Home
On a P-17 reworked action.
Might be fun if it has any rifling left !
So what is a .270-4000? It's a 1917 so it'll be a tank.
30 Newton necked to 270.
4000 fps in the 30s w/100 gr bullet.
I will punch your Loony card UTP - for doing a wildcat of a wildcat.

Of course you could have simplified things and just did a .270-8x68 Imp. smirk
A 300 Newton was not a wildcat. Factory ammo was made.
Should be able to make cases out of the 375 Ruger easy enough.
Correct but 1st I want to see if it has any rifling left.
Dave7mm has a 270 STW. Pretty neat hunting rifle.
Originally Posted by UpThePole

Curious - I didn't know that. Did they make factory ammo for the 35 Newton also?
here's some info:

"Charles Newton designed the .22 Hi-Power and .250-3000 for Savage over a century ago. He also developed a line of high-performance hunting rounds and rifles, including the .256 (actually 6.5mm caliber), .270, .30, .33, and .35 Newtons. The .30 Newton originated soon after the .375 H&H Magnum was introduced in 1912. However, unlike the .375 H&H with its belted case, the .30 Newton was beltless. But the case head diameter was almost as large as the H&H’s. Although overall length was the same as the .30-06, the .30 Newton certainly delivered magnum performance."

There was also a 400 Newton.

Reproduction cases are available at about 4 bucks each.

30-06 length non-belted magnums are nothing new !
Originally Posted by beretzs

I tried this for my 30 Newton. Not as easy as it sounds - about a 50% failure rate. All is good until you push the shoulder back.
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Originally Posted by beretzs

I tried this for my 30 Newton. Not as easy as it sounds - about a 50% failure rate. All is good until you push the shoulder back.

I made 35 Newton from mine so it wasn’t as drastic. Makes sense the 30 Newton would be tougher and depend a bunch on the lube used as well.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by UpThePole

Curious - I didn't know that. Did they make factory ammo for the 35 Newton also?

I have a couple loaded rounds of original Newton rounds in my collection. I love the 35 Newton myself. One of my favorite wildcats.
© 24hourcampfire