Home
I need a top-shelf gunsmith to chamber a new barrel (6.5-.284). I normally use Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan Rifles) but he is backed up more than two years. Any recommendations? TIA
Jim Kobe in Minnesota. He has done many for me. And they are very accurate rifles v

http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/boltfluting0914_007.htm
Does Kampfeld do chambering? Thought he only did fluting?
Most gunsmiths are going to be backed up at least a few months

I’ve used Jon Beanland for 3 builds the last couple of years and he has been a pleasure to work with. Great communication, great advice, great finished product
If a smith doesn’t have a bench vs. hunting reamer for what you want just getting the reamer adds 10 weeks most of the time.

So even with high quality new guys there is still a bit of a wait.... but it isn’t 2 years ... yikes !!
Kevin Weaver of Weaver Rifles does great work for me and family.

Do you need an action trued, or is this just a rebarrel / build on a custom action... ?
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Do you need an action trued, or is this just a rebarrel / build on a custom action... ?

Just a rebarrel.
I’d also give Shaen a call. Shooter71 here. I have not used him but he’s easy to talk to and I’ve heard great things from people who have used him
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
I’d also give Shaen a call. Shooter71 here. I have not used him but he’s easy to talk to and I’ve heard great things from people who have used him

+1 Shaen just did a build for me - super fast turn around time on the build - like 2 weeks from the time I sent it to him. And it shoots crazy good. Karl Feldkamp is also a great choice, if he is currently doing chamber work.
Thanks guys. I've also spoken to Jim Kobe. Very nice man. Thanks for all the help.
The last gun Greg built for me, he was able to get to it well before the timeframe he initially stated. I had all my parts ready to go which helped.
I can't say enough good about Greg Tannel. He's built over 20 guns for me. He's gotten super busy making cocking pieces, firing pins and other small parts on his Swiss CNC screw machines and is busy supplying a lot of custom action manufacturers with ignition components.
Another recommendation for Shaen Rifles...Super guy and knowledgeable. Years from now we all be saying how great it was before he got so well known....Actually it’s started......
Originally Posted by Tarquin
I need a top-shelf gunsmith to chamber a new barrel (6.5-.284). I normally use Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan Rifles) but he is backed up more than two years. Any recommendations? TIA

Jon Beanland

http://beanlandrifles.com/

John
well i could name quite a few...have had rifles built and rebarreled by several awesome smiths.depends on how long you want to wait.many built 20 to 25 years ago.most of them all retired now.today my new work will be done by jon beanland,alex wheeler,matt stewart pete pieper and a few others.i look for honesty and integrity equal to talent.
also not demeaning any on this list.karl feldkamp was awesome.dont know if he does chambering work anymore.
also not demeaning any on this list.karl feldkamp was awesome.dont know if he does chambering work anymore.
Originally Posted by Tarquin

turn around time can be an issue, more likely with the better known names.

I've used Jkob and he does great work. Karl and Redneck have also done projects for me; both are great.

I've also used David Christman in Delhi, LA. He's a Guild member and does great work. He retired from the West Coast and returned to LA. David's turnaround is often pretty good, but would call any smith and ask how backed up they are. That's generally how I decide which way to go.

DF
Shaen for sure. Sending him a blank to get cut for an origin prefit today. Communication is second to none, a few quick texts and we had the whole thing planned out in under 20 min. Sounds like his usual turnaround time is about two weeks and from what I’ve seen, his work is second to none. Plus I like supporting a CA guy. It’s a tough state to make a living in the gun industry.
Thanks for the advise guys.
Dennis Erhardt in Helena, MT. He advertises in Handloader and Rifle Magazine.
Rod Weber - Weber Customs....Kila, MT
Bunch of good ones mentioned. I can personally recommend Jim Kobe, Redneck, Pete Peiper, David Christman, Jon Beanlanmd, Mike Bryant, and Karl Feldkamp. I've only used Karl lately for octagon barrels and fluting, but I'll bet he still chambers them.
Butch, I had a question for you on the thread regarding salt bath nitriding. Would love to have your answer. TIA
Anyone know how many messages you need to be able to private message someone?
Anyone know how many messages you need to be able to private message someone?
+1 for Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles. Builds a very nice accurate rifle and easy to work with. Super happy with the 7-08 he built for me. Robert Gradous had highly recommended him to me when Robert wasn't accepting any new work.
© 24hourcampfire