Home
Posted By: 6MMWASP Fast twist 22-250 AI barrel - 04/26/22
I am going to re-barrel a Kimber Montana to 22-250 AI and going to use a Lilja modified 84M contour. I want to try the 88 grain ELD-M but if it doesn't preform on deer and antelopeI will probably drop down to a 75 Swift Scorocco or 75 Hornady HP's for hunting.

I live at 3000 ft elevation and all the hunting I do with this rifle will be at this elevation.

Question 1-7 or 1-8 twist
3 groove or 4.

I already have die and brass so the Creed argument doesn't much matter.

Thanks
7" RPM and 88's,if not 90gr Beer Cans. Hint................
Posted By: z1r Re: Fast twist 22-250 AI barrel - 04/26/22
I use a 7" twist on my .22-250 AI.
An 8 will spin them but I'd definitely go 1 in 7. I've got a 3 groove lilja on my 223 AI and have no complaints.

You will like how the 88 works on critters.
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I am going to re-barrel a Kimber Montana to 22-250 AI and going to use a Lilja modified 84M contour. I want to try the 88 grain ELD-M but if it doesn't preform on deer and antelopeI will probably drop down to a 75 Swift Scorocco or 75 Hornady HP's for hunting.

I live at 3000 ft elevation and all the hunting I do with this rifle will be at this elevation.

3 groove or 4.

Thanks

Any particular reason you’re going AI instead of Creedmoor?

John
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

3 groove or 4.

Thanks

Any particular reason you’re going AI instead of Creedmoor?

John

John I already have 22-250 dies and fireformed brass so that made my decision easier.

3 groove or 4.

Thanks

I have and have had many 22-250AI's over the years (I have my own reamer)..........that said
A 22-250AI with 1-7"twist 3 groove is a Fhuqking disaster waiting to happen. more bullets will blow-up than make it to target, if going this route absolutely go with a 5R or 5C or 6groove barrel. the 3 groove barrels work well with 223 velocities but not with 22-250 velocities BTDT
I'm around 12 to 1300 FT elevation and a standard factory eight twist 22 250 runs the 88 quite well here. Seven might do a better job if I really wanted to shoot the 88 and maybe go to Sierra 90s and 95s I would certainly do a 7 twist. If 88s are going to be the heaviest you want to shoot I might stick with an 8 twist or even a 7.7..
No downside to extra twist that I can see.

1 in 8 might group 88s well, mine does, but you are probably marginally stabilized and giving up some B.C.
Originally Posted by boatanchor

3 groove or 4.

Thanks

I have and have had many 22-250AI's over the years (I have my own reamer)..........that said
A 22-250AI with 1-7"twist 3 groove is a Fhuqking disaster waiting to happen. more bullets will blow-up than make it to target, if going this route absolutely go with a 5R or 5C or 6groove barrel. the 3 groove barrels work well with 223 velocities but not with 22-250 velocities BTDT

Depends on bullet weight... I tried shooting 40's out of my 7 twist 223AI with a 5r barrel, and it was blowing up bullets mid-air. You'd see a puff of smoke about 50 yds out. I posted that here prior, and the experts called me a liar....

I'd build an 8 twist, but I also shoot at 7000'. I believe Sierra claims you need a 6.5 twist for their 90's, but I am guessing they are assuming a 223 at sea level. Velocity and elevation gives you more latitude with regards to twist rates...
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by boatanchor

3 groove or 4.

Thanks

Depends on bullet weight... I tried shooting 40's out of my 7 twist 223AI with a 5r barrel, and it was blowing up bullets mid-air. You'd see a puff of smoke about 50 yds out. I posted that here prior, and the experts called me a liar....

I'd build an 8 twist, but I also shoot at 7000'. I believe Sierra claims you need a 6.5 twist for their 90's, but I am guessing they are assuming a 223 at sea level. Velocity and elevation gives you more latitude with regards to twist rates...

Dogcatcher,

Nobody called you a liar in regards to your blowing up Sierra bullets with too fast a twist. The consensus was that Hornady Vmax and Nosler Ballistic tips don't have the issue.

Playing the fool and the victim has become your strong suit.

Get some!
I've shot jazillion's of 32,33,35 and 40's outta 7" RPM 223,223AI,22 PPC AFI,22-250AI and 22 Kreedmire spouts,with nary a "blow up". Hint.

'Course I have an 8" 22 Kreedmire too,or "maybe" more. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

But MUCH prefer my 7" and 7.5" RPM's,chambered same. Hint.

I LOVE 3-groovers and have more than a "few",though "only" (5) rifles total in 224 Kreedmire. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........
Posted By: PatB Re: Fast twist 22-250 AI barrel - 04/29/22
I am currently playing with a 22 Creed 8'' twist.. Pretty much same as the AI.. The 88's shoot well in it. Only killed a couple of critters thus far, coyotes.. You can damn sure hear the hit, WHOP, and down they went.

PS, like the Creed better than the AI, had a few of each. All on Stillers, Creed case feeds better than the AI.

Because of Stick and others my next barrel will be a 7 twist.. I'm interested in the 90's but the supply chain sux right now.
I hear good thangs about AICS DBM's. Hint...................(grin)
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle

Many here are averse & even hostile to other’s reasoning.

A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in expressing his own mind. Proverbs 18:2
You CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: horse1 Re: Fast twist 22-250 AI barrel - 04/30/22
Look at where projectiles were 10yrs ago, where they are now, and decide if you think that future R&D is going to require less twist?
"Catching dongs is worthy of understanding if expressing ones own mind in regards to Sierra bullets."

ARistotle
Originally Posted by Higginez
"Catching dongs is worthy of understanding if expressing ones own mind in regards to Sierra bullets."

ARistotle

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

- ThroatAristotle

Lol

🦫
GREAT CATCH Beave!
GREAT CATCH Beave!

😬🦫
Posted By: PatB Re: Fast twist 22-250 AI barrel - 05/01/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I hear good thangs about AICS DBM's. Hint...................(grin)

They do solve a lot of problems!
Would anyone like to share a starting load with RL17, RL 19 or 4831, 4350 starting loads for Hornady 88's for the 22 Creedmoor or 22-250AI.

Thanks
Originally Posted by Beaver10
GREAT CATCH Beave!

😬🦫

Do you happen to have a sister and does she have any Indian in her?
What is the value in running 88 grains out of the .22-250 as opposed to just running the .243 win, maybe even .243 ai?
Posted By: slm9s Re: Fast twist 22-250 AI barrel - 05/18/22
Would anyone like to share a starting load with RL17, RL 19 or 4831, 4350 starting loads for Hornady 88's for the 22 Creedmoor or 22-250AI.

Thanks

Don't sleep on RL26 either.

3 groove or 4.

Thanks

since I have a 22.250 with a one in 7 twist, and has a 243 length magazine... I like that, so yeah.. 1 in 7.

Thanks

With 88 elds I'm shooting

38.0 grains of RL 17 in a 22 creedmoor with alpha brass.
3100 fps from a 20" barrel

36.5 grain of H-4350 in a 22-250 AI with winchester brass.
3025 fps from a 22" bbl

These are safe in my rifles, work up accordingly.
Originally Posted by Oakster
What is the value in running 88 grains out of the .22-250 as opposed to just running the .243 win, maybe even .243 ai?

Please stop with the logic oak.

Just cuz
Originally Posted by slm9s

Thanks

Don't sleep on RL26 either.

I have some 26 as well slm. Care to share a starting load?
Originally Posted by Dude270

Thanks

With 88 elds I'm shooting

38.0 grains of RL 17 in a 22 creedmoor with alpha brass.
3100 fps from a 20" barrel

36.5 grain of H-4350 in a 22-250 AI with winchester brass.
3025 fps from a 22" bbl

These are safe in my rifles, work up accordingly.

Thanks for the data. Noted on start lower!
Posted By: keith Re: Fast twist 22-250 AI barrel - 06/30/22
So you know, 64g Winchester Sp, 65g Sierra btsp kill deer and hogs in the 22/250 AI. I shoot them through the slats. Remarkable accuracy build confidence in taking neck shots, shoulder shots, lung shots, diaphragm shots. Also, 80g A max shoots holes through deer on broadside shots in the 22/250 AI.

Those 50 lb hogs make for some really good eating.

If you like a race gun, 22-6 Rem AI, 51g of Retumbo with 80g A max at 3650 and NEVER full length size a case...never. Push the red line at 3800 with the 80's. Go long action on this rig for a Remington.

Confidence is everything...Aim Small-Miss Small-Stuff is not hard to kill!

Of course, 22 Creed is the EASY button!....I am set up for the 22/250 AI...for now.
Originally Posted by keith
So you know, 64g Winchester Sp, 65g Sierra btsp kill deer and hogs in the 22/250 AI. I shoot them through the slats. Remarkable accuracy build confidence in taking neck shots, shoulder shots, lung shots, diaphragm shots. Also, 80g A max shoots holes through deer on broadside shots in the 22/250 AI.

Those 50 lb hogs make for some really good eating.

If you like a race gun, 22-6 Rem AI, 51g of Retumbo with 80g A max at 3650 and NEVER full length size a case...never. Push the red line at 3800 with the 80's. Go long action on this rig for a Remington.

Confidence is everything...Aim Small-Miss Small-Stuff is not hard to kill!

Of course, 22 Creed is the EASY button!....I am set up for the 22/250 AI...for now.

The 22-250 is such a likeably cartridge though Keith. One of my favorites for sure. Does your AI have a 1 in 6.5 or 1 in 7" barrel?
© 24hourcampfire