Home
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Rebarrel or rebore? - 07/17/21
Have a 264 wm that seems to be about shot out. Love the rifle, so am considering a re-barrel, or possibly a rebore to 30 caliber. My question is, which would you do? Is a used up 264 barrel, a viable candidate for a rebore? And is a rebored barrel just as good as a new one? Also wondering about I cured costs. Thanks for any input.
Posted By: okie john Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 07/17/21
If you love the rifle more, then rebore. If you love the cartridge more, then rebarrel.

Okie John
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 07/17/21
I have a rebored Marlin that shoots better than it did when it was new. As far as the 264, it would probably depend on if the barrel is thick enough for your new rebore. I would talk to JES...35caliber.com
Posted By: beretzs Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 07/17/21
A rebore is an easy way for me to use the current barrel and try out a cartridge. So far they have been pretty accurate as well. I have had a 35 Newton, 375 Improved and a 9.3x62 done as well. I plan to do 338-06 next. For 225 bucks it's hard to go wrong with a rebore if you like everything about the rifle and wanna keep it looking original.

Going from 264 to 30 caliber won't be a job JES does and may cost a bit more from the other folks that will cut to that diameter. I am betting it is still less money than a rebarrel. Worst case in my head is if the rebore stinks and absolutely doesn't shoot you are out 225 bucks. Most of the time though, with enough shooting they smooth out well and are very decent shooting rifles.
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
I have a rebored Marlin that shoots better than it did when it was new. As far as the 264, it would probably depend on if the barrel is thick enough for your new rebore. I would talk to JES...35caliber.com

This! Unless you really want another .264 WM, then rebarrel.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 07/20/21
myself i would rebarrel with a good match grade barrel . 264 WM. is a great cartridge , good barrels today are better barrels than the past days barrels . i would only use 2 brand barrels either a Krieger or Brux barrel . do you need a extremely good machinist who does put barrels on he`s not cheap and is dang fussy but one of the best in America who has had his rifles win National titles. Pete53
Posted By: pal Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 07/20/21
Though you haven't bothered to say what this rifle is, if you re-bore or re-barrel, the rifle's resale value will be diminished. Financially better to pass it on and buy a new one.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 07/20/21
i have a pre-64 model 70 that was a magnum , i rebarreled the rifle to a 257 Weatherby Mag. its a great shooting rifle and still glad i did that. i have been offered a lot of money for this rifle too.
Posted By: Fury01 Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 07/25/21
Set her back a turn with a fresh throat and you might find some life.
Rebore from 264 to 338 might be nice and I’m pretty sure Jes does 338.
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 07/25/21
If you really like the rifle because of the current cartridge it shoots, you might be really disappointed if you don't re-barrel.
Going to a well-known barrel maker will almost guarantee you that your new barrel will be a great shooter.
Got a friend in Eastern WA who loves his 264-mag, and has killed a truck-load of mulies with it.
(Because it's barrel life is pretty limited, he uses it strictly for hunting and very minor target work to keep the round-count down)

Have a great weekend!!
Posted By: keith Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 08/11/21
I have one re bore, never again....never. I have a teslong bore scope.

ON a budget, Wilson barrels are great! Shaw has done two for me with excellent hunting accuracy(3/4").

264 WM are rough on barrels(600-800) unless you use H1000 or N160(Heat Index).
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 08/11/21

JESS Rebore did a 30/06 1885 Highwall to 35 Whelen. I could not be more pleased. Shoots great 1/2 MOA or less depending on the load.
The rebore allowed me to use the original octagon barrel
Posted By: beretzs Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by jwp475

JESS Rebore did a 30/06 1885 Highwall to 35 Whelen. I could not be more pleased. Shoots great 1/2 MOA or less depending on the load.

I’ve had great results with mine.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

That’s the 375 Improved. The 9.3, 35 Newton and others have all been great as well. I’ve got a 760 270 Win that may become a 338-06 if I can get some time to get it in the mail.
Posted By: keith Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 08/12/21
Originally Posted by jwp475

Perfect example where a re bore is very, very useful.
Posted By: EdM Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 08/12/21
Originally Posted by keith
I have one re bore, never again....never. I have a teslong bore scope.

ON a budget, Wilson barrels are great! Shaw has done two for me with excellent hunting accuracy(3/4").

264 WM are rough on barrels(600-800) unless you use H1000 or N160(Heat Index).

How does it shoot?
Posted By: keith Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 09/05/21
How does is copper foul is a more appropriate question...

How many rounds inbetween a de copper is to the point
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 09/10/21
I have 3 rebores from JES, they all shoot great.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: haverluk Re: Rebarrel or rebore? - 09/11/21
I see a 358 Norma Mag in your future…
© 24hourcampfire