Home
I was wanting to know if anyone had shot one of these in this caliber? I know it is pretty hefty for a hunting rifle but mostly would be shot at targets.
I had one, it was heavy and with the wide forearm not something I would want to carry anywhere except from the truck to the firing line. with scope it was like 12 or 13 lbs. It was easy to get both 120 and 140 AMAX's to shoot well under an inch and my best load was 5 shots in the .5 range. Mine was bedded and the trigger touched up a bit. On windless days I could hit 300yd golf balls pretty well.
Thanks. I didn’t know if they just look “cool” or if they were shooters. I figured it would be pretty heavy. I am okay with that.
Mine in 243 Winch is the most accurate rifle I've owned. Great trigger. Without any modifications, it shot all my hand loads into 100 yard groups ranging from 3/8 inch to 7/8 inch. Without long range shooting opportunities nearby, it became boring to shoot at 100 yards so the rifle is now looking for a new home.
I assume the OP is talking about this new one from Ruger, not the varmint target model they’ve been making for years

https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeLRT/models.html

I haven’t seen any range reports on these posted on forums. I’d imagine they would shoot, but like you said too heavy for anything other than range use. For a dual purpose rifle I’d look at the Tikka CTR, or maybe Bergara HMR, (which you could drop into a Ridge stock or any Remington inlet hunting stock)

Another one I’ve found myself wondering about is the Remington 5R gen 2, which is available in 6.5cm now also
Yes that is the rifle I was talking about.
Cool, it has Ruger's centralized chamber... Bet they're dandy shooters. If a guy really really wanted CRF. A Hawkeye Predator would be good 'nough too.
I have the Hawkeye LRT in 6.5 PRC. It's a shooter....... The stock reminds me of a giant brown turd, sprinkled with coarse-ground black pepper. So I painted it.....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
. A Hawkeye Predator would be good 'nough too.

BOOM!.....

[Linked Image]
A guy could do worse than the American Pred, RPR or Hawkeye Pred in 6.5 creed.....

[Linked Image]
Nice looking rifles Hunts...., easy to see you like the Creed. MB
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Nice looking rifles Hunts...., easy to see you like the Creed. MB

And Ruger.
I put an order in for the Varmint Target instead. Still getting the 6.5 Creedmoor though.
Originally Posted by Chrisk1977
I put an order in for the Varmint Target instead. Still getting the 6.5 Creedmoor though.

If it don't wear AICS footprint DBM,run Forrest...RUNNnnnnnnnn.

Hint..............
No kidding..... The clunky, crude, POS stock on the VT sucks heavy azz. And NO 20 moa rail. And NO DBM. And not threaded...... Can't figger why anyone would go VT over the LRT, for ANY reason. But hey, it's your 'baby', abortion that it is. You can always dump it into a Hawkeye pred stock to get away from the clunkitude. And D&T a EGW rail on. And go Wyatt's dbm. Or just cut to the chase and toss it into a LSS and notch the AICS mags to fit.....
The $749.99 Gen2 RAPER's were/are alotta rifle,for the modest asking price.

Hell...they was even shipping for free.(grin)

Hint..................
Should be picking up the rifle on Friday or Saturday! Pretty excited.
My Ruger MKII VT .22-250 printed 4 shots in a 0.5" group. At 200 yards.

But Rugers can't shoot. Everyone knows that. smile
I picked my rifle up today
Let us know how it shoots. That's a pretty sweet looking rifle and it's chambered right too...
Yes, would like to hear how it performs
I shot three brands of ammo. All into three shot groups. I swabbed the barrel after each shot and let the barrel cool for five-10 minutes also.
The Remington Core-Lokts in 140 grain shot about 1.25” as did the Federal 140 grain SP’s. The Hornady 143 grain Eld-x bullets shot under an inch.
Not tiny groups I am pretty sure after I finish with breaking in the barrel and stop swabbing after every shot it will shoot some pretty small groups. Whether this truly help, I don’t know but it certainly won’t hurt anything.
The two stage trigger is something to get used to. The heft of the rifle tames the recoil that is for sure. Not that the 6.5 Creedmoor recoils that much anyway.
I did notice when chambering the Federal rounds that the bolt was a little stiff. This could work out after a few more firings? I didn’t notice this with the other rounds.
I have had my Ruger M77 Varmint/Target in 6.5 CM for almost two years now but have not had much time to work with the rifle. A couple of out of state hunting trips and reloading for my other rifles have gotten in the way. Mine is scoped with a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 and an attached bipod so, at just over 12 lbs, it is really heavy. It is way too heavy for an old man like me to lug around hunting, but I bought it to use strictly as a benchrest rifle.

I've only got about 40 rounds thru it for sight in and to break-in barrel and it is a pleasure to shoot. I did not notice any stiffness of the bolt on mine and I'm sure your's with loosen up with use. So far, I have to say I'm pretty happy with the rifle and expect it will really shine when I have more time to reload. Have fun with your new M77.
© 24hourcampfire