Home
Posted By: shaman Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
Let's just say I got a wild idea about building a custom rifle. I've not done this before, so I don't know what I'm asking.

I find a donor rifle-- a bolt gun, maybe a Savage, a Remington, or a Winchester at a decent price. I'm looking to have the barrel replaced with something mundane and rechambered to something fairly mainstream (something based off a 30-06 or 308 Win case)

What do you think it would cost to get the re-barrelled action back in my hands?
Who would you suggest do the work?
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
A fitted chambered barrel with a squared off receiver and squared off bolt face will cost at least 600 from Bartlein. One stop shopping. Less if you piece out the work.

Do a search since there are many threads on this subject.
Posted By: shaman Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
A fitted chambered barrel with a squared off receiver and squared off bolt face will cost at least 600 from Bartlein. One stop shopping. Less if you piece out the work.

Do a search since there are many threads on this subject.

Thanks. $600 gives me a good benchmark. I read these threads, and I always see some bit of esoterica thrown in that muddies the waters. I was looking at a website the other day and trying to figure out why it would cost me $1500 to get a barrel replaced. This is enough info so that I know which end of the pool I need to remain.

My guess is that, for the most part, it'll behoove me to keep myself in the shallow factory end of the pool. If I get a sudden urge to get a barrel job done, then I need to get my dosages checked first.

Thanks for the quick comeback.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
https://www.douglasbarrels.net/barrel-fitting-services
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
Yeah, its not cheap no matter what barrel you choose. Add in the cost of a replacement stock, trigger, metal finish etc and things add up quick. With the out of box accuracy of rifles today it's no wonder why resale of semi customs take a dump.

Re-barreling a shot out barrel on a rifle you love is another matter.

It's all about what it's worth to you and what makes you happy. No right or wrong way.
Posted By: micky Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
Having built a couple rifles over the years, if this is a hunting rifle, buy a Tikka and sink the money you saved into optics and ammo. Unless your an accuracy loon, comp shooter or very long range varmint hunter, save your money or buy another gun.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
For a hunting rifle Douglas is hard to beat. Call and ask for Stan Taylor. Stan is one of the better long range shooters in the US of A.
Posted By: cbennett Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
Good Morning, I have a quick Douglas story from February 2020 that I wanted to share. I had a push feed Model 70 that I was looking to re barrel to 6mm Remington. I emailed Stan at Douglas and we got the ball rolling.
I sent the barreled action out via UPS on a Tuesday, it arrived at Douglas on Thursday afternoon. The following Thursday I had a call for my credit card number as the job was complete. The barreled action was back in my hands on the following Monday. The bill from Douglas was $ 500.00 including return shipping.
Stan put on a Stainless Steel No 7 barrel and bead blasted it. So far I am extremely impressed with the way the rifle shoots and cleans up. I have barrels from most of the big names both cut and buttoned and so far as very happy with Douglas.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
Can’t beat that! I have and have had a few Douglas barrels that Mr. Coleman put on for me. They have all been great and seems to equal the big names from the named smiths. That said it might be said that I can’t see an improvement on barrels and Smith’s until my loading and shooting skills improve? Either way I’ve been very happy with Douglas barrels.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
One thing to keep in mind is if you use a CM barrel and prefer steel and blue, you will have to pay for bluing, which can run from $150-$300 depending on who does the job... soft rust blue can run quite a bit more than that.

Also, I don't know anyone who just replaces a barrel when they do a custom rifle.... if you're going to start down this road, pencil in a new stock, trigger, possibly different bottom metal, and whatever mods you may end up with down the road....
Posted By: z1r Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
Originally Posted by Sheister
One thing to keep in mind is if you use a CM barrel and prefer steel and blue, you will have to pay for bluing, which can run from $150-$300 depending on who does the job... soft rust blue can run quite a bit more than that.

Also, I don't know anyone who just replaces a barrel when they do a custom rifle.... if you're going to start down this road, pencil in a new stock, trigger, possibly different bottom metal, and whatever mods you may end up with down the road....

Good point about a CM barrel needing to be blued.

But the second point is utter crap. This isn't a "custom rifle" more like a custom barrel/rebarrel. There are dozens of shops including most barrel makers who are more than willing to slap another barrel on a customer supplied action. How much gets done to the action is up to the customer. Do you want the action trued? Other Mods or custom touches?
Posted By: Sheister Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
Originally Posted by z1r

But the second point is utter crap. This isn't a "custom rifle" more like a custom barrel/rebarrel. There are dozens of shops including most barrel makers who are more than willing to slap another barrel on a customer supplied action. How much gets done to the action is up to the customer. Do you want the action trued? Other Mods or custom touches?

Reign it in there a bit Bubba.... the OP stated he wanted to build a custom rifle. I assumed the barrel work was just one piece of the puzzle.....
Posted By: z1r Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
Originally Posted by z1r

Reign it in there a bit Bubba.... the OP stated he wanted to build a custom rifle. I assumed the barrel work was just one piece of the puzzle.....

And I'm just saying that sticking a new barrel on a rifle doesn't make it a custom rifle. Losta liberties taken with that word.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by z1r

And I'm just saying that sticking a new barrel on a rifle doesn't make it a custom rifle. Losta liberties taken with that word.

Yes Sir
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/19/20
@OP, I've had good luck with Douglas Barrels for a "one stop shop" to have rifles barreled / rebarreled. You are close enough that you could do a day trip to Douglas to drop off your donor. Stan is a very interesting and knowledgeable individual to talk with if you call ahead and he has the time.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/20/20
Just had a Shilen stainless varmint barrel installed and chambered. On a Rem 700 action. Believe it cost a little over $600.
And it’s very accurate.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/20/20
Frontier Gun Shop
Helena, MT

406-442-4533

Dennis Erhardt is the best ‘smith I’ve done business with, and his rates are very reasonable.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/20/20
Might want to think long and hard about just what exactly you want to accomplish by doing this. No wrong answer to that question, btw.

At my age, even with the money in hand, a true custom might well be finished after I no longer can use it, or (gulp!) live to see it. The last smith work I had done, one hole d&t'd, took three months.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/20/20
For turnkey build.

Alamo Precison rifles.

I sent them my bighorn origin action for a 6.5 pic build.

Good bunch to deal with.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/20/20
After having has 10-12 custom rifles built over the years, I'd save myself the cost and LONG wait and just find something out there that is as close to what In want and buy it.
Posted By: drover Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/20/20
Originally Posted by Biebs
After having has 10-12 custom rifles built over the years, I'd save myself the cost and LONG wait and just find something out there that is as close to what In want and buy it.

For about one-half the price of what it cost to build. Custom rifles are generally a money pit that you will not recover the money spent on one.

drover
No! But you have what you want!!!
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/21/20
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Or you sell it at a substantial loss before you even shoot it...

Ha! I always laugh at those.
Posted By: drover Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/21/20

Well, in theory at least. I haven't had a lot of customs build but after having one done I always find something about it that I wish I had done differently and it ends up going down the road so I can go on to my next "perfect rifle".

Realistically I doubt that I will ever build another, there are enough good customs out there at reasonable prices that I am going to let someone else take the initial loss on them from now on.

drover
Posted By: shaman Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/22/20
Originally Posted by drover

Well, in theory at least. I haven't had a lot of customs build but after having one done I always find something about it that I wish I had done differently and it ends up going down the road so I can go on to my next "perfect rifle".

Realistically I doubt that I will ever build another, there are enough good customs out there at reasonable prices that I am going to let someone else take the initial loss on them from now on.

drover

Yes, I definitely went through that phase at one point, only with used guns. I started with a 30-06. I wanted something lighter so I got a Marlin 336 in 30-30. That didn't work out so well. The deer just stood there and sneered at me. That got me to buy a Savage 99 in 308 WIN. It worked, but I wanted to keep experimenting. I got a 7600 in 35 Whelen, and it worked, but it was a lot of sound and fury, and no better results. On and on I went.

Now? I've got a closet full of deer rifles and my favorite is simple 30-06 bolt gun. To go full circle took me about 20 years.

Now that I've been at it almost 40 years, I'm beginning to see what would be my ideal deer getters, but I'm no longer thinking they'd be worth the cost/effort.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Let's Just Say . . . - 06/22/20
Either PM shooter71 here or contact him on his website... good dude, quality work, fast turnaround

https://shaenrifles.com/
© 24hourcampfire