Home
Thought I would ask. Never seen this on a rifle until i saw a custom Mauser with this roll mark on it. Anyone got any ideas?

K
Wonder if the rifle in question is a 308 and the gunsmith was missing their "8" stamp and used a "B" instead?
The B sounds like a misshapen 8 to me
I thought it might be the same thing, but there is a space after the ".30" and a period after the "B"...causing me to think there was a gap in my knowledge of wildcats. Here's a pic...what do you guys think?

Description: 30B
Attached picture 30 B win pic.jpeg
That's interesting.

I don't know.
Not a roll stamp, it's hand stamped.
Being hand stamped would seem to cause things to lean towards a "B" being substituted for an "8" I guess...
and the knucklehead put the . on the wrong end!

30B.

.30B
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
and the knucklehead put the . on the wrong end!

30B.

.30B

And a double punch after Win
Gunsmith didn’t have his “readers” on and picked up the B stamp vs. 8. Have you done a chamber cast? Will a factory 308 chamber?
30 black velvet.
I'm surprised Redgewell hasn't chimed in on this. The rifle is plainly a 30 British; an improvement on the 308 known to few. Hence the confusion. GD
Wait..."30 British"?...is that another form of the 280 British that the Brits and Canadians were trying to get the US to adopt before WWII?

Just to be clear...I do not own this rifle. I just saw it and was interested. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to have a chamber cast made...though you would have to go on known measurements because I do not know where one would get a "30 British" or "280 British" cartridge to compare. I do think, if this actually turns out to be a 30 British or some such, it is odd to find such an unusual intermediate cartridge in a custom Mauser, but who the hell knows when or why it would have been created.

K
??? 30 Belted Win = 300 Win Mag ???

Bruce
Maybe a chamber cast is in order ? DUH !
© 24hourcampfire