Home
Looks like the 27 Nosler is for real. Any thoughts?
Be prepared for a lot of talk regarding the definition of caliber and cartridge...
More interested in the .277 165gn ABLR that's coming out with it.
Originally Posted by pointer
Be prepared for a lot of talk regarding the definition of caliber and cartridge...

laugh
Could throw “chambering” into the mix if you really want to stir ...
Excuse me, cartridge.

Thank you
Originally Posted by horse1

It will have a claimed BC of .7 and end up .545. grin
I may be impartial, but my go-to gun is any of the three .277 that I have. I would like to see different options on barrel length and twist being offered in this caliber. I have 1:10 twist with 24'' tube, I have loaded a box of 160 gr. Partitions that I haven't had a chance to use as of yet. Will they stabilize? I don't know, usually shooting 140"s with good results. Never killed any game with these over 200 yards, but flattened all within this range. A lot, more powder in the 27 Nosler I can assume.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Ain't that the truth!
.27 Nosler chambered rifles from Nosler are 1:8.5.

My Kimber MT has a 1:8 Lilja.
Nosler hasn't published any material on the said, 165 long range bullet. Berger will not be far behind, along with other manufacturers. I haven't been this excited sense my prom night.
Posted By: 805 Re: Nosler Releasing new Caliber - 01/22/20
Berger already has a 170gr EOL in 277. Will be an awesome bullet in the 27Nosler.
We really needed this. Something about that extra .007" never sat quite right with me.
Originally Posted by cast10K
We really needed this. Something about that extra .007" never sat quite right with me.

laugh
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Darn! I was hoping for a .29 bore! laugh
Should be as popular as a 25 Creedmoor!
Originally Posted by Higbean
Should be as popular as a 25 Creedmoor!

You just made me laugh, HA!
Posted By: Dre Re: Nosler Releasing new Caliber - 01/22/20
270 win - Gay
270 Wsm - power bottom
27 nosler - Tranny
Lol
Joking, I love my 270. But I just don’t see the point unless You just have to be that guy.
Super gay.
Originally Posted by cast10K

Something about that .007" REDUCTION never seemed right to ME!!!!

smile
Posted By: NTG Re: Nosler Releasing new Caliber - 01/22/20
It's funny, ironic that .277 is closer to 7mm than popular 7 mags. And yet the 275 Rigby is probably the most accurately named cartridge of the bunch!
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Calvin

Ain't that the truth!

Yep Nosler has caught hell for that. They have updated the B.C.'s of the LRAB recently, claiming they are using Doppler now. Also Brian Litz wrote that in the correct twist barrel the original B.C.'s weren't that far off and several were spot on. The 270 ,150LRAB suffered the worst due to the 1/10 twist.
Built a 1/9 or 1/8 twist 270 and it will be a long range contender with the 150 LRAB or the Berger 170

Dang it. I was hoping they'd fill the void between 6.5 and 7.

+1

John
Originally Posted by viking
Super gay.

I know a fellow shooter that calls his 6.5 a gaymoor and his 6 a SuperGaymoor, buy this logic a .277 would be less than gay.......perhaps bi ???? wink
Just neck a 308 Win down to .277 and you call it a 27-08 and you have a good round. Also, a 25-08 would be cool and easy to reload if we ever get in a reloading pinch like we did 10 yrs ago. I was very low on brass back then but I could still go to the shooting range and find once fired .308 cases. The last thing we need is another caliber unless it can be reloaded from polar cases like the 30-06 , 308 ETC.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Nosler Releasing new Caliber - 01/25/20
I haven't been this excited sense my prom night.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Again.
Originally Posted by ihookem
Just neck a 308 Win down to .277 and you call it a 27-08 and you have a good round. Also, a 25-08 would be cool and easy to reload if we ever get in a reloading pinch like we did 10 yrs ago. I was very low on brass back then but I could still go to the shooting range and find once fired .308 cases. The last thing we need is another caliber unless it can be reloaded from polar cases like the 30-06 , 308 ETC.

Isn't the 25-08 the 25 Souper?
Originally Posted by cwh2

Again.

Lol
This is so awesome! The entire industry is going to be turned on its ear due to advances in rifle cartridgery....

Said no one ever....
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Yup. Fun cartridge.
Posted By: CRS Re: Nosler Releasing new Caliber - 01/26/20
Just neck a 308 Win down to .277 and you call it a 27-08 and you have a good round.

I was going to go that route once, but could not even looney justify it with the 7mm-08 out there.
I didn't know there was a 25 souped. Or if we want to get crazy , a 24-06?

Yes. I built one 30+ years ago. Just not sure it has much over the 243. Maybe better barrel life........
I'm not getting into any .270 pissing contest. I have one and have had it longer than anything I've got. Bought it when I was 18 years old in 1966 between my Junior and Senior years in high school. I've killed a lot of deer with it. It's my go to rifle. I have a lot of different rifles chambered in everything from .223 Remington to 9.3x62. and yes one of them is a .30-06. I love them both, they both have a place in my heart and in my deer blind. But I'm interested in the Nosler.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Yes. I built one 30+ years ago. Just not sure it has much over the 243. Maybe better barrel life........

Longer heavier higher BC bullets for starters. That's a fine round.
Meh...I drove the 26 Nosler short bus for a year. Overbore was exciting....Eye Roll. Sold it a couple weeks ago.

270 Win for good ol Americana hunting, and 270 WSM for racing. Been there-done that.

Go 28 Nosler if you want to play long with high BC boolits that are aplenty....

I will probably buy one. LMAO 😆

😎
Posted By: CRS Re: Nosler Releasing new Caliber - 01/26/20
I have used a 270 Win since 1980? has served me very well. I own stuff from 222 all the way to 416. I like them all.

Like stated above, I thought about a 270-08 at one time, but with a 7mm-08 already out could not justify.
6.8 SPC same thing, I can easily load my 270 down. Have done that and successfully taken more than a few critters.
270 WSM, could not justify over the small gain in velocity.
270 Weatherby, I am simply not blingy enough.

Now a 27 Nosler appeals to me for some reason. Serious velocity gains, and right twist.

Is it overbore? Absolutely. Will it burn barrels? yes. Does it burn a lot of powder, of course.

Will it give 270 looney's a place at the table? you bet.
Posted By: RinB Re: Nosler Releasing new Caliber - 01/26/20

Check out my post in Ask the Gunwriters re: 277-06.
I am buying one.

It just looks sexy.

It's a 270.

I want one.
Posted By: CRS Re: Nosler Releasing new Caliber - 01/27/20
How fast would this push a 110gr TTSX? 4000 fps?
Originally Posted by smokepole

Dang it. I was hoping they'd fill the void between 6.5 and 7.

Bwwwwaaaaaaaaa THIS smile
I think we all knew that Nosler at some point would intro a 27 Nosler. And why not do so....

Alot of 270 fans out there that may want more oooooomph than the 'ol tried and true 270 Win, who may not necessarily wish to go up to the expense of a MK5 Weatherby rifle chambered in the 270 Bee Magnum. Assuming of course that future rifles chambered in the 27 Nosler are cheaper than the MK5s.

The 27 Nosler will fill a marketing niche between the 26 and 28. For 270 fans who prefer beltless cases, the 27 Nosler just might be their huckleberry.

I hope that it is very successful.
Built a 1/9 or 1/8 twist 270 and it will be a long range contender with the 150 LRAB or the Berger 170[/quote]

That's no biggy. A custom barrel maker will make you any twist within reason you want. I've had one barrel custom made for a 25 cal. and it was no big deal. When you order the barrel you request the twist rate, length and contour you wish. It costs about $100 more than their standard if they normally don't make them in that particular configuration. It may not happen as quick as their more standard configurations but it won't usually take more than a month or two longer.
I once had a Krieger barrel made for my proposed rebarrel of a Howa 1500 .22-250 to .250 Savage. I wanted a good bolt rifle chambered for that cartridge. I also wanted to shoot heavier bullets in it and to insure it would stabilize these longer bullets. So I did the research and found that the .250 would need at least a 1:9 twist rate to stabilize 115-120 grain bullets, which I wanted to shoot in it(I did more research and found this not to be so, that people shoot 120 grain Spitzers in .250 Savages a lot and they stabilize, but what the hell, if I want to shoot a 125 grain if I can find one, it should work). When I ordered the barrel I requested a 1:9 twist. It took two more months to get what I wanted and cost me $325. Remember this was almost 10 years ago in the spring of 2010. So now it would probably be scaring a $500 bill to death. You want a 1:8.5 twist .277 barrel you can get it. Just a little more money and a little more time.
Something else to consider, Matrix already makes tighter twist .277 barrels for long range hunting. Now we just need someone to make some 170-175 grain match bullets.

Somebody's already done it.
I want to build me a long range .270 on a .270 Winchester Short Mag. with a tighter twist barrel which is around 28" Long. I guess I could just get one of these 27 Noslers but I don't want that big of a case. I like the Winchester Short Mag. case. But I'm happy Nosler is coming out with this and believe this will cause bullet makers to make some long range Heavy Hi BC hunting AND Target bullets. It's high time this happened because even with the haters and jokers, the .270 Winchester is still more popular among hunters than the true 7mms. This will bring it out of the closet with competition shooters.
Originally Posted by Filaman
I want to build me a long range .270 on a .270 Winchester Short Mag. with a tighter twist barrel which is around 28" Long. I guess I could just get one of these 27 Noslers but I don't want that big of a case. I like the Winchester Short Mag. case. But I'm happy Nosler is coming out with this and believe this will cause bullet makers to make some long range Heavy Hi BC hunting AND Target bullets. It's high time this happened because even with the haters and jokers, the .270 Winchester is still more popular among hunters than the true 7mms. This will bring it out of the closet with competition shooters.

I would like to have a new barrel made for one of the rifles I have in 270. 24'' with 1:8.5 twist or even 1:9, not sure if the twist would work but I believe the ammo and bullets will change for the 270 line-ups. Just a matter of time. 27 Nosler is going to create a reboot of the 270, no doubt.

Why not a 7mm wsm?

The only issue is that the million .270 rifles out there already aren't twisted correctly for the long heavies. That's the only reason I can think off as to why it hasn't happened yet.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Why not a 7mm wsm?

The only issue is that the million .270 rifles out there already aren't twisted correctly for the long heavies. That's the only reason is I can think off as to why it hasn't happened yet.

Why not a 7mm WSM? Because the .270 is the whole point I'm wanting to make which is, the only thing holding the old .270 Win. back is a lack of tight twist barrels and good long range heavy high BC bullets. There's already a truck load of 6.5 and 7MM long range rifles. But like I always say, there's nothing magical about 6.5s or 7s and there's nothing basically flawed with the .270. The 6.5s have been blessed with both the right barrels and the right bullets and the .270 Winchester has been held back in this respect. It never was viewed as a target round and bullets have been limited to what works well on medium and larger game at traditional ranges out to 400 maybe 500 yards, such as 130s, 140s, and 150s, lauched out of 22-24 inch barrels at velocities of 2800-3000 FPS, which have really taken care of most of what it was intended for.

And make sure you place it in the front shoulder.

Caliber is not important as long as you hit them in the front shoulder.
I'm looking forward to reading more about it!!

Mike
The 27 LGBTQ
Yes a "winter release" is good for more theories and dust-ups. Should invest in popcorn seed too.
Originally Posted by 16bore
This is so awesome! The entire industry is going to be turned on its ear due to advances in rifle cartridgery....

Said no one ever....

So true! It's a free country (unless Bernie slithers his way into the oval office, of course), and anyone can produce and/or buy whatever they want, but sometimes I wonder how many fewer animals would've hit the dirt if no new cartridges/chamberings had been invented since 1960. I'm guessing somewhere between four and five. smile
The NEW 27 Nosler....Yawn.
Posted By: SKane Re: Nosler Releasing new Caliber - 03/01/20
I generally advocate for the "seat-for-every-@ss" rationale but.......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
maybe these gun manufactures can quit bringing out new cartridges that won`t make it,instead take the wasted money and build a nice looking hunting rifle at a cheaper price ? 27 caliber ? its a loser too late.>> if i finally win a nice rifle in a gun raffle i sure hope its a normal cartridge not one of these new cartridges that won`t make it ?
Posted By: GregW Re: Nosler Releasing new Caliber - 03/01/20
You tell 'em Pete...

Only illiterates are opposed to literacy.
Originally Posted by cwh2

Again.

Lol

X2
Originally Posted by montanabadger

Caliber is not important as long as you hit them in the front shoulder.

The front shoulder roast is one of favorite cuts from the knuckle to the knee. As fine a eating as it gets needless to say but I try to put my bullets thru the ribs behind the shoulders, or behind the ribs angling forward or in front of the shoulder angling back missing the far shoulder. Lot of lethal spots to run your bullet without f**king your eating. You new at this? MB
LRAB's have worked for me so far quite well in a couple of calibers. Red Stag and a Mule deer buck.
I'm sure it will work good with this.
Nosler has done a better job with their BC's compared to the past.
Will I get one? No
Other than a bullet that performs well, it doesn't matter if the bore size is a tad smaller or a tad larger.
If the weapon is built good enough to keep it in the vitals at your max distance from field positions, it's the shooter that makes the difference.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Darn! I was hoping for a .29 bore! laugh

I was hoping nobody would notice and we could all just let the .277s progress into the 21st Century. Why would anybody get pissed over a 90 year old chambering over .007" of diameter? That's worse than childish, that's retarded.
Just neck a 308 Win down to .277 and you call it a 27-08 and you have a good round. Also, a 25-08 would be cool and easy to reload if we ever get in 89a reloading pinch like we did 10 yrs ago. I was very low on brass back then but I could still go to the shooting range and find once fired .308 cases. The last thing we need is another caliber unless it can be reloaded from polar cases like the 30-06 , 308 ETC.

il

Maybe better bullet selection. With the Souper you're up there with the .257 Bob. Think 115-120 grain bullets and high BC. Just puy on a barrel with a 1:9 twist rate to make sure of stabilization.
Just neck a 308 Win down to .277 and you call it a 27-08 and you have a good round. Also, a 25-08 would be cool and easy to reload if we ever get in 89a reloading pinch like we did 10 yrs ago. I was very low on brass back then but I could still go to the shooting range and find once fired .308 cases. The last thing we need is another caliber unless it can be reloaded from polar cases like the 30-06 , 308 ETC.

il

Maybe better bullet selection. With the Souper you're up there with the .257 Bob. Think 115-120 grain bullets and high BC. Just puy on a barrel with a 1:9 twist rate to make sure of stabilization.

FlamingIDIOT,

Do "tell",as per your version(s) of "knowledge","experience" and "results",what the BIG "transition" from 1-10" to 9" in .257",will "get" you with 115-120's and be SURE to cite the boolit(s) you are Pretending about...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. LAUGHING!

Quarterbores have DISMAL selection,as compared to 6mm's,if only for starters. Hell...the 25 cain't even keep pace with 224's.Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

NOTHING is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan TRYING to "talk" rifles! Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for your inside look at Retardation,through your crossed-eyes.

Hint.

LAUGHHING!.....................
Another new cartridge from Nosler??🥱😴
Originally Posted by Bobber257
Another new cartridge from Nosler??🥱😴

You have to keep reinventing the wheel to make money!
I guess I'm old and just don't give a darn.
I didn't know there was a 25 souped. Or if we want to get crazy , a 24-06?

It's already done too, They call it the .Weatherby.

About anything you can imagine has already been tried as a wilcat. If the resulting cartridge didn't or doesn't survive doesn't mean it was or is really useless, it usually failed because there's something else that's so close to it that there's no real reason for it. I really believe that the .270 Winchester only survived in a sea of 7mms is because American's were in a period of anti European or anti German anything and MM was conceived as German or at least European..
Posted By: CRS Re: Nosler Releasing new Caliber - 03/05/20
Originally Posted by pete53
maybe these gun manufactures can quit bringing out new cartridges that won`t make it,instead take the wasted money and build a nice looking hunting rifle at a cheaper price ? 27 caliber ? its a loser too late.>> if i finally win a nice rifle in a gun raffle i sure hope its a normal cartridge not one of these new cartridges that won`t make it ?

Says the guy with a 25 Creedmoor. crazy
.................LOL>>>LOL>>>LOL............Well lets see here. Many did say back in 2005 and 2006 that the 375 Ruger was not going to make it, "Why we don't need another 375...........OOOOOPS!!!

After the 6.5 PRC came out the same old bitching. "We gotta nuff 6.5s. That one not gonna make it.........OOOOOPS!

300 PRC? "Why we gotta nuff of dem 300 magnums." This one not gonna make it..........However, so far???.....................OOOOOOPS!

270 and 300 WSMs. Same bitching..............................OOOOOOPS!

Ya gotta let the market play out a little Pete and wait and see what the rifle makers do regarding the 27 Nosler. I wouldn't exactly write off the 27 Nosler......YET!.
Originally Posted by Bugger
I guess I'm old and just don't give a darn.

I'm in that boat too.
Originally Posted by CRS

Says the guy with a 25 Creedmoor. crazy

CRS >your statement in one way is right but foolish in another way , 25 Creedmoor is a wild cat cartridge not manufactured to the public .
the Nosler 270 is going to be manufactured for the public use ,that`s the difference , will the 270 Nosler make it ? you know my thought.
i build wild cats for fun,built 7mm-08`s 10 years before that cartridge was ever manufactured to the public,also 5 years before some 6.5-284`s was released to the public to buy it in a rifle. i also have had a couple of 6mm- 284 that never made it , but that is a fantastic cartridge . .257 caliber bullet builders are starting to make some decent bench rest bullets, .277 its anyone`s guess for bench rest bullets ? not all of my wild cats make it but i sure have fun playing with them > that`s the real difference wild cat cartidges vs public cartridges.and actually 25 Creedmoor is just a 250 Savage cartridge basically so its kinda not a new cartridge >now you know the rest of the story . Grin
What we really need is the 240 Weatherby necked up to.277. Then we could have 30-06 case capacity with the double radius neck and an awesome belt.

I suspect even Stick could get behind that. smile
Posted By: CRS Re: Nosler Releasing new Cartridge - 03/05/20
pete,
Just making a fun observation. grin

I like the 270 Nosler, and may get one just because. In reality, it does not make a lot a sense for me. But it certainly makes more sense for me than a 25 Creed, or any wildcat for that matter.
YMMV laugh
10 years from now the 27 Nosler wii be a question ? make sure you buy plenty brass , this 270 cartridge just might be like Remington`s short magnums ? another thing wild cats sometimes are what get made into normal cartridges > all Creedmoors are based on a 250 Savage,458 win.mag produced 300 Win.mag,264 Win.mag,7mm Rem. mag, 308 Win made 243,260,358 7mm-08. and i am sure there are plenty more cartridges that once were wildcats. with respect,Pete53
Originally Posted by doubletap
What we really need is the 240 Weatherby necked up to.277. Then we could have 30-06 case capacity with the double radius neck and an awesome belt.

I suspect even Stick could get behind that. smile

nice ideal , but why not just buy or build a 6.5x284 ? bet old stick would agree a little
I was being facetious. I'm taking pain pills and Scotch for a fractured shoulder and didn't expect anyone to think that was a serious suggestion.
10 years from now the 27 Nosler wii be a question ? make sure you buy plenty brass , this 270 cartridge just might be like Remington`s short magnums ? another thing wild cats sometimes are what get made into normal cartridges > all Creedmoors are based on a 250 Savage,458 win.mag produced 300 Win.mag,264 Win.mag,7mm Rem. mag, 308 Win made 243,260,358 7mm-08. and i am sure there are plenty more cartridges that once were wildcats. with respect,Pete53
..................We shall see about the 27 Nosler. Midway now has some 27 Nosler ammo available. For being a new round, I suppose that is a reasonably good start. Besides Nosler, we wait and see if the other rifle makers will offer it. The shooting market will determine the success or failure of the 27 Nosler.

I am of the opinion that it just might succeed. Listed from Midway; 150 gr @ 3300 fps. I give Nosler credit as well as Hornady for their new product innovations.
great for Nosler if the 27 Nosler does succeed,my questions are Remington`s short magnums are gone ,Winchester`s half of those short Magnums are gone too , all were / are great cartridges but will the public want a new heavier recoil cartridge ? the public right now are so into Creedmoor cartridges is there room for another kinda maybe super cartridge in the world of hunting rifles ?
© 24hourcampfire