Home
Posted By: Thaine 7mm DGS - 11/15/22
I am the proud new owner of a Ruger #1 with a Les Bauska barrel installed and chambered 7mm DGS. It is an auction site purchase that came with 100 cases and a set of RCBS dies. The cartridge is based on the 7X57 and is "improved" a bit more than the Ackley version. The neck is shorter and shoulder angle is steeper. Does anyone know of a source of information on this cartridge or have any experience with it? I will check case capacity and figure starting with 7mm Ackley loads will get me in the ballpark. I cross posted this in the reloading/big game rifles section. Thanks in advance.
Thaine
Posted By: drano 25 Re: 7mm DGS - 11/16/22
DGS = Dollar General Store?
Posted By: Thaine Re: 7mm DGS - 11/16/22
Can't say for sure, but my best guess would be Dale's Gun Shop. It was/is a shop (DGS Inc.) run by Dale A Storey in Casper Wyoming. I managed to get his number today and talked to him about the cartridge. He developed it to get around some issues with the Ackley improved cartridges. You can fireform brass from 7X57 and since the neck is a bit shorter and shoulder angle sharper, it might have a bit more capacity than the Ackley version. So, for all practical purposes an improved 7X57. I visited the shop in '96 and talked to Mr. Storey about a project I was considering. Never took it to competition. The Bauska barrel and his gunsmithing were driving forces behind my biding. This is the auction link 7mm DGS.
© 24hourcampfire