. I think shooting long is a lot of fun! And by all means if you have the stuff to do it than go for it. I was just trying to say do your due diligence for the animals you persue and for the rest of the hunters who have to live with the already bad rap hunters can get. No need to get yourself all worked up.

I guess i should assume everyone on here who is asking anything is a pro. My bad
Posted By: Ridgegoat Re: .300 WBY - 07/26/18
And seriously, im not here to make any enemies. So my bad ill dial my opinion down.

I tried the 212 eldx in my 300 bee, never got great accuracy out of it, but did take an elk with one at just over 200, and it blew it to all holy hell on a dhoulder shot. I think for longer ramges they would perform well though. The noslers are supposedly good down to 1600 or so. And yea, nosler definetly fudges a bit on their bc's. But ya can look up litz numbers that he tested himself. I think you can trust those. If ya need i can look them up in his book when i get home.
Posted By: wdenike Re: .300 WBY - 07/27/18
Sir, I could have taken you completely wrong. As sometimes reading off this wonderful flat screen Internet. Is no where near the same as communicating in person. As for enemies. The only ones I consider enemies are the anti America COMMIES which everyone knows, and I won't give them the satisfaction of mentioning their names. As I can't stand the air they breathe. But mostly I can adamantly disagree with someone, and carry friendly conversation the following day. With out carrying the hatchet around forever. If this is the case then my apologies for the barbed reply.

Take care, Willie
Posted By: beretzs Re: .300 WBY - 07/29/18
7828 has been really good in my 300 WBY with everything from 165’s to 200’s. RL26 should be great as well. I’m planning on running my old rechambered 300 Wby with Bitterroots this fall, but it’s shot Accubonds and Partitions real well. Good luck, love the 300 Wby. Always seems like an easy to feed big cartridge.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: .300 WBY - 07/29/18
I have used a 300 WBY extensively. I have tried a lot of bullets and killed a lot of game. I have even shot a few 1000 yd BR matches with it.

H4350 is not going to work well with the 200 and up. In fact, I found it too fast for even the 150s and 165s. I haven't tried any of the new wonder powders but the following worked well with heavy bullets; H4831 and it's variants, R22, N560 and magpro. Magnum is almost the same as Magpro and will probably work too. I wouldn't think you could get enough H1000 in the case but I could be wrong.

Best luck was with 200 grain Bergers.
Posted By: wdenike Re: .300 WBY - 07/29/18
Thanks again all.
Dennis any problem with losing velocity with our extreme temperature swings??? Thanks.

Take care, Willie
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: .300 WBY - 07/30/18
We don't have the typical temperature swings in AZ. I may work a load up when it's 100 and shoot it when it's 40. Never has been a problem. People really tend to over think this. IF you are going on a polar bear hunt, I would worry about the stability of the powder. For more normal endeavors, it is really not an issue.
Posted By: HiredGun Re: .300 WBY - 08/01/18
7828 is the Weatherby powder of choice for duplicating Roy's original specs like 180's at 3300 fps. I load 200 grain Accubonds to 3.700" OAL and get 3150 fps and brass life of 20 shots not that I am using the Willis collet body die to restore the brass right down to the belt and a Lee collet die on the necks. I only bump the shoulders .001" about every 3rd time. I use the same charge for Berger 210's. Both bullets go 3150 and into 1/2 MOA consistently and often much tighter 3 shots groups and very rarely over .5 MOA.

I have recently started experimenting with Ramshot Magnum in the 300 and 257 because I hate weighing charges and it seems to be nearly identical results for accuracy and velocity as the 7828. I don't remember the charge. You will need to find it for your rifle. I can go faster with either powder but it starts stretching primer pockets so over the years I just keep backing off to get the brass life up to 20+. I only use Weatherby brand brass. It has the largest capacity of all the different 300 Wby brass I have tried. My rifle is an Accumark with an Accubrake and an accuracy package we developed for the Accumarks. Freebore has never been an accuracy issue for any Weatherby rifle we have encountered or built. I love all my Weatherby's.
© 24hourcampfire