Home
Posted By: Larsline 221 Fireball Build - 02/19/21
I am wondering if anyone has either used a Remington 700 action or built off a custom action for a 221 Fireball rifle. Interested in repeaters not single shots. They are an easy build.
From my understanding the extractor on a factory .223 bolt face is at the 6 o’clock position and the factory Fireballs are at the 8 o’clock position.
I am going to buy/build a 221 just looking for some advice from someone who has or built a custom one.
If you got one for sale shoot it my way!
Posted By: wagner Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/19/21
2 Cz’s on GB right now😀. They will go high....that’s the easy way. I went the more difficult route. I’m building a .17 FB on a Zermatt origin right now.

Feeding and ejection is definitely an issue with these small cases, that’s why I went with a control round feed to hopefully eliminate these issues. I’ve had to modify the extractor a bit..

I’m feeding with a highly modified aics .223 mag.

You have to like to tinker....
Posted By: dale06 Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/19/21
I had a 221 FB. Built on a R700 action that was a factory 223 action. It would not feed properly and it would not eject empties. I ended up re chambering back to 223. That was an expensive build.
After learning that, I had a 20 VT (221FB necked down to 20 caliber) built on a R700 that was originally a 221 FB. It works great.
Unless you have a R700 action that was factory original 221 or 17 FB, you will have a very unreliable rifle, if you chamber it in a 221 size cartridge.
An alternative is the Sako A1 action. I bought one in 223 and had it rebarreled to 221FB, it functions perfectly.
Posted By: Larsline Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/19/21
Great info on the Sako, I love my Sakos already so I will be on the hunt for anotherAI/L461 223 or 222 for a build. I wonder if the 85XS would work well since it is a controlled feed. I have numerous in that variation.
Exactly what my gun builder told me on the Remingtons.
Posted By: jdunham Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/19/21
I built a 17 Fireball on a 221 Fireball action. The extractor is in a different location on the Fireball actions. Mine feeds OK but it isn't great, not sure I would call it reliable. I have a 20 Vartarg (necked down 221 Fireball) repeater on a Stiller Predator. I built it after seeing Adam Bentley's Vartarg on the same action, he said his fed great. He wasn't lying, mine feeds great also and I am very very happy with it. The predator uses a Sako style extractor on their 223 bolt face actions.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: wagner Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by jdunham
I built a 17 Fireball on a 221 Fireball action. The extractor is in a different location on the Fireball actions. Mine feeds OK but it isn't great, not sure I would call it reliable. I have a 20 Vartarg (necked down 221 Fireball) repeater on a Stiller Predator. I built it after seeing Adam Bentley's Vartarg on the same action, he said his fed great. He wasn't lying, mine feeds great also and I am very very happy with it. The predator uses a Sako style extractor on their 223 bolt face actions.

Both are push feed. Why is the Stiller better? Both fed from a hinged floorplate setup?
Thank you for info on the sako actions. I was misunderstood with labeling of the 85s being a push controlled feed action.
I looked at a couple of custom REM 700 based actions and that is the same info I received from the sales people is that theirs will not have a problem due to the Sako style extractor.
Helpful conversations.
I can't tell you why. I used a 700 Fireball magazine follower and spring on the Stiller which would be apples to apples. They both have BDL bottom metal. I am not saying the 700 doesn't feed because it does but hiccups aren't uncommon with it while feeding. I have no extraction issues. I have never had feeding issues with the Vartarg. It is only a sample of two rifles so take it for what it is worth.
Adam Bentley would be a good guy to talk to about it. He was the owner/gunsmith of Dresden Gun Company but I think he may have closed his doors. He has a ton of experience with the small calibers and lots of experience with the feeding/extraction issues on these rounds. I don't know if he ever posted here, he used to spend a lot of time on http://saubier.com which would be another great place for your question. There is a ton of small caliber experience over there.
I will see if I can look him up, my builder does a lot of small caliber builds but almost exclusively non repeaters for prairie dogs. He has done a couple repeaters but said the feeding was inconsistent and spent too much time on warranty work to make it worthwhile for him with his current methods. They shot great just one time, maybe two in row.
Only other thing I could possibly think would maybe a slight difference in the feed ramps between the Stiller and 700. I would have to take a look when I get home to see if I can see anything with the naked eye. The rifles are almost exactly the same other than that, McMillan Classic stock, same BDL bottom metal and magazine box/follower and spring and barrel contours which are pretty close.

Or maybe I just got lucky with the Stiller rifle. Not usually how my luck goes but maybe this was my lucky rifle. Adam seemed pretty confident it was a reliable blueprint for a Vartarg repeater and that has been my experience. I know this has been kicked around several times on Saubier. Adams rifle is in old threads if you search, probably under "vartarg". Not sure if he talked about the feeding in the thread or if it was in pm's we exchanged.

Bob Green built my Vartarg, but he seems to have fallen off the map in the last 9 months also. Another big small caliber smith.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/19/21
I've had two factory 700s in 221. Wouldn't have another. Save yourself the trouble, find a CZ527 221 and enjoy it. That's what I did. No regrets.
A CZ would be the surefire way to have a 221 repeater that will function reliably, almost guaranteed to shoot. I certainly understand the build bug also.
You guys are killing me with this CZ talk. I’ve thought about em, held em, researched em and always went back on the shelf or in the back of mind. I like a lot of things about them but they just aren’t good looking or feeling to me like the customs, sakos or Remingtons to me.

One more question; Has anyone ever toyed with a Remington 788 for a small caliber build like this?
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/19/21
If you most build from
A 700......have you considered a .222?
Posted By: Grand Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/20/21
I've have a couple of 221 FBs on M700s, one on a .223 receiver, and one on a .221 FB. I love them. But, I'll say this: If you are looking for a fast cycling bolt action, build a .222/223/222 Mag or better yet, a detachable magazine system. The problem is not usually in the feeding, or extraction. The problem is generally with ejection. To make a 221 FB feed well, you need the Rem specific 221 mag box, spring (and keeper clip) and follower. Without these the cartridge will nose dive. These parts can be hard to find and expensive.

A .221FB built on a .223 action will not eject a spent FB case unless the bolt is pulled rearward really fast before the extractor releases the case head. The reason is that the spent case will ride in the bolt lug recess. And because the case is so short, the extractor releases the case head (and disengages the ejector) before the cartridge clears the ejection port. Thus, the spent case drops in the port and has to be removed manually. You will note that a loaded round usually extracts just fine because of the longer OAL. The .221FB/300BLK bolt head resolves this issue by rotating the extractor, which results in the extracted case riding higher above the lug recess inside the receiver.

The first FB I bought used at a local shop. It was custom built on a M700 .223 action, McMillan stock, and 24" Hart Stainless fluted barrel and came with about 500 loaded rounds and a Leupold 4-12 AO scope for $1,000. The owner and his smith got fed up with the feeding and extraction issues and never figured it out. I replaced the mag box spring and follower and it feeds like a champ. My only complaint is that its an ADL, so when it comes time to empty the magazine I have to cycle the rounds. It hammers 40g pills at 3550 fps. Because I reload and FB brass is expensive, I have come to appreciate the fact that it does not fling brass into the brush. Its also nice if you are controlling varmints from a vehicle.

The second one is built on a Stainless .221FB action and feeds and extract just fine.

Cheers
Posted By: Larsline Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/20/21
I have considered the 222 a bit,
Grand I may pick your brain more...I am loving that velocity, must drill critters. All with about 17-18 grains of powder!

I have a fair amount of brass already as I have 2 pistols in 221FB
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/20/21
Grand hit the nail on the head with 221 extraction and 700s. Which is why I eventually gave up on the platform for that round......what is the color pattern on that stock? Appears to be a McMillan classic?

Larsline- 19g-19.5 of RL7 and a 40NBT gives excellent accuracy in my CZ.....woodchucks to javelina and wild pigs have succumbed to that combination.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Grand Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/20/21
KY, it’s a Classic. I found 40vmax and Lil Gun work well for me on small critters. The NBT has a little thicker jacket for larger game.
Posted By: rembo Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/20/21
I've chambered a 221 FB in a 700 223 action and like others have said, it's not worth the trouble. Rechambered the barrel to 223.

Recently I chambered 2 Fireballs on Sako L461/AI actions. Both feed, extract and eject perfectly. Sold one of them.

Do it on a little Sako or buy a CZ 527 in a Fireball and you're done. My first 221 FB was a factory CZ and it was great.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by Grand
KY, it’s a Classic. I found 40vmax and Lil Gun work well for me on small critters. The NBT has a little thicker jacket for larger game.

I thought so.....I love the paint scheme on it

I shoot the 40NBT exclusively in mine....works very well on a lot of things. I agree it's a tougher projectile.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/20/21
Friend had one on a 788 action.

Worked good. Very accurate.
Posted By: Larsline Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/20/21
Thanks Jim, I have an extra one in .223 laying around. They were plain and a little fugly from the factory but it is a stout action and they shoot pretty damn well. It may be a budget build.
I like the talk and the tips it may be Grand’s way or a Sako AI or L461 Action build.
Posted By: JRGunmaker Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/20/21
While I've worked on several Mini X Interarms custom projects, I haven't barreled one in fireball yet. However they have a fixed ejector that only ejects when the bolt is pulled all the way back. Like the Sako actions.
Posted By: Larsline Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/21/21
Another person that had one they were kicking around selling was built on a mini x, said it worked great. Unfortunately he decided not to sell.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/21/21
Hahaha!

The coolest thing I saw as a kid was a 22 Super Jet built on a mini Martini action.

Wasn't far behind a 221.

I currently have a bunch of 221s. Could use a few more.

Yes....the 788 was ugly. It would outshoot my CZ though.

That was with bullets made from spent .22 shells even.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/21/21
Mines a Sako Vixen action. It's like the vixen was made for a Fireball.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/21/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Mines a Sako Vixen action. It's like the vixen was made for a Fireball.

Sounds right.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/21/21
I just finished a 17 Fireball on a Savage single shot action... it feeds and ejects just fine...
Posted By: 65BR Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/21/21
Had a custom 700 by SG&Y that someone originally owned. Shot great. Love the FB but if doing a build today, would seriously look at the 222.

Either are very capable of doing a lot of chores. Good luck on the build. Oh, btw, ejection was not great, nor extraction positive, it was not a 221 originally............

To me, a 222 could be considered a Fireball Improved, without the cool name. My .02
Posted By: Larsline Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/21/21
I love this topic and have gained so much or affirmed what others have told me. I think all this has done though is make me look at 2 builds a 222 and still the 221 Fireball.
Posted By: z1r Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/21/21
I have a Model Seven .300 AAC action currently being built into a .221. Just waiting on a few parts and action wrench.
Posted By: jdunham Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/21/21
Originally Posted by Larsline
I love this topic and have gained so much or affirmed what others have told me. I think all this has done though is make me look at 2 builds a 222 and still the 221 Fireball.

LMAO! Now you’re talkin!
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/21/21
Get really crazy and neck the 222 down to 20 caliber.
Posted By: Jericho Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/21/21
I was talking to a guy a couple of years back that was going to build a 221FB on a Remington M600 action. I havent talked to him in a long time, so I dont know if he completed the build or not.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/23/21
I have a 700 LSS in 221 and if I cycle it slowly it will either just clear the ejection port or fall on the follower. If I operate the bolt a little quicker, not fast, just a little quicker, it cycles as it should. It’s one of my most accurate rifles....as in 10 shots in just a hair over 1/2” with IMR-4227 and 40 Blitzkings.
Posted By: Larsline Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/23/21
Is that gun all factory shooting groups like that? Thanks for the loading tips, have you tried Hodgdon CFE? It seems to bring good results with the Vartarg guys.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/24/21
I'm afraid I'm also going to have to build up a 222 Rem.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/24/21
I have a LVSF 221 that I have in a McMillan Classic. It cycles similar to Navlav’s. Mine shine on AA1680 with 40’s. I load the Sierra 40gr HP and makes a great calling gun. Can’t remember the speed, but don’t give up much to the 223 with this powder.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/24/21
Originally Posted by 65BR
Had a custom 700 by SG&Y that someone originally owned. Shot great. Love the FB but if doing a build today, would seriously look at the 222.

Either are very capable of doing a lot of chores. Good luck on the build. Oh, btw, ejection was not great, nor extraction positive, it was not a 221 originally............

To me, a 222 could be considered a Fireball Improved, without the cool name. My .02

How about the name of Fireball MAGNUM? Would that work out better? or Fireball MAGNUM A.I. ?
Posted By: 65BR Re: 221 Fireball Build - 02/25/21
Sounds Impressive! smile
Posted By: Larsline Re: 221 Fireball Build - 03/09/21
Picked up a L461 action for the build that was originally a .222. If I get it done timely, I will post pictures.
Thank you for all the advice and ideas.
Posted By: dh1 Re: 221 Fireball Build - 03/10/21
Good grab! Here's mine, L461 221 FB.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Larsline Re: 221 Fireball Build - 03/10/21
Very nice, thank you for the pics. My builder is probably more excited than I once he heard about a Sako 461 action to play with.
Should be fun!
I was able to grab a Sako AV barreled mag action from the same person for another build, now the problem of figuring out what caliber. Boy it’s tough to have all these tough decisions in life! 😂
Posted By: 65BR Re: 221 Fireball Build - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahaha!

The coolest thing I saw as a kid was a 22 Super Jet built on a mini Martini action.

There was a write up in the 70s or 80s on a Martini in a 17 on a 44 mag case, rounds looked wicked. Set in a custom sythetic stock....

Looks like they tested it out on woodchucks or similar from a golf cart, a short handy carbine.
© 24hourcampfire