Home
Posted By: slickyboyboo What to rebarrel to?? - 01/12/22
If you had a Howa Mini Action rifle with a .223/5.56 boltface, what would you rebarrel it to for a coyote, PD, and occasional deer hunting rifle?
Posted By: MedRiver Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/12/22
6x45
Posted By: slickyboyboo Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/12/22
Originally Posted by MedRiver
6x45

Considering a 6 TCU.
Posted By: MT_DD_FAN Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/12/22
I would leave it as a 223 Rem. It will kill deer just fine within normal distances when loaded with the appropriate bullets and operated by a good shooter.
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
I would leave it as a 223 Rem. It will kill deer just fine within normal distances when loaded with the appropriate bullets and operated by a good shooter.

It’s not a 223 Rem.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/12/22
Originally Posted by slickyboyboo
If you had a Howa Mini Action rifle with a .223/5.56 boltface, what would you rebarrel it to for a coyote, PD, and occasional deer hunting rifle?

223 fast twist with some freebore if it's legal to hunt deer with a 22 centerfire in your state.

If not, 6x45 with a fast twist.
Originally Posted by 257heaven

223 fast twist with some freebore if it's legal to hunt deer with a 22 centerfire in your state.

If not, 6x45 with a fast twist.

I guess I should have prefaced this with the deer hunting aspect of this rifle would be way way down the line as I have a long list of rifles that would make it to the deer woods much sooner. That said, there are no caliber restrictions here in MS. I have also considered a fast twist 223 AI as an option.
Posted By: szihn Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/12/22
6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC are both good. I have used and owned both. My 6.8 has been exceptionally good for deer and antelope. Both of mine were made on AR rifles, but the round doesn't know of care if it's fired from an auto or a bolt action.

If you don't want to fuss around with the bolt face I'd agree with MT DD and just make a 223 out of it but use a 1-9 twist for good performance with 60+ grain bullets. Using the 60 Gr Partition or some of the 63 to 75 grain bonded or expanding solid bullets, the 223 does well on deer as long as you don't push it to a range the bullets fail to expand, and as long as you don't use a frail bullet that simply breaks up.
Posted By: mathman Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/12/22
Not 1-9. Go at least 1-8, if not 1-7.
6 ARC
Posted By: remingtonman Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/12/22

6x45 with a 9twist barrel. Awesome chambering and brass is cheap

Originally Posted by szihn
6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC are both good. I have used and owned both. My 6.8 has been exceptionally good for deer and antelope. Both of mine were made on AR rifles, but the round doesn't know of care if it's fired from an auto or a bolt action.

If you don't want to fuss around with the bolt face I'd agree with MT DD and just make a 223 out of it but use a 1-9 twist for good performance with 60+ grain bullets. Using the 60 Gr Partition or some of the 63 to 75 grain bonded or expanding solid bullets, the 223 does well on deer as long as you don't push it to a range the bullets fail to expand, and as long as you don't use a frail bullet that simply breaks up.

Already have a 6.5 Grendel and a 224 Grendel, plus I’m going to stay with the original boltface.
Posted By: Sheister Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
There are no flies on the 223 AI and you can shoot standard SAAMI 223 in it all day long as accurate as the formed rounds will be - maybe better.... 223 AI is possibly one of the most efficient of the AI rounds and there are tons of excellent bullets available for it to do whatever chore you want it to do for you...
Posted By: slickyboyboo Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
6 ARC

Doesn’t work with a 223/5.56 boltface.
That's what I get for getting in a hurry!!

blush blush

Mike
In that case .350 Legend
Posted By: GreggH Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
25 Copperhead.
GreggH
Posted By: fshaw Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
I have a 6x45 and love it. One of my favorite deer rifles. If I was going to 223 I’d go to a fast twist 223AI. All the benefits available from a 223 and a bit more zip. I’m intrigued by the 350 Legend, but not the ideal coyote gun.
Posted By: Darryle Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
300 Ham'r
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
.222 Rem
Posted By: hanco Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
1in8 223, load 62 grain Bear Claws, kills deer well!
Already has a .22 Grendel so .22 covered.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
I'd forget the deer part and make it a 20 Practical for the Coyotes and PD's.
Posted By: Switch Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
6x45

Considering a 6 TCU.

The TCU chambering are not worth the trouble. They require fire forming and very little is gained over the straight 6 X 45.
Posted By: LBP Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
.223, 1-8” twist, load up 75gr Speer Gold Dots, or Speer factory loads with the 75gr Gold Dot if you don’t handload. Shoot em’ I’m the front half and have a sharp knife handy.
Posted By: slickyboyboo Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
Originally Posted by Switch
6x45

Considering a 6 TCU.

The TCU chambering are not worth the trouble. They require fire forming and very little is gained over the straight 6 X 45.

It’s not always about gained velocity. I know 223/5.56 brass is easily available, but the 40° shoulder extends brass life and basically cuts down on trimming completely.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/13/22
With what you already own and what you say you want to do with it an 8 twist 223 makes the most sense to me by a long shot
Posted By: boatanchor Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/14/22
The obvious choice has been overlooked........204 Ruger, 39gr Blitzkings
Posted By: efw Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by remingtonman

6x45 with a 9twist barrel. Awesome chambering and brass is cheap

This for sure esp if you’re ruling out a fast twist .223 or .223 AI
Posted By: Big Stick Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/14/22
You CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint.

The Howie Mini's are COAL trite and a Goat Fhuqk Platform for 223/223AI...if only because boolits matter wayyyyyyyyy more than fhuqking headstamps. Hint.

Simply bush the .378" 223's 'face,along with the striker and it's hole. Go 22 PPC AFI and bask in the fhuqking sanctity of 88 ELD and 90 BeerCan magfed Smooches. All of which crush the 6 ARC and 6x45(pardon my shooting it all). Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The OEM DBM is Fhuqking Dog Schit and trite. Hint.

Just sayin'.Hint.

A 6x45 needs wayyyyyyyyyyy more COAL,to even have a fhuqking chance and pardon my shooting a "few". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
What the heck is an AFI??
Posted By: slickyboyboo Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint.

The Howie Mini's are COAL trite and a Goat Fhuqk Platform for 223/223AI...if only because boolits matter wayyyyyyyyy more than fhuqking headstamps. Hint.

Simply bush the .378" 223's 'face,along with the striker and it's hole. Go 22 PPC AFI and bask in the fhuqking sanctity of 88 ELD and 90 BeerCan magfed Smooches. All of which crush the 6 ARC and 6x45(pardon my shooting it all). Hint.

The OEM DBM is Fhuqking Dog Schit and trite. Hint.

Just sayin'.Hint.

A 6x45 needs wayyyyyyyyyyy more COAL,to even have a fhuqking chance and pardon my shooting a "few". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Hint Hint, I don’t want or need anything else with the PPC boltface, I’ve already got that covered with the 224 Grendel and 6.5 Grendel.

Also, the first thing I got rid of was the factory DBM, and installed a Jefferson Outdoors BDL style bottom metal.
May look into a 6mm-22 Nosler. It will give me 30+ gr of H20 capacity with a rebated .378 boltface.
Rabid,

Alaskan Fhuqking Improved. Hint.

Lotsa ways to get there,but I'm a Lapooey Slut and like false shoulders,ala 264 Grendel. Hint.

I barely have halfa fhuqking dozen rifles so chambered. Hint...............(grin)

DumbFhuqkingDooDoo,

Your Day Dreaming Delusions are fhuqking HILARIOUS...you poor poor(literally) Kchunt. Hint.

Bless your heart,you CLUELESS Fhuqktard.

The Nuzzler Notion is HILARIOUS!

Hint......................
Posted By: beretzs Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/14/22
So a 22 Grendel correct?

Lotsa appeal in an AR for me there if that’s the case.

What sorta speed on 75-77 grain stuff?
Rabid,

Lotsa ways to get there,but I'm a Lapooey Slut and like false shoulders,ala 264 Grendel. Hint.

I barely have halfa fhuqking dozen rifles so chambered. Hint...............(grin)

DumbFhuqkingDooDoo,

Your Day Dreaming Delusions are fhuqking HILARIOUS...you poor poor(literally) Kchunt. Hint.

Sounds like you got some serious mental stability issues, from everything that I have attempted to read.
Rabid,

DumbFhuqkingDooDoo,

I had a strange feeling that was it!!! laugh

Mike
Originally Posted by beretzs
So a 22 Grendel correct?

Lotsa appeal in an AR for me there if that’s the case.

What sorta speed on 75-77 grain stuff?

Yep, tackled that one a while back. 3k is easy peasy with 75s, but you can push them to 3100 with the right powder combo.

[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]
Poo Poo,

I am "SURPRISED" that you fixate Dog Schit Brass and swoon same...you "lucky" fhuqking kchunt. Hint.

LOVE the seating mark. Hint.

LAUGHING!...................
Poo Poo,

I am "SURPRISED" that you fixate Dog Schit Brass and swoon same...you "lucky" fhuqking kchunt. Hint.

LOVE the seating mark. Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Why you no speak English? Hint Hint
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/15/22
A lot of answers that don't much seem aligned with your original question.
If varmints are primary, deer are a distant second, and your state has no restriction on chambering for deer, I think the .223 is just fine. If you want to get "custom", by all means do an AI. But if coyotes and lesser varmints are its main prey, I wouldn't step up above .22 caliber.

Just my dos centavos,
Rex
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: What to rebarrel to?? - 01/17/22
i'd 8 twist a 223

load some 77gr tmk and go fill whatever tag i felt like.
© 24hourcampfire