Home
Posted By: jmp300wsm For the money - 05/14/22
What is the best custom action based on a Rem 700 footprint. I
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: For the money - 05/14/22
Too many too list just need to pick one with the features you prefer
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: For the money - 05/15/22
Not sure it's the best but it's sure up there. The Defiance Rebel is a really good one, especially since it can be spec'd out to your exact needs. This would be for a hunting action.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: For the money - 05/15/22
For value I’d look hard at defiance tenacity; also hear good things about the Mack Bro’s.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: For the money - 05/15/22
I have multiple and keep comparing them and others to Defiance, so that’s my answer.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: For the money - 05/15/22
Is anyone giving the Bergara action a look?
Posted By: Higginez Re: For the money - 05/15/22
I think a lot of guys would argue the 700 is the best. We live in great times though and the 700 footprint has become the standard. Lots of great stuff out there with just about every configuration imaginable if you've got the cash.

What are you wanting to build?

Heavy varmint single feed .20 Vartarg is gonna be a different answer than a light 7 Saum with a blind mag.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: For the money - 05/15/22
Might be a bit spendy but you cant go wrong with a BAT
Posted By: gene270 Re: For the money - 05/15/22
i have had two bordens and one defiance ....i prefer the borden myself

I currently have a pierce on order for 1050.00 it is a few hundred dollars less than the others
Posted By: Higginez Re: For the money - 05/16/22
Companies building 700 footprint custom actions off the top of my head.

Defiance
Kelbly
Bat Machine
Borden
Bighorn
Stiller
Pierce
Impact
American Rifle Company
Barnard
GAP
Surgeon
Lawton
Mack Bros.

I'm betting I've missed some.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: For the money - 05/16/22
Why does it need to be based on a 700? What do you want ? Do you have any idea?
Posted By: Higginez Re: For the money - 05/16/22
Kaleb,

Would you want to build off anything say, M70 based these days?

Stocks, triggers, DBM's, rails, etc. are almost all off the 700 footprint....
Posted By: kingston Re: For the money - 05/16/22
Mack Bros

Originally Posted by Higginez
Companies building 700 footprint custom actions off the top of my head.

Defiance
Kelbly
Bat Machine
Borden
Bighorn
Stiller
Pierce
Impact
American Rifle Company
Barnard
GAP
Surgeon
Lawton

I'm betting I've missed some.
Posted By: Darryle Re: For the money - 05/16/22
Any of the custom actions will do what you want. If you want light, a 17oz long action w/bolt and integral recoil lug is a pretty sweet start to a mountain rifle.

The Ti long action integral Skele-Ti will be right at 17-17.1oz

Pierce Titanium actions

Skeletonized version with a traditional pinned lug

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]
Posted By: Tarquin Re: For the money - 05/16/22
Very nice! Is the bolt also Ti? Also, did it come skeletonized from Pierce or did you have that work done after you received it?
Posted By: LBP Re: For the money - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Very nice! Is the bolt also Ti? Also, did it come skeletonized from Pierce or did you have that work done after you received it?
+1
Posted By: Darryle Re: For the money - 05/16/22
I don't have one, they just introduced them and they come Skeletonized directly from them.

I have some exciting news for you guys! We have developed a new lightweight hunting action at Pierce Engineering. This action is a skeletonized version of our successful Titanium action and it incorporates a lightened steel bolt. We were able to match the weight of our Ti Featherweight action by using a steel bolt opposed to a Ti bolt. We are still working on our short action version but the long actions are ready to be ordered! The Skele-Ti long action weighs a mere 17.5oz complete with dual pinned recoil lug. This is one of the lightest if not the lightest Remington footprint long action available today! The price is $1450 and $50 more for full DLC action body.

All Skele-Ti actions will have DLC coated bolts and DLC coating can be added to the action body as well for $50 extra. The lightened bolt features extra deep flutes but still remains unfluted on the bottom to retain smooth cycling and no scratching up your brass. Our bolt handle is skeletonized as well and made of hardened steel to prevent bending. This action retains the same size bolt, action body, bolt lugs, threads, etc. as our standard long actions and material wasn’t removed in those critical areas. Another exciting thing is these actions along with all of our other standard actions will be made with integral recoil lugs in the near future! The price on the integral Skele-Ti actions will be $1550. I’ll post some photos below. I hope you guys like it! Thank you.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: For the money - 05/16/22
Thanks gents. I will start researching these actions for one that fits my needs.
Posted By: richj Re: For the money - 05/16/22
Did this a while ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: For the money - 05/16/22
https://shop.kaugerarms.com/actions/
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: For the money - 05/16/22
BigHorn:

CRF, floating and replaceable bolt head, tool-free firing pin removal, 700 footprint, 700 stocks, integral recoil lug, pinned 20 or 30 MOA base, choice of bolt handles, choice of finish, and pre-fit barrels available.

It really is the best combination of parts for a versatile rig.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: For the money - 05/19/22
I'm in the process of building a custom on a Defiance Tenacity and the part I like best is the availability of pre-fit barrels, mine is a Proof 20" 308. Took less than an hour to fully assemble the rifle once I cobbled together all of the parts.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: For the money - 05/20/22
Not opposed to Defiance (Nesika). My money goes to Borden.
Posted By: Sevens Re: For the money - 05/22/22
For the money, the Bighorn Origin is my vote. I like the CRF and the removable bolt heads (versus needing a whole new bolt to change calibers). Lots of action for the money.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: For the money - 05/24/22
Originally Posted by Higginez
Kaleb,

Would you want to build off anything say, M70 based these days?

Stocks, triggers, DBM's, rails, etc. are almost all off the 700 footprint....

I just saw this again. I didn’t say that correctly. If I can remember what I was thinking last week it was something that he’s wanting might be offered in factory form without building. I just didn’t choose my words well. I certainly understand building one for just because too.
Posted By: slobob63 Re: For the money - 05/25/22
there are several,many big names.as far as the overall best with all the internal workings.borden actions are the best.many excellent actions,i own defiance,lone peak and stiller prec.jims are a notch above.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: For the money - 05/26/22
I'm having Dallas Lane build me a 280 AI using a Defiance Hunter action which was a couple of hundred bucks more than the Defiance Rebel action. It has the rail milled onto the receiver.

I had Jim See build me a 6.5 GAP 4S Mountain Rifle using a Pierce Titanium action. It shoots one hole with different weight bullets but the action is kind of tough.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: For the money - 05/26/22
For the money......Kelbly Atlast Tactical. If you wanna shave weight, Nanook...bomb proof..prometius.

I have an Impact.....not gunna lie. I like my Kelbly Atlas Tactical better thus far. Maybe just because it's more familiar to me. Time will tell. May end up selling the Impact and buying a Prometius for my comp rig.

I have around 2k rounds through my Atlas and it's been flawless. Super smooth easy running action. I also shoot on a very dusty/sandy range...

The Kelblys are awesome people too.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: For the money - 05/27/22
if buying again I would get a defiance action. I have a bat machine action, but defiance just has more options.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: For the money - 05/27/22
"True" your current 700 action, and you have a "custom", without tons of money....unless ofcourse you have tons of money.
© 24hourcampfire