Home
Was just browsing Stocky’s website, and noticed there are NO Bell and Carlson stocks on there, anymore. What happened??
FWIW, I think Red Hawk Rifles dropped B&C stocks about a year or two ago, as well....
Hmmmm.... Wonder what’s going on??? Is this due to some “quality issue”, I wonder, or just some spat between retailers and manufacturers?? Strange...
Saw the same thing but B&C web site shows there stocks at Stockys pricing. Like there Tikka LH stocks.
With so many good options out there, I can't imagine a scenario where B&C would be my first choice.
Originally Posted by liliysdad
With so many good options out there, I can't imagine a scenario where B&C would be my first choice.

Well, how many of those “good options” are less than $300 (like the B&C)??

We can argue that an HS Precision, McMillan, etc, are better quality, but McMillan’s start at $625, and HS’s start at about $400.

I was just wondering why Stocky’s no longer carried them....
www.bellandcarlson.com

I like the Weatherby style Medalist for 2nd tier short action Howa 1500s and the discontinued stock that they made for the Interarms Mini-Mauser. B&C's price is the same as Stocky's was charging, $285.
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Hmmmm.... Wonder what’s going on??? Is this due to some “quality issue”, I wonder, or just some spat between retailers and manufacturers?? Strange...

Redhawk actually printed a statement as to why they dropped B&C. They said it was over B&C's poor handling of honoring warranties.

B&C better wakeup if they care. They lost Redhawk, now it seems Stocky's, but that's not known as they may have decided to go dealer direct or something. Plus, for the time being they're not selling to Remington.

Thin ice.
Originally Posted by gunzo

Redhawk actually printed a statement as to why they dropped B&C. They said it was over B&C's poor handling of honoring warranties.

B&C better wakeup if they care. They lost Redhawk, now it seems Stocky's, but that's not known as they may have decided to go dealer direct or something. Plus, for the time being they're not selling to Remington.

Thin ice.

Is Remington still actually building firearms?

Given their uncertain future, if I was a vendor I'd only sell to them COD.
The Remington firearms section has been sold or is pending if I understand correctly. And with the new owners likely hoping to begin production to create some income ASAP.

Now the tricky word; assuming, the newbies will want to produce a lot of the same models & ride on the Remington brand, if there's anything left of the name.

That's the Remington I now see, the future. The "New Remington"? "Remington 2.0"? It's been done many times in the past with other names.
Originally Posted by gunzo

Thin ice.

I send an email to B&C and received this reply:

"You sure can buy stocks directly through us either via website or over the phone. If you ever need help finding a stock, we would be more than happy to help you. This includes warranty issues.".
Glad to see they are still active. I have one & like the feel of it

Well, how many of those “good options” are less than $300 (like the B&C)??

We can argue that an HS Precision, McMillan, etc, are better quality, but McMillan’s start at $625, and HS’s start at about $400.

Grayboe, for one....Their Outlander and Terrain, which are their more traditional hunting stocks, can be had for $300-325 if you catch a sale from them or Redhawk, but its only $359 normally. Their stocks are leaps and bounds beyond anything I have ever seen or felt from B&C.
If I were a betting man the reason would be B&C made the decision to sell direct to the consumer. It frankly is what most companies are doing. Dealers don’t like it so they move on to other product lines. This is driven by folks expect things in stock and shipped quickly . B&C makes a quality product and I have never encounter a warranty problem.
I’ve ordered the last 2 direct from B&C. They were in stock and shipped very quickly. I think both shipped on the same day or the following day. I’ve ordered probably half a dozen stocks from Stocky’s and have never had one show up as quick as these did.
Just ordered B&C LH one for my Tikka $15 for shipping to Alaska via UPS normal shipping to Alaska via UPS is well over $50!
I have one B&C LH on a LH T3X in 300 WSM nice stock.

Have several older B&C stocks and the new ones are a big improvement over the older ones I have.
Originally Posted by goodshot
If I were a betting man the reason would be B&C made the decision to sell direct to the consumer. It frankly is what most companies are doing. Dealers don’t like it so they move on to other product lines. This is driven by folks expect things in stock and shipped quickly . B&C makes a quality product and I have never encounter a warranty problem.

Interesting that nearly every other major stock manufacturer sells direct, yet dealers still carry their items.
The last B&C I ordered, it was twenty five ish bucks cheaper to order from B&C than Stockys. They said what I ordered was out of stock when I placed the order and I had shipping confirmation in two business days.

Micky

Try being LH and look at options B&C always had a lot of LH options
I've had great luck with B&C. I love McMillan, but twice the price and 10x the wait. With a lot of comp shooters switching to chassis, I wonder if McMillan will eventually feel the pinch.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I've had great luck with B&C. I love McMillan, but twice the price and 10x the wait. With a lot of comp shooters switching to chassis, I wonder if McMillan will eventually feel the pinch.

Mcmillan is doing just fine, as are Manners, Foundation, AG, and all the other more "traditional" stock makers. Chassis usage is actually waning somewhat in many competition circles.

The folks who are really doing well are companies like Grayboe and Mesa who are building a product that is 90% the stock that McMillan and Manners is at barely more cost than B&C.

I have around 70 McMillan stocks, but they continue to increase the prices and are either at, or damn close to, the point where I will no longer buy from them unless the stock is going on a really special rifle. I was particularly annoyed when they sent a flawed stock to me and charged me the shipping cost to return the defective stock and to ship me the replacement stock. I paid an extra $60 to get the stock that I ordered in the first place and while $60 isn't a lot of money, the fact that McM made me pay for their mistake seems like damn poor customer service.
With Grayboe, it's hard to spend McMillan money, and now that's I've discovered AG Composites, even harder.

There has never been a better time to be in the market for a quality stock.

Mcmillan is doing just fine, as are Manners, Foundation, AG, and all the other more "traditional" stock makers. Chassis usage is actually waning somewhat in many competition circles.

The folks who are really doing well are companies like Grayboe and Mesa who are building a product that is 90% the stock that McMillan and Manners is at barely more cost than B&C.

Grayboe *is* a McMillan group company. I don’t see McMillan being too unhappy about their success.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Grayboe *is* a McMillan group company. I don’t see McMillan being too unhappy about their success.

I bet not....along with Mc3, their budget lines are killing it.

I recently bought a chassis. Figured I would give it a try. I wanted another McMillan, but once I priced them out the chassis was like $300 cheaper. It was hard to justify the difference for me personally. I am also building a 6mm rem, and once its done it will most likely wear a B&C. Its not a gun I will probably shoot a lot compared to my steel guns, so hard to pay for a McMillan to sit in the safe most of the time.
I recently bought a chassis. Figured I would give it a try. I wanted another McMillan, but once I priced them out the chassis was like $300 cheaper. It was hard to justify the difference for me personally. I am also building a 6mm rem, and once its done it will most likely wear a B&C. Its not a gun I will probably shoot a lot compared to my steel guns, so hard to pay for a McMillan to sit in the safe most of the time.

Check out Grayboe...
Or AG Composites....
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Or AG Composites....

Thats my current personal favorite, but I didn't figure folks crying about spending more than $300 on a stock were gonna be interested.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Or AG Composites....

Do they inlet for any actions other that Remington 700s, 700 clones, and Roy MK5s?
Looks like AG is only for rem clones.

My 6mm is a savage(I know, not a coveted action). I called McMillan, and after pricing out the stock plus shipping, I was around $750 eek. That was for a hunting stock in camo gel. The add-ons kill, you, its like buying a car and seeing all the extra charges on the buyer's order. I think sling studs, pillars, and recoil pad should come standard on a stock. Puzzling why I have to pay more for that.
Looks like AG is only for rem clones.

My 6mm is a savage(I know, not a coveted action). I called McMillan, and after pricing out the stock plus shipping, I was around $750 eek. That was for a hunting stock in camo gel. The add-ons kill, you, its like buying a car and seeing all the extra charges on the buyer's order. I think sling studs, pillars, and recoil pad should come standard on a stock. Puzzling why I have to pay more for that.

McM sticks it to you with an ala carte menu.

Don't get me wrong, I like the McM Hunter style stocks a lot, but I'm willing to settle for a B&C if the build isn't special enough to justify the additional expense of the McM. I live in a place where I am more likely to see Coopers at the range than parts guns with upgraded after-market barrels and stocks. A lot of younger people seem to think that they will get more value per dollar by buying a production custom rifle like a Cooper in lieu of buying a less expensive rifle and spending the difference on ammo to practice with.

I'm not a tacticool guy, so the quasi sniper rifle stocks don't move me, but the market seems to be going that way and as long as people are willing to pay McM's prices, they will keep raising them until demand plateaus or begins to drop.
Trust me, I really like the McMillan stocks I've owned, but i swear they were $200 less for some reason. Don't recall ever paying $750, not even for an Edge.
Originally Posted by goodshot

Exactly...
I replaced a stock Browning with a B & C and was amazed at the improvement in comfort and accuracy. Yeah it felt a little larger in the hand but the skinny factory job was the problem . I got used to the B and C first time at the range where that gun shot lights out for the first time. I had an offer from the guy next to me on it. Only gripe was I believe I needed a slightly longer trigger guard screw.

Fast forward after listening to detractors I decided to step up to an HS Precision for another rifle. Nice looking and felt more.....solid but required more fitting and the recoil from it was unduly magnified. Terrible pads too. Replaced it with a walnut that has a decelerator and am much happier. I would definitely do another B and C.
Dogcatcher- that walnut I mention in the above post is for my Rem 700 in 6mm. It is a Stocky's walnut with a bedding block and I converted my ADL to a BDL and put in a Trigger tech. Like it way better than that HS Precision.
Nice. I'm excited to play with the 6mm rem. Wanted one since high school, not sure why I waited so long. Too many other guns along the way I suppose.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I replaced a stock Browning with a B & C and was amazed at the improvement in comfort and accuracy. Yeah it felt a little larger in the hand but the skinny factory job was the problem . I got used to the B and C first time at the range where that gun shot lights out for the first time. I had an offer from the guy next to me on it. Only gripe was I believe I needed a slightly longer trigger guard screw.

Fast forward after listening to detractors I decided to step up to an HS Precision for another rifle. Nice looking and felt more.....solid but required more fitting and the recoil from it was unduly magnified. Terrible pads too. Replaced it with a walnut that has a decelerator and am much happier. I would definitely do another B and C.

It's strange that on the 'Campfire the B&C is considered "trailer trash" while at the same time the stocks for the late Remington Ti rifles (made by B&C) were considered the "gold standard". It is indeed a strange world determined by marketing, word of mouth, and trying to keep up with the priciest stocks. Since the weight doesn't matter to me I will continue to use B&C.
M70man,

B&C's normal sporter stock is about 33-34 ozs. but they still offer the Ti stock for R700's, maybe more? I bought one last year for a short action & it's 25 oz. That's Edge weight or dang close, & half the money.
© 24hourcampfire