Home
Thinking of sending my rifle to be rebarreled by Hart. Any thoughts on their rebarreling services?
I wouldn’t hesitate
The Harts in NY and PA are both excellent choices.
I sent 3 actions to Hart to be barreled years back. Took 18 months.
They have done a few for me over the years, always been good shooters very easy to find good loads for. I just got one back in January, rebarrel and cerakote, it did take a year to get done. Nice looking job, its off getting stocked now, so no work up data on the last one. Although its a long lead time its easy for me as I can drop off and pick up, so I avoid the PITA of shipping.
their barrels are great but the lead times on getting a re barrel are very long
I would get the barrel and source it out for the install if it was me
Their wait is worth it if you are not in a real hurry. I have my second one scheduled now. You can pay a retainer and get in line, they will call you when the barrel is ready to send in your rifle and then it is about 6 weeks if I recall. As stated earlier I had them do a Model 70 in .270 and could not be happier. I have several custom barrels and all work well but the Harts are so easy too deal with it is worth the wait. I thought I had a problem on one and after a phone call Hart was ready to send a UPS tag to investigate, no problem. The problem was on my end ( a burr on a feed rail) I thought it was the extractor cut.
What do they charge these days?
It was $745 last summer, which included the price of the barrel, squaring, chambering, threading, fitting and crowning.
Hart is GTG they did a 300 ultra and a 300 Win mag for me, both on model 70 classics and they shot very well. Back then the wait was only 6 months.
They did a rifle for me, shot great, but poor communication cost me a delayed shipment, and unable to use it on a hunt I was going to in CO........

Never had a problem with Pac-Nor, and they all shot great for me. Others I have had smiths barrel up with Bartleins.
Order the barrel you want and send everything to Kampfeld. It’ll come back home in 6 weeks.
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Order the barrel you want and send everything to Kampfeld. It’ll come back home in 6 weeks.

How would costs compare?
Hart barrels are good
What is the intended purpose of the rifle???

What is being done aside from a barrel swap??
Purpose is just to be used as a beanfield deer rifle. Bought a second hand custom 264 wm built on a 700 action w a Douglas barrel. Barrel looks toasted on the inside. Just wanting to rebarrel in the same cartridge. I think the action has already been trued and squared but not sure. Just debating on what the best route to go is.
I bought a Hart take off barrel last year.I sent it to Jim Hart.He had to true my action because the tenon on the barrel was oversized from what a factory action is and added a .25" recoil lug.The cost was $170.00 and shipping was around $50.00.It took about a month.Shot this group with it.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Originally Posted by gunnut308

How would costs compare?

Karl gets $275 + shipping for a rebarrel job. So it’ll be $300 plus barrel cost.
Another option is Shaen.

Everyone that’s used him talks well of him.
I have had Jim do a couple rifles for me they shoot great and great service.you won't regret a hart barrel
Hart tubes are well respected and the crew are great people.

The wait is longer, true.
A late friend of mine, Dwight Furrow of Thorndike, ME was a 5-time "Shooter of the Year" in bench rest for score in multiple classes (out to 300 yards, with max scope magnification of 6x) He exclusively used Hart barrels, screwed on to his various Rem 788 actions ( with steel-tubed Weaver T-6 scopes). If you find past issues of Precision Shooting magazine, you will see his name listed often in the winning match/"equipment used" reports in the back of the mag, with "barrel used" always being "Hart."

He used to go bunny hunting with the Harts in Maine. Hart barrels seemed to meet Dwight's accuracy needs just fine.
I have two Harts. One installed by Bobby on a Sako Vixen .222, the other by my local smith on a Forester chambered to 6.5CM. Both rifles shoot beautifully, which is to say sub-moa. In fact the .222 is reliably 1/2" and under. Both barrels turned to their respective contours and dropped in the factory stocks without any tweaking. They do a fine job.
I have a Hart Barrel on a custom 260. Very nice shooter it was not installed by them though so I have no knowledge or experience of their service per se
I've got a Hart barrel on a 700sa in 22-250 that is minute of fly at 100yrds.
Would not hesitate another one of their barrels.
Their service and turn around time I can not attest to.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Another option is Shaen.

Everyone that’s used him talks well of him.

This^^^^
I had Darrell Holland build me two custom rifles. He used Hart barrels and both rifles shoot lights out. If they were good enough for Darrell, they are good enough for me. cool
© 24hourcampfire