Home
Posted By: DX247 Tame the Beast - 10/06/18
300 Remington Ultra Magnum … Factory Ammunition or Reloads

Probably the most Powerful Long Range .30 Caliber Cartridge available for Target Shooting or Hunting
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Tame the Beast - 10/06/18
I think the 30-378 Wby tops the 300 RUM a bit.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Tame the Beast - 10/06/18
Bro in Law has one. It was christened "Cleaver" long ago.
Rem 700. RMEF edition. Good feeling rifle that doesn't recoil as hard as you'd think, considering the hot dogs your sliding into the action.
180 Accubonds over enough Retumbo to blow a stump. Pretty well holds MOA out to 400.

They do typically "overpenetrate" a 100-200 lb whitetail...........
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Tame the Beast - 10/06/18
You want to tame it?

You could always try 130s over a load of Trail Boss, But then you could just as well shoot them out of a 30-30.
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 10/07/18
Maybe the Question is ... Tame the Beast or Unleash the Beast ?

One of the best things about the 300 RUM is that you can go from a 150gr. bullet with the effects similar to a 308 ( Tame the Beast ) or at the other end of the charts, use a 220gr. bullet to utilize the full effects of the 300 RUM ( Unleash the Beast )
Or everything in between ... 165gr., 180gr., 200gr. & 210gr
With powder charges as low as 70gr. to over 100gr's depending on your choice of powders.

Or you can go with some of the Factory Ammunition that's available from the top Ammunition Companies that are out there.

Choose Wisely ...
Posted By: SKane Re: Tame the Beast - 10/07/18
Originally Posted by Potsy

180 Accubonds over enough Retumbo to blow a stump.

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Sheister Re: Tame the Beast - 10/07/18
That's about the thoughts I have on the 300 RUM. Too much powder for too little gain, IMO. And after shooting one, I realized even in the Remington factory stock they weren't really that bad. But if I had to pay $40-$85 for ammo, I wouldn't be shooting much. And handloading costs would eclipse the old 300 Mag by enough to make me a little pissed every time I emptied a can of powder.

All that being said, you can always find a real slow powder like H1000 and load it down a bit if you handload. As long as you have fairly full cases- not a good idea to load short loads in big magnum cases..... but then, if you're loading it down to tame it, why not send it down the road and buy something you enjoy a bit more? A 300 Mag comes to mind...

Bob
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Tame the Beast - 10/08/18
230 grn Berger Tactical OTM ahead of 88 grns of H1000 = 2950 fps tamed to 308 recoil with a mad scientist brake by Patriot Valley. Def my pet load in the 300 Rum.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Tame the Beast - 10/08/18
I honestly like the rifle and the round. I think if you worked up a definition of a cross canyon elk killer it'd probably be pretty close. It doesn't jar the molars too hard (it does have a pretty huge limbsaver pad built into the stock) and it's not obnoxiously heavy. To me, it's the upper limit of what I'd care to carry and the upper limit of the long range horsepower I can accurately manage (or at least tried to). I've got one rifle with a brake, and I'll never own another, unless the brake has threads to screw my 9" SAS Arbiter on, which would be pretty awesome on a RUM.

I just don't ever see me WANTING one bad enough to buy one and I REALLY don't NEED one.

As far as taming down, either buy a suppressor, an 18 pound .300 RUM, or an 8 pound .30-06..........
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 10/08/18
Here's a Screamer for ya …

… 300 RUM ...

Bullet - 178gr. BTHP Match
Powder - 102gr Retumbo

= Velocity - 3,300 fps … BC - .530

At that Velocity this Bullet is Screaming down range while achieving a BC that stands up against other .30 Caliber Bullets without compromising Energy at Impact.

Attached picture beckstrand-favorite-remington-700-1.jpg
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Tame the Beast - 10/09/18
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

It is true that the 30-378 has a slightly larger powder capacity than the 300RUM, it is an anomaly that the 300 RUM shoots faster than the 30-378.
The only answer I can come up with is that the 30-378Wby is one of the worst cartridge designs ever ???
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Tame the Beast - 10/09/18
Originally Posted by Cpl_Austin

… 300 RUM ...

Powder - 102gr Retumbo

At that Velocity this Bullet is Screaming down range while achieving a BC that stands up against other .30 Caliber Bullets without compromising Energy at Impact.

DANG, but that's a lotta powder to only gain 100 fps over the .300 Weatherby...……………………...
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 10/09/18
I've never owned or shot a 30-378 so I can't comment on it but I have read about it's History and it's effectiveness so I'm sure there are those out there that would be qualified to give some good information on it.

From what I've read about the 30-378 it sounds like it's a very effective Cartridge.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Tame the Beast - 10/10/18
Originally Posted by Yoder409

… 300 RUM ...

Powder - 102gr Retumbo

DANG, but that's a lotta powder to only gain 100 fps over the .300 Weatherby...……………………...

And roughly 20" more 10mph drift at 1000 than my little 7mm RM with the 180 ELD-M started at 2915 using 67.0 grains of RL26. For example/discussion only. But yeah, that 300 Rum is a cannon for sure.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Tame the Beast - 10/10/18
Originally Posted by boatanchor
[quote=bigsqueeze].
The only answer I can come up with is that the 30-378Wby is one of the worst cartridge designs ever ???

Bad enough to have held the 1000 yard BR record for...…….like...……..about 3 decades, bad.

Yep.
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 10/10/18

Here's a great Boulder Splittin Load for ya …

… 300 RUM …

Bullet - 200gr. NOS AB

Powder - 95gr. Retumbo

= Velocity - 3,000 fps

It carries that EFP all the way out there ..

Nuthin like hearin it CRACK! ... when it hits that Boulder out on the Ridge …
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 10/18/18

Trying out another Load …

… 300 RUM …

… Bullet - 150gr. FMJ/BT

… Powder - 82gr. H4831sc

= Velocity - 3,150 fps

Should be a great 200yd + Hole Puncher
Posted By: hanco Re: Tame the Beast - 10/19/18
I have a 7mm ultra mag. It doesn’t have the recoil you would think it would either. I guy on my lease bought a 300 this year. He said recoil isn’t bad also.
Posted By: Draftmule Re: Tame the Beast - 10/29/18
That was excactly my quest this summer. I built two 700 300 Rums and shot a wide variety of factory and reloaded ammo. One can find great deals on Rum factory but the wealth of reloading data prevailed. Just got home yesterday from a backback Bull hunt 6 miles in and going to retrieve the hanging quarters with my mules tomorrow. Was dialed in totally confident with a well proven and documented Rum load. Search 200 Accubond 300 Rum. For some reason one of those forgiving bullets for a Rum and drop dead performance for me. Very stoked to find my best long range results and hunting loads as follows . Norma brass, 92 grains Retumbo, 200 grain regular Accubonds, 3.66 OAL with Win mag primers. Federal mag primers performed about the same but last days shooting too 600 the win primers a tad more consistent and I was surprised because the Federal primers were match grade. I did have both 26 inch barrels threaded for brake, took on and off when target shooting the two and hunted with the brake. Very sweet, have fun!
Posted By: yobuck Re: Tame the Beast - 10/29/18
[quote=bigsqueeze].

Bad enough to have held the 1000 yard BR record for...…….like...……..about 3 decades, bad.

Yep.

If your referring to the one of about 3 and 3/4" shot by Earl Chronister at Williamsport in the mid 80s, it actually it only held for about 2 years, and theres never been another with that cartridge.
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/20/18
The 300 Remington Ultra Magnum is the most powerful , .30 Caliber Magnum Cartridge currently available. I recently reloaded some 300 RUM cartridges that proved how much power this Cartridge carries downrange one of these impressive loads was a 180gr Gameking , Retumbo powder loaded for 3,000fps , it literally shattered a boulder at 200 yds.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Tame the Beast - 11/20/18
Callahan ... Callahan, is that you?
Posted By: Boxer Re: Tame the Beast - 11/20/18
The 300 Remington Ultra Magnum is the most powerful , .30 Caliber Magnum Cartridge currently available. I recently reloaded some 300 RUM cartridges that proved how much power this Cartridge carries downrange one of these impressive loads was a 180gr Gameking , Retumbo powder loaded for 3,000fps , it literally shattered a boulder at 200 yds.

You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks are a Hoot! A .500BC 180 Game Queen at 3000fps,is "impressive" to you? Your version of "Handloading",is adding Food Coloring to the water in your Super Soaker. Hint. Congratulations?!? Laffin'.

PLEASE do not extrapolate a 21" 7-08 squirting a 180 ELD(.796BC) at 2600fps in relation to it,because you will be in your crib rolled in the Fetal Position,sucking your thumb and crying yourself to sleep...as you conjure your Imagination and summons enough Pretend to "shatter" "boulders". Hint. Laffin'!

Pardon the fact I've shot more than a "wee bit" of 300 Ultra and 30-378Wby both. Hint. They are maligned by COAL latitude and routinely schitty brass(the '378 especially). If launching Ping Pong balls makes you giddy and you enjoy getting slapped around with chamberings consuming well shy of 50% of their propellant volumes...then they are "great" choices. LAFFIN'!

Do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt,as you wax eloquent upon your version of "knowledge","experience" and "results".

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!
I recently loaded my 300 RUM with a 200gr. ELD-X bullet, Retumbo powder for 3,000 fps with a 600+ BC . for some Long Range shooting.
The results were above and beyond my expectations, this is a great load for my my Remington 700 Long Range and the load is nowhere near max.
So there is still more room to experiment with.
Accuracy and Energy , what more could you ask for.
I want to thank everyone that has given some great comments on this subject.
Unfortunately there is always at least one that posts inappropriate and rude remarks that don't even pertain to this forum , so of course they will be deleted and blocked.
In the meantime all of you with your years of experience to share with us will continue to be posted and enjoyed while we all share our enjoyment of the "Sport of Target Shooting" and Hunting.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Tame the Beast - 11/21/18
What is the matter with you?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/22/18
I want to thank everyone that has given some great comments on this subject..

especially Boxer......
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/22/18
Originally Posted by Stickfight

I think we're just supposed to say, "Amen", then go to Cracker Barrel for Chicken Fried Chicken.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Tame the Beast - 11/22/18
Originally Posted by Stickfight

According to the APA, and referencing the DSM-5, it is now referred to as an "intellectual disability"...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/22/18
I'm thinking it's it's either a bot, or someone getting ready to start hawking pecker cream or athletic shoes or posting on politics. Gotta establish some creds first.

The phrasing is certainly peculiar.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Tame the Beast - 11/22/18
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-oinyjsk0
Posted By: fredIII Re: Tame the Beast - 11/22/18
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I want to thank everyone that has given some great comments on this subject..

especially Boxer......

Good old Don never misses a chance to get some nuts on his chin! Do ya you old broken down turd. LOL.
I’d post a picture of my dick but I don’t want you to choke to death on your computer screen. 😂
Originally Posted by Boxer

You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks are a Hoot! A .500BC 180 Game Queen at 3000fps,is "impressive" to you? Your version of "Handloading",is adding Food Coloring to the water in your Super Soaker. Hint. Congratulations?!? Laffin'.

PLEASE do not extrapolate a 21" 7-08 squirting a 180 ELD(.796BC) at 2600fps in relation to it,because you will be in your crib rolled in the Fetal Position,sucking your thumb and crying yourself to sleep...as you conjure your Imagination and summons enough Pretend to "shatter" "boulders". Hint. Laffin'!

Pardon the fact I've shot more than a "wee bit" of 300 Ultra and 30-378Wby both. Hint. They are maligned by COAL latitude and routinely schitty brass(the '378 especially). If launching Ping Pong balls makes you giddy and you enjoy getting slapped around with chamberings consuming well shy of 50% of their propellant volumes...then they are "great" choices. LAFFIN'!

Do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt,as you wax eloquent upon your version of "knowledge","experience" and "results".

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

You truly have learned everything the hard way ain’t ya sugar tits. Done it all seen it all bingo. 🤣😂😂. Kill anything but rink fork horns this year. 😀
https://youtu.be/N4RpQtyI_p4

This and no 7-08 will ever come close.

It’s exciting how much everyone cares what everyone else shoots it’s like a giant group hug.
Except you don your a snide little ball washer. Oh it’s gonna be a great winter.
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/22/18

Check out the ballistics on the 225gr. Honady ELD Match
for the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum,
With a .730 B.C. @ 2,900fps

Hornady measures this B.C. @ 800 yds with Doppler Radar for accuracy.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tame the Beast - 11/22/18
The 180gr ELD from a 7WSM/7RM with a 0.796 BC at 2900-3000 fps carries more ballistic mail with less powder burned and less recoil wink
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The 180gr ELD from a 7WSM/7RM with a 0.796 BC at 2900-3000 fps carries more ballistic mail with less powder burned and less recoil wink

23” obeoneknoby. 180 eldm

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Tame the Beast - 11/22/18

LOL. That's almost sigline material.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/22/18
CplA...There’s more to it than just Muzzle Velocity at the start... 7WSM, 28Nosler, 7Mag all using skinny projectiles behind good powder will slide through the air maintaining velocity while a 300 RUM with poor BC bullets start to drag and lose velocity.

And, I own and love my 300 ultra mag. Have hunted it for many years. Owned a 30-378 Roy for several years too. Killed a lot with both. But, I can’t change physics when it comes to ballistical coefficient bullets that aren’t there for the 30 cal, yet.

I just placed an order for a custom build 7WSM with a respected gun builder after seeing what my pards 28N was doing on steel at 750 yards compared to the splash from my 300 Roy shooting 180g NAB’s. Proof was before my eyes...😎
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/24/18
There's no doubt that the 7mm Remington Magnum is a Cartridge with great performance in its category …

With that in mind the category for the 7mm R.M. is at 175gr's or less @ 2,900fps with a B.C. of 0.675
being a very respectable load.

But the .30 cal. Long Range load that is recommended for the purpose that I was referring to,
is the 300 RUM, 225gr. ELD Match @ 2,900 fps with a B.C. of 0.730

It's Apples and Oranges
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tame the Beast - 11/24/18
What "category" are you talking about? When it comes to supersonic external ballistics, the only categories that matter are drag profile and velocity. We generally represent the drag profile with an appropriately modeled ballistic coefficient.

7RM - 180gr ELD-M, 0.401 G7 BC, 2950 fps (or if you prefer) 195 Elite Hybrid, 0.387 G7 BC, 2900 fps

.300RUM - 225gr ELD-M, 0.391 G7 BC, 2900 fps

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but fantasizing the RUM doesn't change physics. The .300 RUM is a great chambering for specific applications, but it's not magic.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Tame the Beast - 11/25/18
Sorriest cartridge that’s ever been sluffed off onto the ignorant!!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/25/18
Your thoughts on why? Aside from hunting in LA 😎
Posted By: 79S Re: Tame the Beast - 11/25/18
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Oh I can think of much worse cartridges that been as you say sluffed onto the ignorant..
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Oh I can think of much worse cartridges that been as you say sluffed onto the ignorant..

I’m sure he was referring to himself and hunting in Louisiana 😎
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/25/18
The numbers I posted for the 225gr ELD Match in a 300 Remington Ultra Magnum Cartridge are based on actual data that the bullet manufacturer
( Hornady ) obtained from Doppler Radar readings . Not some made up hypothetical numbers with no basis.
Reference ... Hornady Reloading Data Manual ... 10th edition.
The numbers I posted for the 225gr ELD Match in a 300 Remington Ultra Magnum Cartridge are based on actual data that the bullet manufacturer
( Hornady ) obtained from Doppler Radar readings . Not some made up hypothetical numbers with no basis.

Oh man I'm getting a headache... the 180gr ELD-M 7mm bullet has G1 BC of .796 .. in short as some been trying to tell you that 7mm whatever will outshoot the RUM

Hell the 338 285gr eld-m with a bc of .829 will out shoot the rum, granted anything 338 mag going beat you up pretty good probably less than that rum
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Tame the Beast - 11/25/18
This is literally the textbook example of willful ignorance.

As defined:

"Willful ignorance is the state and practice of ignoring any sensory input that appears to contradict one's inner model of reality. At heart, it is almost certainly driven by confirmation bias.

Willful ignorance differs from ordinary “ignorance“ — when someone is simply unaware of something — in that willfully ignorant people are fully aware of facts, resources and sources, but refuse to acknowledge them. Indeed, calling someone "ignorant" shouldn’t really be a pejorative, but intentional and willful ignorance is an entirely different matter. In practice though, the word "ignorance" has often come to mean "willful ignorance", and indeed, in many non-English languages, the word based on the same stem ("ignore") actually carries that meaning.[citation needed]

Willful ignorance is sometimes referred to as tactical stupidity.

Depending on the nature and strength of an individual's pre-existing beliefs, willful ignorance can manifest itself in different ways. The practice can entail completely disregarding established facts, evidence and/or reasonable opinions if they fail to meet one's expectations. Often the willfully ignorant will make excuses, claiming that a source is unreliable, suggesting that an experiment was flawed or asserting that an opinion is too biased. More often than not this is simple circular reasoning: “I cannot agree with that source because it is untrustworthy because it disagrees with me”.

In other slightly more extreme cases, willful ignorance can involve outright refusal to read, hear or study, in any way, anything that does not conform to the willfully ignorant person's worldview.

With regard to oneself, this can even extend to fake locked-in syndrome with complete unresponsiveness. Or with regard to others, to outright censorship of the material from others."

Next I am waiting to hear about how the .300 RUM's bullets rise once they leave the barrel, rather than fall, due to their awesomeness compared to all others...
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Tame the Beast - 11/25/18
A friend of mine calls it "aggressively ignorant," which seems particularly appropriate to the Internet.

I don't know where your getting your data for your 7mm , but you must be dreaming cuz those numbers don't exist , so wake up and smell the gun powder

And as far as the 338, of course it can do that , it's in another category
My point exactly

I don't know where your getting your data for your 7mm , but you must be dreaming cuz those numbers don't exist , so wake up and smell the gun powder

And as far as the 338, of course it can do that , it's in another category
My point exactly

Ok now you are just trolling.. someone sock puppet anyhow here are those number straight from hornady

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/7mm-.284-180-gr-eld-match

What's interesting is that the same Data Information that your using for your 7mm also shows the Data for the 300 RUM that exceeds the 7mm bullet B.C.'s

BULLET MACH 2.25 MACH 2.0 MACH 1.75

… 7mm 180gr. ELD Match … 0.777 0.748 0.731

.. 30 Cal. 225gr. ELD Match … 0.798 0.782 0.749

Good post,
Thanks for showing the proof .
What's interesting is that the same Data Information that your using for your 7mm also shows the Data for the 300 RUM that exceeds the 7mm bullet B.C.'s

Good post,

You know you got them flipped backwards.. .308 225gr eld-m G1 bc .777 and the .284 180gr eld-m G1 bc is .798..

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/30-cal-.308-225-gr-eld-match

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/7mm-.284-180-gr-eld-match

Good post,

Lol I see what you did you took the data for .308 using a 1-7 twist but you used the data for .284 using 1-8 twist to get the numbers in your favor lol.. oh man you are something* else..
Posted By: Boxer Re: Tame the Beast - 11/25/18

Good post,

You poor poor(literally) RETARDED Fhuqkstick...I'm laughing soooooooooo fhuqking hard I'm crying!!!!! You go girl!

Pardon Facts and Physics,RELIABLY colliding with your Delusional DUMBfhuqktitude and the ONLY thing that you "shoot" is your Imagination and Pretend. Hint. Congratulations?!?

LAFFIN'!

[Linked Image]

Feel free to "cite" the "platforms" you "shoot" the projectiles you have NEVER even fhuqking "seen" in and mebbe say sumptin' about throat geometry and COAL "latitude"...but be VERY careful in said Delusion(s). Hint. LAFFIN'!

Here's a 180 ELD,with a buncha other staples wellllllll beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Hint. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

I "only" gun 'em in a herd of rifles chambered 7-08,7-08AI,7 Whizzum,280 and 280AI. Hint.

A few more mainstay extrapolations,that you will have to Google,to "see". Hint. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

225 ELD bearing surface anyone?!? Hint. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

As an aside,when you "shoot" your Imagination and it's Pretend,how "loud" is it?!? I realize a 7 Whizzum's splendor,when launching 180 ELD's at 2900fps+ ala a mag fed Smooch,is fhuqking DEAFENING,to your Retardation. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

I "only" have (3) of 'em,so chambered. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Take another coupla hits,GoogleFu some more and give 'er another whirl,with your BEST efforts,as you proffer Guess after Guess...to them who's afforded the luxury of fhuqking KNOWING. Hint.

You CLUELESS Do NOTHING DUMB Fhuqks are a hoot!

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Tame the Beast - 11/25/18
My first experience with RUM was many years ago, long before it gained fame in the shooting community. Nasty stuff and IMHO the RUM sucks.

Whiskey is cool.

[Linked Image]

Good post,

Dude, you win!
Go forth and crush boulders with your 300 RUM. 😉😎
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Tame the Beast - 11/25/18
Try the Core-Locts in that RUM. Doesn't get any better than the Core-Locts.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tame the Beast - 11/25/18
LOL, should nickname that rifle “Mountain Crusher” grin
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tame the Beast - 11/25/18
Originally Posted by 79S

Good post,

Lol I see what you did you took the data for .308 using a 1-7 twist but you used the data for .284 using 1-8 twist to get the numbers in your favor lol.. oh man you are something* else..

Well, at least the guy can cherry pick, even if he can’t accurately analyze data wink
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Good post,

Dude, you win!

Yep, not even in the same League
enuff said …...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18
What 'League'? Bowling for Boulders?
Posted By: 79S Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18

Good post,

Dude, you win!

Yep, not even in the same League
enuff said …...

I don't know about Californians you all must live in a alt world.. you proved nothing.. if anything you provided no facts to back your claim..
Posted By: smokepole Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18

enuff said …...

More than enough. More than "way too much."
Posted By: fredIII Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18
I’m new to all this ballistic stuff, do ‘#’s matter or just flight path. Seems a certain amount of impact force is required to smash giant rocks.

CPL? Are Hornady bullets made I’m Mexico or Canada. 🤭
Posted By: smokepole Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18
Originally Posted by fredIII
Seems a certain amount of impact force is required to smash giant rocks.

You dummy. It's called "rock-down power."

Especially if you talk with an Asian accent.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18

Perhaps Corporal Austin was a sniper, and we just don't know what he knows....

After all he displays an Infantry unit insignia (or is it a patch) along with his rank.

We just need to sit back and get educated by his wealth of experience.

Personally, just being a grocery bagger at the grocery store at Rock Ridge, I don't get out much, but I read a lot!

Plus I don't have much experience with boulders...
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18

… 300 RUM …

Bullet - 200gr. NOS AB

Powder - 95gr. Retumbo

= Velocity - 3,000 fps

i get right at 3200fps with that load over the chrono. only load i shoot in my rum.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by fredIII
Seems a certain amount of impact force is required to smash giant rocks.

You dummy. It's called "rock-down power."

Especially if you talk with an Asian accent.

😂🤣
Posted By: irfubar Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18
Fred 111 & Mackay I suggest you PM Big Stick he will get you up to speed on this long range stuff, if that doesn't work out you can PM Shrapnel and ask him about his Creedmoors ?

You can thank me later..... smile
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18
Pot stirrer 😂😎
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18
Your trying to Cartridge Category compare your 7mm bullet ( .284 ) to a 7.62mm bullet (.308 )

It doesn't work that way,.

... Examples for Accurate Ballistic Calculation comparisons ...

...... Standard Cartridge's .....
.308 Winchester ... 155gr ELD Match ... 2,800fps. ... B.C. 0.439

30-06 Springfield ...168gr ELD Match ... 2,950fps. ... B.C. 0.490

...... Magnum Cartridge's ......

300 Win. Mag. ... 178gr ELD-X .... 3,100fps. ... B.C. 0.545

....... Ultra Magnum Cartridge's ......

300 Rem Ultra Mag. .. 200gr ELD-X .... 3,150fps ... B.C. 0.626

These are just a few .. Cartridge Comparison Category's .. the bullet weight and speed vary for optimum performance.
Posted By: mathman Re: Tame the Beast - 11/26/18
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A friend of mine calls it "aggressively ignorant," which seems particularly appropriate to the Internet.

It also shows up in some CBHS influenced posts. grin
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Tame the Beast - 11/27/18
Originally Posted by irfubar
Fred 111 & Mackay I suggest you PM Big Stick he will get you up to speed on this long range stuff, if that doesn't work out you can PM Shrapnel and ask him about his Creedmoors ?

You can thank me later..... smile

I thought it was a "CreedMORE, as is MORE better than a .308...

Perhaps It wiLL Help If I staRt Using Capitalization in inaPPropriate places to Emphasize thingS like Cartridge Comparison Category's

Does anybody Know WhY is there an aposTrophe in "Cartridge Comparison Category's"

I LoVe thIs PLaCe!

I can get an edjumaction in longe range boulder shooting and English 101! grin

Let thee Skewlin begen!
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Tame the Beast - 11/27/18
Your trying to Cartridge Category compare your 7mm bullet ( .284 ) to a 7.62mm bullet (.308 )

It doesn't work that way,.

... Examples for Accurate Ballistic Calculation comparisons ...

...... Standard Cartridge's .....
.308 Winchester ... 155gr ELD Match ... 2,800fps. ... B.C. 0.439

30-06 Springfield ...168gr ELD Match ... 2,950fps. ... B.C. 0.490

...... Magnum Cartridge's ......

300 Win. Mag. ... 178gr ELD-X .... 3,100fps. ... B.C. 0.545

....... Ultra Magnum Cartridge's ......

300 Rem Ultra Mag. .. 200gr ELD-X .... 3,150fps ... B.C. 0.626

These are just a few .. Cartridge Comparison Category's .. the bullet weight and speed vary for optimum performance.

Numbers shmumbers......CORE-LOKT!!!!!
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Tame the Beast - 11/27/18
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Numbers shmumbers......CORE-LOKT!!!!!

You mean " Score-Lokts"!!!

laugh
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tame the Beast - 11/27/18
This brings up a terrible conundrum. What Cartridge Comparision Category does the .50 BMG fit under? It doesn’t have “Magnum” or “Ultra Magnum” in its name, so should it be placed under the “Standard” category? The ballistic performance would better fit under the “Uber Supreme” category, but not quite in the “Ultimate Missile” category. I’m so cornfused.

How can a guy compare ANY two cartridges with so many Cartridge Comparison Category rules? Maybe I should consult the Cartridge Comparison Category Rulebook for Aspiring Ballisticians (CCCRAB)...
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/27/18

There's nothing like having your own personal " Proof Reader "

Don't need to bother with " Spelling , Grammar or Punctuation Checker "

Thanks
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Tame the Beast - 11/27/18

There's nothing like having your own personal " Proof Reader "

Don't need to bother with " Spelling , Grammar or Punctuation Checker "

Thanks

There's nothing like having an asshat know-it-all show up on the 'fire.

Guess who also shoots? Guess who has already done it all, bought the shirt, worn it out, and now uses it to dry off the dog?
That's a great Idea …. 50 Caliber Category ....

How about something like this …

….. Monster Magnum's …...

….. 50 Beowulf …. 0.500" ….. 350gr. XTP Mag … 1,800fps … 0.200 B.C. ...

….. 505 Gibbs ….. 0.505" ….. 525gr. DGX …… 2,300 fps … 0.270 B.C. ...

….. 500 Nitro Express ….. 0.510" …… 570gr. DGX … 2,100fps. … 0.295 B.C. ...

..... 50 BMG ..... 0.510" ....... 750gr. A-MAX ..... 2,800fps. .... 0.451 B.C. ....

And the Winner is ***** 50 BMG *****

No, no. You’ve got it all wrong again. The 500 Nitro Express has “Nitro” in its name, so it belongs in the “Nitroglycerine” Cartridge Comparison Category. And none of those chamberings have “Magnum” in their names, so they clearly can’t belong to the “Monster Magnum” category. Come on. Get your crap together.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/27/18
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

It is true that the 30-378 has a slightly larger powder capacity than the 300RUM, it is an anomaly that the 300 RUM shoots faster than the 30-378.

Where did you hear that? Got them both, one nice thing about the 30-378 is seating 230’s at magazine length, and it’s accurate....and faster. I don’t use either of them a whole lot anymore.
Even when your just having fun, there's always a critic.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/27/18
Even when your you're just having fun, there's always a critic.

David
LOL

Make that two critics
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Tame the Beast - 11/28/18

You poor poor(literally) RETARDED Fhuqkstick...I'm laughing soooooooooo fhuqking hard I'm crying!!!!! You go girl!

Pardon Facts and Physics,RELIABLY colliding with your Delusional DUMBfhuqktitude and the ONLY thing that you "shoot" is your Imagination and Pretend. Hint. Congratulations?!?

LAFFIN'!

[Linked Image]

Feel free to "cite" the "platforms" you "shoot" the projectiles you have NEVER even fhuqking "seen" in and mebbe say sumptin' about throat geometry and COAL "latitude"...but be VERY careful in said Delusion(s). Hint. LAFFIN'!

Here's a 180 ELD,with a buncha other staples wellllllll beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Hint. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

I "only" gun 'em in a herd of rifles chambered 7-08,7-08AI,7 Whizzum,280 and 280AI. Hint.

A few more mainstay extrapolations,that you will have to Google,to "see". Hint. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As an aside,when you "shoot" your Imagination and it's Pretend,how "loud" is it?!? I realize a 7 Whizzum's splendor,when launching 180 ELD's at 2900fps+ ala a mag fed Smooch,is fhuqking DEAFENING,to your Retardation. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Take another coupla hits,GoogleFu some more and give 'er another whirl,with your BEST efforts,as you proffer Guess after Guess...to them who's afforded the luxury of fhuqking KNOWING. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

LOL.

Lil Fish is still only get one post per day?

That is never not funny. grin
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 11/28/18

…. 5.56 x 45 …. 62gr. FMJ …..

…. 7.62 x 51 …. 150gr. FMJ …..

?
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Tame the Beast - 11/28/18

…. 5.56 x 45 …. 62gr. FMJ …..

…. 7.62 x 51 …. 150gr. FMJ …..

?

Yup. Best long range hunting bullets out there. After any Core-Lokt, that is.

I find that the 7.62x51 shoots flattest out of a 300 Weatherby, though some guys think that they fly flatter out of a RUM.

Since we're swinging for the Retard Fence, That's my best swing this morning.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Tame the Beast - 12/05/18
300 Remington Ultra Magnum … Factory Ammunition or Reloads

Probably the most Powerful Long Range .30 Caliber Cartridge available for Target Shooting or Hunting

I'll pass, thanks.

My needs don't include burning 100g of powder every time I pull the trigger.
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 12/05/18

…….. The 30-06 Has always been one of my favorite Hunting Rifles ….

……. Having said that, I can load the same .30cal 180gr. Hunting Bullet ( 30-06 Equivalent @ 2,700fps. ) to reach a velocity of 3,250fps., with only 30gr more Powder. …..

….. The point being … with the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum loads, the Speed, Energy at Impact and Ballistics can be increased so much more for Long Range,
Which is what this discussion has been about.
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/17/19
So for those who still don't see the advantages to shooting .30 Caliber Magnums and Ultra Magnums, Here's a comparison :

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

…….………. 308 Winchester ………............. 30-06 Springfield ............. ............. 300 Remington Ultra Magnum .........................

................ 178gr. ELD - Match .................. 178gr. ELD - Match ............................. 178gr. ELD - Match .................................

.......... + 42.5gr. - Accurate 2460 .............. + 59.3gr. Superformance ................... + 90.2 gr. - Alliant RL-26 .............................

.............. 2,550fps. - 0.515 B.C. .............. 2,750fps. - 0.515 B.C. ....................... 3,250fps. - 0.515 B.C. ...............................

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted By: rovert Re: Tame the Beast - 02/18/19
So for those who still don't see the advantages to shooting .30 Caliber Magnums and Ultra Magnums, Here's a comparison :

…….………. 308 Winchester ………............. 30-06 Springfield ............. ............. 300 Remington Ultra Magnum .........................

................ 178gr. ELD - Match .................. 178gr. ELD - Match ............................. 178gr. ELD - Match .................................

.......... + 42.5gr. - Accurate 2460 .............. + 59.3gr. Superformance ................... + 90.2 gr. - Alliant RL-26 .............................

.............. 2,550fps. - 0.515 B.C. .............. 2,750fps. - 0.515 B.C. ....................... 3,250fps. - 0.515 B.C. ...............................

So more powder pushes the same.bullet faster? That's enlightening.

You're doing a terrible job at substantiating your claims.The RUM is faster and less efficient. There's no denying that. Why anyone would shoot a 178 eld-m out of a 300 RUM is beyond my comprehension.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/19/19
Just imagine if they'd named the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum... the 300 Ultra Creedmore magnum!?!?

[Linked Image]

(good thing they didn't, it probably would have knocked the earth off it's axis)
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Tame the Beast - 02/19/19
Originally Posted by rovert

You're doing a terrible job at substantiating your claims.The RUM is faster and less efficient. There's no denying that. Why anyone would shoot a 178 eld-m out of a 300 RUM is beyond my comprehension.

The part in bold literally made me laugh!
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/19/19

So what part of it don't you get ?
Velocity + Ballistics = Distance/Accuracy
It's not Rocket Science

Or are you just trying to avoid recoil ?

If you can't handle the Recoil.... Stay away from the Magnum's

Attached picture 30-06-300WM-300RUM.jpg
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Tame the Beast - 02/19/19
Pass the .545 BC 88 ELD in a 22 Kreedmire at 3250fps from a 22" spout...and it's Velocity + Ballistics = Distance/Accuracy

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pass the .545 BC 88 ELD in a 22 Kreedmire at 3250fps from a 22" spout...and it's Velocity + Ballistics = Distance/Accuracy

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Anyone can pluck a little bullet out to try to make some kind of a point.

But if you will notice in the the comparisons that I made they are all the same 178gr ELD-Match bullet.

Face it in the Magnum's the 300 Rem. Ultra Mag. is a Superior Cartridge.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Anyone can pluck a little bullet out to try to make some kind of a point.

But if you will notice in the the comparisons that I made they are all the same 178gr ELD-Match bullet.

Get a clue ......

Pardon Facts and Physics raining on your parade.

Your Stupidity,is only a barometer of "evaluation" to you...despite being fhuqking HILARIOUS to all!

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tame the Beast - 02/19/19

Get a clue ......

Well that’s ironic. LOL
Pardon Facts and Physics colliding with your Delusional Fantasies. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Maybe stomp your itty-bitty feet and hold your breath to boot?

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!..............
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/19/19

Get a clue ......

Well that’s ironic. LOL

My 300 Ultra Mag Buddy is back...I love the 300 RUM

Jordan, Be nice. We all know the .30 cal is far superior for slipping the airstream than say a .284 with it’s increase in velocity versus decrease of a .30 cal...Whaaat! How’s that possible? Jordan, please explain why this is so. 😎

300 PRC still doesn’t have an appeal for me. Like the 300 Norma. I’m just gonna slum the slower 300 Ultra for big furs.

Get a clue ......

Well that’s ironic. LOL

Jordan, Be nice. We all know the .30 cal is far superior for slipping the airstream than say a .284 with it’s increase in velocity versus decrease of a .30 cal...Whaaat! How’s that possible? Jordan, please explain why this is so. 😎

300 PRC still doesn’t have an appeal for me. Like the 300 Norma. I’m just gonna slum the slower 300 Ultra for big furs.

In fairness...Reloading Dies are VERY "tricky".

Stumped By Reloading Dies Reliably RINK

Ooooopsie!.............

[Linked Image]
Larry you are so awesome...You will be missed. 😎

Larry’s Great Escape Rink

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8-lg3m4bqTA
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

LAFFIN'!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

LOL.

Lil Fish is still only get one post per day?

That is never not funny. grin

Nope...The Little Fella escaped in his hamster Ball 😎

Dink Rink

Get a clue ......

Well that’s ironic. LOL

In fairness...Reloading Dies are VERY "tricky".

Stumped By Reloading Dies Reliably RINK

Ooooopsie!.............

[Linked Image]
You’re a poacher! Not surprised 😎
You’re a poacher! Not surprised 😎

I'm happy to "be" whatever you need MOST.

Dies are tricky!

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

The 300 Remington Ultra Magnum is like having five .30 Caliber Rifles in one.

( 308,. 30.06, 300 H&H,. 300 Win. and the 300 Wby )

And of course the 300 RUM which exceeds all of them.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: rovert Re: Tame the Beast - 02/19/19

So what part of it don't you get ?
It's not Rocket Science

Or are you just trying to avoid recoil ?

If you can't handle the Recoil.... Stay away from the Magnum's

Well, you're right about one thing, it is not rocket science. That "formula" is not science at all.

If you care to get into it, it does actually resemble rocket science, just not from the approach you are taking.

Please explain to me why one would shoot a 178 ELD from a RUM. They make them in 208 (and 225 if you have the rpms), you know? Or are you just trying to avoid recoil?
Posted By: ldholton Re: Tame the Beast - 02/19/19
I'm thinking this thread has been a bit de-educating
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/20/19
Even though a Rifle Caliber is able to shoot a heavier bullet, does not mean that's the only bullet it can shoot.
The versatility of a Rifle Caliber is what makes it more desirable, for example the 30-30 is a great caliber but it's limited to it's range of effective bullets.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Tame the Beast - 02/20/19

That's six.
Posted By: rovert Re: Tame the Beast - 02/20/19
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

That's six.

Don't get hung up in the little details. He's revolutionizing modern ballistics understanding with his mathematical work:

Posted By: smokepole Re: Tame the Beast - 02/20/19

Don't get hung up in the little details. He's revolutionizing modern ballistics understanding with his mathematical work:

I see what you mean. It's almost like getting to meet "The Real Gunsmith" in person.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Tame the Beast - 02/20/19
Gonna have to git me one of dem tree hundurds
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Tame the Beast - 02/20/19
I think he works for Bryan Litz, you boys might want to pay attention. He will learn you something! Not sure what that something is but. smile smile smile
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/20/19
What ever you say there cpl autism
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/20/19

So with that thinking a 30/378 weatherby would be like 6 rifles in 1?
Wow....I’ll have to pitch that to my wife..
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Tame the Beast - 02/20/19
Originally Posted by Tom264

So with that thinking a 30/378 weatherby would be like 6 rifles in 1?
Wow....I’ll have to pitch that to my wife..

Seven
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Tame the Beast - 02/20/19
Cpl knows what he knows, what you guys don't understand is that he plans to fly those 178 ELD's in a 300 RUM cartridge in the Bombay doors of his Cabelas drone straight to the target and pickle it 2' over the target. Now that is flat just like he says. You guys are just imagination short. MB
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tame the Beast - 02/21/19

Get a clue ......

Well that’s ironic. LOL

.300 RUM/225 ELD, 7WSM/180 ELD. I used my actual velocity in the 7WSM with 25" barrel and compared both using pressure-tested data and QL. I gave the RUM every advantage I could- 1000 psi higher peak pressure, an extra inch of barrel, etc. Sucks to burn nearly 40 gr more powder with every shot, and still come in 2nd place grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: Tame the Beast - 02/21/19

Get a clue ......

Well that’s ironic. LOL

.300 RUM/225 ELD, 7WSM/180 ELD. I used my actual velocity in the 7WSM with 25" barrel and compared both using pressure-tested data and QL. I gave the RUM every advantage I could- 1000 psi higher peak pressure, an extra inch of barrel, etc. Sucks to burn nearly 40 gr more powder with every shot, and still come in 2nd place grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is awesome data!
Posted By: SKane Re: Tame the Beast - 02/21/19

laugh
Posted By: kingston Re: Tame the Beast - 02/21/19
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Cpl knows what he knows, what you guys don't understand is that he plans to fly those 178 ELD's in a 300 RUM cartridge in the Bombay doors of his Cabelas drone straight to the target and pickle it 2' over the target. Now that is flat just like he says. You guys are just imagination short. MB

This belongs in the UFO thread. Lol
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Tame the Beast - 02/21/19
The most lame-brained cartridge ever produced!!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/21/19

Get a clue ......

Well that’s ironic. LOL

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thank you Jordan...And that is why I own both. A 7WSM and a 300 Ultra. I hate 3rd place finisher. 😎
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19

The '300 Remington Ultra Magnum Cartridge' performance speaks for itself but Hornady makes these ELD bullets
and they stand behind the 300 RUM .

" The 300 Remington Ultra Mag. in factory loads can push a 180gr bullet out at 3,300fps from a 26" barrel.
Given the cartridge's preference for slower burning powder's, the long barrel helps exploit the full potential of the round. "

" The new 220gr ELD-X bullet was designed for cartridge's like the 300 Ultra Mag,
where you can combine a low drag, accurate hunting bullet with a profile that doesn't require seating past MAX COL."

Hornady
' Handbook of Cartridge Reloading '
Tenth Edition

" You can lead a Horse to water but you can't make him drink. "
Posted By: rovert Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19

" You can lead a Horse to water but you can't make him drink. "

You're trying to pass the koolaid, not lead to water.
So w
Originally Posted by SKane

laugh

So what does a 180gr bullet and a 225gr bullet have in common ? … NOTHING !!!

If you want to compare Bullet's and Velocities of a 7 WSM & a 300 RUM :

…………. 7 WSM …………….300 RUM ………...
………. 175gr ELD-X ……….178gr ELDX ……….
…... 71.0gr - MAGNUM ….. 90.2gr - RL - 26 ......
….........2,900fps .................. 3,250fps .................

Only 19.2gr more powder with a velocity increase of 350fps.
Below is a picture of Cartridges as an example of 30 Cal and 7 WSM.

The Thrill of Victory .... The Agony of defeat

Attached picture 7mm wsm.jpg
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19
So w
Originally Posted by SKane

laugh

So what does a 180gr bullet and a 225gr bullet have in common ? Are you done trying to answer my question ? Because the answer is NOTHING !!!

You can't come in 1st when you can't even start the race … Now let's try it again … pay attention this time .

Ok, if you want to compare Bullet's and Velocities of a 7 WSM & a 300 RUM this is what you need to do:

I'm at the finish line, waiting, waiting ..... oh, is that you ... almost but several other caliber bullet's got here before you .... too bad.

That's how it's done ... you can't win if you can't even reach the target.

We had a wall plaque in our holiday trailer. It read, "Before you shoot your mouth off, make sure your brains are loaded!"

You sir, have failed to abide by that slogan.

Why do you think this thread has gone on as long as it has? It's not because it is insightful, to the contrary, every time you post, you demonstrate what you don't understand.

Most of the posters are egging you on, but you don't understand that.

I'm glad you like your 300RUM. But it is an extremely inefficient cartridge. To help you out, an inefficient cartridge is one that burns excessive amounts of powder to gain diminishing ballistic gains. I shoot a 300WSM with a 168gr bullet and Reloder 17. Alliant powder does not list the 168gr bullet or Reloder 17 in the 300RUM, so I'll use Reloder 22 which is listed for both cartridges.

The 300WSM and a 165gr bullet can achieve 3125fps with 73grs of RL22.
The 300RUM and a 165gr bullet can achieve 3268fps with 93grs of RL22.

I will admit RL22 is not slow enough to maximize the cavernous capacity of the RUM, but it is a straight comparison that demonstrates that the RUM requires 20grs more powder to achieve 143fps more velocity with the same bullet. Is the animal any more dead or the rock any more split with 143fps more velocity? Nope. But your barrel will burn out faster than my WSM and I can load 6 WSM rounds for every 5 RUM you load. The RUM is even economically inefficient.

Back in the days before good laser rangefinders or ballistic reticles or tactical turrets, some people felt that shaving even an inch off the trajectory could make a difference between one more xring, or a dead deer. I still practice maximum point blank range. I know my loads, so I sight in so that I am pretty much dead on at 300yds and my bullet is never more than about 4" high. My MPBR is about 330yds or wherever the bullet dips below 4" below line of sight. If you use this correctly, if I hold dead on the center (height) of a deer's chest, I will not miss that deer and will kill it anywhere from the muzzle to 330yds. Even at 400yds, I am 11" low, 26" low at 500. MPBR has worked for me for 35 years. To sight in differently screws my brain up.

Now days, a shooter or Hunter, with a rangefinder and a scope with a ballistic reticle or turrets can do anything a RUM was designed to do with a 308Win or a 6.5 Creedmoor. Less powder, less recoil.

Enjoy your RUM, but if you want posters to stop laughing at you, stop posting on this thread. To keep posting you are confirming the old adage: "If you think people think you are an idiot, open your mouth and confirm it."
Posted By: rovert Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19

So what does a 180gr bullet and a 225gr bullet have in common ? Are you done trying to answer my question ? Because the answer is NOTHING !!!

You can't come in 1st when you can't even start the race … Now let's try it again … pay attention this time .

Ok, if you want to compare Bullet's and Velocities of a 7 WSM & a 300 RUM this is what you need to do:

I'm at the finish line, waiting, waiting ..... oh, is that you ... almost but several other caliber bullet's got here before you .... too bad.

So let's assume that your comparison above is the correct comparison to make, which it is not. Your bullet gets to the target with less drop. The 7WSM gets there with less wind drift. If you've done any amount of long range shooting, you would understand that wind is the hard part. Elevation (drop) is easy. Congratulations, you've used 30 grains more powder to make it harder to hit the target.

Now, if you insist on using the 178 in the 300 RUM, which I wouldn't, a better comparison would be to the 150 ELDX in the 7WSM. The WSM is both flatter and drifts less. Comparing bullets of the same weight across calibers is a fail.
Posted By: SKane Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19

So let's assume that your comparison above is the correct comparison to make, which it is not. Your bullet gets to the target with less drop. The 7WSM gets there with less wind drift. If you've done any amount of long range shooting, you would understand that wind is the hard part. Elevation (drop) is easy. Congratulations, you've used 30 grains more powder to make it harder to hit the target.

Cpl_Austin - take the cerebrum off of autopilot for a moment.
Comprehend and actually absorb what rovert has laid out above.

And, I suppose congratulations are in order - it's been some time since someone has given Jeff O a thick-headed run for his money on this forum.

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19
Getting somewhere first is better than arriving at the right place. Applying Capt America’s thinking. 😎
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19
I like the .300 Weatherby.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19

When I hunt and shoot, I never look at a chart, I just kill stuff. I had a 300 WBY, but my brother talked me into a 30-378. It didn’t take long to get over that and I went back to the 300 WBY.

I have found the 300 WBY to be the most for the least in the 30 caliber magnums. Anything more is too much of not enough, anything less is not enough of too much...
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19
Originally Posted by AB2506
To keep posting you are confirming the old adage: "If you think people think you are an idiot, open your mouth and confirm it."

Too late...

Although the version of that saying Grandpa always used was: “Better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt”

grin
Posted By: mathman Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19
Osmium may no longer be the densest ...
Posted By: SKane Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19
Originally Posted by mathman
Osmium may no longer be the densest ...

laugh laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19
I am looking at the charts on page 6 and the 30 caliber bullet has about 1/3 more energy at 2500. I see the trajectory and wind drift lag. But if I want rocks busted wouldn't more energy be useful?

Comment's that are being made about the 300 RUM having to use more powder to achieve the velocity and distance that it gets,
that's to be expected for those of us that are shooting the 30 Cal Magnums. We are using them because of the cartridge size to be
able to do exactly that, put more powder in to get more speed and distance.

Some here have replied that I am using 40gr or 30gr more powder to do the same thing as they are with lesser caliber's, which is not true as a matter of fact in the
last example that I used with the 7wsm & the 300 Rum just to make a point, that was less than 20gr more powder to get 350fps more velocity.

This post is about 30 Cal. Magnums, so I appreciate those that reply with good information to share about the 30 Cal. Magnum's ,
like the last person who was talking about the 30-378 and the 300 Wby. that they are using.

As for any comment's that don't apply to this post or are Immature and Inappropriate ... I have set them on Ignore so I don't even see their comments ,
which I recommend for the other serious shooters to do the same. Then we can share information in this post as it was meant for.

Posted By: Judman Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19
Hey man run whatcha brung and be happy about it.... I’m sure some folks think the stuff I shoot is dumb but I ALWAYS produce results.... your not making anyone but yourself happy...
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19
Getting somewhere first is better than arriving at the right place. Applying Capt America’s thinking. 😎

LOL. The Cpl. has got to be trolling. No one is that dense. Are they?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19

As far as the Immature, Inappropriate and comment's that don't apply to this post, I have set them on Ignore so I don't even see their comments ,
which I recommend for the other serious shooters to do the same. Then we can share information in this post as it was meant for.

Good advice.

“You are now ignoring this user. You will no longer see the body of any of their posts.”

Ahh, that’s better. Back to intelligent, reasonable conversation... grin
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/22/19

As far as the Immature, Inappropriate and comment's that don't apply to this post, I have set them on Ignore so I don't even see their comments ,

Good advice.

“You are now ignoring this user. You will no longer see the body of any of their posts.”

Ahh, that’s better. Back to intelligent, reasonable conversation... grin

Laffin...Jordan on ignore!...Oh my, my...What’s has the Fire become? 😎
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I am looking at the charts on page 6 and the 30 caliber bullet has about 1/3 more energy at 2500. I see the trajectory and wind drift lag. But if I want rocks busted wouldn't more energy be useful?

Your right, for rock busting you do want more energy :

............ 300 R.U.M. ...............
…. 180gr Sierra SBT GK …...
……... 82.8gr - 4831 ………...
….......... 3,250fps .................
......... 4,200 - Energy/ft.lbs ...

= Boulder Buster's @ 500yds

Interesting fact " John Buhay of Stevens, PA. broke the 'Light Gun World Record' at Williamsport, PA.in 2001
John shot a perfect score of 100 with a 5.377" group using the 200gr HPBT MatchKing in his custom built '300 R.U.M.'

... Sierra Rifle & Handgun Reloading Data ...
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

Your right, for rock busting you do want more energy :

............ 300 R.U.M. ...............
…. 180gr Sierra SBT GK …...
……... 82.8gr - 4831 ………...
….......... 3,250fps .................
......... 4,200 - Energy/ft.lbs ...

= Boulder Buster's @ 500yds

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19
Originally Posted by ldholton
I'm thinking this thread has been a bit de-educating

Agreed, I made it to your post and have a hell of a headache. crazy I'll just leave it here.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19
I think this discussion has been VERY helpful to me, as I just drew a 2019 Wyoming Unit 6 boulder tag. If I get a chance a a trophy, I wanna be able to SPLIT that summbitch……….not just put a hole in it !!!!
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19
I think this discussion has been VERY helpful to me, as I just drew a 2019 Wyoming Unit 6 boulder tag. If I get a chance a a trophy, I wanna be able to SPLIT that summbitch……….not just put a hole in it !!!!

What I thought that was a single Tag issued per year. Go buy a lottery ticket right now.
Posted By: kingston Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19
As for any comment's that don't apply to this post or are Immature and Inappropriate ... I have set them on Ignore so I don't even see their comments, which I recommend for the other serious shooters to do the same. Then we can share information in this post as it was meant for.

It’s an elite club.
Posted By: kingston Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19
195 EOL at 3100...
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

What I thought that was a single Tag issued per year. Go buy a lottery ticket right now.

It is !!!

This is the very first year it's not a governor's tag.........AND I DREW !!!!!!!!!

A little off topic........but anybody have any inside info on a good outfitter, or better yet, some private land in Unit 6 for a trophy quality boulder ???
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19
I am a boulder poacher. I admit it. Who was that guy who admitted he shot two does and then lied about it then confessed?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19

Ha! You wanna split that boulder use something with balls!

The cartridge on the left will do it,trust me. wink
[Linked Image]
Another Example of Energy/ft.lbs. from a 30 Caliber Magnum Cartridge

.... 190gr. HPBT MatchKing ....
............ 87.8gr. - RE 22 ............
................... 3,200fps ................

= 4,321 Energy/ft.lbs

... Sierra Reloading Manual ...

Whether your Target Shooting Long Range or Big Game Hunting
the 30 Cal. Magnum's carry an impressive amount of Energy at point of Impact.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19
The cartridge on the right is a .375 RUM loaded with a 260 grain Nosler Partition 2900 fps from a 26" barrel. And it has 4856 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle.

[Linked Image]

The cartridge on the left is a .460 Wby and the bullet is a 500 grain Hornady DGX at 2300 fps. It has a 5874 ft.lbs of energy at the muzzle.

Kinda makes the .300 RUM look puny.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19

= 4,321 Energy/ft.lbs

There is no fixing stupid. It's like herpes once you get it you got it for life.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Tame the Beast - 02/23/19
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

= 4,321 Energy/ft.lbs

There is no fixing stupid. It's like herpes once you get it you got it for life.

That’s no joke...
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/24/19
Beretzs and MCH are now on ignore with Jordan, myself and 1/4 of the Fire members. Congrats! 😎
Posted By: beretzs Re: Tame the Beast - 02/24/19

Beretzs and MCH are now on ignore with Jordan, myself and 1/4 of the Fire members. Congrats! 😎

I’ll wear that as a badge of honor... and I actually like my 300 RUM...
Here’s my new to me 300 Ultra I bought off a guy from another forum a week ago...😎

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Tame the Beast - 02/24/19
Nice,except for the egg beater on the muzzles end. wink
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Tame the Beast - 02/24/19
The 224 Kreedmire reference snapped her,like it does all Window Lickers.

hint...................
You sober enough to read the head stamps now?
[Linked Image]
elkchunt,

Your MAGNIFICENT fhuqking Stupidity,never disappoints and your gross inability to formulate a First Clue...simply borders on the INCREDIBLE. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for trying and do not "forget" about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore.

Hint.

Oooooooopsie!

Laughing!...............
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

It’s an easy on/off for pards that might disagree with the louder effect. I’m comfortable either way. Having a tamer when working up loads isn’t a bad thing. Eggs are hard to clean outta the exhausts I admit. Grin. 😎
The 224 Kreedmire reference snapped her,like it does all Window Lickers.

hint...................

Gerbil boy...You clean the inside of your speed ball rig lately? Hard to find your poached deer with fouled windshield I can assume 😎

Speed Ball Rink for a Gerbil that poachers dinks

Beaver,

Be SURE to start a Thread,if/when you see your first 224 Kreedmire and roll video of you TRYING to set the dies up. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..............
elkchunt,

Your MAGNIFICENT fhuqking Stupidity,never disappoints and your gross inability to formulate a First Clue...simply borders on the INCREDIBLE. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for trying and do not "forget" about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore.

Hint.

Oooooooopsie!

Laughing!...............

Take that as a "NO" then.

It’s an easy on/off for pards that might disagree with the louder effect. I’m comfortable either way. Having a tamer when working up loads isn’t a bad thing. Eggs are hard to clean outta the exhausts I admit. Grin. 😎

Yup,working up loads would be a bit easier.

I hear you,them eggs are a b**** to get out of the exhaust ports. wink
Beaver,

Be SURE to start a Thread,if/when you see your first 224 Kreedmire and roll video of you TRYING to set the dies up. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..............

That’s the beauty of not having or wanting to have everything you desire Gerbil boy. I’m at ease killing near and far with things beyond your abilities and not just in weight and recoil which you fear...Heard you have an issue with flinching? Spotlighting may be just a part of it. You’re a small Gerbil for you clan. Things easily scare you. 😎
elkchunt,

Take it any direction,your Retardation steers it. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............
Beaver,

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..............

That’s the beauty of not having or wanting to have everything you desire Gerbil boy. I’m at ease killing near and far with things beyond your abilities and not just in weight and recoil which you fear...Heard you have an issue with flinching? Spotlighting may be just a part of it. You’re a small Gerbil for you clan. Things easily scare you. 😎

Booze is kicking in,along with your Stupid. Congratulations?!?

In fairness however...dies are "tricky" and you could start a Thread.

Hint.

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Laughing!................
Gerbil Boy, I am tired from dropping you on your head today...Work on your flinching issue and we’ll check in on your progress later if we have time. 😎
elkchunt,

Take it any direction,your Retardation steers it. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............

So you're saying that you cannot read these head stamps. Figures.
[Linked Image]
elkchunt,

You are doing "GREAT"! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Just as "well" as your "esteemed" Imaginary Pretend Ignore you poor poor(literally) Lying/CLUELESS Piece Of Fhuqking Schit.

Hint.

Bless your heart for doing your best,with what incredibly little you have to work with.

Hint.

Laughing!.............
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/24/19
Copy...………...paste...……….copy...………...paste...……………..copy...………….paste...……………. Pass him the lithium.
Whine,Imagine and Pretend...your Trifecta. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............
elkchunt,

Just as "well" as your "esteemed" Imaginary Pretend Ignore you poor poor(literally) Lying/CLUELESS Piece Of Fhuqking Schit.

Hint.

Bless your heart for doing your best,with what incredibly little you have to work with.

Hint.

Laughing!.............

So,you're saying in your own deflecting way,is that you cannot read those head stamps. Gotcha. wink
elkchunt,

Hint.

Hint.

Laughing!.............
Ya know, Pigz Dik…………….. I actually do believe that you just MIGHT have some rudimentary shooting knowledge above the average, unwashed Joe. And thusly, you COULD be...…….maybe...……..an asset to this website, rather than just an ass. Alas, though...………….sucking from the teat of perceived power through the nipple of self-aggrandized knowledge usually doesn't do anything but tell the rest of the world "you suck".
Bless your cold, little, two-chambered heart for trying...……………….
'409,

You suck a mean ass. Congratulations?!?

PLEASE find me "mistaken",as I assure you the ATTEMPT,will be funnier than fhuqk.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!............
'409,

PLEASE find me "mistaken",as I assure you the ATTEMPT,will be funnier than fhuqk.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!............

Raise the draw bridge !!!! Raise the draw bridge !!!!

Pass the lithium...………………...
You just proved Yoder409 point. Congrats moron.

I think you know just enough about firearms to get you into trouble.
You Window Licking CLUELESS Kchunts,be sure to "convince" yourselves...of that which you most NEED to hear. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

Laughing!.............
Raise the draw bridge !!! Raise the draw bridge !!!!
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Tame the Beast - 02/24/19
I just figured it out. Stinky is speaking Nancy Palozie ! F U C K Thats why nobody can understand the little muddle headed troll.

...........................----------------------cut along dotted line ...................................-----------------------cut along dotted line.......................................
'409,

PLEASE find me "mistaken",as I assure you the ATTEMPT,will be funnier than fhuqk. Until then,feel free to "flaunt" your Imagination and it's Pretend.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!............
Raise the draw bridge !!! Raise the draw bridge !!!!

laugh laugh laugh
You Three kchunts hadta fhuqking even plagiarize your Avatars! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Laughing!.............
'409,

PLEASE find me "mistaken",as I assure you the ATTEMPT,will be funnier than fhuqk. Until then,feel free to "flaunt" your Imagination and it's Pretend.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!............

You can copy and paste with the BEST of 'em, bro...………….
I just figured it out. Stinky is speaking Nancy Polosisky! F U C K Thats why nobody can understand the little muddle headed troll.
..........................................................cut along dotted line..............................................................
You Three kchunts hadta fhuqking even plagiarize your Avatars! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Laughing!.............

Oh !!!! We haven't seen Pigz Dik Post Variation #4 (the plagiarization schtick) in a day or two...……………...
'409,

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!............

You can copy and paste with the BEST of 'em, bro...………….

Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint. Congratulations?!?

But what else could a herd of Brokedick Window Lickers "do",but follow suit and plagiarize? Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..........
I just figured it out. Stinky is speaking Nancy Polosisky! F U C K Thats why nobody can understand the little muddle headed troll.
..........................................................cut along dotted line..............................................................
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Tame the Beast - 02/25/19
6mm,

At least Imagination and Pretend are free...so you can "afford" to contribute. Few things funnier,than a melting Snowflake's Heartfelt Whine! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart you poor poor(literally) "victim" you.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Tame the Beast - 02/25/19

What? Wait! Why? What did we do? oh hell it's only ignore, I have had a lot worst.
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/25/19
The cartridge on the right is a .375 RUM loaded with a 260 grain Nosler Partition 2900 fps from a 26" barrel. And it has 4856 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle.

[Linked Image]

The cartridge on the left is a .460 Wby and the bullet is a 500 grain Hornady DGX at 2300 fps. It has a 5874 ft.lbs of energy at the muzzle.

Other than something in a .50 Cal. the .460 Wby with a 500gr bullet would make any .30 Cal. look small in comparison.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

… 300 RUM …

Bullet - 200gr. NOS AB

Powder - 95gr. Retumbo

= Velocity - 3,000 fps

i get right at 3200fps with that load over the chrono. only load i shoot in my rum.

Thats a great Load designed for cartridges like the 300 RUM
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Tame the Beast - 02/25/19

[Linked Image]

Other than something in a .50 Cal. the .460 Wby with a 500gr bullet would make any .30 Cal. look small in comparison.

Yup. wink

[Linked Image]

Yup. wink

I think at that point all I could do is pull out my 'Old Muzzy' .50 Cal. and lob one downrange … cool

Attached picture Muzzy.png
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Tame the Beast - 02/26/19
That'll work.
Posted By: DX247 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/28/19
:-}

Attached picture muzzle-energy-of-various-firearm-cartridges.png
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Tame the Beast - 02/28/19
Yeah and?
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Tame the Beast - 02/28/19
Muzzle energy schmuzzle energy........
© 24hourcampfire