Home
Posted By: HalH Which barrel maker - 05/10/21
Are there any cut rifling barrel makers that makes a stainless steel barrel in a # 3 or lighter contours.
I'm looking for a .257 1-71/2" the same contour as a Douglas ?3.
Douglas is smaller in dia. At 6" than most of the rest of the barrel makers.
No room to open up the stock.

Hal
Posted By: joshf303 Re: Which barrel maker - 05/10/21
Brux
HawkHill in 6.5 bores or smaller
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Which barrel maker - 05/10/21
Rock.
Not taking orders though.
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Which barrel maker - 05/10/21
Benchmark
Posted By: wagner Re: Which barrel maker - 05/10/21
Bartlein featherweight #2. Surely there’s enough meat there for just a bit of sanding at the 6” mark?
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Which barrel maker - 05/10/21
Hart will make you one in a Douglas contour
Posted By: Aviator Re: Which barrel maker - 05/10/21
I’ve had good luck Brux
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Which barrel maker - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Hart will make you one in a Douglas contour

Great barrels; not cut though.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Which barrel maker - 05/10/21
What are you re-barreling and what stock are you using?
Posted By: lone wolf Re: Which barrel maker - 05/10/21
Dan Muller he used to work for Rock Creek, his barrels will hang with any of the top tier cut rifle barrels out there.
Posted By: HalH Re: Which barrel maker - 05/11/21
I'm rebarreling a ULA .338 mag to a .257 Weatherby using the factory ULA stock.

Hal
Posted By: Muddinmetal Re: Which barrel maker - 05/11/21
Another vote for Brux here
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Which barrel maker - 05/11/21
Bartlein #2B is the same dimensions as a #3 Douglas and I'm pretty sure they'll make that in a .257 bore.
Posted By: HalH Re: Which barrel maker - 05/11/21
Most of the measurements are about the same except my .338 barrel measures .750 @ the 6",(D) measurement.
Most other barrel makers are .800 or .850 at the D (6") measurement.. I talked to a couple makers and they wouldn't
Go smaller in a stainless steel for saftey reasons.

Hal
Posted By: slobob63 Re: Which barrel maker - 05/11/21
many,i use mullerworks and benchmark now.
Posted By: DBoston Re: Which barrel maker - 05/11/21
I like the Bartlein 0 contour, a featherweight with a straight contour. The shank would need to be reduced to fit a #2 Douglass inlet.

I just got two barrels from K&P and they will make any contour and twist you want. I have not shot them yet but they look excellent. The 257 Weatherby is a Douglas #2 contour, the 270 WSM a true feather weight. Both are 1-7" twists.
Posted By: HalH Re: Which barrel maker - 05/12/21
KP told me he wouldn't go smaller in dia at the 6" mark.
The barrel channel can't be opened up without cutting through the cloth.

Hal.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Which barrel maker - 05/12/21
why only cut rifling barrels ?
the last few hart barrels i got are outstanding...cant imagine a cut barrel would be any better
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Which barrel maker - 05/16/21
Another vote for Bartlein, I recently ordered my 3rd...
Posted By: slobob63 Re: Which barrel maker - 05/16/21
yes,there are better button barreled barrels than hart,mullerworks or benchmark.owned about 8 harts in different calibers years back.there good,broughton was another level above hart,as were clay spencers barrels.tim north closed up and clay retired.so if i were to go back to button barrels,it would be benchmark or dan mullers barrels.we all have our preferences.good shooting to all..
Posted By: handwerk Re: Which barrel maker - 05/16/21
The #2 Lilja SS on my 300 H&H has proven to be a great shooter.
Posted By: mathman Re: Which barrel maker - 05/16/21
It's good to know all the nits are getting picked for this competition benchrest rifle. grin
Posted By: gene270 Re: Which barrel maker - 05/16/21
seems like a lot of builders like hart barrels ....borden rifles, hill country rifles,mcwhorter rifles and they are winning matches how are the other button rifled makers better
Posted By: lone wolf Re: Which barrel maker - 05/16/21
Hart makes great barrels, never had a bad one. Mcwhorter has been using a lot more Brux these days. Hill Country uses mostly Benchmark. These days it's much more important to pick a good smith, if not doesn't matter how great the barrel is...
Posted By: Aviator Re: Which barrel maker - 05/16/21
I’ll give Dan Muller a nod also I’m running one of his barrels in 300 win mag, it’s proving to be pretty good!
Posted By: slobob63 Re: Which barrel maker - 05/17/21
if you know your smith well,have had him do a few projects.ask him what barrel he would choose to put on his personal rifles.nothing wrong with hart barrels or lilja barrels.i have 3 smiths i have used and trusted for a long time.if button hart would not be my 1st or 2nd choice.we all have our own reasons and likes.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Which barrel maker - 06/03/21
I've typically preferred cut but I've noticed one thing about the button barrels is that almost all the good companies that button stress relieve after the process. I've had some top button barrel makers that never stress relieve in house they just rely on the steel makers and in my experience that was hit or mis.

Back when Mike Rock was still at rock he would stress relieve my cut barrels in house after they were cut and then lap them. Once he left I couldn't get that done anymore.

Bb
Posted By: RinB Re: Which barrel maker - 06/03/21

Make it easy. Send it back to Melvin. He builds very accurate 257 Wby’s. He goes to Douglas and hand selects barrels. He has told me that the Douglas .257” barrels HAVE NO EQUAL. Have heard this from other sources as well. Plus it will save you dollars. Melvin welcomes home every prodigal rifle.

Incidentally the Douglas .458 barrels are impossible to beat too.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Which barrel maker - 06/07/21
For a .257 I'd look HARD at Gary Schneider, OR Shawn B at HawkHill!
Posted By: swiftshot Re: Which barrel maker - 06/07/21
I've got a 458 Douglas.It shoots well and looks very good under a borescope-looks better than all my barrels.Kriegers are good too.I am growing fonder of Douglas barrels.WhenI first took the Douglas to the range it briefly shot phenomenally accurate then something went wrong that I could not figure out.Since it was on a custom rifle I contacted the rifle maker and he asked me to send it back to him and that something could be wrong with the firing spring/pin assembly.When I got it back it returned to shooting but only after I put many rounds through it trying to figure what the issue was.My next barrel will be a Douglas.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Which barrel maker - 06/07/21
my vote goes for Brux barrels , i have had 2 - 257 Weartherbys 1-10 twist, 2 - 257 Roberts 1 - 71/2 twist many other bench rifles too, this week i just ordered another Brux barrel for my new project i am rebarreling my Weathrerby mark 5 with a new Brux barrel when it gets here too a 257 Weatherby mag. 7 1/2 twist ,4 contour ,28 inch barrel so i can shoot the new Berger VLD 135 gr bullet will be my out west open range deer and antelope rifle. Straight Line Machining Greg Walstrom who builds some National championship rifles will do the machinist work for me . also had him rebarrel a Savage bench rifle to a 257 Creedmoor for me with a Brux 7 contour barrel and 7 1/2 twist barrel , 7 1/2 twist seems to be the answer for the bigger bullets for me.
© 24hourcampfire