Home
Posted By: RIO7 Long Range Gun Range - 05/02/19
Been working on improving our gun range, and putting steel targets out to 1800 yards, had to remove about 300 yards of brush, and put up pipe target hangers, then we cut out some range numbers, that everyone could see, wind has been blowing to hard to shoot for the last 10 day's 30 mph with gusts to 45 mph, should be fun this winter with the disabled vets, they love shooting waaay out there. Rio7

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/02/19
At what point do you lose sight of the targets due to the Earth's curvature? laugh
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/02/19
That's an awesome range!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/02/19
Originally Posted by NVhntr
That's an awesome range!

Yep.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/02/19
Range is looking good. When you get the shooting tables and all, set up, post pics of it, if you dont mind. Have you got the pistol shed moved?
Posted By: Ringman Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/02/19
Originally Posted by Tyrone
At what point do you lose sight of the targets due to the Earth's curvature? laugh

Here's a rough formula:
square root of 1.5 times the height of your eyes. Result in miles.

Example:
6'4" man - eyes 6' from the ground
1.5 X 6 = 9
Square root of 9 = 3 miles
Posted By: pete53 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/02/19
that is one heck of a sweet range ! thanks for the pictures
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/02/19
Oldman3, we have the pistol range building ready to move, but haven't moved it yet,I have new location staked out and all most ready to pour the pad, I extended the building 1 more 16' bay, the shooting benchs are all built except for the tops, the wood for the wheel chair ramp and landing, benchs, and counter tops will be here in the morning, (It takes forever to get red wood in S,Texas )we finished painting the frame for the sun and wind screen today, I think it will take another month to finish everything.

When it's all finished I will post some pictures, this is a fun project. Rio7
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/03/19
That is mighty fine. I wish we had a range like that around here.
Posted By: BIGEYES Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/03/19
RIO, That's an air strip right?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/03/19
I wish I had a paved path to go paint gongs....
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/03/19
Bigeyes, Yes it's an old airstrip 1000 yrds long we have no use for so I made it in to a gun range, just finished adding 800 yards more to it, pavement is nice when it's wet and muddy everywhere else, Don, you have a damn nice gun range,and it doesen't need pavement. Rio7
Posted By: Higginez Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/03/19
Very nice.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/03/19
Bad thing is....having targets close to ground level makes for a helluva mirage problem and one of the things that will be encountered is in the late afternoon hours prior to sunset the upper air starts cooling down while the ground temp is still up and the targets will take on an OVAL appearance!

Ask me how I know!!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/03/19
Looks like a good spot for some great fun.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/03/19
Sharpsman, Every thing you say is true, and we know it, almost all of our shooting is done in the morning when it's cool and hopfully before the wind picks up, it's very hard to build the perfect gun range, in our case we work with what we have, we can't put the sun were we would like it to be, or get the wind to blow just a little bit, take another close look and you will see some of the steel is low some is high some is small some is large, we try to fix it so the people shooting on this range #1 are safe #2 have a good time #3 are successful, i'm not to worried about marige. Rio7

P.S. Thank you all for your comments.
Posted By: SKane Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/03/19
That is so cool. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/06/19
I take my mtn bike with to the range these days. I ride out to post, paint, or check targets 300 plus. Gets me back quicker so I'm not holding up the closer lane guys. Yours looks like you could just drive down. That'd be nice.

Bb
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/16/19
Got my shooting tables finished' Rio7

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wheel Chair Ramp Finished. Rio7

[Linked Image]

Observation Deck, Works Great with Bino's Or Spotting Scope. Rio7

[Linked Image]
Also built 2 new wood tables, to put ammo and everyone's junk on, and 2 new gun racks that each hold 14 guns, waiting on new chairs and over head cover, next step is sand the old red wood floor and refinish it's 15 yrs old and really needs it, should have everythng finished in about 2 weeks if we don't have a bunch more rain. Rio7
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/16/19
Originally Posted by RIO7
Sharpsman, Every thing you say is true, and we know it, almost all of our shooting is done in the morning when it's cool and hopfully before the wind picks up, it's very hard to build the perfect gun range, in our case we work with what we have, we can't put the sun were we would like it to be, or get the wind to blow just a little bit, take another close look and you will see some of the steel is low some is high some is small some is large, we try to fix it so the people shooting on this range #1 are safe #2 have a good time #3 are successful, i'm not to worried about marige. Rio7

P.S. Thank you all for your comments.

OUTSTANDING!

Possibly I missed the location! Where??
Sharpsman, On our ranch S.Texas. Rio7
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/16/19
Blue, ya got it lookin good!
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/17/19
Uber jealous !
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Long Range Gun Range - 05/22/19
Very nice!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 07/20/19
Still working on our gun range, I've got every thing done execpt putting up the wind flags and am still waiting on the chairs, it's working out real well for the few of us here on the ranch, it will get a hell of a work out in hunting season.

[Linked Image] 6 Shooting tables

[Linked Image] View from spotters chairs

[Linked Image] Blue pig at 1000y rds looking to 1800 yrds
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 07/20/19
Once the grass grows in and we can mow it , it will look a lot nicer. Rio7
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Long Range Gun Range - 07/20/19
Looks FANTASTIC,Blue!! smile
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Long Range Gun Range - 07/20/19
Awesome looking range!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 07/20/19
Blue, thanks for the pics. It really looks great!
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Long Range Gun Range - 07/21/19
Id sure like to shoot on either Rio's or Don's range.

Great job, both of you
Posted By: colodog Re: Long Range Gun Range - 07/21/19
The Vets y'all host will have a grand time wringing out their rifles before their hunt.

We'd love to see those pics in a few months as well!

Thanks!
Posted By: Coyote_Buster Re: Long Range Gun Range - 07/22/19
Awesome looking range Rio7! Sent you a pm with a question.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Long Range Gun Range - 07/23/19
Looks like a great place to hang a few of these.... smile

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...fm_bJ4wIVkq_sCh3kWQSlEAYYASABEgJKb_D_BwE

Maybe one of these too.

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Ring-Targets-Sasquatch-Silhouette/dp/B07GR95J1X
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 07/31/19
Standing Ovation...An awesome shooting range just got even better. Vets and all invited to shoot on your field are in for a great time.

๐Ÿ˜Ž
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Long Range Gun Range - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by Higbean

Nice targets.
Posted By: lastround Re: Long Range Gun Range - 08/19/19
A great looking range!
Posted By: Diablero Re: Long Range Gun Range - 10/26/19
Excellent read and pics, thanks.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Long Range Gun Range - 10/26/19
Lookinโ€™ good Billy Ray ๐Ÿ˜€
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 10/27/19
feeling good, Lewis.....
Posted By: rost495 Re: Long Range Gun Range - 10/27/19
Looks like I was to busy to comment in May I think... LOL. Was pretty busy with salmon fishing.

Anyway just a quick comment, if you want to be serious about the long shots and you want to do away with mirage just take a vehicle and park it off to the side and put light on the target. You don't need any other light than on the target. You can hide an ATV 50 yards from target, and be 1800 yards away in total dark.. Works very well. You can shoot at 1am if need be.

I did this in a bind in the summer if I was fighting a load issue and it was getting close to nationals and I HAD to fix a problem.....

Mirage is such a separate issue from wind and lots of folks don't understand that.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Long Range Gun Range - 11/04/19
With targets low to the ground mirage is gonna be a bitch....especially late in the evening when temps start changing!!
Posted By: Ready Re: Long Range Gun Range - 12/13/19
Originally Posted by Sharpsmann
Bad thing is....having targets close to ground level makes for a helluva mirage problem and one of the things that will be encountered is in the late afternoon hours prior to sunset the upper air starts cooling down while the ground temp is still up and the targets will take on an OVAL appearance!

Originally Posted by Sharpsman
With targets low to the ground mirage is gonna be a bitch....especially late in the evening when temps start changing!!

Groundhog day? Less than a month apart. Received a nice reply by way of explanation first time round, too.
Posted By: mibowhunter Re: Long Range Gun Range - 12/13/19
WOW ! That's very nice !
© 24hourcampfire