Home
Posted By: JRGunmaker Custom Sling Swivel Video - 11/24/22
I ran out of vendors for this little item and tooled up to make a few for my projects. Soon after they became available again.
That is so cool. I admit being envious of your ability! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Custom Sling Swivel Video - 11/24/22
That looks like aluminum when it is cutting, but has the appearance of stainless steel when it’s finished. What is the material
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Custom Sling Swivel Video - 11/24/22
Lot of setups and fixtures for one little part. They look great. I've been meaning to do one for the buttstock on my Marlin 336. Did you make that round over bit used at the end of the process or is that a commercial piece? I haven't seen one that diameter and I was counting on doing that operation with files and stones. I don't have CNC so I'll be blending by hand anyway.
Posted By: EdM Re: Custom Sling Swivel Video - 11/24/22
Here's some.

https://tenring.com/stuff-for-sale/

https://tenring.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/13SlingSwivelsStuds007.jpg
Happy Thanksgiving !
The material is 12L14 carbon steel as it produces a great surface finishes and rust blues very well.

I made a form cutter out of a straight flute HSS keyway endmill with my surface grinder. Using a radius dressed wheel with spin fixture. It cuts pretty good as a "flapper". I'd rather have a helical carbide form tool, but for now the home made form tool works well.

The variable flute 1/2" & 1/4" carbide mills are from Online Carbide and they eat steel and last well dry cutting. My mill doesn't have flood coolant.

These are the swivel of choice for most of the rifles I build.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Custom Sling Swivel Video - 11/24/22
Fascinating process to watch. Just cut away everything that doesn’t look like a swivel base 😊
Beautiful machining and contours. Thank you for sharing.

Have a couple pair to spare?
All the time not shown in that operation makes you appreciate the cost and "value added" when a rifle has them.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Posted By: cotis Re: Custom Sling Swivel Video - 11/27/22
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Cool.

CNC machined, hands off, high speed, computer does it.

You can sell them for $5 and make $20 on every one!😉

How long does it take to program it to cut 8 at a time?
Is each one a thing, or can you tell it to move 3" and repeat?

Love watching CNC video.
It's cool and relaxing at the same time.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Cool.
How long does it take to program it to cut 8 at a time?
Is each one a thing, or can you tell it to move 3" and repeat?
The first operation after sawing and deburring is done as a sub program where I just call up different work coordinates for each swivel location. You can see the sharpie doodling on the vise jaws G54, etc. Pretty easy to just keep adding vises and work offsets. The other operations are repeated programming the first one then repeated in a grid. The conversational programming on the Milltronics is much more versatile than I've mastered yet. I'm not really a machinist, just a gunmaker that learned to program.
Posted By: captjohn Re: Custom Sling Swivel Video - 11/29/22
Extras for sale?
© 24hourcampfire