Home
Posted By: 4th_point "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/01/19
Just saw that the 700 AAC can be purchased online for under $500. As low as $468, with a quick search. Plus there is a $50 rebate.

It has a 22" heavy barrel, threaded muzzle. MPN is 84204, model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD.

I know the current trend is to buy a T3, and be done. But for those that like to tinker or customize, this could be a low cost way to get started for a little over $400.

Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/01/19
Mine is no longer stock, nor low cost now. But it shoots well.

10 shots at 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Kaleb Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/01/19
That’s a cool setup.

Is that a greyboe stock? Thoughts?
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/01/19
Kaleb,

The stock is a McMillan Rem Hunter in carbon/graphite. I previously had the rifle in a Grayboe Renegade, which was pretty nice but the graphite Hunter took 2 lbs off the total weight. Probably more once you figure in bottom metal but I'm using the factory BDL bottom metal, and not a M5 DBM. A plus or minus, depending on how you look at it.

I also had the Grayboe Terrain for another rifle, which has awesome ergonomics. And the standard flushcups were a nice touch. The foreend of the stock, however, was a noodle. I wish the Terrain was stiffer, as I really liked it offhand and prone.

I've also owned a couple of the Grayboe Outlanders, and like those too. Grayboes are heavy, but solid stocks. Not as stiff as a McMillan, but depending on use/needs they can be fine.

Jason

Posted By: Higginez Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/02/19
Sweet rifle 4th Point!
Posted By: ERK Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/02/19
Just a question 4 point. Did you shoot it pure stock to see how well it shot. Just curious how well it did and if a different stock made it shoot better. Ed k
Posted By: sbhooper Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/02/19
I bought a Rem 700, .243 off of the classifieds, for $300 shipped and a Criterion Remage Creed barrel, also off the classifieds for $275. I now have a sweet semi-custom Creed and have less than $600 in it. It helps to have a buddy that is a great barrel installer.
Posted By: JPro Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/02/19
A guy can find a B&C take-off VS handle for around $200 if he's willing to look. That's not too shabby of a rifle for a little over $600.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/03/19
Originally Posted by ERK
Just a question 4 point. Did you shoot it pure stock to see how well it shot. Just curious how well it did and if a different stock made it shoot better. Ed k

I have not shot it with the factory Hogue stock, but may do that for fun as I've wondered the same.

I did have it in a Grayboe Renegade awhile back.

Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/03/19
Originally Posted by Higbean
Sweet rifle 4th Point!

Thanks Hig. I got that stock 9 months ago, and just tried it for the first time the other day. Only 100 rounds through that rifle. Been dorking with compound bows too much lately!

I tried the DBC for the first time too. So far, I'm impressed.

Jason
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/15/19
I took the LRTSi off, and am hoping someone steals it from me as I don't have a use for it. I still love the MQ reticle best, and put a 6x on it with Seekins high rings. Cheekweld is better that what I had going on with the Bushnell using lows.

Did a rough zero, then shot at 500 and 600 with the LRX. Very forgiving setup in terms of recoil, parallax, and being able to spot shots through the scope.

Posted By: viking Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/16/19
And the trigger?
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I took the LRTSi off, and am hoping someone steals it from me as I don't have a use for it. I still love the MQ reticle best, and put a 6x on it with Seekins high rings. Cheekweld is better that what I had going on with the Bushnell using lows.

Did a rough zero, then shot at 500 and 600 with the LRX. Very forgiving setup in terms of recoil, parallax, and being able to spot shots through the scope.

Nice rifle 4th point, I like the looks of that setup a lot.

But why would you go from low rings to high when switching from a 42mm belled bushnell to a 42mm belled SWFa? Are you sure those are high rings? I’ve never needed more than seekins lows with any 40-44mm scope I’ve tried is why I ask..
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/17/19
Originally Posted by viking
And the trigger?

Timney
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/17/19
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

Nice rifle 4th point, I like the looks of that setup a lot.

But why would you go from low rings to high when switching from a 42mm belled bushnell to a 42mm belled SWFa? Are you sure those are high rings? I’ve never needed more than seekins lows with any 40-44mm scope I’ve tried is why I ask..

I had Seekins low rings with the LRTSi, and it was finicky with eye position. The scope isn't the most forgiving in that regard, but the low rings were the problem. In the end, I knew that I didn't want the LRTSi on that rifle, and tried the SWFA 6x with low, medium, and high rings. The Seekins high rings worked best for me, with the Monte Carlo.

I really like how it turned out. The carbon/graphite stock and heavy barrel are a better combo than I would have imagined. Balance is really good, and it feels lighter than it is. I need to shoot it from my pack and improvised field positions next.
Posted By: cast10K Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/17/19
Desert Transition Camo on that Hunter?
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 12/18/19
Originally Posted by cast10K
Desert Transition Camo on that Hunter?

That is correct.

J
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 03/07/20
UPDATE

Sold the LRTSi and bought an HDMR from Doug. The 6x MQ went on another rifle.

Also had some issues with the Timney, so I reinstalled the factory trigger. Unfortunately, it's sitting at 4 lbs. and won't go lower without some work. Will probably upgrade to a TriggerTech in the future.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: 260Remguy Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 03/07/20
Nice looking rifle!

I bought a 6.5 CM in a 700 ADL Varmint on a BPS/Cabels's sale back on 06/18 that has been sitting on a shelf, maybe a Remington Hunter style stock wold be just the thing to get it out of the box and out to the range.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 03/07/20
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I bought a 6.5 CM in a 700 ADL Varmint on a BPS/Cabels's sale back on 06/18 that has been sitting on a shelf, maybe a Remington Hunter style stock wold be just the thing to get it out of the box and out to the range.

Let us know how it shoots, 260Rem. Those rifles seem like a screaming deal. I believe they go on sale for $350, a few times per year?

I really like the Rem Hunter. Mine is the Edge carbon/graphite version and I wasn't sure how the completed rifle would handle with such a light stock. I'm glad to say that the handling/balance is actually great. Overall weight feels lighter than it is.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 09/30/20
Update...

Put the factory barreled action in an MC3 for fun. And with a TriggerTech at 2 lbs. Shooting the same factory 147 ELD Match ammo.

The 10-shot group was fired at 100 yards and measures ~0.640. Cheap rifle, cheap stock, factory ammo.

Update...

Put the factory barreled action in an MC3 for fun. And with a TriggerTech at 2 lbs. Shooting the same factory 147 ELD Match ammo.

The 10-shot group was fired at 100 yards and measures ~0.640. Cheap rifle, cheap stock, factory ammo.

Sell me that rifle...
Posted By: hanco Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/01/20
Looks real nice!!!
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Sell me that rifle...

Everything is for sale grin But, I don't think this rifle is anything special. You could just buy an ADL varmint for $430, or wait for a deal on the AAC. Looks like the MC3 deals are gone with DBM, but there might be some BDL versions left.

I might sell the McMillan Remington Hunter stock, as this rifle will stay in the MC3 as a dedicated target rifle. The MC3 is nowhere near as stiff as the Rem Hunter, but I put a 9-13" Harris on the rifle and shot at 954 yards without any issues.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/01/20
Gee, just don't see many Leupold scope anymore.
Posted By: cast10K Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/01/20
Just curious, why the swap from LRTSi to HDMR? Is the HDMR Bushnell's direct successor to the LRTSi?
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by cast10K
Just curious, why the swap from LRTSi to HDMR? Is the HDMR Bushnell's direct successor to the LRTSi?

Just personal preference.

I don't care for the G3 reticle in the LRTSi and LRTS. Nothing wrong with it functionally, though. I had the LRTSi 4.5-18x and LRTS 3-12x, but don't own either now.

The HDMR II obviously has the Horus H59, which I really like, but many people hate. I like the clear view above the horizontal crosshair, and I use the grid out to 600 yards. I also like the 0.2 mil spacing for wind holds. The standard DMR II and DMR II PRO have the the G3.

I don't know what the deal is with Bushnell and the LRTS scopes. It seems like they discontinued the 3-12x awhile back, but still had the 4.5-18x. Now the 4.5-18x is no longer shown on their website. I think both were originally released as the LRHS for hunting, with input from George Gardner and Pat Sinclair. Then those got discontinued, and Bushnell sold them as tactical scopes without the donut-of-death.

The HDMR/DMR II (6x ratio) scopes are the latest versions of the old DMR scopes and are unrelated to the LRHS/LRTS (4x ratio) scopes as far as I know. As I understand it, the old DMR scopes were designed and made for military applications. Tom Fuller (Armageddon Gear) was leading that activity, for Bushnell, after his career in the military. He got input from various units, and fed that info to Bushnell. From what I have been told, the DMR has been used all around the world and guys would still trust their lives to it. Same with the DMR II, but the latest I've heard through the grapevine is that Bushnell has been slipping lately but I haven't gotten any details.

My buddy is friends with a bunch of guys that have used these scopes on operations, and I asked about the LRHS/LRTS. Those seem to be totally off of their radar for some reason. I don't know why. Maybe OAL length? I don't think so, as the 3-12x is pretty short. Maybe 4x zoom isn't enough, or 12x is too low? NV issues? Maybe the reps just don't push those scopes. I don't know, but for whatever reason they love the DMR and DMR II, even though they also use Nightforce and Tangent Thetas.

The DMR II is an improved version of the DMR, but optically I don't think it is as good as the LRTS. The DMR II PRO is supposed to be better, but I don't have one. The G3 is a deal breaker for me though. It hurts my eye!

Was just comparing my HDMR II to a 5-25 ATACR and 5-25 T5Xi. The HDMR is good enough to aim, but the view through the ATACR is really nice!

Posted By: TheBigSky Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/02/20
4th_point, you've used that particular barreled action like a red-headed step child. I've really enjoyed following your thread and the various configurations you've utilized and tested. I could enjoy more threads like this. Well done my friend.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/02/20
No problem, thanks for the feedback.

I should probably consolidate everything into one new thread, showing all the different configurations. I still need to shoot it with the factory Hogue stock. That would total four stocks, including the Grayboe, McMillan, and the MC3. Three different triggers, and three different scopes.

I feel pretty confident that it is an honest 1-MOA rifle, no matter the configuration tried so far. And I am by no means a great shooter.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/14/20
I tried some other factory ammo last week. The 140 ELD-M, 143 ELD-X, and Federal 130 Berger. All donated by a friend. They all essentially went to the same POI as the 147 ELD-M that I typically shoot. I didn't change the scope zero. .

First image below is the Fed 130 Berger. Five shots at 100 yards. I'm guessing the flier was probably me. Second image is the 143 ELD-X, same number of rounds and distance. It measures ~0.6".

Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/14/20
Also shot out to 1360 yards with the 147 ELD-M using a Harris bipod. The ES is pretty big for that distance, and the prediction from my app was off for the first shot. Elevation was 2-mils low, but with perfect windage. I saw the impact, and added the 2-mils of elevation. Impact! Cheap fun.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/14/20
Nice! Fun isn't it?
Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/29/20
Definitely a lot of fun, especially not having to deal with handloads!

I sold the MC3, so the barreled action is back in the McMillan Rem Hunter. Still using the HDMR and factory 147 ELD.

Also, just put a PVA Jet Blast UL on it, and shot it for the first time yesterday with 6-9" Harris.

I was able to shoot out to 1150+ yards, on a sheer rockface, with pretty good results using the Harris and Jet Blast. I typically don't use a bipod, but am enjoying it quite a bit lately. Did surprisingly well with a tripod, and bag on top, as well. No images, and I need to find a way to take videos grin

I can't complain, as I paid $600 for the rifle and am shooting factory ammo. Not counting the stock, of course. However, the Grayboe and MC3 shot just as well, if not easier due to the extra weight. And they cost considerably less. It does have a TT Primary as well.

Posted By: 4th_point Re: "Cheap" 700 Creedmoor - 10/30/20
Also shot out to 1360 yards with the 147 ELD-M using a Harris bipod. The ES is pretty big for that distance, and the prediction from my app was off for the first shot. Elevation was 2-mils low, but with perfect windage. I saw the impact, and added the 2-mils of elevation. Impact! Cheap fun.

Update - The prediction from that app was jacked up. With AB, JBM, and 4DOF, the impacts observed seem to jive with the predicted values. I need to spend more time getting shots on steel or paper to see the vertical dispersion and distribution. More velocity data as well.
© 24hourcampfire