#3 Bartlein 5R chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor finished at 24”
McMillan Adjustable Game Scout in Desert Carbon Ambush
Triggertech Diamond
APA Bottom Metal
Bighorn 20 MOA rail
SWFA rings
Bushnell 3-12 LRTSi
Flush cups on left side.

Load development was easy. Wind was unusually calm so I decided to do it at 500. Not picky at all. Biggest group of the day was the 130gr Berger AR Hybrids at .632 MOA. Best was 42gr H4350 behind the Berger 140gr Elite Hunter. That went .498 MOA. Five 5-shot groups with 5 different loads averaged .555 MOA at 500 yards. Taking this one for Caribou in a couple of weeks.

John

[Linked Image]
Awesome rig! Chambering?
Edited to include chambering. 6.5 Creedmoor.

John
Posted By: Cinch Re: Another Beanland Masterpiece - 07/15/19
Very nice... I like it...
Nice rig John.... country looks in good shape too.

Good luck and looking forward to the pics from the hunt!
Originally Posted by joshf303
Nice rig John.... country looks in good shape too.

Good luck and looking forward to the pics from the hunt!

In great shape. I could run 50 head now but that won’t last long if the rain doesn’t keep coming.

John
Beautiful rifle - Jon sure does do good work! Is this your first Origin action? What are your thoughts so far? I've also been thinking of getting one and sending it to Jon for a build.

Anyway, congrats on the new rig & good luck on your hunt.
I’m really liking the Origin. Feeds great. Very slick and bolt lift is smooth. I’m a believer in the floating bolt head and I like the CRF. Also like that it ejects a little more horizontally than some. Probably the best action for the $ out there.

John
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I’m really liking the Origin. Feeds great. Very slick and bolt lift is smooth. I’m a believer in the floating bolt head and I like the CRF. Also like that it ejects a little more horizontally than some. Probably the best action for the $ out there.

John

Thank you John, I think I better get one then. I did have a chance to fondle one on a Proof rifle recently and thought it would be nice for a lighter weight hunting rig.

You have a fine rifle there built by the best.
Posted By: SKane Re: Another Beanland Masterpiece - 07/16/19
Great looking rifle, John.
I've pondered that action more than a time or two.
Posted By: GregW Re: Another Beanland Masterpiece - 07/16/19
Looks great John.....
Nice stick and sweet stock...Good luck bou hunting with it. 😎

I picked the best charge from my 500 yard load development and put 5 rounds on paper at 100 today to make sure I had a good zero. Wind was gusting hard and bench was really wobbly or it would have been better. Made a .1 adjustment and reset the zero indicator. Battery ran out on my chronograph so I made a guess on velocity and took it to 820 to use the velocity truing function on Ballistic AE. Group was 4.5” low at 820 so I put that in Ballistic AE and it determined true velocity was 2790. Fired one more group at 820 using 2790 velocity and it was centered on aiming point. I think we’re ready for Caribou.

John

[Linked Image]
Is that the 100 or 820 yard group? grin
Shoots as good as it looks...............
Bighorn Origin
#3 Bartlein 5R chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor finished at 24”
McMillan Adjustable Game Scout in Desert Carbon Ambush
Triggertech Diamond
APA Bottom Metal
Bighorn 20 MOA rail
SWFA rings
Bushnell 3-12 LRTSi
Flush cups on left side.

Load development was easy. Wind was unusually calm so I decided to do it at 500. Not picky at all. Biggest group of the day was the 130gr Berger AR Hybrids at .632 MOA. Best was 42gr H4350 behind the Berger 140gr Elite Hunter. That went .498 MOA. Five 5-shot groups with 5 different loads averaged .555 MOA at 500 yards. Taking this one for Caribou in a couple of weeks.

John

[Linked Image]

Sweet looking rig you got there! Curious what the weight comes in at sans the scope?
Haven’t weighed it. Much lighter than my M24 contoured rig though.😁

John
Nice rig. Jon is a great smith and excellent to work with.
That should make most people very happy.

It would have me from hello.
I very much like that rig! Well done! Good luck with the caribou.
Looks great! Jon does great work.
Great stuff!
Looks like it could get hung up in the brush if you took it for a walk
Originally Posted by mogwai

Walked with it for miles and miles on my Caribou hunt. Didn’t seem to be an issue...

John

[Linked Image]
Looks like you broke it in right........congrats on your caribou!
Hey,congrats on your hunt. Looks like you and your rifle had fun.
[Linked Image]6547 by .com/photos/61286670@N08/]Sharps Man, on [bleep]

Walked with it for miles and miles on my Caribou hunt. Didn’t seem to be an issue...

John

[Linked Image]

Nice picture. I don’t see much brush in it😄

John

[Linked Image]

Um, that's because, typically, these rifles are/were not really designed for lugging through the bush !

wink
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

John

[Linked Image]

Um, that's because, typically, these rifles are/were not really designed for lugging through the bush !

wink

That is interesting, I learn something new everyday! I never knew a rifle had to be specially designed to be lugged through the brush. I just thought that every rifle was capable of doing so. I guess I have been lucky and all my rifles that haven't been designed for it have just accomplished the task.

John

[Linked Image]

That’s because I didn’t shoot the ‘bou in the alders on the creek we had to cross to get up the mountain. I went through the alders, the rifle went with me without complaint.

The rifle is superb for what I use it for.

John
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

John

[Linked Image]

wink

That is interesting, I learn something new everyday! I never knew a rifle had to be specially designed to be lugged through the brush. I just thought that every rifle was capable of doing so. I guess I have been lucky and all my rifles that haven't been designed for it have just accomplished the task.

Ha, ha, my bad !

I read the title as "Beanfield" rifle !!

10lb er's, with 28" barrels, designed for long range from a shooting house

Sorry to all those, whose feelers I hurt.
That's an awesome rifle. My 6.5 creed I built 8 years ago has a 24"bart 8 twist and loves 140 berger huntings over H4350. IIRC I run 42g as well.

Bb
nice rig ,did you see alot of caribou where you hunted ?
My first Caribou hunt so I couldn’t say for sure what a lot is. Might have seen a couple of hundred animals over the four days we were out. Probably 1/2 of those were in two groups of about 50ish each that were up the valley a few miles. The rest were in smaller bands of 2-3, up to a dozen animals.

John
Jon don't build junk!
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Jon don't build junk!

This one is my second build by Jon and I have to agree with you. Not only does he NOT build junk, he builds some of the best rifles available.... anywhere...

John
Does the origin have the extractor in the lug instead of m16 or sako style? The thing I don't like about most customs is the ejection angle of the m16 style extractors.

I like the flatter ejection like a standard 700. Too many scopes have too big of windage knobs. I like to mount my scopes as low as I can. I had to take a corner off of my predator and tac 30 aw extractors.

I'll have to look at an origin. I'd like to set one up remage or savage nut style. Maybe I'll go that route for my 22 creedmoor.

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Does the origin have the extractor in the lug instead of m16 or sako style? The thing I don't like about most customs is the ejection angle of the m16 style extractors.

I like the flatter ejection like a standard 700. Too many scopes have too big of windage knobs. I like to mount my scopes as low as I can. I had to take a corner off of my predator and tac 30 aw extractors.

I'll have to look at an origin. I'd like to set one up remage or savage nut style. Maybe I'll go that route for my 22 creedmoor.

Bb

The Origin has about as horizontal ejection as it gets. I believe the other CRF Bighorns are the same.

John

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice, and a blade ejector too. Can the floating bolt head be changed from standard to magnum or vice versa?

What are the threads?

Thanks,
Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Nice, and a blade ejector too. Can the floating bolt head be changed from standard to magnum or vice versa?

What are the threads?

Thanks,
Bb

Yes, magnum, standard, .223, and maybe others. Best to ask Bighorn if you need to know about the others.

John
Beautiful rifle and congrats on the caribou.
© 24hourcampfire