Home
Posted By: dale06 Dakota model 10 - 09/17/21
LGS has a Dakota model 10 in on consignment, but they have not established a price, yet.
Looks new, may be un fired.
Stunning wood
Very nice checkering
Case hardened receiver.
Matching case hardened vertical split rings
Lots of gold inlays
Octagon barrel, or maybe it’s hexagon
Chambered in 257 weatherby
Barrel is 23” or maybe 22”
With Leupold scope, believe 2.5-8x

Stunning gun, but why would one put a short barrel on a 257 wby?
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/17/21
Raised rib for the rings?

Front sighr?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/17/21
Not 100% positive but think, no sights, and raised rib for scope rings.
Sounds sweet, except for the short barrel.

Be aware that the lack of a bolt action type receiver can make the barrel look shorter in relation to other rifles in the rack.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Sounds sweet, except for the short barrel.

Be aware that the lack of a bolt action type receiver can make the barrel look shorter in relation to other rifles in the rack.

Yup
I laid a yard stick on it.
Didn’t know exactly where the the start of the chamber was, but it’s 23” plus/minus 1/2”.
Odd....

Perhaps the person who had it built was enamored with the pre 64 .264 Winchester featherweight with a 22" barrel

How much are they asking for it? You could always have it rebarreled if the price is right.
They have not yet put a price on it.
I buy guns to use.
This one would be a safe queen for me.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/17/21
I bought a Browning low wall in .260 Rem because I couldn't afford a Model 10. I handled a Model 10 years ago. It handled like a fine bird gun.... I hope you can get it at a price point you can't pass up.
Posted By: TimZ Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/17/21
Between the wood, the gold inlays, and the octagon barrel, it sounds like that one is going to be pretty pricey.........I will guess $6750.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/18/21
I’m going elk hunting for a week, driving to New Mexico. Will post the price when I get back, if it’s still available. I suspect it will be available as there’s not a
lot of guys dropping that much coin on a single gun.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/18/21
Yeah buddy those 10's are sure fine. Only one I ever held was chambered in 309-JDJ
That was a long time ago, I've still been wanting one.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by dale06
I’m going elk hunting for a week, driving to New Mexico. Will post the price when I get back, if it’s still available. I suspect it will be available as there’s not a
lot of guys dropping that much coin on a single gun.

Try explaining to the seller how concerned you are about the level of muzzle blast of such an over bored round in a short barreled rifle.... then reload it to about .257 Roberts levels and hunt with it for the rest of your days....
Posted By: dale06 Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/18/21
Good point re down loading it.
I won’t buy it except for the small possibility of flipping it for a profit. It’s a collectors type of gun in my view, one that you take out of safe, show off, admire, wipe off the finger prints, and put back in safe. Nothing wrong with that, but not my gig.
My guns get very good care, but they get shot and get hunted with. I do have a Jim Kobe custom on a Sako action in 257 weatherby. It is hands down my favorite deer and antelope rifle.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/18/21
The only thing special about a model 10 is the hype
Posted By: cotis Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/19/21
I had a beautiful Weatherby Mark 5 Deluxe made in 70s in .257 wby, but it had a 24” #1 pencil barrel. Beauty to look at, horrible to shoot. I sent it down the road. Any Weatherby caliber needs at least a 26” #2 barrel IMO.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/19/21
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Nonsense.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/19/21
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I bought a Browning low wall in .260 Rem because I couldn't afford a Model 10. I handled a Model 10 years ago. It handled like a fine bird gun.... I hope you can get it at a price point you can't pass up.

Me too......

The only Dakota 10 I’ve ever seen in person was a .308. It was truly a beauty, maybe a bit to much for me to drag around the woods. Buy, fondle, flip for something you will use if the $$ is right.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/21/21
There is no gun thats to pretty to be used.....with care. That's what there made for.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/21/21
Originally Posted by GSPfan
There is no gun thats to pretty to be used.....with care. That's what there made for.

^^^This^^^
Posted By: Jmbrown Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Only can be said by someone who has never used or handled one, or because their wife won’t let them buy one.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/24/21
Looked at this rifle again today. It’s still not priced. I took a few pics, if anyone wants, pm me.
I have no interest in this gun or gun store.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/27/21
23-24 inch barrel wouldn't bother me at all. It would loose around 100 fps from 26 to 24 and all guns make noise. I have 2 model 10's and see no hype.
To each his own.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/28/21
I bet the barrel is longer than it looks. Single shots are misleading that way.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/28/21
I didn’t stick cleaning rod down the barrel to the face of the block, and measure that distance. But I laid a yard stick where I thought the face of the block would be and it was 22-23” at the end of the barrel.
Posted By: cotis Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/28/21
It always amazes me to hear stories like this. A nice rifle is brought in on consignment, yet the seller didn't specify an asking price and the gun store didn't suggest one or price it?! WTF do they expect to happen with it? Only thing I can think of is they are hoping for that ONE rich dumbazz to walk through the door and pay whatever number they make up right there on the spot when he asks. Start the egg timer on that.

There is a Blaser R8, green stock, iron sights, with a EuroOptic 2.5-10x on it sitting at a LGS. I inquired about it 9 months ago, made an offer on it SIX months ago, and the gun store has yet to contact the seller to see if he is willing to accept it. The rifle is fully priced right now, minus the scope value, and isn't exactly what I would purchase if I was going to buy the exact Blaser R8 I wanted. My opinion is that the gun store should not be deciding this deal, the seller should. The store is just the facilitator, and not communicating my offer to the seller is a dick move. Even if the seller doesn't accept it, that would open a communication for a counter-offer, negotiation, etc. The seller is 80+ years old I am told, and that rifle will still be sitting there when he dies at this rate.
Posted By: TimZ Re: Dakota model 10 - 09/28/21
Originally Posted by cotis
It always amazes me to hear stories like this. A nice rifle is brought in on consignment, yet the seller didn't specify an asking price and the gun store didn't suggest one or price it?! WTF do they expect to happen with it? Only thing I can think of is they are hoping for that ONE rich dumbazz to walk through the door and pay whatever number they make up right there on the spot when he asks. Start the egg timer on that.

There is a Blaser R8, green stock, iron sights, with a EuroOptic 2.5-10x on it sitting at a LGS. I inquired about it 9 months ago, made an offer on it SIX months ago, and the gun store has yet to contact the seller to see if he is willing to accept it. The rifle is fully priced right now, minus the scope value, and isn't exactly what I would purchase if I was going to buy the exact Blaser R8 I wanted. My opinion is that the gun store should not be deciding this deal, the seller should. The store is just the facilitator, and not communicating my offer to the seller is a dick move. Even if the seller doesn't accept it, that would open a communication for a counter-offer, negotiation, etc. The seller is 80+ years old I am told, and that rifle will still be sitting there when he dies at this rate.

Maybe that's their plan, maybe the gun shop owner decided he wants it.

Like you, I can't imagine putting a gun into an LGS on consignment without telling them exactly what I want for it. Having it sit there without a price is a waste of everyone's time......
Posted By: dale06 Re: Dakota model 10 - 10/01/21
I think the issue here is the family of the deceased owner has no clue on the value of firearms. The gun shop owner has suggested a price but the estate has not decided what tho do on price.
Posted By: TimZ Re: Dakota model 10 - 10/01/21
Fair enough,

I guess I missed the fact that the original owner was deceased and it was his family trying to sell the rifle......

Tim
Posted By: bmw540 Re: Dakota model 10 - 12/19/21
Spotted a couple of Model 10's with raised rib for rings, going to pm you.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Dakota model 10 - 12/19/21
It’s still for sale, $7499 asking price. And one other oddity, the lop is very long, I think 15”+. One could cut off the stock, then the cheek piece is to near the butt.
I expect it will take a very long time to sell.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Dakota model 10 - 12/19/21
Dale, who is LGS please. So you have a link?

Thx

Tarq
Posted By: dale06 Re: Dakota model 10 - 12/20/21
I’ll send you a pm
© 24hourcampfire