Home
I am looking to have a rifle put together for the wife and daughter for deer, black bear, and a moose, if luck gives us a permit. I have assembled the following parts and looking for ideas on good 7mm options for a short action with a finished weight of 6.25lbs or under and a barrel length of 21", Most shots would be in the 50-75 yard range with the possibility of out to 150.

1. Action: Bansner short action standard bolt face and mag box length of just a hair over 2.8"
2. Barrel:7mm Krieger #2 contour with 1:8.5 twist
3. Trigger:Trigger Tech Primary
4. Scope: Leupold FX II 6x36
5 Scope mounts: Talley Lightweight

I was thinking a 284 Winchester as I have dies and a few hundred pieces of brass in the reloading box.
7-08 is another obvious choice and what I'd lean towards in that scenario.
Originally Posted by patbrennan
7-08 is another obvious choice and what I'd lean towards in that scenario.

+1 With the parts you have already it just screams 7MM-08!
7mm-08, pretty hard to beat it for what your talking about. The 284 while a nice cartridge won't give you that much more.
7x57 Mauser
7-08. It’s a killer.
Originally Posted by erich
7mm-08, pretty hard to beat it for what your talking about. The 284 while a nice cartridge won't give you that much more.

Yep
7-08. 😬
Originally Posted by Shooter71
7-08. 😬

If you go 7MM-08 send it to this guy - he might know how to build a nice one laugh
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Originally Posted by Shooter71
7-08. 😬

If you go 7MM-08 send it to this guy - he might know how to build a nice one laugh

I emailed Shooter71 and he is on the short list of builders on this one.

Thanks for the insight from everyone.
The 7mm SAUM and .284 Winchester are two others I would consider. The 7SAUM I would stock up on brass though when you find it.
284 win is easy on the shoulder, as is the 7mm-08. I prefer the 284, but only if the action will except a COAL of 3.10”.
7-08
#1 - 708, #2 - 284
7-08 or 7-08 AI
Got the brass and dies, 284.
Originally Posted by Takman

As others have pointed out, coal is less than ideal.
Go 7/08.
7-08 done by Shaen is on my short list.
Good point. I’ll change my vote to 7mm-08.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
7x57 Mauser

I'd go there if it had a 3" mag.

Agree, 7-08 with 2.8" mag.

DF
Just to be original, I'll say 7 Creedmoor, but really, the pieces really just add up to a 7-08, given the short barrel, the short action, and the short magazine. 7-08 would be ideal in that package.
Well if someone wants to tabulate the votes.... cool

Better get a big jug of BG powder while ya at it.

DF

No brainer - 7-08mm
Originally Posted by Brad

No brainer - 7-08mm

This
7-08 AI

After having 6.5-284 and 30-284, will never do another 284 based round in a short action...
Originally Posted by AK416
7-08 AI

After having 6.5-284 and 30-284, will never do another 284 based round in a short action...

Agree.

My 6.5-284 is in a LA, as it should be, IMO.

A Pre-64 with Borden's Bumps, 26" Krieger, Jewell trigger.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
DF, nice looking rifle.
Thanks, shoots as good as it looks and has put it's share in the freezer...

The Z5 turret is set up for the 140 VLD, which it'll push at 3K fps over RL-17.

I want to try the new 156 EOL. Running that one in the 26 Nosler for now.

Seems I have more options, more ideas than time.

DF
Originally Posted by Takman

This.
You’ve got the brass & dies, the hardest part to assembling good 284’s. Get some R17 or Hunter and your good to go.

ETA: my custom SA 700 284 has an elongated box allowing .295 OAL. 140-gr TTSX’s at an easy 3100 fps and 2.5” groups at 400. With 52.5 grs. R17. The 7-08 while very good has nothing on a proper 284 unless you don’t want to reload.

One of the best things I’ve done as an all a rounder big game rifle.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
You’ve got the brass & dies, the hardest part to assembling good 284’s. Get some R17 or Hunter and your good to go.

ETA: my custom SA 700 284 has an elongated box allowing .295 OAL. 140-gr TTSX’s at an easy 3100 fps and 2.5” groups at 400. With 52.5 grs. R17. The 7-08 while very good has nothing on a proper 284 unless you don’t want to reload.

One of the best things I’ve done as an all a rounder big game rifle.

Well, taking it up to near 3" is what it would take, IMO, to go SA.

2.8" with the 6.5-284 or 284 just isn't Kosher.

So, leaving it at 2.8", for me it would have to be 7-08.

DF
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] Excuse the photo. On second paint job.

DF,
Yes, for the 7-08, unless you can extend the box which isn’t a big operation; should have clarified that. My mag box is actually 3” but I load to 2.95 OAL. And I don’t shoot 1000 yds with .7 BC bullets so that helps — just a plain ‘ol game rifle.

Of course for the 284, you need to be a dedicated hand loader.

And, yes, I have a leup 6x36 on it with LRD. 6.25 lbs. Just so handy, easy to carry, and useful for practically anything.

But loons split hairs. 😀
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] Excuse the photo. On second paint job.

DF,
Yes, for the 7-08, unless you can extend the box which isn’t a big operation; should have clarified that. My mag box is actually 3” but I load to 2.95 OAL. And I don’t shoot 1000 yds with .7 BC bullets so that helps — just a plain ‘ol game rifle.

Of course for the 284, you need to be a dedicated hand loader.

And, yes, I have a leup 6x36 on it with LRD. 6.25 lbs. Just so handy, easy to carry, and useful for practically anything.

But loons split hairs. 😀

Nice rifle, except for the handle being on the wrong side.... grin

With rounds like 7x57 and the 284 clan, 3" mag makes a lot of sense, even with the .257 Roberts.

Yep, for sure, us Loons do split hairs... wink

DF
i have built a 7mm-08 it is a great cartridge
Definitely the 7mm-08. Load a premium 140 to 2,800 and kill stuff.
7-08 ..... Is there such a thing as a 7CM?
7mm-08 140gr Partition
Originally Posted by SuperCub
7-08 ..... Is there such a thing as a 7CM?

7IHMSA?
Well first of let me thank all of you for your advice and suggestions. The 7-08 definitely had the votes. I was never accused of always making the smart choice so I of course am going with the 284 Winchester. My parts are being sent out next month and hopefully months later I should be developing some loads for. The box is being extended to 3" and it is going to be put in a Bansner Sheep Hunter stock. I have plenty of brass on hand as well as a good supply of Big Game powder, which I also use for the 9.3x62. When I get the finished gun back I will make sure to post pictures.
300 savage ! just saying.
7mm-08.......I am a huge fan and have 2 in the safe now with plans for another.

If you like sprinkles and cherries on that too, consider the AI version or a 7mm SAW but 7mm-08 is perfect. That twist can handle heavy bullets too.
The 284 Win is a dirty fhuqking trick,in a rifle so configured. Hint.

In fairness,I've broken more than a "few" Talley LW's too. Hint.

The Reupold 6x36,yet another Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

I've only built/got a "few" 6-284's,25-284's and 284's on S/A Remington receivers (600/700). 'Course bullets matter more than ALL of it,but it's funny watching Retards TRY to make "sense". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

ALL the 284 Win will do is add recoil,make more fhuqking noise,cost (1) round of mag capacity and MAKE you shoot schitty fhuqking bullets. And you are doing that on fhuqking PURPOSE,to people you are pretending to like?!? Hint. LAUGHING!

Hilariously enough,264 Kreedmire Factory Fodder will slap THE fhuqk outta a "tricky" massaged magbox 284Win and a 140 TTSX at a "magic" 3100fps. Why? Because it'll simply scoot a .697 BC at 2700fps,which will schit on same,as it goes by. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

This is easily amongst some of THE dumbest fhuqking schit I've heard...but you gals never disappoint,by simply doing your BEST. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your hearts for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

It got pretty fhuqking QUIET?!?

HINT.

Laughing!.....................
© 24hourcampfire