Home
I’m a Sako guy but lately I’m been thinking about trying a Mark V action....

Anyone built one that can share their experience?
They are both good, boils down to the one you like best!
Before you spend your $$ on a Sako 85 due a google search on "Sako ejection problems". A lot of folks are having problems which seem to be worse with the long actions. A buddy of mine had a Finnlight in 7mm Rem. mag. that would eject empty cases straight up into the scope which would then fall into the action and jam the gun.. He wound up sending the rifle down the road.
i just built a 338 Lapua with a Weatherby Mark 5 action works great used a Brux barrel
Labman -

I changed my ejector springs out with the stronger springs, and removed the bur from the claw on my Long action and the problem went completely away - frankly it would only do it a few times out of 20 anyway...

There is always that one guy who bought a used one and wants to get the full refund from Sako... meaning, I haven’t seen one that the spring, and claw work won’t fix the issue yet.
Right now I’ve skinned down 2 one short, and one long action Sako 85.. 260 rem & 280 AI respectively... both in McEdge stocks.

I haven’t run a Weatherby Mark V yet - so I asked.
I think the cooper is also a threelug....
I forgot about coopers... I did have a model 52...

Good actions, a bit heavy, but the magazine COAL was on the short side.... I like my 85’s better.

The only reason I started looking at the Mark 5 is they are super strong... they tested them up to and beyond 70,000 ... which is impressive.
Can I throw Browning X-bolt into the mix?
With "Best Three Lug", you didn't mention price.

No longer made, but the Champlin & Haskins was a pretty decent three lug. Here's a 7RM built by Lenard Brownell.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Talking about old, The Klienguenther K14 is fantastic.
I like the Mark 5 a lot. It's my favorite factory action to build on but they have some differences to work with that no other action has to be accounted for. Meaning you can't just fit the barrel like a Rem 700 and expect it to feed. Everything you need comes with them. No need for aftermarket parts. The factory trigger is awesome.
Originally Posted by Labman95
Before you spend your $$ on a Sako 85 due a google search on "Sako ejection problems". A lot of folks are having problems which seem to be worse with the long actions. A buddy of mine had a Finnlight in 7mm Rem. mag. that would eject empty cases straight up into the scope which would then fall into the action and jam the gun.. He wound up sending the rifle down the road.

An urban legend that won't go away. I've had 3 Sako long actions and never had any ejection issues, whatsoever.
I really like my Sako 75 action. Between it and the Cooper, the Copper just never felt as smooth and svelte. Just my $.02.
Only one in my safe is a Voere Shikar 30-06 and it works just fine.
Originally Posted by sidepass

How old is your Voere?
Sako 75 and don't look back if you plan on building a custom. It is smoother, has a better trigger and lighter then the Mark V action. I have 3 Mark V's and have owned a dozen or more Sako 75's among other Sakos.
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by sidepass

How old is your Voere?

Seems to me Dad bought it used in 67 -68, I was about 13.
Can't like the Sako due to the scope mount system.

Between that and the ejection problem, I couldn't get rid of my last 85 fast enough.

No more Sako 85's for me, and even if they moved the ejector to a normal position to eliminate ejection issues, I'd still have to think long and hard about one due to the scope mount limitations.

And of course, there is always the fear of needing to contact Beretta customer service.

Count me out.
Fierce actions appear to correct the scope mount issues, not sure on the rest.

As for other three lug, Gap has one too.
Is the 3 lug Mark V a new design? grin
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Fierce actions appear to correct the scope mount issues, not sure on the rest.

As for other three lug, Gap has one too.

Fierce is an exact copy of a Sako 85 without the integral lug
I shot my friend's Fierce. It was as slick as any two lug rifle I've fired. I was impressed enough that I had to look it up. Three lugs with less mechanical advantage aren't supposed to be so smooth!

It doesn’t seem Fierce sells the Action alone...

I have the Same problem with Weatherby smile

Sako 75 actions are too bloody heavy.
https://www.terminusactions.com/actions/

These will be the best custom 3 lug action you will find. Don't know how much you want to spend as they are not cheap.
Guess I hadn't heard of Terminus. Good selection of lefty options too.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

How much difference in weight between a 75 and 85 bare action?
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

How much difference in weight between a 75 and 85 bare action?

I dunno about the action alone, but I have a 75 Hunter that weighs 0.3 ounce more than an 85 Hunter.
Fierce.....
owned (4x) MK V rifles and never had a problem, knew others that also had a number of them at the same time,
with no problems.

For those on a tight budget, Mauser M18 tri-lug , looks like value at around ($400) street price.
they have proven accurate in tests and only about 6 -1/4 lbs

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/30/shot-2018-mauser-m18-bolt-acton-rifle/

I have 5 Mark V and 2 Sako 85's. Really like them both but I think the 85 is smoother on average. The safety on the 85 is better but kind of complex and I'm not certain where you hunt but snow and ice could be a problem with the little bolt release. The Weatherby safety's are not prone to much trouble pretty plain jane actually and you have to go off safe to unload which I don't think is the best feature. Sako's trigger is a bit better that Weatherby's on average through my collection which is all prior to the move to Sheridan. I think if I were building short action the 85 is pretty darn good and I've never heard of any problem with the 85S.

Sometimes the bolt on the Mark V action can ride on the bolt stop too high which makes it a little rough but smooths out over time or can be repaired. As has been said the Mark V action is a tank the 85 more finesse and I would say lighter. I think there's only 3 Mark V actions there might be 4 while Sako has 6 which may limit your cartridge choices with the action you decide on. The only thing that really changes with the Mark V long or short actions is the bolt slot. I don't think Weatherby has ever made a short action magnum which Sako does.

I don't think all gunsmiths are created equal with your 2 action choices they are both excellent though.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
© 24hourcampfire