Home
Doing a build on a Defiance AnTi. Plan to go with a hinged floorplate and a Wyatts box. Looking at Hawkins & Grayboe. Are there others I should consider as well?
Posted By: 805 Re: Hinged Floorplate Bottom Metal - 01/15/22
Hawkins is excellent quality bottom metal. I’d go that route. The grayboe I can’t get over the big G they put on the release button and it’s shaped a little funky.
Have 2 Hawkins, they are nice and can't see anything else that would be better.
those are both nice, Sunnyhills is another good one
I recommend the following as it gives you the option to switch to an M5 DBM later if you wish and is also setup for the longer OAL of the extended wyatt's boxes. Catch is your stock should be inlet for M5 bottom metal instead of factory, which isn't a big deal if you're ordering the stock but it would need to be inlet to M5 if you already have it:

https://hawkinsprecision.com/product/m5-oberndorf-bottom-metal/
Hawkins all the way!!
Originally Posted by drano 25
Doing a build on a Defiance .... Plan to go with a hinged floorplate and a Wyatts box....

I did that. did not feed. I was told to pinch the magazine.
................. and a Wyatts box.
Well,............good luck.
Originally Posted by Redneck
................. and a Wyatts box.
Well,............good luck.

Care to elaborate?
Another vote for Hawkins.

As for the Wyatt box, I used one with the Hawkins bottom metal in my latest build (Remage 260) and it worked fine, but have heard internet stories of them not working with other Remington clone actions, so YMMV.
Wyatts didn’t work for me either. Doesn’t defiance have a long short action option?
So, the M5 Oberndorf bottom metal, that JCM linked above, specifically says it “is designed for Wyatt extended length box magazines.” The standard Oberndorf bottom metal doesn’t say that. In the video below from Wyatt himself addressing potential feeding issues as solutions, he notes the potential to have machine the bottom metal.

https://youtu.be/IMuFk6CP6OM

I’m wondering if ordering the M5 version might eliminate one potential cause of feeding issues?
I have a Hawkins BDL bottom metal (non-M5 version) on a Defiance Anti Long Action with a Wyatts box. There is a relief cut at the back of the Wyatts box that allows it to sit on the regular Hawkins BDL bottom metal (Box came this way, wasn’t modified). Everything bolts up great and feeding is not an issue. I used a proof pre-fit and put it together myself too.

I had originally used a regular length box (I don’t reload, so length isn’t needed) but there is a ton of extra room in the magwell behind the box. Swapped out for the Wyatts and it fills the magwell much better.
Originally Posted by Sevens
I have a Hawkins BDL bottom metal (non-M5 version) on a Defiance Anti Long Action with a Wyatts box. There is a relief cut at the back of the Wyatts box that allows it to sit on the regular Hawkins BDL bottom metal (Box came this way, wasn’t modified). Everything bolts up great and feeding is not an issue. I used a proof pre-fit and put it together myself too.

I had originally used a regular length box (I don’t reload, so length isn’t needed) but there is a ton of extra room in the magwell behind the box. Swapped out for the Wyatts and it fills the magwell much better.

Thanks for info!

I ordered a Hawkins M5 Oberndorf plus a Wyatt’s box, spring and follower from Redhawk.
I'd sloowwwwwww your fhuqking roll and get the horse back in front of the fhuqking cart. Wyatt is simply Dog Schit Fhuqking Junk. Hint.

So back the fhuqk up,connect some dots and you can be kept from painting yourself into more than one corner. Hint.

1) Chambering/RPM/Contour/Throat?
2}Projectile(s) of intent?
3) Stock?
4) Application?
5) Mounting system/optic?

Hint.................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd sloowwwwwww your fhuqking roll and get the horse back in front of the fhuqking cart. Wyatt is simply Dog Schit Fhuqking Junk. Hint.

So back the fhuqk up,connect some dots and you can be kept from painting yourself into more than one corner. Hint.

1) Chambering/RPM/Contour/Throat?
2}Projectile(s) of intent?
3) Stock?
4) Application?
5) Mounting system/optic?

Hint.................

Haven’t done anything that can’t be undone yet.

1) 7-08/TBD (8.5”-8.7” is plan)/TBD (Brux #2, Rock #3, Bart 2B ballpark)/TBD (162 ELDM at box length?)
2) 139/145 LRX for most hunting, 162 ELDM for play.
3) Not ordered, but probably AG Privateer
4) See below
5) Hawkins LR Hybrid (25MOA). No inclination needed for primary use, but can’t see that it hurts to have it if I need it for play. Optic, see below.

Primary use is Arkansas whitetail, but occasional trip out west for pronghorn or mule deer. Want to be ~7.5 lbs, scopes and empty. Yes, I’m a lazy walk to my stand hunter, morning and evening……but in between I do a fair amount of walking and there aren’t many flat areas on the properties I hunt.

Scope candidates are NF SHV 3-10 or SWFA 3-9. Probably more of a FFP vs SFP question. For most of my hunting I prefer SFP. I have a 3-12 LRTS on another rifle. I get what FFP offers, just not sure it adds any value for this rifles primary use.

Thinking Wyatts box to keep the 162 from occupying powder capacity.
I ordered the M5 Oberndorf bottom metal as JCM suggested above. It is an
Ounce heavier than their standard Obendorf. Seems substantial. It is cut for the Wyatts extended box, which I also ordered along with a Wyatts spring and follower, and a TriggerTech…all in stock from RHR. Brownells had the Hawkins LR Hybrid rings for Defiance actions in stock.

No barrel to screw in to toy with actual feeding. I’ve ran several loaded and empty cartridges (6.5x55, 243 & 6.5 Creedmoor) through it. It picked them all cleanly from the mag and spit them out the front of the action.

Liking these rings. Definitely more substantial than Talleys. Fit to the AnTi receiver body appears better than any other combo I recall.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Looking good - will be a fine rifle when all completed!!
For another anecdotal reference point...

I built a 6.5PRC a couple years ago using a Bighorn SR3 short action.

The stock I bought (used) had an M5 cut, so I bought both a flush bottom metal and an M5 BDL from Hawkins (along with the Wyatts 6.5PRC kit).
The Terminus magazine that I used in the flush fit bottom metal worked the first time and every time.
The BDL kit needed some massaging of the follower spring to get the back of the cartridge up where the bolt would grab it. When I first installed it the first round would always pick up, but then the base of subsequent rounds were not popping up high enough. I thought I had it fixed, but it cost me a follow up shot. So you really need to check it and do some testing with live ammo incase the shells are moving in the magazine.

Good Luck,
Ross
© 24hourcampfire