Home
Posted By: Mkopmani 243 Ackley Improved Pet Loads - 02/12/22
Just picked up a 243 Ackley Improved. Plans are to use it for Coyote hunting and target shoot with it. Anyone out there have any pet loads you can share? It looks like 6mm Remington is closer for load data than 243 Win in the manuals when comparing case capacities. Thanks!
What bullet you planning on ?
Originally Posted by mibowhunter
What bullet you planning on ?

I've not bought any bullets yet but am looking at the 87gr V-Max and the 108gr ELD Hornadys for target. I'm not stuck on any bullet but have had a lot of success with Sierra Match Kings in 30 cal 308, 30-06, and 300 RUM and ELDs in 6.5 in my 264 WM.
105s with cases full of RL26.

Originally Posted by Mkopmani
243 Ackley Improved Pet Loads needed

Where's Stick when you need him?

This was one of his go-to's before he caught the gay (Kreedmire)

About time he contributes something useful around here. . . .

You better divulge the twist of said rifle so you can receive a proper tongue-lashing (you can thank me later)
What twist is your 243AI?
Not too "surprising",that Whiners will always find reason(s) to Whine. Hint.

I shoot a "few" chambering in said bore size and often on the same day. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The 243AI dupes 6mm Rem case capacity and is a vastly superior mechanical design. Like capacity,uses like data,arranges like performance,at like barrel length and like pressure. I want a Hornie 105 HPBT and '17,unless RPM and COAL grant opportunity for .6xx BC's. Hint..................

I summoned the Great Swami, yet no pet loads were revealed - I can feel the OP's disappointment . . .
Rifle particulars haven't been cited and not even I,can load for Imaginary Rifles...though others "can". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
I've had several 243 Ackleys and love 'em.

In mine, with <90 gr. bullet weights and 10 twisted barrels, H414, WW760 (same/same powder, now) and Accurate 2700 gave best results. Primers were Fed 210s, either standard or match giving the same results even in sub zero weather.

If the back end of the teamer has been spec'd to work with Lapua 243 cases, life will really be good for you. F-forming with a top end charge of fast-ish powder for the standard 243W, the bullets firmly into the lands (.020 past the 'just touching' point) and cases very lightly oiled with 3-In-1 or something similar will give you great cases on the first firing.

For load data with a F-formed case, start with top end loads for the standard 243W or, as 'Stick mentioned, hop to the 6MM Remington standard case and go from there.

Good shootin'. -Al
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Rifle particulars haven't been cited and not even I,can load for Imaginary Rifles...though others "can". Hint.

Oh geez, THIS ding dong again.....Hint, hint.....haha
Rifle is a Hart 2A action, RW Hart rifle. It's due to arrive Thursday. Have to check twist on it, but I believe it's 1:9.
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I've had several 243 Ackleys and love 'em.

In mine, with <90 gr. bullet weights and 10 twisted barrels, H414, WW760 (same/same powder, now) and Accurate 2700 gave best results. Primers were Fed 210s, either standard or match giving the same results even in sub zero weather.

If the back end of the teamer has been spec'd to work with Lapua 243 cases, life will really be good for you. F-forming with a top end charge of fast-ish powder for the standard 243W, the bullets firmly into the lands (.020 past the 'just touching' point) and cases very lightly oiled with 3-In-1 or something similar will give you great cases on the first firing.

For load data with a F-formed case, start with top end loads for the standard 243W or, as 'Stick mentioned, hop to the 6MM Remington standard case and go from there.

Good shootin'. -Al

Thanks for the constructive advice!
Originally Posted by Mkopmani

Oh geez, THIS ding dong again.....Hint, hint.....haha
Rifle is a Hart 2A action, RW Hart rifle. It's due to arrive Thursday. Have to check twist on it, but I believe it's 1:9.

Fhuqktard,

THAT was awesome and I appreciate you doing your fhuqking best! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
Stick and Al both gave great advice if it will apply to your rifle.

I've had several 243 AIs and have a soft spot for the chambering.

I've had one 1 in 9 and 2 one in 8 twists. My favorite load in all was a 105 hornady, either amax or hpbt with 44 grains of h4350. RL 17 also is wonderful.

Mine were throated to fit the 105s in the mag box of a remington with room to spare, something to consider. If you have too long a throat going aics is the easiest route .

6mm rem data is a great starting point for formed cases
Originally Posted by woodson

If you have the twist, and the powder, this is a really good combo.

48 grains in formed Lapua cases scoots at 3,128 fps in my 21" PacNor.
Never heard of it. IMR? Hint..............

[bleep]

I'm going to try Staball in mine when I knock the cobwebs off of it. Can't stop shooting the 6br and 6 creed long enough to mess with mine
Admittedly,I'm SWEET on the 270 and 6 PPC AFI both. Hint..............
Originally Posted by Higginez
Originally Posted by woodson

If you have the twist, and the powder, this is a really good combo.

48 grains in formed Lapua cases scoots at 3,128 fps in my 21" PacNor.

It’s awesome isn’t it? Glad I bought what I did when I did.

It’s far too much fun.
Originally Posted by Dude270
[bleep]

I'm going to try Staball in mine when I knock the cobwebs off of it. Can't stop shooting the 6br and 6 creed long enough to mess with mine

The 6 ARC is an animal in an AR in my book. Been spreading the word as much as people will listen. As a straight up no horseshit deal it’s hard to go wrong.

The 6 creed ain’t a slouch either.
Legit worthy of building a rifle around.
You fhuqking fhuqkers,are hard to fhuqking deal with. Hint.

I've only a trio of 243 Ark's and an (4) in Seex Kreed'. Hint.

None slower than 8"...........
You fhuqking fhuqkers,are hard to fhuqking deal with. Hint.

I've only a trio of 243 Ark's and an (4) in Seex Kreed'. Hint.

None slower than 8"...........

I’ve got the Aero upper on one, a 1-7. I wouldn’t want less. I think the Howa is a 1-7 1/2 and that’s been about as easy as a guy could want.

Both of them make me look like I have a clue.
Originally Posted by pullit
What twist is your 243AI?

Sorry, I've been off the site for a while.
Twist is 1:8, 28" barrel. So 85-100gr bullets seem to make sense.
If it's a 1:9 twist you will be somewhat limited in bullets. Rare to see a custom with other than 7 or 7.5 these days. Mine have all been 7 twist which lets me shoot about anything.

With a 9 twist I would be looking at 70 grain Ballistic tips for starters. I will be stunned if you can shoot the 105s with that twist.
He said it’s a 1-8”. I wouldn’t be stunned if a 1-9” 243AI will stabilize a 105. My old 243 barrel would shot the 105 amax and so will my brothers 6mm Remington. Both factory barrels and I don’t think they were 1-9”? I could be wrong but think they’re something like 9 1/4 maybe? Anyway he said he has a1-8” with a 28” barrel so he should be fine with any 105/8’s I can think of.
A true 9" will certainly stabilize 105's,in said chambering. Big Green spouts were 9" and small change,which also stabilizes same. Hint..................
I would be more concerned with a my 28” barrel on a gun I’m hunting with. First thing I would do is have 5-6 inches cut off.

I take that back. I’d work up a load and record velocity as it was cut down. I don’t know if I’d really do it or not but it would be interesting to see first hand results on velocity loss per inch or two cut.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
He said it’s a 1-8”. I wouldn’t be stunned if a 1-9” 243AI will stabilize a 105. My old 243 barrel would shot the 105 amax and so will my brothers 6mm Remington. Both factory barrels and I don’t think they were 1-9”? I could be wrong but think they’re something like 9 1/4 maybe? Anyway he said he has a1-8” with a 28” barrel so he should be fine with any 105/8’s I can think of.

Agreed. This is out of my sons first rifle using the AMaxs about 10+ years ago. It is one of them youth M700 ADLs.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Not it’s finest showing but he cut his teeth shooting a pile of them at rocks and water jugs. Even with the crappy trigger and 2x7 Leupold he did fine.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I promised I wouldn’t make him suffer with it like that and will get it fixed up for him grin
Well you could replace the scope rings trigger barrel and stock. Heck it would even kill stuff just as good as it does now….grin.
Well you could replace the scope rings trigger barrel and stock. Heck it would even kill stuff just as good as it does now….grin.

It’ll catch an update. That little stock is a little short for us. Maybe a Trigger Tedh, along with a scope. He might as well have it well set up. He’s done a bunch of killing with that cheap little rifle.
That will be cool. My first and second rifles were a 700 and a 7. One became a 6creed and the other a 708. I like taking childhood things or sentimental rifles like that and fixing them up the way I want them now. I know some times it might make more sense to just get a custom action but I like my old hand me down stuff too. I’m sure your son will be excited to see what you come up with.
Not all 105s are created equal
Some of my boxes state 1-8 twist right on the box
denise,

Your sheer and utter fhuqking CLUELESSNESS,never disappoints. Hint.

Projectile Stability is a function of gross RPM,which is the melding of forward momentum,WITH twist rate. Boolit makers would help Dumbfhuqkers like you,if they stated a minimum gross RPM,in a given atmosphere,as a stability indicator. Until then,you get to guess,as you "shoot" your mouth and Imagination,while Pretending. Hint.

For clarity,the 243AI accelerates all 105's at a nice clip and now even you "know". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................
That will be cool. My first and second rifles were a 700 and a 7. One became a 6creed and the other a 708. I like taking childhood things or sentimental rifles like that and fixing them up the way I want them now. I know some times it might make more sense to just get a custom action but I like my old hand me down stuff too. I’m sure your son will be excited to see what you come up with.

Thanks Kaleb. It’s a work in progress. Kids an active duty Marine so just getting him some hunt time yearly is a challenge. It’s cool to see him light up when he gets cool guns/gear when he ventures home.
Velocity only helps so much. Twist rate much more important than velocity.
Too bad your so single minded and simple
denise,

Describe "your" 1-9" 243AI,that "won't" stabilize 105's,as per the BEST of your Imagination and Pretend...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon 3rd from bottom,being one of said configuration and more than a touch happy with 105 Hornie's('Max/HPBT),108 RLD M's and 105 Booger(HighBirds). Hint.

Pardon my simply shooting it all,as you set astride your Couchbound Kchunt and guess aloud. Not that your Magnificent STUPIDITY,ain't funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Never seen a 9 twist that would not stabilize a 105 BTHP, and I've had plenty to experiment with.
Both muzzle velocity and twist rate are factors in determining gyroscopic stability, but stability depends quadratically on twist rate and on the cubed root of muzzle velocity. For example, a change in twist rate going from 1:9” to 1:10” is equivalent to going from 3000 fps MV to ~1600 fps.

That being said, according to the Miller stability model a true 9” twist will stabilize even a Berger 105 Hybrid at 3000 fps, at sea level, down to below freezing temps. I prefer to stay in the super-stable regime (7” twist) for BC reasons, but 9” will at least stabilize it in most air density conditions. The 105 HPBT and AM are shorter and easier to stabilize than the 105 Hybrid. The model shows that a 9” twist stabilizes the 105 HPBT at sea level down to below -40 F.

Most of my experience is above sea level, but a 9.125” twist has always stabilized the 105 HPBT/AM down to about -40 F for me.
In a modest length 243AI(22") shown,I tend to whistle 105's at 3250fps. However in FULL disclosure,the pic was BELOW sealevel,due the tide. My apologies for the confusion. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
LOL, don’t see too many guys shooting below sea level.
Very fhuqking FEW folks actually shoot anything,other than their mouths and Imaginations. It's never been difficult to savvy who do and who don't. It is often plum interesting,to shoot a gaggle of like diameters,in more than a few different chamberings,side by each. Same goes like chamberings,in a spectrum of Twist Rates. Hint.

At least denise "gets" to read about it and ogle The Splendid Pixels,as she feverishly reads the side of a box,hoping for a FIRST Fhuqking Clue. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

To the chagrin of Crying Karens everywhere,spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial. Hint..............
Very fhuqking FEW folks actually shoot anything,other than their mouths and Imaginations. It's never been difficult to savvy who do and who don't. It is often plum interesting,to shoot a gaggle of like diameters,in more than a few different chamberings,side by each. Same goes like chamberings,in a spectrum of Twist Rates. Hint.

At least denise "gets" to read about it and ogle The Splendid Pixels,as she feverishly reads the side of a box,hoping for a FIRST Fhuqking Clue. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

To the chagrin of Crying Karens everywhere,spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial. Hint..............

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pix or it didn't happen!

ya!

GWB
8" RPM sumptin' or other,yesterday morning. Hint.

NOTHING is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan trying to "talk" Rifles,or taking their own schitty pictures. Plum fascinatin',how they can botch sooooooooo much,sooooooooooo fhuqking reliably. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................
i built a couple of 6mm -284 rifles years ago both shoot well but by todays standard have the wrong twist 1-12 they are accurate with 70 gr. ballistic tips and fast 3900 fps out of a 28 inch barrel and really smack prairie dogs .
12 Twist
with zero freebore

Fire form load: 47-47.5g of Win 760, 68-70g bullet, Kiss lands, CCI 250, 3750-3800 depending on the barrel length; Rem brass

Formed load: 48.0-48.5g of Win 760, 68-70g Bullets, kiss the lands, cci 250-3800-3850 fps with less than 10 fps SD; 3800-3850 fps

Rem Brass and never use your full length sizer

There is a wide range of powder charges with the above to where the max load is around 50.2g at 4030 fps on a 30" barrel, 12T, zero freebore

Accuracy in the formed load with the zero freebore, rem brass, cci 250, kissing the lands is in the area of .250 and less on three shot groups;

Barrel life is very good with the win 760 and AA2700 is even better.

This was our p. dog rifle loads to 600 yards with good acrobatics from p. dogs and chucks. ON a 30" unturned blank, we set the barrel back at 1800 rounds where .100 of leade growth had occured. We got three chambers on the 30" blank as 243 AI, then the 4th chamber was a 6 BR, usually 22-24" depending on the bore dia. AA2700 is really easy on barrels with Win 760 running second place, check your heat index chart. AA2700 is one of the coolest powders made.

We rarely had to shoot 600 yds, 450 was our max, but the speed sure helped the wind bucking ability, where you needed to see dogs taking off like bottle rockets!~

Keith
denise,

Your sheer and utter fhuqking CLUELESSNESS,never disappoints. Hint.

Projectile Stability is a function of gross RPM,which is the melding of forward momentum,WITH twist rate. Boolit makers would help Dumbfhuqkers like you,if they stated a minimum gross RPM,in a given atmosphere,as a stability indicator. Until then,you get to guess,as you "shoot" your mouth and Imagination,while Pretending. Hint.

For clarity,the 243AI accelerates all 105's at a nice clip and now even you "know". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Given that there is a gross RPM, it's logical to assume there must also be a net RPM. So, what's net RPM? Thank you in advance for your help with this.
I suggest you contact Denise,as she flaps her Fairy Wings and chases Butterflies with her net. Hopefully,you gals can synchronize Flow and right your Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................
Originally Posted by beretzs

It’ll catch an update. That little stock is a little short for us. Maybe a Trigger Tedh, along with a scope. He might as well have it well set up. He’s done a bunch of killing with that cheap little rifle.

ADL? I might have a hunters edge In ADL that would fit it for a US Marine.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by beretzs

ADL? I might have a hunters edge In ADL that would fit it for a US Marine.

That’d be sweet.

Just seeing this. I’ll shoot you a PM.
© 24hourcampfire