Home
Hi guys.
I have an 03 made by Remington, Barreled action that was sporterized by grandfather in the original 30-06 chambering. Serial number is in the 3millions. The barrel is marked with a date of 03/1942 at the very front right where the front site was cut off. It was then passed down to my uncle, and then to me. The barrel is shot out on it. In it's time it was holding sub 1" groups scoped. Now it barely hits a paper plate. I'd like to rebarrel this gun in 284 Win. I've read so many posts on here about doing the 284 in all types of action except the 03. I'm going to ER Shaw do the work. I handload and I like things that aren't the norm. I've read the best way to go to be able to shoot the long for caliber 7mm bullets is to gi with the long action. This is going to be a dual purpose gun 25-26 inch barrel with a heavy sporter barrel. It'll be a deer/black bear and possible elk gun, but id also like to be able to shoot local matches with it. But just to have fun. My main goal is to use it as a long range deer gun. I've heard and read stories of the rebated 284 not feeding correctly is some actions. Has anyone done a rebated rim case build on an 03 that would have any experience with this?

I know I'm going to hear all kinds of stuff about the 280, and 280AI, but I'm pretty dead set on the 284.

One last question is should I ask for any freebore. I understand it going on a long action and can set the 160gr+ bullets out far enough in the magazine, but will I need more freebore to accommodate that.?

If the 284 is ruled out because of my action, 338-06 is a possible backup. But my hope for my first custom is to be a 284. The action has been professionally worked and is super smooth. It also has a very nice Timiney installed. It's also drilled and tapped and still has what look to be Warne bases. I appreciate all the feedback, but as i first mentioned my main concern is feeding issue.

Thanks in advance.
Craig
Yeah your right you are trying to turn silk purse into a sows ear. Stick with the 06 in this action ,you don't see many 06 loads over 49k cup but 284 loads are worked to 54k cup. You want a 284 go find a newer commercial action donor. Hot loaded 284 is not the way to take care of your legacy gun. MB
Ughhh not what I wanted to hear. So would the 280AI be the smarter route since they're based off the same case? I have two other 06's that I don't use very often, so I dont need another.

I really want to be able to pass this gun down in the family again. But I want it done right this time. The 6.5-06 is another option. Still want that 284 Win pretty bad.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Yeah your right you are trying to turn silk purse into a sows ear. Stick with the 06 in this action ,you don't see many 06 loads over 49k cup but 284 loads are worked to 54k cup. You want a 284 go find a newer commercial action donor. Hot loaded 284 is not the way to take care of your legacy gun. MB

From what I read in Hatcher's Notes the Remington 03 actions were tested to 125k. So that leads me to believe I shouldn't have issues with pressure. My main concern is feeding issues. This will not be a single shot rifle. I've read of many different types of Mausers being chambered for the 284, but I've never run across an 03 being chambered for a 284. I'm not afraid to have some work done on the feed rails, but I'm curious to know if any members have done a 284 Win on an 03 and what their results were.
A solution that might get you more bang for your buck ic to have the ‘03 rebored to 338/06, and then build the 284 on a more suitable action.
The result would be two rifles that function well, for likely the same cost as one 284 that frustrates you.
Originally Posted by Royce
A solution that might get you more bang for your buck ic to have the ‘03 rebored to 338/06, and then build the 284 on a more suitable action.
The result would be two rifles that function well, for likely the same cost as one 284 that frustrates you.

+10 THIS if you go 338-06 or 35 whelen you can do it with a rebore on the original barrel, if you do the 284 you need a new barrel and chambering but if you do this 284 on a new 700LA you will still be
able to sell it when you fall out of love with it. Not saying the 284 in a o3A3 won't feed from the mag, I don't know if it will or won't MB
i took the exact action a Remington 03 and built a 6mm-284 it shoots great and is very accurate ,i see no reason a 284 Win won`t work . good luck,Pete53
You'd do far better to just make a 270 or 280. Both will do all the 284 Win will do and actually do a bit more and would need no action or magazine work at all in your Springfield
I have an 03-A3 I rebarreled to 6.5-06 and am very happy with it.

As has been said I’d strongly consider “keeping it in the (06) family” not for the pressure reasons as yours is a modern rifle but for smooth operating.

Mine has the milled trigger guard tapered, a Timney Spoertsman trigger, Wisner “Model 70-style” shroud safety, and custom-built S&K SKulptered bases/rings.

I love custom Springfields.
Have you reloaded a .284?

I had my first go round with it last month. It sucks compared to 3006 brass. IMO.

I would go for the 338 personally. I like extra air in the barrel, not metal.
I don't disagree with what any of you guys are saying. But the upside to doing the 284 in a long action, is the added benefit of being able to seat heavy long for caliber bullets in the mag, with a lil freebore if necessary. I have nothing against the 270, I own one. And I love the 7mm caliber of the 284 Win and 280 Rem. It's just that I like to be a little different. I know nobody personally that has a 284 Win, and I like to be that guy that is different. Everyone at deer camp has a 30-06, 270 "I own both". They also have the 7mm-08 and 280 Rem. I'm the guy that wants to be different. I had a 6.5 Creed when they first came out because it was different, now everyone has one, or more lol. The 284 is a more efficient cartridge than most,and to be honest, I'm really set on it. So I'm really glad guys aren't having feeding issues in an 03 action.

My next question is where to find a decent or I should say really nice Walnut sporter stock? I've bought a few Boyd's Laminate stocks for two different guns and have no complaints at all. I made a Savage 340 Bolt Action 30-30 come back to life and love that little gun. But I've never been impressed with their solid walnut stocks. I ordered a stock from Richards Microfit for a 270 Win build I was doing. I called several times and got answers like it was on the line right now and should be a couple of weeks yet and never received the stock. Called a few weeks later and they magically said they never received my order. They never even billed me. So I don't know what happened there. As mentioned before this gun is to be an heirloom that I keep passing down so I want it to be a functional good looking gun. But, my pockets aren't super deep.
Of the two rounds mentioned, .284 and 338-06, I'd go with the latter. It will feed better.

I have a 6.5-284 on a Pre-64. It feeds great, but that took some work. The smith milled the follower rib back a bit to accommodate the fatter round.

'06 based rounds will for sure feed better as is, but the .284 can be made to work. The operative words are "made to work".

CFR action may be harder to adapt to a shorter, fatter found than push feed. I've heard that.

DF
And no, I havent loaded for the 284 yet, as ive never owned one. As I said I have no qualms with the 06, 270, or 280. They all serve their purpose and work great. I just consider them boring . I like to be different and have things most other do not have. It's nice going to the range, my camp, or a friends camp with a rifle and round that I'm guessing most, maybe none have ever seen, let alone shot before. It's especially nice if that said rifle performs especially well.
A .280 AI is pretty different and will deliver better speed than the .284 w/o the “made to” that DF mentions?

As far as stocks you can get upgraded walnut from Boyd’s that is well worth the expense IMHO. The Prairie Hunter I got my son for his Turk Mauser in .257 Rob was standard grade wood and looks nice; their laser checkering is REALLY nice IMHO.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

On both of these issues (.284 vs 06 family, Boyd’s vs Richards Microfit) I keep in mind that shop time is quickest way to add to cost of a build. The “made to work” that DF mentions amounts to hours of machining on feed rails &/or follower by a skilled gunsmith which is quite expensive. Same goes for the difference between Richards and Boyd’s both on the inletting side as well as checkering. That is, I’ve seen a lot of work necessary on Richard’s stocks plus checkering vs neater inletting from Boyd’s & laser checkering.

Just more food for thought based upon my experience.
Originally Posted by efw
A .280 AI is pretty different and will deliver better speed than the .284 w/o the “made to” that DF mentions?

As far as stocks you can get upgraded walnut from Boyd’s that is well worth the expense IMHO. The Prairie Hunter I got my son for his Turk Mauser in .257 Rob was standard grade wood and looks nice; their laser checkering is REALLY nice IMHO.

On both of these issues (.284 vs 06 family, Boyd’s vs Richards Microfit) I keep in mind that shop time is quickest way to add to cost of a build. The “made to work” that DF mentions amounts to hours of machining on feed rails &/or follower by a skilled gunsmith which is quite expensive. Same goes for the difference between Richards and Boyd’s both on the inletting side as well as checkering. That is, I’ve seen a lot of work necessary on Richard’s stocks plus checkering vs neater inletting from Boyd’s & laser checkering.

Just more food for thought based upon my experience.

That is a nice looking stock! And you say that's just their standard grade, not one of the two upgrades you can make to walnut with Boyd's?
Thanks yep that’s a standard grade walnut Prairie Hunter with their laser cut fleur-de-lis checkering panels.
Looks very good. As I said I never did a walnut stock from them and their build your stock section doesn't exactly do the wood justice. I definitely like that stock. I suppose Boyd's it is.
Thank you
Everyone of my Springfields will feed a empty case into the chamber without a bobble or a problem, smooth and slick I like that and that is one feature I wouldn't want to loose. What say pete53? on the 284? MB
my 6mmx284 works just fine feeding and ejecting ,this cartridge is very fast and accurate too !
Ok that's really the info Craig wanted. I can tell you for a fact that unaltered rails and followers will feed the 308 Norma Mag and the 300 Win Mag to without problems because I have them both and NO I didn't do it to them. MB
Thanks guys. You definitely answered the questions I had. Feeding the rebated rim in an 03, and well made stock options. While Richards Microfit does have some very nice looking walnut, and Boyd's may be a step down in that regard. But I do know the turnaround time and the inletting on the Boyd's are topnotch. And as I mentioned before, I never even received the stock I ordered from Richards Microfit. After 6 or 7 weeks they told me it was on the line. After 10 weeks and not seeing my checking account taking a hit I called back, and the records of me ever ordering a stock didn't exist for some reason. So Boyd's got the call for a second time. Now, it looks like they're getting a 3rd call.
I can tell you for a fact that unaltered rails and followers will feed the 308 Norma Mag and the 300 Win Mag to without problems because I have them both and NO I didn't do it to them. MB

That’s super helpful for me to hear because I’ve been thinking I needed to find one that had been altered to.308 Norma for a .338 WM project I’ve had going but this tells me I don’t.

Excellent; thanks so much!
But the truth is still important there are newer and stronger actions for short magnum cartridges. I bought mine inexpensively the way they are,would not spend a dime to do that too them
,comprende? MB
I did a plain old 284 on a 1909 action years ago, put it in a Pacific research stock, it was my go-to rifle. Now, the sweet thing about this action is the longer mag box to accommodate longer seated bullets. I simply throated it .200" longer than the standard chamber. Thee is no reason not to do the same to the '03, just a simple tune-up to the rails may be in store. Go for it!
How about the 7x57? Maybe that would fit your requirements?

I tried calling Boyd's.....what a joke!

They wanted me to go on line and just deal with it.
I was just thinking and almost all of the custom 03s I have encountered were still in 30-06 caliber, a few were in 300 WIN MAG but not many. I did see one in 8X57MM several years ago, kind of an odd combo. I guess short action rounds arent desirable in the 03 action?
there are a lot of 06 cartridges that will work better. .getting the .284 to feed is going to be a adventure.

cat & dog marriage...…………

Lefty
Originally Posted by Jericho
I was just thinking and almost all of the custom 03s I have encountered were still in 30-06 caliber, a few were in 300 WIN MAG but not many. I did see one in 8X57MM several years ago, kind of an odd combo. I guess short action rounds arent desirable in the 03 action?

A buddy of mine was in the coast guard in the early 70's he did a tour at Adak where he traded some older senior enlisted guy out of 2 m1903 Springfield actions he had them made up into a 7x57 and a .257 Ackley Imp. They work ok for him no rail work done.MB
I guess short action rounds arent desirable in the 03 action?

I have one I bought here in 6mm-250 that was put together by bench rest rifle builder HW Creighton down in Tennessee and while it’s STUPID accurate the box hasn’t been shortened properly and it doesn’t feed reliably at all.

Without making mag box mods a true short action cartridge (.300 Sav or .308 win length) would probably have the same issues I’m having with feeding. A mag block and extended bolt stop to shorten throw would likely remedy the issue.
But the truth is still important there are newer and stronger actions for short magnum cartridges. I bought mine inexpensively the way they are,would not spend a dime to do that too them
,comprende? MB

Yeah I got ya and appreciate the sentiment but I’m a loonie for custom Mausers & Springfields and I have a threaded, short-chambered barrel that speaks to me in the night... she must be answered.
Originally Posted by craigmcm284
I don't disagree with what any of you guys are saying. But the upside to doing the 284 in a long action, is the added benefit of being able to seat heavy long for caliber bullets in the mag, with a lil freebore if necessary. I have nothing against the 270, I own one. And I love the 7mm caliber of the 284 Win and 280 Rem. It's just that I like to be a little different. I know nobody personally that has a 284 Win, and I like to be that guy that is different. Everyone at deer camp has a 30-06, 270 "I own both". They also have the 7mm-08 and 280 Rem. I'm the guy that wants to be different. I had a 6.5 Creed when they first came out because it was different, now everyone has one, or more lol. The 284 is a more efficient cartridge than most,and to be honest, I'm really set on it. So I'm really glad guys aren't having feeding issues in an 03 action.

My next question is where to find a decent or I should say really nice Walnut sporter stock? I've bought a few Boyd's Laminate stocks for two different guns and have no complaints at all. I made a Savage 340 Bolt Action 30-30 come back to life and love that little gun. But I've never been impressed with their solid walnut stocks. I ordered a stock from Richards Microfit for a 270 Win build I was doing. I called several times and got answers like it was on the line right now and should be a couple of weeks yet and never received the stock. Called a few weeks later and they magically said they never received my order. They never even billed me. So I don't know what happened there. As mentioned before this gun is to be an heirloom that I keep passing down so I want it to be a functional good looking gun. But, my pockets aren't super deep.

I would not gamble on the fat .284 case feeding reliably unless your gunsmith is very competent to play with the feed rails.

I would avoid Richard Micro-Fit junk more than I would try to avoid the Corona Virus.
Originally Posted by efw
I guess short action rounds arent desirable in the 03 action?

I have one I bought here in 6mm-250 that was put together by bench rest rifle builder HW Creighton down in Tennessee and while it’s STUPID accurate the box hasn’t been shortened properly and it doesn’t feed reliably at all.

Without making mag box mods a true short action cartridge (.300 Sav or .308 win length) would probably have the same issues I’m having with feeding. A mag block and extended bolt stop to shorten throw would likely remedy the issue.

I have a LA 700 chambered for 257R. It's one of the slickest feeding rifles I have. You can place rounds anywhere in the box and it feeds slick.

So, it can be done. If not, a mag block will generally work.

The skill of the smith in setting up these rifles is key.

DF
Yeah I agree DF I was speaking more to what one could call a “true short”. I’ve seen .257s on 03s that fed fine w/o blocks or anything.
If it was my '03, and I have a couple of them, I'd probably go .280 or .280 AI to scratch a 7mm itch.

For a hunting rifle, the short fat rounds really offers no advantage and the longer ones, especially the AI version, will shoot faster.

In fact, the .280 AI is pretty close to the 7RM and more efficient. If I didn't already have a great 7RM, I'd be looking at one.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
If it was my '03, and I have a couple of them, I'd probably go .280 or .280 AI to scratch a 7mm itch.

For a hunting rifle, the short fat rounds really offers no advantage and the longer ones, especially the AI version, will shoot faster.

In fact, the .280 AI is pretty close to the 7RM and more efficient. If I didn't already have a great 7RM, I'd be looking at one.

DF

+1
I don't think you'd have any problem with a hot loaded .284 in an s03 OR 03-A3 action. You didn't mean 03-A3 did you? Remington made a train full during the war. I know what you said about not wanting to entertain a .280 or the .280 AI but I gotta say, either one is a natural in an 03 or 03-A3.

I'm not 100% sure about the .280 AI but the regular .280's a breeze to load for and gets lots of velocity even without being reamed out to an AI.
I think once you get past those early, low number ‘03’s, action strength is on par with modern actions.

DF
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Have you reloaded a .284?

I had my first go round with it last month. It sucks compared to 3006 brass. IMO.

I would go for the 338 personally. I like extra air in the barrel, not metal.

I've been handloading 284 Win since 1977 for several different rifles, including a Savage Model 99F. The only trouble I ever encountered was with one box of Nosler Partitions. Didn't group worth a damn. Nosler Solid Bases (the old red boxes) work great though.
Very "interesting" thread.

A .30-06 Springfield made in 1942 would have to be a 1903A3. They are plenty strong enough for the .284--or the .300 Winchester Magnum, or any other "modern" round. A bunch were rechambered (and the front of the bolt converted) to .300 Winchester back when that cartridge was introduced, because there were far more very affordable 1903A3s than Winchester Model 70s.

Several gun writers built a .284 Winchesters on longer actions not long after the round appeared, because (like a lot of rifle loonies back then) they believed the "deep-seated" bullets in the .284 case robbed it of significant velocity. (Which isn't true, for reasons too involved to go into here.)

I also seem to recall one of them (possibly Bob Hagel) built one on a 1903A3 ACTION. But I also do not recall whoever made the experiment having any major difficulty getting the .284 to feed.

It is NOT a "magnum diameter" case, so would suggest the OP try some .284 rounds (preferably dummies) in his rifle and see if they will feed. My suspicion is it just might, even without any modifications to the feed rails.

Of course the .284 doesn't do anything a bunch of other cartridges do for hunters who never shoot beyond 400 yards, but if he wants something "special," why not?
This one is an '03 by Springfield with 10-42 on the barrel. Don't ya reckon they were using up '03 receivers before going to the 03-A3?

BTW, that barrel is pristine thru the Hawkeye and shoots accordingly. Vintage Fajen stock and Timney.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Had been thinkin about rebarreling a sporterized Remington 03a3 with jewel bolt, aftermarket bolt handle, and a walnut stock with a bit of euro influence, in 6.5x55 Ackley Improved with a long heavy fast twist barrel. Figured with the AI it might come close to the 06 case contour, and similar length with long bullets. And be an interesting range rifle. Kind of 6.5 PRC-ish in a retro-cool wrapper.

I been lookin for a reason to buy a big heavy scope with exposed turrets.
Sounds interesting.

DF
DF Ijust picked up 03A3 SC couple weeks back that has a same model [bleep] on it. The previous owner had a William's bolt handle installed, still had the original safety though with 03 milled bottom metal
D&T for weaver bases and got them where they were supposed to be. Haven't shot it much but it does show promise. I have one of [bleep] super deluxe sporter stocks with rosewood grip and fore end tip completely checkered with 5 hardwood and ivory diamond shaped inlays on the stock
Looks like someone wanted the Weatherby look for sure Also have a03A3 Rem that was converted to 308 Norma mag in a thumbhole.Springfields have all ways interested me. MB
FAjen=BLEEP?
DF Ijust picked up 03A3 SC couple weeks back that has a same model [bleep] on it. The previous owner had a William's bolt handle installed, still had the original safety though with 03 milled bottom metal
D&T for weaver bases and got them where they were supposed to be. Haven't shot it much but it does show promise. I have one of [bleep] super deluxe sporter stocks with rosewood grip and fore end tip completely checkered with 5 hardwood and ivory diamond shaped inlays on the stock
Looks like someone wanted the Weatherby look for sure Also have a03A3 Rem that was converted to 308 Norma mag in a thumbhole.Springfields have all ways interested me. MB

My other '03 is in a French Walnut Herter roll over stock that lost about a half pound of wood with my wood rasp...

This was a project back when I was in High School I did the skip a line checkering (in vogue back than) and the rose wood inlays. It's glassed and free floated, has a McGowen SS barrel (a bit heavy, but what did I know) and in that unmentionable .277 round. But, I was young back then, just didn't know... blush

But would you believe, it's a real shooter...

I keep saying I'm gonna bloody it on something one of these days, just have too many on going projects that keep getting in the way.

DF

Mine is a 257 Roberts.
DF that’s a beautiful rifle I like it!

Here is my latest, a (way too) slow twist 6.5-06:

I purchased the short-chambered tube from GB where seller said they’d measured the ROT at 1-in-9” but after range testing I found it MUCH slower as 140 NBTs, 130 VLDs, and 120 GMXs wouldn’t group. Luckily 100 GR TTSXs did and worked nicely on does this past fall!

I like the Wisner safety & S&K bases/rings. The curly maple stock I got in the classifieds here and it’s lovely.

I’d love a much faster twist and may get around to a rebarreled at some point but for now I think of it as a 25-06 which is what it’s think it was if it could read...

Those look nice. A 277 or 6.5-06 is probably an easier way to go than AI-Swede.
Hi guys.
I have an 03 made by Remington, Barreled action that was sporterized by grandfather in the original 30-06 chambering. Serial number is in the 3millions. The barrel is marked with a date of 03/1942 at the very front right where the front site was cut off. It was then passed down to my uncle, and then to me. The barrel is shot out on it. In it's time it was holding sub 1" groups scoped. Now it barely hits a paper plate. I'd like to rebarrel this gun in 284 Win. I've read so many posts on here about doing the 284 in all types of action except the 03. I'm going to ER Shaw do the work. I handload and I like things that aren't the norm. I've read the best way to go to be able to shoot the long for caliber 7mm bullets is to gi with the long action. This is going to be a dual purpose gun 25-26 inch barrel with a heavy sporter barrel. It'll be a deer/black bear and possible elk gun, but id also like to be able to shoot local matches with it. But just to have fun. My main goal is to use it as a long range deer gun. I've heard and read stories of the rebated 284 not feeding correctly is some actions. Has anyone done a rebated rim case build on an 03 that would have any experience with this?

I know I'm going to hear all kinds of stuff about the 280, and 280AI, but I'm pretty dead set on the 284.

One last question is should I ask for any freebore. I understand it going on a long action and can set the 160gr+ bullets out far enough in the magazine, but will I need more freebore to accommodate that.?

If the 284 is ruled out because of my action, 338-06 is a possible backup. But my hope for my first custom is to be a 284. The action has been professionally worked and is super smooth. It also has a very nice Timiney installed. It's also drilled and tapped and still has what look to be Warne bases. I appreciate all the feedback, but as i first mentioned my main concern is feeding issue.

Thanks in advance.
Craig

Send it to JES re-bore and have it bored and chambered in .338-06 or 35 Whelen. It will cost you a fraction of a re-barrel and will shoot great. I know you said 284, but I thought you might like this option. If you want a long range rifle, you might be better off with a newer one set up for it in .284 win. To me that is a old school rifle that needs a classic caliber like 35 Whelen. Your Grandfather would be proud. http://www.35caliber.com/
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Those look nice. A 277 or 6.5-06 is probably an easier way to go than AI-Swede.

Yeah probably but if that’s your desire go for it!

I’m thinking that if I decide to finally rebarrel mine to correct the twist issue I will likely do 6.5-06AI or 6.5-.280AI.

I like the wildcat cool factor.
Looking back I did pass up a custom 03 in 257 Roberts several years ago that I should have jumped on for $400

7x57 gives the best of both world. Seat as long as you want. Almost guaranteed to feed as well as the 06 .

Ok, I’ll jump in here. First, they are all brass, primers, powder, twists, and barrels. Nothing magical about any of them. In a world of a few constants, throw in a bowl full of variables in the field, and you’ll never know the difference between cartridges from 6.5 to 33 on game.

But, the 284 Win is a very good cartridge, handicapped at the outset, thus never gaining the notice it deserves, especially since R17 came along. I don’t know that I’d start with that rifle you mention because this rifle, IMO, demands, a lightweight build with a just long enough box, tube, and twist faster than 10:1.

Do it but not with “that” rifle. Start from the ground up.
What does the smith, ER Shaw say?? Have you asked them? If they can do what you want done with no worries, I wouldn`t have any either.
As far as free bore, load a dummy round with the bullet of choice making sure it fits in the mag. and send that to them. They will chamber accordingly.

Most times it`s best to talk directly to the horse.
Like your idea!
Want a 284? Build it.
I have experience loading that case in 284 and a wildcat 30-284. It's a very easy case to load and rewarding. Great hunting round. Build your 284 and load it with 120TTSX and hunt anything you want successfully. The 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip works great on whitetail. Devistating, deadly, accurate, easy to load. A good smith can put it together for you so that it feeds fine. There sure were factory rifles shooting and feeding just fine. Nevermind the negative ninny naysayers. Build it and have fun with it. I'll bet you'll be glad you did. I was.
Jim
all the 284 permutations have a certain mystique. i'm a firm believer that if you want something, that's a good enough reason if money isn't a problem.

I daydream from time to time, what if? but when I head for the woods......30-06 or if it's rainy a 6.5 swede with iron sights.

bill
Remington built 1903 rifles on the old Rock Island '03 tooling until early 1943, when it was superseded by the 03-A3. A Remington 1903 isn't much different than a R.I.A. 1903, except the later production Remington '03's show significantly more tool marks and aren't finished as well.

Any high-number '03 in good condition would be suitable for a .284 Win. Or a standard magnum, for that matter. Just make sure you don't have one of the old case-hardened bolts (small single gas port).

As JB noted, legendary gunwriter Bob Hagel did indeed build a .284 on an A3 action and wrote it up in the 1965 Gun Digest. Or more correctly, he had the equally legendary Fred Huntington of RCBS put it together. In any event, he discusses throats, bullet seating and various loads in detail. He doesn't mention any feeding issues. Most of the loads Hagel notes in the article are pretty hot, which isn't surprising.
© 24hourcampfire