Home
Posted By: RoyalKnight PacNor - 08/14/21
Ok, I have a remington Mountain rifle from the late 80s. I am thinking about sending it in to Pacnor to be trued up and a new ss barrel. Who has used them for these services. Rifle is chambered in 270 and I will more than likely go back with 270 and order a Mcmillian Mtn rifle stock in the edge fill. If you have photos of your rifle would you please post them. Thanks.
Posted By: 30338 Re: PacNor - 08/14/21
I'd skip the truing and just have them screw on a 280 Remington mtn contour barrel.
Posted By: erich Re: PacNor - 08/14/21
I sent them my old Rem 600 in 223 and had them true it and lap the lugs before rebarreling to 6x45mm. I've been very happy with their work. I had it done 20 yrs ago though. I have been toying with rebarreling it to 20 Practical but went out and shot it with a new scope and bought another action for the 20 Practical as the 6x45mm PacNor shot so well I just can't change it..
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: PacNor - 08/14/21
I agree with 30338.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: PacNor - 08/14/21
I have a Pacnor barrel in a 30-06.It shoots really well.I went with the SS Super Match barrel and had them install it.The total cost plus shipping was just under $700.At that time it was 8 weeks turn around,but I think it's a little longer time now.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: RoyalKnight Re: PacNor - 08/14/21
I appreciate the input gentleman.
Posted By: AKduck Re: PacNor - 08/14/21
Had them rebarrel a Kimber to 6 creedmoor. No complaints and easy folks to deal with.
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: PacNor - 08/14/21
Pacnor is a great outfit to deal with, but you might want to give them a call to see what their current production timeframe is. Last I heard they were pretty much full up with work for the foreseeable future following their reopening.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: PacNor - 08/14/21
I have ~ 5 pac nor barrels. I generally like them.

I quit truing actions on my hunting rifles 20 years ago.
If you want to get obsessive, buy better brass and load it straighter. You might get measurable measurable gains from that.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: PacNor - 08/15/21
I have had them put together 5-6 rifles for me. Everyone was a great shooter. I think they are the best bang for the buck going. I did have everything trues on each rifle and the results were great. YMMV
Posted By: RoyalKnight Re: PacNor - 08/15/21
Awesome!!! I appreciate yall.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: PacNor - 08/16/21
If you stay with the .270 Win, you might consider a faster twist than the normal 1:10.
There’s more heavy/long high BC bullets coming out these days and you might as well take advantage of them....
Posted By: Ackleyman Re: PacNor - 08/17/21
I had them re-barrel my Remy 30.06 several years ago. I did not true the action. #3 contour fluted barrel. Consistent .75" moa shooter. I agree with previous posts, you will gain more accuracy with quality brass and reloading techniques than truing the action.
Posted By: RoyalKnight Re: PacNor - 08/17/21
Yes sir I believe I will go with a faster twist just in case.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: PacNor - 08/18/21
Had them do a mountain rifle chambered to 6.5x257AI, 8 twist, MR contour carried to 24" for a bit better balance. That was around 2005. Works quite nicely.
Posted By: asheepdog Re: PacNor - 09/20/21
My thoughts are if you are having it rebarelled, why not have them true up the action, its generally not very expensive. I also concur with the 280 Remington caliber.
Posted By: mathman Re: PacNor - 09/20/21
Originally Posted by asheepdog
My thoughts are if you are having it rebarelled, why not have them true up the action, its generally not very expensive. I also concur with the 280 Remington caliber.

What procedure do you mean?
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: PacNor - 09/20/21
Pac Nor is a great company to deal with. Chris and his staff focus on quality and customer service.

Regarding action work...on a hunting gun you don't need to get too crazy. You definitely want to have the receiver face squared and make sure the lug is either surface ground perfectly flat or use an aftermarket one. Not all after market ones are what they're advertised to be as far as being flat. -Al
Posted By: mathman Re: PacNor - 09/20/21
I suspect that's the "not very expensive" action truing referenced in the post I questioned.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: PacNor - 09/20/21

I've built Pac Nor barrels for 20+ years

All heavy Savage pre fit...I screw 'em together

Never a bad one------GTG !
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: PacNor - 09/21/21
Pac Nor Pig Popper
Chambered in 7-08
Pac Nor fluted the bolt and bead blast it.
Pac Nor Mountain contour barrel at 20”
Leupold 2.5-8x
Top notch accuracy with several loads.

Posted By: SuperCub Re: PacNor - 09/21/21
Originally Posted by 30338
I'd skip the truing and just have them screw on a 280 Remington mtn contour barrel.

I wouldn't switch to 280 if I had all the loading kit for 270 and the chambering has served me well in the past. I doubt that Joe Avg. shooter would be able to tell the difference on game.

FWIW .... I do own a 280 and not a 270 in sight nor have I ever shot anything with a 270. smile
Posted By: hicountry Re: PacNor - 09/22/21
I have 2, one on a 22/250 that Karl put together for me one one a 300 win that Ernie Boardman put together.

Both are lights out shooters
Posted By: MadTrapper375 Re: PacNor - 09/22/21
I have a couple of their 3 grooves. Exellent barrels, Exellent people. Glad they are back up and running after the fire.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: PacNor - 09/23/21
Ordered my 1st barrel from them, 9 months ago. My case is a little different than yours as I just had them make up a drop in barrel for a CZ527. They were or are finding they need to replace & make new buttons for ones lost in the fire & to accommodate some of the new longer bullet choices. re-tooling for this fast twist 5 groove barrel may be part of the reason for the slower 6 month turn around I experienced.

So Ill share this is my first what Il call semi custom barrel. Never have I done my part quite as well in breaking in a new barrel. Though I am clear they did there part very well. Never have I had a rifle that cleaned up remotely as easy as this 1 in 7 twist 5 groove 6mm ARC barrel. As I understand they have altered the geometry of the rifling and thus the buttons a bit. the new geometry is supposed to improve the ease of cleaning over the more square rifling of days gone by. apparently this rifling type I had done tends to be a good deal faster than some other rifling options.

I find i need to load on the order of 1 grain below max load data being offered to get away from pressure. As I recall at 1 grain below max book load data I am still experiencing velocity above what is listed as a max load. these faster velocities are with a barrel 2" shorter than the test barrels.
Posted By: mart Re: PacNor - 09/23/21
Great company. When they had the fire, I had two action there being barreled. One was ready to ship and the other just a couple days from ready. I told them to ship them both together when they were done with the second one. The next day they had the fire.

They refunded all the money for barreling and the value I gave for the actions.

I sent them an action last winter. Just got it back. It makes my third. I’ve been happy with all of them.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: PacNor - 09/30/21
I’m very glad they are still working.
Posted By: TX35W Re: PacNor - 10/01/21
As far as switching calibers...maybe try buying either ammo or brass for 280 Rem right now. Brass is very tough to find and it will probably be someone else's used brass, factory ammo is impossible.

Not a great time to be switching to a less-than-popular caliber and while it's nothing like what you can get in 7mm, there are now a few pretty sleek 277 bullets.

I'd stick with the 270 but get a 1:8 twist or something along those lines. You can use all your old components and ammo and with a 1:8 twist you can run all the 170gr+ .277 bullets you want.

Not sure how long Pacnor cuts their barrel cylinders but it will probably be longer than Remingtons. You might ask for a short barrel cylinder and you could also ask them to finish the barrel a little longer on the skinny end, 24" vs 22" The 270 gains quite a bit with a longer barrel and you can always cut it shorter if you want. Though I am maybe overly partial to long skinny barrels.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: PacNor - 10/03/21
I've got a Montana in 270 wsm that I was going to send to them for a 6.5 4s before the fire. I have a 6.5 prc that I like now so I've thought of sending it in to do another 7 wsm but in an 8 twist or an 8 or 9 twist 300 wsm.

Bb
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: PacNor - 10/04/21
Nothing like spending Krieger type money on a Pacnor 🤣
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: PacNor - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by 30338

I wouldn't switch to 280 if I had all the loading kit for 270 and the chambering has served me well in the past. I doubt that Joe Avg. shooter would be able to tell the difference on game.

FWIW .... I do own a 280 and not a 270 in sight nor have I ever shot anything with a 270. smile

Truth!
© 24hourcampfire