Home
Posted By: Gansettx To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/08/21
Ok I'm mulling around having one of these screwed together. I've got a Hart mountain rifle dupe in a 7 twist, 700SA, and the stocks are either a TI takeoff or a unpainted Hunters Edge BDL. I'm thinking dump the bdl floor plate on the hunters edge and go DBM...but need some input.

[Linked Image]

Both actions are .473 bolt face so I would need to bush one to go the AI route. Will likely be launching Horn 75's with no specific job to do, just a lightweight utility to tote around. Opinions are needed and welcomed.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/08/21
Creedmoor...
Posted By: goalie Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/08/21
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Creedmoor...

Ironic considering your name.

šŸ˜
Posted By: Dude270 Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/08/21
Since you have a .473 bolt face I'd do a creed. Its a fantastic hunting round with 75s or 88s. Fast, flat shooting and packs a wallop.

A 223ai may be better if you plan to shoot it a lot on steel or targets. Longer barrel life, doesn't heat up as fast, cheaper brass, easier on powder, etc.

I have and like both.
Posted By: woodson Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/08/21
Sounds like a really fun rifle regardless.
Posted By: ingwe Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/08/21
Originally Posted by Dude270
Since you have a .473 bolt face I'd do a creed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS
I would do a DBM 22BR if I had a .473 action
Posted By: Dude270 Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/09/21
BR would be nice, but definitely go dbm in that case. I've had good luck wirh the primal rights guts in AICS mags for feeding my 6br.

I'd still probably go 22 creedmoor if I didn't want to do a lot of high volume shooting, its a beast.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/09/21
Originally Posted by Dude270
Since you have a .473 bolt face I'd do a creed. Its a fantastic hunting round with 75s or 88s. Fast, flat shooting and packs a wallop.

A 223ai may be better if you plan to shoot it a lot on steel or targets. Longer barrel life, doesn't heat up as fast, cheaper brass, easier on powder, etc.

I have and like both.

This.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/09/21
As many have mentioned, unless you're planning high volume shooting, 22 Creed is the answer with really no argument in favor of the 223AI considering the parts you have on hand.....and I love a 223AI.
Posted By: Sheister Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/09/21
That bolt face makes all the difference. No reason to add complexity or added expense to the project given the choices you are offering... I put my 22-250 in the safe when I got my 223AI built and it hasn't seen much time outside since then... both are superbly accurate with the bullets I shoot, but the 223AI has a bit less recoil and in a long day of shooting chucks or other critters prone it does make a difference...

Bob
Posted By: SuperCub Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/12/21
Seems like the old std 22-250 doesn't run with the kool kids anymore, but it still is a very good choice.

One could always AI an 22-250 for more FPS.
Posted By: SKane Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/12/21
22 Creedmoor in the Ti takeoff.
Sell the unpainted Edge. To me. laugh
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/12/21
Originally Posted by goalie
Creedmoor...

šŸ˜

Very ironic, Ive actually only had one ackley a 280 that I had Hart rifles build for me, fun for awhile but I grew bored with it and moved on...I prefer a 270 for my uses!
Posted By: beretzs Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/12/21
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Seems like the old std 22-250 doesn't run with the kool kids anymore, but it still is a very good choice.

One could always AI an 22-250 for more FPS.

Especially with the availability of that awesome Lapua brass! Stuff is everywhere. I was firmly in the Creed camp till I realized Lapua is everywhere, fairly inexpensive for what it is, and FF loads will probably shoot like a devil.
Posted By: beretzs Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/12/21
Creedmoor...

šŸ˜

Very ironic, Ive actually only had one ackley a 280 that I had Hart rifles build for me, fun for awhile but I grew bored with it and moved on...I prefer a 270 for my uses!

Here here, pass that bottle around.. Must be the BobinNH time of the year! HA!
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/12/21
Originally Posted by beretzs
Creedmoor...

šŸ˜

Here here, pass that bottle around.. Must be the BobinNH time of the year! HA!

I know it's talked down around here ....but everything about it is easy!
Posted By: Gansettx Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/12/21
ā€¦Now Iā€™m Laughingā€¦maybe my last sentence wasnā€™t the best ideaā€¦opinions are needed šŸ˜‚

I have a short action to build on so a .270 unless itā€™s a BigStick 270 it ainā€™t happening.

I have a few 22-250ā€™s and if Iā€™m Aye eyeing anything itā€™ll be the .223 simply since it does so much with so little.

I appreciate the input from everyone, Iā€™m heading in the Creedmor direction. I just need to decide which furniture Iā€™m going to go withā€¦adl or dbm.

SKane crazier things have happenedā€¦
Posted By: Sheister Re: To .223AI or 22 Creed ? - 10/13/21
One big advantage of the 223AI is if you get short on ammo you can shoot 223 ammo in it and usually they are very, very accurate with the original case. It is also very easy to fireform cases for the 223AI while hunting with 223 ammo in it... I've done it and the results are pretty surprising. Even more so once you get the AI cases loaded up.... probably the most fun for the buck you can invest IMO....

Bob
© 24hourcampfire