Home
Posted By: nyrifleman Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20
http://www.hallowellco.com/gary_goudy_____custom_hva_mauser%20270.html

As much as I love the pre-64 Winchester 70, custom small ring Mausers hold a special place in my safe.

Not thrilled it lacks custom bottom metal, but that walnut and checkering are exquisite.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20
Life is short. If you have the scratch, buy it and enjoy the hell out of it.
Posted By: mag410 Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20
No help here. More like codependency. Don't let the blind magazine stop you. A classy rifle is a classy rifle. Audrey Hepburn was beautiful whether she played a nun or a blind woman.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20
unless it is the lighting or the angle but that sure looks like a large ring up front to me

edited to add that i dont see a step up from the other side so I guess it is just an optical illusion
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20
You need that. How's that? smile
Posted By: greydog Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20
That is an exceptionally nice HVA. I really like the treatment at the bolt release. I am in the middle of building a fullstock 35 Whelen and had not decided yet how to deal with the bolt stop. I might have to try this. GD
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by jorgeI

C'mon, there must be a flaw there somewhere I've overlooked!
Originally Posted by pacecars
unless it is the lighting or the angle but that sure looks like a large ring up front to me

edited to add that i dont see a step up from the other side so I guess it is just an optical illusion

Pace cars, I believe the Husky commercial actions were Type IV, standard length, small ring, small shank, long magazine.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20
I should have looked at the left side before commenting I do believe you are right
Posted By: pal Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

The engraving makes it too fancy for me, but the stock is superb.
Posted By: HalH Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20
That's one of the nicest I've seen in awhile.
1st time I've ever seen a star in the checkering.
Figure in the wood and stock layout is over the top.
Before seeing the price, I thought it would be close to ten grand.

You been good this year, surprise yourself for Christmas and buy it.

Hal
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20
Nice chunka wood, but $4900 for a 270?
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/26/20

The leupold.
grin
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

The leupold.
grin

Ha!

Aside from the lack of bottom metal, not sure how I feel about that bolt release.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/27/20
Your asking on the Campfire for us to talk you out if it? 😂😂😂😂😂
No....seriously buy it...now!
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/27/20

As much as I love the pre-64 Winchester 70, custom small ring Mausers hold a special place in my safe.

Not thrilled it lacks custom bottom metal, but that walnut and checkering are exquisite.

No, don't do it.

There you go, I tried.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/27/20
Well it is a .270
Posted By: iskra Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/27/20
The only "flaw" I can conjure, as so often in my instance, the disparity, as said, between champagne tastes and beer budget... smile
It is a beauty, no doubt and I do fully appreciate the Husqvarna action. Add 270 Win, also great!

he bottom metal... 'Might' be a problem IF the later production "alloy" metal. Such rifle particularly, just not looking right wearing scratched up bottom metal, to which alloy is especially heir! Buddies not likely buying into touting of "nouveau art engraving".
That and the original earlier steel bottom metal configurations don't swap! See 'da pix! First the narrower steel with the "cracker "jack box" appearance, yet fully functional, spring steel floorplate release. Yet my estimation, better than the later alloy style below!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Attached picture R276-9U.jpg
Attached picture R335-5.jpg
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/27/20

Buy it!
Posted By: Jkob Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/27/20
Ain't nobody does checkering like Goudy!
Posted By: RinB Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/27/20

Jkob
His checkering is very good but he isn’t Monty Kennedy.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/27/20
I would be no help.
What would it cost to have that built 3x the price?
My work here is done
Good luck,
Ed
Posted By: greydog Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

The leupold.
grin

Ha!

Aside from the lack of bottom metal, not sure how I feel about that bolt release.

That bolt release/ejector is what comes on the Husqvarna. The spring is a weakness but the actual stop/ejector is not terrible. Not as good as a 98 but not awful. I adapted FN bottom metal to the one I'm working on now. It was a bit of a chore but worked out ok. I wish I could checker like that but, alas, I cannot. GD
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/27/20
Have 2 of the small ring HVA's both 270 win , alloy bottom metal yes with lighter barrel contour. Between the 2 of them I have $700 in them $350 each. You can't buy that kinda smooth new today for that kind of money these days. MB
Posted By: okie john Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/28/20
I’ve been looking hard at the custom rifle market lately. I see a lot of very nice rifles in the $2,500 range and I feel like they’re slightly under priced. Something like this, with truly nice wood and checkering, is grossly underpriced just because it’s an HVA action with a blind magazine. Blackburn bottom metal would add another $1,000 to the price, as would a Mauser bolt stop.

The fact that it’s a 270 is only a problem at 24hourcampfire.com.

I think it’s a solid buy if it’s what you want. I also think that it won’t retain value like a similar rifle on a true 98 or Winchester Model 70 action.

Okie John
Posted By: Sheister Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/28/20
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be much help on this. That wood just makes me drool and the checkering is first class in the style and execution... my picky nits would be so small I'm not sure worth mentioning, but the one thing I do notice is he checkered well into the palm well on the right side of the stock. I've never liked to feel anything under my hand in that area when mounting a rifle even if there was wrap around checkering on the wrist, but that is just me.... the execution on this rifle is just about perfect and IMO, well worth the price....
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/28/20
Whoa! That’s gorgeous. Congratulations on your new rifle 😁
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/29/20
The only reason to try to talk you out of it is so I could buy it.

Fabulous rifle..............jump on it & enjoy.

MM
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/29/20
Sorry, you’re just going to have to buy it. Don't see a way out unless you wanna ask your wife what she thinks about it. 😱
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/29/20
Ha!

My wife has never had a word to say about my hobbies.

When we married I told her I spend money on guns, hunting and women, and that two of those three would continue post nuptials grin

I think this rifle is falling into the category of almost perfect, but not quite.

It will probably go to another caretaker.

Posted By: Border Doc Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/29/20

Originally Posted by SS336

"You're", but that is my feeling also. What a piece of lumber on that gorgeous rifle! If you don't grab it, one of your buddies will, quickly.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/29/20
I'm the worlds worst enabler, so don't ask me!

That is a spectacular piece of walnut. Goudy also built a blind magazine rifle that doesn't have weird shape to it like some rifles I've seen.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/29/20
My wife is pretty easy going about my “investments” too, but reserves the right to laugh at me about them, especially when more “bullets” arrive on the doorstep, which to her actually means any smallish heavy package, regardless of actual contents.

That one’s a stunner, but out of my comfort zone for something that would never make it out of the house. I picked up a nice old custom last Spring, but only have $800 in it and someone else already broke it in. It’s ready to go when its turn comes.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/29/20
I would never take that rifle hunting.

Therefore, I would not buy it.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/29/20
No bottom metal, no thank you.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/29/20
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
I would never take that rifle hunting.

Therefore, I would not buy it.

I'd take it still hunting in the Adirondacks.

During fair weather smile
Posted By: sidepass Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/30/20
Stunning rifle , and I would hunt it.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Talk me out of this. - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by SS336

True.
Like going to a bar and asking to be talked out of having a beer!
laugh
Posted By: efw Re: Talk me out of this. - 12/07/20
I’d seriously consider buying that rifle if it were a .30-06. Nothing against the .270 at all, just not something that scratches any itch for me.

Other than that I can find no flaw in that rifle. I love the blind mag as simplicity & light weight are handy characteristics in a hunting rifle.

Don’t care for the engraving but it wouldn’t stop me. That’s a decent price for that level of custom!
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Talk me out of this. - 12/07/20
It's a VERY nice rifle and if it were mine I'd hunt it thats what it was made for. I don't like the blind magazine but that can be remedied at a later date if you wanted to. I just took delivery of a custom #1 so I'm out of the picture. IMHO it's a fair price
Posted By: slowmover12 Re: Talk me out of this. - 12/12/20
Great rifle. Enough said other than someone needs to buy it.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Talk me out of this. - 12/12/20
You guys aren't helping by bumping this thread.

Now I went and looked at that stock again.

cool

© 24hourcampfire