Home

25" Bartlein 5R 6mm barrel blank in a Remington Varmint contour weighs in at 3 pounds, 6.6 ounces.
Dang that’s a good bit lighter than a 2b
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan

The 25" Bartlein 6.5 2b blank I have is 3 pounds, 6.2 ounces, and that has a .600" muzzle rather than the normal .630".

What does a 25" 2b weight ShortMagFan?
My memory is that a 6.5mm 2b blank and a fluted 3 blank were 3lb 11oz. Again that is me going off of memory and they were full length blanks, so longer than 25”
In the past, I heard cons on the CW barrels........what Pros have been borne out in testing?

Are they proven 'More accurate' than a plane steel barrel of comparable weight? Thanks for any input.
Originally Posted by aalf

The 25" Bartlein 6.5 2b blank I have listed is 3 pounds, 6.2 ounces, and that has a .600" muzzle rather than the normal .630".

Thanks guys.

So it's very close in weight to a 2b but has a little more beef out front for suppressors and brakes I suppose?

I asked a guy that shoots for GAP a few years ago what he thought about them and he quite plainly stated that they walk when they heat up however I've recently seen claims they are dissipating so much heat that the mirage is a much bigger factor.

Rather interesting.
#4 Contour 7MM Carbon wrapped Bartlein - as shown is 3 lbs 5 ozs. Figure once its crowned and chambered I should be under 3 lbs. This barrel is supposed to finish @24" but will likely be closer to 23".

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]
So, you're saving 1.6 oz going up to 7mm and down to a #4 contour.

Not much reward is there?
Originally Posted by Higginez
So, you're saving 1.6 oz going up to 7mm and down to a #4 contour.

Not much reward is there?

Nope - would think the #4 would be a bit less weight versus the Varmint contour but guess not?? In looking at their contour chart the #4 and a Rem Varmint are pretty similar overall.
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
So, you're saving 1.6 oz going up to 7mm and down to a #4 contour.Not much reward is there?
Nope - would think the #4 would be a bit less weight versus the Varmint contour but guess not?? In looking at their contour chart the #4 and a Rem Varmint are pretty similar overall.

That's why I wonder why they even offer the #4, make 'em all a Rem Varmint & rock on.....
#4 looks cool though.
6.5 #4 23” to finish at 22”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
With action, DBM and trigger

Originally Posted by Kimber7man

That is sexy right there! What is going to be when it grows up?
Is that Curtis bottom metal ?
What the best source for bartlein CW barrels? You guys ordering direct or from a third party?
Originally Posted by KU_Geo
What the best source for the battle in CW barrels? You guys ordering direct or from a third party?

I picked mine up from Bartlein, they just happened to have one in stock, unspoken for.

They're 5 months out, give or take. Better to find a dealer with one on the shelf.
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

That is sexy right there! What is going to be when it grows up?

6.5 PRC or SAUM, haven’t decided. Bottom metal is APA RTG M5 footprint.

I vote PRC..... grin
Originally Posted by aalf

I vote PRC..... grin

Winner winner chicken dinner!
So, what is the point of a fiber wrap? They cost a fortune and way more than naked steel. I've got a Sauer 202 lightweight in .270 Win. (barrel is factory fluted and weighs 2 lbs, 2 oz) that puts 3 shots into 5/8 of an inch all day long. How much more accurate is a fiber wrap for hunting purposes?
Sometimes it is simply because you can or you want to. I have a 22" fast twist on order for a 22 Grendel I am having built on a Howa mini action. I have never used a carbon barrel and wanted to try it. They are obviously light for barrel contour, but at this point I am so far past need, or reason for that matter, in the rifles I buy or build that I am simply having fun and seeing how stuff works.

My build is a M40 taper, M40 stock from B&C and a 7 twist. My plan is Hornady 88s or Berger 90s for now and Lapua brass. Not positive on powders yet, have some reading to do and does to get ordered.
I like your Grendel project. I have one too but have never fired it. What velocity are you hoping for with the 90 grainers?
.5 inch groups at 200 for 5 shots is my hope
Saving weight while allowing for enough meat to thread for a can is the biggy
Saving weight while allowing for enough meat to thread for a can is the biggy

This. wink
© 24hourcampfire