Home
Posted By: Mauser06 Straight wall m700??? - 12/06/20
So...I started hunting Ohio this season. I didn't realize straight wall cartridges were legalized....I used a 50cal Encore muzzleloader barrel. Worked great.

I can use the Encore muzzleloader.

I can get other barrels for the Encore.

But....I have an interesting idea. Lol.

I have an SPS Varmint 22-250. Barrel is about done. So I have a donor m700 SA.

I have a Browns Precision Pound'r.

I can get "Remage" prefits.

So....take the parts I have...screw on a barrel...have a very unique m700sa Ohio legal rifle.

Probably go as short/light on the barrel as I can.

Anyone ever do it?

Anyone know my options for the standard bolt face? If there are any? Figured I might as well go big....cause why not? Lol .458" bullet?

Only hiccups to my idea is bolt face and possibly feeding issues. So that's why I'm here. Seems like a fun solution to a problem solved by easier means.

Considered a Ruger American Ranch in 450 Bushmaster...just can't stand cheap plastic stocks. That's how I ultimately dreamed up this possible project.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 12/06/20
How about a 50-70 barrel? That would be interesting.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Straight wall m700??? - 12/06/20
Probably the easiest and most cost efficient would be to get a .450 Bushmaster barrel, same rim diameter and plenty of factory ammo on the market. Several companies offer "Remage" (barrel nut type) barrels to make it a DIY build.
Posted By: bcp Re: Straight wall m700??? - 12/07/20
I haven't been keeping up with cartridge development, but two that come to mind are 44 Auto Mag and 444 Marlin Rimless.

Bruce
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 12/07/20
Thanx guys!

Doing more research, it seems the 450 Bushmaster is probably the way to go. I can't figure out if they feed well or need modified at all....but other guys have done it and a couple complains build them on m700 actions.

I think it'd make good use of the parts I have sitting here. All I need is a barrel. Screw it on and go.

Solving a problem I don't really have lol. Typical gun guy....
Posted By: micky Re: Straight wall m700??? - 12/08/20
Have JES rebore it.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 12/08/20
The barrel on the action now is a heavy remington varmint profile. Not what I want on a deer rig.

The Remage prefits aren't horrible in price.

I have an email onto McGowen to get the dimensions of the barrel nut. I wanna make sure I can accommodate it with the little Brown's Precision Pound'r. As long as I can fit it in the stock, I will probably order it in 450 Bushmaster. Probably 18" and as light of profile as they'll go.

Should make a neat little practical deer hammer for me....and I bought the action and stock so long ago the only cost I feel like I have is the barrel. Lol.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 12/08/20
I did almost the same thing, I wanted a straightwall cartridge bolt action for Ohio this was before the 350 was out and i wanted to be able to use factory ammo.

I had a rifle i had built a few years back in 22-250 that the barrel was shot out, it was a Stiller Predator action in a McMillan rem hunter stock I really liked that setup.

So I ordered a Pacnor 20 twist 22" barrel in the same contour to fit the McMillan and had a local smith chamber it for the 450 Bushmaster using a bugnut from bugholes.

It has HS DBM bottom metal i had to play around with the mags to get it to feed good, I'm shooting the 200gr Barnes xpb for the 460 at 2700+ fps for a little over a inch at 100 yards i havent killed a deer with it yet but our season isnt over.
Rich, that sounds like a dandy!! I don't wanna go full custom....as much as I love my Kelblys Atlas Tactical...I have the m700 to use.....I'd LOVE a DBM...but I don't know that I will get one in the Browns Pound'r. I also have it to use...and it'll make a nice little rifle.

They got me dimensions today. Will be no probably to fit the barrel nut in the stock. They said I have to stay at .700" at the muzzle. But with a .450 hole in it and 18" it should be light enough and balanced pretty decent.

When you shoot a deer, I'd be real interested in pics and details. I was leaning towards the Barnes 250s. But didn't realize they made 200s.

Like I said...I'm solving a problem I don't really have lol. Love big thumpers and will surely use it in PA too....
McGowen Remage was just ordered.

Sounds like 2-3 months before I have it.

I went with 18" and 1-16" twist. I don't wanna run into an issue where longer bullets won't stabilize.

Kind of excited about this. Should be a little hammer.

Makes use of parts that are otherwise collecting dust.

Need to look at bottom metal options. Factory BDL now...like I said, there's not much meat to work with on the Pound'r so not sure I have any other options.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 12/08/20
I picked up a couple of 18" 16 twist threaded barrels for a Savage on 6br for my brother and myself just for heavy bullet subsonic loads with a can and screwed one on a Savage 10 action that was a 308 with a blind magazine and it feeds just fine with the factory FTX, I haven't tried it with the with the big blunt cast bullets yet maybe this weekend, yours may feed as a BDL
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 12/09/20
I hope so! If it's gunna be a single shot, I'd have just bought an Encore barrel lol.
Posted By: killahog Re: Straight wall m700??? - 01/18/21
Rich. How did you use the Stiller action that was chambered in 22-250 that has a .473 bolt face for a 350 legend that uses a .378 bolt?.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 01/19/21
Killahog, Rich is running a 450BM, not a 350 Legend.
Posted By: dSmith_45 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 01/19/21
Consider a .458 American 2"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458%C3%972-inch_American

Brass can be made from any standard belted magnum

Edit: reread the original post -- short action -- so -- Bushmaster

Edit again: There is also the .45 Raptor that is essentially a rimless .460 S&W. You would not have to worry about getting a rebated rim cartridge to feed and eject properly.
Posted By: killahog Re: Straight wall m700??? - 01/19/21
Originally Posted by Mauser06
Killahog, Rich is running a 450BM, not a 350 Legend.

Now it makes sense. Thanks
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 01/20/21
D Smith, I went with 450BM....I had a reason for not going with the Raptor...but I can't remember what that was now lol.

The raptor looks to be a smidge faster. But, for my uses, I can't see that ever making a difference.

I was able to scrounge up dies, powder and brass. Have primers. Waiting on the barrel. Probably at least least few more weeks yet. Pretty excited to get it all together. I think its gunna make a cool little hammer.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Straight wall m700??? - 01/20/21
Originally Posted by dSmith_45
Consider a .458 American 2"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458%C3%972-inch_American

While the .458 American is an efficient and useful cartridge, brass must be made... And can be formed from any magnum belted cartridge. The down side of that is that if brass is made from .300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag, then the brass is headstamped and since it is a 2.5" cartridge, then the .458x2" cartridge can be fired in it. (with disastrous results.) One may not always own said rifle. And at some point in the future said rifle could cause serious injuries or death to some unsuspecting soul.

I have a .458x2" and I intend to destroy it before I die. The .450 bushmaster is practically the same ballistics with the advantage of being able to use factory ammo.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/04/21
Update.

Got the Mcgowen barrel today! Looks great. Nice clean rifling and chamber. Cerakote job looks great too.

18" seems awful short lol.

Weighs in at 2lb 1oz.

Figured bare rifle will be in the 5.5lb range.

Not going to lie...I sorta forgot about it lol. I remember a few times I was looking for action wrenches and barrel vices and got busy....and have since forgotten to order them lol.

I want to get the barrel off and send the action out. At least getting cerakoted. Probably a nice little bolt knob. Maybe some fluting.

Speaking of action wrenches. I gotta check my invoice and the box...90% sure I ordered a wrench of the barrel nut...
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/04/21
You know your on trouble when you can't remembered what you ordered...
Dave
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/04/21
Lol...checked into the action wrench for the barrel nut. It was on the original invoice. But somewhere along the line, it came off and I didn't pay for it...so I will have to order a savage wrench too.

Will need the vise and m700 wrench to swap barrels on the Kelbly too...so a worthwhile purchase. If it was just 1 barrel, I'd just have someone pull it off for me.

Did find a place that rents out gauges so I can set the headspace once the m700 comes back from its face-lift.

Have a bolt release coming for my Bix n Andy Dakota so I can use it on this rifle.

Just gotta decide on bottom metal. Someone has a black cerakoted BDL on here that would look good on it. Don't know that I wanna spend over $300 for the HS Precision DBM and be stuck paying the price for their mags...which likely won't be available forever.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/04/21
I would like a 7600 ohio legal.

-Jake
Posted By: efw Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/06/21
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I would like a 7600 ohio legal.

-Jake

For sure that’d be sweet in 450 BM or 350 Leg
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/06/21
That'd be interesting. Probably not out of the realm of possibilities either.

I used to love my remmy pumps but have left them due to weight. Even my ghost ring carbine 35 Whelen is a bit heavy.

I do a lot of walking...still hunting..tracking. I don't even put a sling on my rifles to make sure it's always in my hands and ready. I went to a Kimber Montana I had rebored to 358win. With the right ring height on the Montana, she comes up even faster than the pump guns. And doesn't feel like it recoils nearly as bad. The Monte Carlo stocks beat me up. My straight stocked carbine gun feels better.

This build is going to be close in weight. A little heavier but still looking at 6.5lbs scoped. And importantly, Ohio legal.
Posted By: iskra Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/07/21
Off main point perhaps, on the .450 barrel subject. Moreover, I'd sure like to tap into the apparent expertise here!!! Evaluations if possible please!

Two very unique .450 barrels! Products of the now long defunct Sharon Gun Specialties Co of Sonora, California. To recollection x 16" rifling. Essentially, vintage NOS: "new old stock". Never threaded or chambered. Their exteriors make them quite special. Very much classic & traditional European sporter profiles. Each beginning with 3" round chamber areas... One, half octagon to round, full ribbed, presently about 29" length. The other, tapered octagon with elevated quarter rib continuing normal taper, presently about 27" length. Lot of precision detailed work there! Yet in the white.

I purchased these decades ago, from the Sharon folks at a small gun show in their area. (Notation on the back of their business card I'm just viewing, $100 each to fit, polish, chamber and install.) These barrels aren't flyweight! But professionally proportioned to heavy chambering sporter use. I'd always featured building a couple of pre '64 Model 70 action custom rifles. But "as ways lead to ways..."

No instant plans to sell. Just trying to get an idea of possible: a. chambering adaptations & b. value as is for custom build-outs.

Any observations concerning possible chamberings & relative value as is, would be highly appreciated!

Best & Thanks for help!
John

Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/07/21
John, biggest thing is finding out if it's. 452" or .458" I'd bet its. 458" as thats the common diameter for rifle barrels.

Bushmaster, 460s&w and such, are .452" because they are considered pistol rounds.

That'd determine your clambering choices.

Good luck!
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/10/21
What's the latest on the 450 build?
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/10/21
Action wrench and vise are being delivered any minute. Will try to get the barrel off after work and in the mail tomorrow.

Once I get shipping notification that the action is on its way home, I will order the headspace gages.

Once it's together, bedding and paint.

Load development will take a bit I'm sure. All I have is 300gr Speer Deep Curls. And we all know the bullet situation. I do have dies, powder, primers and brass. Just not the bullets I WANT to hunt with...though I will if I need to. A 300gr deep curl at 2k or so will flatten most critters I'm sure.

So, it's gunna be a bit. But coming along.

Still have to decide on bottom metal too. I think I'm back to sticking with some form of BDL.
Keep us updated. I have a handful of straight wall rifles for Iowa deer. One is the BM in a Ruger Ranch. I've used the 450 the past two years with 250 Hornady FX and they have worked pretty well with Lil Gun but another straight wall on bolt gun sounds appealing...especially one with less plastic! smile
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/10/21
Thats where this was born. I'm not a savage or ruger fan. They work. I just can't warm up to them.

And, I've had everything except the barrel collecting dust.
Yep-I hear you. As a NR I probably shouldn't care as I can only draw every other year or so, but I take almost as much satisfaction in the gun as the hunt...well, almost. I too, have a varmint weight 700 that could be a candidate. This is a VS that could be sent to JES, I suppose, but wonder how heavy it would be shortened with a big hole bored out.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/16/21
Honestly, you'd probably be better off to go a route I did with a Remage barrel nut deal. McGowen, Criterion, NSS etc do them. A little extra cost opposed to a rebore. But you can choose the contour and everything...I don't have a ton of money in the barrel. I upgraded to stainless and had it cerakoted and I'm pretty sure I was in the 300-400$ range.

I FINALLY got the barrel off the action today. That sucker was on there.

Somewhere my math was a little heavy. I came out to 6lb 2oz without the trigger, mag box and action bolts. Should finish out right around 6 1/4lbs. Shoulders great. Handy little sucker. Balance is nice. Half my hand is on the bottom of the mag. So that probably means I'm sticking with a BDL setup.

Made up a dummy round and made sure it'll function. It feeds and ejects just like it aughta.

Action will get sent out this week. Probably going to have my bottom metal and scope base/rings cerakoted to match the barrel. Can't stand 8 shades of black. Lol.
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/17/21
Do you recall what McGowen contour you went with?...I believe you indicated the muzzle needed to be .700"
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/17/21
#3 and in the notes I put "I would like as light of a profile as possible. I spoke with someone via phone who told me to order a #3 contour"

They did tell me .700-710" for the muzzle due to the bore diameter. In their notes during the review process it says "McGowen #3 contour approximately. 705" at the muzzle"

I'm not sure if that is why the profile is slightly off at the chamber area or if the stock was made for a barrel with a bigger chamber area. There's a bit of a gap on each side of the channel there...enough I am going to fill it when I bed it. I bought the stock used...just because of the price. So, no big deal..I can bed it and give her a new paint job and it'll look like a brand new rifle...

I'm considering having them make me another barrel for the rig. Something fun to shoot in the off season. I think that'd be fun...good training. Lightweight rigs are definitely different to shoot.
Have you been able to get an idea of balance with it put together? With the light Brown stock, that should help. Interesting idea with the nut-having a switch-barrel rig. I like that.
Yep. Only thing I didn't put in was the actual mag box and the trigger..so...2 or 3 ounces..

Balance point is just forward of the bottom metal. To carry in 1 hand I have a finger or 2 on the bottom metal. Feels really good in the hand and comes right up to the shoulder and eye.

Have a vx3 2.5-8x36 on top in a DNZ Game Reaper medium height. Scope sits a bit above bore but I learned on my Kimber Montana that I like a medium opposed to low or extra low. Thatll probably be how it stays. I like that scope and mount and have used them for years without issue.

I kinda fell into the Remage deal. It was a cheap no gunsmith option. I want a custom rifle without a custom price lol. And, I like working on guns so having the tools and learning just leads to future projects. I have about double the price in a shouldered Bartlein. Comparing apples to mangos I know. But from a price prospective, that's what it shook out to. Don't need a match grade barrel for this build.

Think it'd be fun and good practice to work on steel out to 1k with a different barrel on this rig. I'm really considering it. Gotta kick around clambering options. Somewhere between. 243 and 284. Really leaning towards a 6 dasher or something as thatll likely be my next barrel for my precision rig. I know I'd left likely be single feeding the BR variants. That's OK for a fun range rig to shoots while the other rifle cools.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/17/21
That sounds like a wicked project. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots and functions for you.
Yes sir...a pic or two would be nice as well. smile
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Couple pics of it roughed together.

Like I said, the weight is still minus the trigger, mag box and action bolts...so maybe a couple ounces off.

Looks like a heavier barrel....till you see the hole in the end. Lol. Cool little rifle. Going to play around with paint and texture. That's important to me and my hunting style...being able to grip the rifle. Nothing worse than a slippery gun.
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/18/21
Whoa...that looks nice! So much nicer than my plastic 450.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/18/21
Should turn out to be a nice little rifle. Gotta try to call twisted barrel tomorrow and see if they'll do the action work and cerakote. I wanna have a nice little bolt knob put on, skelatonize the bolt handle, flute or dimple the bolt..then cerakotethe action and scope mount all to match the barrel..nothing that'll make a bit of difference...just give it a custom look.

That action is when Remington had some finish issues. That sucker liked to rust. I think it was the matte finish. I have it about worn off and it doesn't rust anymore lol.

Gotta call Bix N Andy back too. Ordered a bolt release for my Dakota trigger and haven't gotten it. They made it sound as if it was going right out.
Sounds an awful lot like a "full custom" to me! smile
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/18/21
Lol. Helps being I've had the action for 15 years and got the stock cheap. Figured it NEEDS a new finish to help prevent future rust...and while it's there, might as well get a little face lift.

Trigger came off my precision rig. Kelblys had a deal going on with their action action the Dakota trigger. I snagged a TacSport Pro for that rifle and will put the Dakota on this one lol.

Definitely doesn't have a full custom price tag which is always nice!

I scan here and other sites a few times a day. If I see something I know is a good buy and I can use it...I snag it. I had no use for a Brown's Precision Pound'r when I bought it. But I knew to have a new one made was going to cost several times more. So I threw it on the shelf. Lol
Helps when you use the "installment plan". I have/had several Brown stocks but never their Pounder. That was a very nice stock to have waiting on the shelf.
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/19/21
Awesome build Mauser. I like it. Blessings and big bucks to you
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/26/21
Leadminer, the installment plan works out well for me...I also am not afraid of buying used when applicable. I'm going to use it. What do I care if someone else did? Lol. Obviously not always applicable but that Pound'r was used. I know how to relieve bedding and bed my own actions. No cracks or anything. No brainer for me.

Thanx gaschekt! Should be a neat little critter gitter!

I finally decided on the last pieces of the puzzle today....ordered Hawkins aluminum oberndorf bdl bottom metal. New box, spring, follower and screws.

Decided on the action face-lift. Probably won't get it shipped till Monday though. Looked for a box today and couldn't find one. Going to have everything cerakoted to match the barrel. Including the DNZ Game Reaper mount. For some reason that DNZ has a blue hue to it. None of my others do. I can't stand 19 shades of black on a gun.

Another month or so and she'll be finished.

Going to play with some paint ideas while it's away. I won't paint till its back and I bed it...but I have a few ideas I wanna play with. Function is Taking precedence over looks. But I'd like to get both.
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/26/21
Good going! It appears you are pretty confident on the BDL feeding. I can only get a limited idea of feeding since I have not done the re-barrel yet. Like you posted at the beginning, not interested in a single shot bolt rifle.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 03/27/21
The BDL was feeding fine with empty brass and a dummy round I made up. I should have tried 3 or 4 dummy rounds...but it didn't hesitate at all.

I carry my rifle too much for it to not be comfortable. A protruding magazine wouldn't suite me at all. My rifle is always I my hand ready to hammer one as I'm sneaking through the woods.

The Hawkin metal is supposed to be high quality and it's super light.

Anxious to get it together and shooting!
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 04/02/21
Action sent out yesterday. Should have it back in a couple weeks.

Got my bottom metal. Going to take a smidge of inletting.

Stock is sanded and shot with primer.

Going to Inlet the bottom metal...when the action is back, I will bed it and the bottom metal...clean it back up, sand it back, prime again and paint her.

Gotta order my headspeace gauges today so I have them.
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Straight wall m700??? - 04/02/21
Keep at it....you're getting there!
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 07/02/21

Little sneak peak....

Haven't fires it yet. Maybe this week. A have 20-30 mild loads ready to shoot.

Ran into a stock painting mishap and had to strip it and start over. Ran into another mishap but "saved" it. I wasn't redoing it lol. I like how it turned out.

Coming in at about 6 1/4. Not too shabby for a m700.

Little miscommunication between me and Twisted Barrel. .he called and asked if I wanted it coated before or after milling. I knew I wanted the bolt and knob work to be silver...didn't consider the stabbed action... I will have someone local coatbthe slabs. Both sides are stabbed off the receiver and left bare shiny steel. They will look better all black. I didn't do those for looks...but they took off a good bit of weight/steel.

Gotta tweak the mag box yet. Fed dummy rounds without a hitch. But that was before getting new bottom metal and modifying the stock. I'm confident I can get it back to feeding fine though.

Nice handy little thumper.
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Straight wall m700??? - 07/02/21
Well done...looking good!
Posted By: pullit Re: Straight wall m700??? - 07/02/21
Nice,
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Straight wall m700??? - 07/05/21
I really like that both in concept and construction
If you find that scope is a bit high original Weaver low rings and bases work great with that action and scope combo
Posted By: MoranoGrande Re: Straight wall m700??? - 07/05/21
Mauser06,
Nice looking rifle!

You mind describing the paint process to achieve that pattern.
Really has a nice look!

Thanks
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 07/05/21
Thanx guys!

Castle Rock, the scope is high....but I've learned from my Kimber Montana that is where I like em on these rifles. I am a NE still hunter and tracker. I spend my days on my feet slinking through the timber. Shots are close and fast. I found the scope sitting higher with the straight comb just really works for me and snap shooting. Basically like a shotgun for me. If I shoulder it, I'm looking through glass and crosshairs on target. Took me a lot of scratching my head to get there. We all "know" scopes go as low as possible....lol.

Morano, I started with a textured spray paitlnt. I think Rustoleum. The stuff is difficult to spray because it's thick and has grit in it. I shot it a base color and still decided to try adding some other colors of it. Tried the leaf shadow trick. Fail. Tried covering that up by random sprays of different colors...fail.

First time I painted it, It smacked my arm while I tried to move it and it smudged horribly. I had to strip it. I knew after that I was NOT redoing it...it does NOT come off without a fight. Chemicals and work.

So I did what I could with a couple different colors to blend it. It looked OK but kinda plain. If you look close at the base coat, you can see 3 different colors. A greenish, a darker reddish brown and a lighter tannish color..

Thats where the black came from. Decided to sponge it. I think they came from Walmart crafts section. They sell bags of small pieces of sponge. Regular black spray paint on the sponge and random dabs of it.

Good primer before and a couple shots of matte clear after.

Everyone keeps telling me how it'll be a great gun for my Ohio trips. But it'll kill more deer in PA than Ohio lol. I've killed a fair number of whitetails and have yet to shotnone beyond about 75yds. The 450 bushy will hammer them.

Was hoping on a Barnes TTSX....but haven't seen them available yet. I snagged 500 300gr Speer Deep Curls cheap. No doubt they'll hammer deer...even if they don't expand haha. Will get her to the range soon. Have 20-30 low end H110 loads worked up to get some rounds through it. Just got a lot of hobbies...and "life" lol.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Straight wall m700??? - 07/05/21
👍
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 07/12/21
Shot somewhere around 25rds through her today. Used a mild load of h110 with 300gr deep curls.

The recoil isn't bad. Its....interesting. It doesn't feel like anything else. It doesn't hurt...I don't even know that it bruised my shoulder. The recoil pad is rubber but it's fairly hard. When it was cloudy, I could see the fireball coming out of the muzzle lol.

She seems to be a shooter too. I was only shooting 50yds but put around 15 rounds into 1 big hole without effort. I was trying to figure out why my labradar wouldn't work right. I am blaming that bench. It was pretty wobbly...

All in all, I'm happy! Feels good and is looking like she'll shoot well.
Posted By: Johnsclist Re: Straight wall m700??? - 08/01/21
Thought I would share my straight-wall bolt action. Well used Remington 600 formerly in 222 rebarrelled to 350 Legend. 21” barrel for a little less “bark” and a Vortex strike force because that happened to be what I had on the shelf and the magnification and 30mm tube lent itself well to the application. Looking forward to Ohio deer season with this lightweight shooter.
Picture in link:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/166287.jpeg
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Straight wall m700??? - 08/01/21
That is nice...
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 08/18/21
Figured the labradar out today. Gotta be on handgun mode to pick up the slow loads. Higher loads I had to switch back to rifle mode. Odd. You'd think it'd pick it up regardless. But it doesn't.

Still running 300gr Deep Curls. Got them upto about 1900fps and didn't see pressure signs. Definitely a thumper. All loads I've ran seem to shoot well.

I did find 250gr TTSX bullets today. Providing they shoot, that's what I will be hunting with.

Not sure if it's the Dillon powder drops of just nature of the round...ES and SDs are large. Not that it'll ever make a difference for my work. Will run my V3 when I get serious just to see. For what it is, I won't get too carried away with load development. I'll be happy with a couple inches at 100. I've killed a few deer and have yet to shoot one further than about 75yds....which is why I have small, lightweight big ole heavy hitters in the closet. They fit my hunting style perfectly.

Pulled the stock off just to check my bedding. That recoil in that little stock...I wanted to make sure nothing was cracking or anything. Good and tight and all looks good.
Posted By: 9point3 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 08/19/21
IMy brother and I built a 45x45 45 cal 45mm long We used a 700 long (all I had) I use a regular belted mag case cut down to 1.75 inches 325 Hornady at 2200 is plenty for Mich deer
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 08/20/21
That reminds me. I gotta tweak the mag still to get it to feed.

I think I have it though. I had it feeding empty brass no problem. Now it's going halfway and jamming loaded rounds...when I had it feeding, it was before the new bottom metal and stock slimming. I have to grind the down to actually fit. I think its biding and the spring/follower/rounds aren't doing what they should. I have a few followers and boxes to tinker with.

Anyone have ideas on feeding?
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Straight wall m700??? - 09/07/21
Well, if I had of started here I may have saved some time. Playing with a .430 based on the 400 Whelen case from Quality Cartridge. The QQ 400 Whelen is blown out straight. .473 from rim to mouth. The .430 Hornady 265 gr FTX drops right in the case. We ran it through a 444 Marlin die and it fits nice. While playing, I saw a box of 225 grain Hornady .451's, for my friends Bushmaster on the shelf. They fit the QQ 400 Whelen case perfect. So, may shift gears and try the .451.

Back to our first attempt at the .430 version, we trimmed the case to 2.25" and seated the 265 grain FTX to the canalure. It fit's our Savage 99 C magazine perfect. Snapped it into a 99C and the bolt pics the cartridge up and pushes it forward smooth as silk, lined up dead on the bore. Any suggestions? We are about to punch a hole in a piece of steel and call it our test barrel.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Straight wall m700??? - 09/07/21
The magazine holds 3 rounds, the two rounds above are dummies slapped together on short order. They are not perfect, yet.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 11/10/21
Joe, sounds interesting! Be interested to see where you end up!

So I'm all settled. Gun feeding like a champ and shooting like a champ. Never had to do any tweaking of the mag box or anything.

Getting ready for my Ohio trip. Today is one of the last days I'm not working or hunting before then so figured I'd hit the range 1 last time.

I worked up a load with the 250gr TTSX a couple weeks ago....never got to pressure. But got to plenty of speed and recoil. Lol. Didn't shoot it at 100 though. Was running 2rds looking at groups and chrono numbers and pressure. All the load data is for ARs and anemic at best so I was on somewhat uncharted territories with some good info from guys that have already paved the way.

Zeroed the load at 50 no problem.

First 2 shots at 100 went about an inch and a half high.

6 clicks down. 2 in the center.

I was very pleased. Pretty impressive shooting considering the rifle is just over 6lbs.

I pondered the trajectory. For my purposes, I opted to add 2 clicks up. Puts me a half inch high at 100 and a half inch low at 50. If that makes a difference in my life and not the deers, something is wrong! Figure I can hold dead on and not have to think about it for my uses.

I have the 250gr TTSX doing 2350fps from a 18" barrel. Should yield impressive results on game.

Hopefully I can post some performance updates in a few weeks!
Mauser,

Great looking rifle.

Not limited to a certain cartridge here where I live, but it's tempting to do something like yours anyway.

Jerry
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Straight wall m700??? - 11/11/21
Turned out to be a heck of a little rig.

To stock was a big find. I saved a lot of money when I found it.

Will be a great rifle for my hunting needs.
© 24hourcampfire