Home
Have access to a high quality 30 cal stainless barrel. It's never been chambered. Some sporter contour with a beefy shank... It's 26" long at this point, but considering cutting it much shorter and threading the muzzle.

Never had a fast twist 30 cal, nothing faster than 1:10.

Kinda thinking a suppressed 30-06 tossing 200+ grain bullets?

I dunno. Your thoughts please!

Guy

It will work just fine
I’d do it all day myself Guy. It won’t hurt 200’s a bit and we’ve been getting excellent accuracy from a few 300 mags with 1-8 Kriegers. I think it’s a fine idea. Likely the same way I’d go I’ve I were making an 06.

Order exactly what you want. No compromise.
I know some guys who run 8 and 8.5 twist 300 mags for DOD/military stuff, primary reason being the ability to run sub sonic loads when occasionally required.

I have watched them shoot those same rifles at pretty extended ranges (way past 1k yards), no problems with monos and target bullets, but talking to them about civilian purposes, they seemed to think (not sure how much evidence they had for this) that the super fast twists might make it harder to get accuracy from partitions and other "multi-section" bullets.

But I guess the heaviest of the new LRX's require a 1:8.5 anyway. So you'd be good on that front.
8” on my prc, it’ll love up to 250’s.
Originally Posted by Cascade
Have access to a high quality 30 cal stainless barrel. It's never been chambered. Some sporter contour with a beefy shank... It's 26" long at this point, but considering cutting it much shorter and threading the muzzle.

Guy

What do you want to hunt with it?
Sell it
+1
Ya, on consideration, I don't think this Bartlein is something I need. It will be used in some other project.

Thanks for the input.

Guy
300 PRC slinging 225 ELDs.......sounds about perfect.
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I agree. smile Just not doing that, but yes, seems a perfect barrel for such a rifle & cartridge!

Guy

I agree. smile Just not doing that, but yes, seems a perfect barrel for such a rifle & cartridge!

Guy

They work fine for lighter bullets as well.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
I run a 1:8" for my 300 Win Mag and the new Barnes 208 LRX. 1/2 moa, 5-shot @ 1000 yds. That same bullet will work with a 1:8.5" twist.

Alan

why ? it's too fookin slow with anything over 180 gr, same as the 300 Win Mag, the 300 RUM and 300 Norma Imp will crush that wHorenady crap without even trying
.30 cal barrel? It would probably work as a stake for your tomato plants.

This!
pretty diverse opinions.love the entertainment.

Guy

10" will stabilize 212's in 308 Win Supersonic. Reserve RPM simply bumps BC and a .30cal at 8.5",can't paint you in a corner,from any angle. Hint.

8.5" is your Huckleberry,for certain. Hint...............
© 24hourcampfire