Home
Posted By: LBP Rifles Inc. - 10/10/21
I spoke with Lex Webernick about ordering a Strata last week. I had heard he wasn’t a very friendly guy but that wasn’t the case at all. He took plenty of time and we discussed all the details of the build.

Anyone have a rifle he built, if so what do you think of it as far as quality and accuracy are concerned?

Thanks, Les
Posted By: Kushtaka Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/11/21
I have one of Lex Rifles Inc Strata's (bought second hand). It won't win any beauty contests, but is stoopid precise. Workmanship is top notch.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/11/21
havent had one myself but your looking at a rifle with a custom action at that price in my mind....these are on a supplied remington action for 3200.00

i would be looking at a nula or you could get Jim Borden to build you a barreled action and have Alex Sitman put it in a stock for that kind of money

bottom line you have to make yourself happy though....
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/11/21
Lee, I have one of his rifles built on a Winchester 70 in 7mm Remington Magnum.

Yhe rifle's been an absolute tack driver since day one.

If I were limited to just one rifle for all of my hunting this would be the one.

Lex makes a hell of a rifle and would be my choice over Hill Country Rifles.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/11/21
What gene270 said.......
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/11/21

I’ve had a Strata for close to twenty years I guess. It’s a 284 Win on a REM Lt SA. It was about 5.5 lbs originally but I added a PTG bolt for the beefier extractor; it’s heavier than the REM bolt. It’s on its 3rd paint job now. It has an extended box so I can go 2.95” OAL.

The first load I tried with TTSX 140’s was very accurate with R17 and I haven’t changed anything up. With it I have taken a ten point whitetail at 500 yds, a large mule deer buck at a 100, a cinnamon-phase black bear at 150, and a smaller 6x6 bull elk at about 120.

It’s done up well and I’ve had several others from Alex, all quality throughout. IF I had a complaint is that it’s first fence-post brown, nuanced cameo job basically came off the same color as a mud dauber’s nest. More personal taste I guess.

But overall, no complaints; in fact, well done!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/11/21
I’ve never heard much bad about Webernicks rifles. His 70’s are supposed to be pretty slick.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/11/21
Originally Posted by beretzs
His 70’s are supposed to be pretty slick.

They are! grin
Posted By: 603Country Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/11/21
Back in the 80’s, Rifles, Inc was in a small building on the north side of Houston. I had a Ruger 77V in 220 Swift and I had finally shot out the barrel. I took it to him, not knowing who he was, and asked him to rebarrel it and make it into a real shooter. He absolutely did that, and I still have the rifle. He was into making ultralight rifles back then, but I didn’t need that. I thought he was a pretty nice guy. I don’t think I could afford him now.
Posted By: RShooter Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/11/21
I have one on the 700 action with Benchmark bbl. In 338 Win. It is without a doubt the most repeatable, dependable rifle I own. I have had 3 customs built & own many other quality rifles, but if I had to have just one, it would be the Rifles Inc.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/13/21
I’ve had lots of customs and rebarreled rifles and the older RI 280 I just received is solid. For the thinnest barrel I have ever seen it shoots well and with the light stock it balances well.
No complaints here.
Posted By: WDEA Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/19/21
Back during my weight weenie rifle days, I owned Rifles Inc, MGA, ULA and Bansner. and no complaints.

Lex was the easiest for me for talk to, then Kerry, Melvin and Mark.

To me, these fellas are the pioneers for the stoopid light rifles available today.

Then after owning a Master Series from Lex, well I don't own any weight weenie rifles anymore!

Glad for the most part, these fellas are still around while others have come and gone!
Posted By: LBP Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/19/21
I’ve got a couple NULA’s and don’t have any complaints. I just wanted something different this time and decided to get a Rifles Strata.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/19/21
I owned 1 several years ago. Slick action, accurate, nice to carry. Can't remember why I sold it, other than I have 3x as many elk rifles as days I hunt elk each year!
Posted By: super T Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/19/21
Lex makes a quality rifle. Or at least he did twenty years ago. A brother, my son, and a hunting partner have rifles put together by Lex on mod.70 actions. I have loaded for and shot each of them and I can tell you each is well finished and extremely accurate.
Posted By: WDEA Re: Rifles Inc. - 10/24/21
Agreed, a M70 by Lex is plenty smoove!
© 24hourcampfire