Home
Im looking to restock a third back up gun, and Im thinking sbout a Bell & Carlson with the olive & Spiderweb in the Medalist series. Are they any good? Is the Medalist much better than the Carbellite?
I personally think the B&C medalist stocks are pretty good, almost as good as a H-S. I don't care for the carbellite.
Why don't you like the carbelite? strength? finish? Amount of work to get it glass bedded? Exterior demensions?

Originally Posted by cocomen69
Im looking to restock a third back up gun, and Im thinking sbout a Bell & Carlson with the olive & Spiderweb in the Medalist series. Are they any good? Is the Medalist much better than the Carbellite?
I like it plenty Green with black web [Linked Image]
I have two B&C stocks,,both on P-14 enfields. One in 500A Square and the other a 416 Rem Mag. Both are excellent.
dvdegeorge--- You go boy! Nice Buck! Is that a Medalist, or a carbellite?
I agree with Kampfeld, although I do have a Carbelite on a 35 Whelen. They definitely need to be bedded. They are not as stiff as Medalist series, which have the aluminum beeding block.......I also like the Ti stocks, which have a fit and feel I like and come with pillars.....
It's neither it's a DuraMaxx for a Savage heavy barrel,I'd agree with the others medalist is the way to go.Link to mine http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=696565
I have 2 Medalist stocks one on a Zastava Mauser in 375 H&H and one on a M700 SA. Also tried a Carbelite on the M700 for a time and replaced it with the Medalist.

I prefer the Medalists as they are laid heavier, have aluminum bedding blocks, and are quieter. The Mauser stock also came with a steel recoil lug imbedded behind the barrel lug. They aren't Mickeys or Rimrocks, but are as good or better than the HS stock I have on my M600 Rem.
The Rem Ti stock is very good and is a good value; like the ergos.

The Medalists are fine but heavy; have one on a Beretta Mato. Good ergos.

The Carbelites are pure junk and clutzy to boot.

MM
I ordered a Medalist last weekend, and then found and HS on sale for $199 two days later. Should have the Medalist this week, and which ever one is better, is the one I am keeping. I will post my opinions between the two this week, including weights.

Originally Posted by noKnees
Why don't you like the carbelite? strength? finish? Amount of work to get it glass bedded? Exterior demensions?

It just seems like the carbelite is a little on the flimsy side. It also seems like they're not inleted as nice as the Medalist. The one thing I like about the H-S stocks is that their fill seems to be a little denser, so if you have to do any extra inletting, the material's not so porous.
MM... My problem is that I am talking about a Remm 700 ADL, with a factory Std. .270 barrel, Arent the Ti stocks made for a Ti or mountain barrel contour? I dont know the repercussions of getting a Ti stock and trying to reconfigure the barrel channel for a standard barrel... That is why I was thinking B&C Medalist.... The problem I am finding is that they only make the medalist in BDL, so I would still have to find some bottom metal...
Bottom metal can be had for around $50-75.
I believe that the Rem LVSF stock is also a B&C, and they're very nice, especially if painted some colour other than black.

The Carbelites are not particularly rigid, but do work pretty well if you have them pillar bedded. We've used them on a couple of rifles for my wife, as they seem to absorb recoil better than most.
DC... Definitely post your findings... It would be a help.
BTW, where did you find the HS for $199?
Cocomen, sent you a PM.
Have not done it myself, but others who I think are reliable have told me a standard caliber 700 barrel will go into the Ti stock.

Needs a little sanding.......

Would not hesitate to make it work.

MM
Making the Ti work is very easy.....
I have a Carbelite on a Mauser 98 and while it isn't my favorite synthetic stock, it is very functional. I don't mind the lines, but I have pretty big hands and long arms, so maybe it just doesn't feel bulky to me. As previous posters have mentioned, it isn't particularly stiff in the forend department. However, the Ti and LVSF stocks that are made by B&C that I've handled (several) have not been any stiffer. In fact, one of the first things I noticed about the Ti stock is that it isn't particularly stiff. My Bansner Sheephunter blows it away in that area and considering the cost Ti stocks are going for now ($200) that is definitely the route I would take were I in the market for a lightweight.

But back to the Carbelite, I full length neutral bedded the barrel 3 years ago. The stock absorbs recoil well and is very comfortable to shoot. I think for $150 they are a a decent buy, certainly serviceable and every bit as stiff as the Ti stocks.
I have a medalist stock on my most accurate gun, a rem 700 .280. I feel they are a little trimmer than the H/S although the website say they are the same weight. The medalist comes with the standard barrel channel (non mag) and the HS comes with a wider magnum barrel channel, although both will fit. Since you are putting it into a standard non magnum action, the medalist will free float without much space around the barrel channel. The medalist has a better, softer recoil pad (Decellerator) than the harder, Uncle Mikes pad found on the H/S.

Just my two cents.
© 24hourcampfire