Home
Posted By: Walk1 Barrel recommendation - 12/13/22
I’m getting ready to have another rifle built. Gonna be a light weight .260 22in. Who makes the best light weight barrels? No carbon..
Posted By: MikeS Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/13/22
If you are interested in stainless steel, in a lightweight contour, there are only a few manufacturers producing them. I prefer cut rifled barrels, and Brux and Rock Creek would be ones I would look at.

If chrome moly is an option, my hands down favorite would be a Krieger, although Bartlein is used by a lot of satisfied friends. Local F Class guru, Bryan Blake makes some outstanding barrels as well and may turn a lightweight SS barrel if asked.
Posted By: Walk1 Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/13/22
Yes it’s gonna be stainless. I’ve always used Douglass but I don’t think they make a rem mountain rifle contour.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/13/22
I have used Rock Creek, Brux, and Lilja in light contour #2's, mountain rifle and Kimber Montana contours and every one of them has been extremely accurate.

I've only got about 70-80 rounds through the latest Lilja Montana contour but at this point the last 2, 3 shot groups were under .75" with 88 grain ELD-M's.

Just a side note but this barrel shooting the 88's and RL17 is the easiest barrel to clean that I have ever owned.
Posted By: Walk1 Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/13/22
Bore finish is another consideration. I want one that is easy to clean. Don’t wanna be spending hours scrubbing.
Posted By: adam32 Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/13/22
PacNor for lightweight contours.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/13/22
douglas will and can install usually a two week turn around
lilja will and probably a two week wait
hart will probably a 4 month wait
rock creek isnt taking orders
brux probably wont do stainless...check
benchmark will do button and cut rifling

they are all good pick your poison
Posted By: jc189 Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/14/22
I have had good results with Brux and Bartlein.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/14/22
brux isnt making anything lightweight in stainless
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/14/22
Hidden in every long, fat barrel is the length and contour you want. Smiths have lathes.
Originally Posted by gene270
brux isnt making anything lightweight in stainless

They did when I asked them but that was 4-5 years ago.
yeah i just checked and they will in .264
Originally Posted by gene270
yeah i just checked and they will in .264

That is what mine is for, one of my 260 AI's. It might be one of my most accurate .264 barrel.
Posted By: Walk1 Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/14/22
I know a smith can turn it to what ever I want but trying to find a pre-contoured barrel to keep cost down. Lath time=$$ believe me I know I’m a recovering machinist.. I built race engines for a living in a former life LOL..
Posted By: Redneck Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/14/22
Nothing wrong with Lilja... Pac-Nor is another good source.
lilja is in stock...my recent .284 #2 lilja 3 groove shoots great
Posted By: ATGS Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/14/22
Lilja on my Montana, duped the factory contour and shoots great.
I just received 2 Lilja tubes that I ordered. I waited about 4 months. If its in stock....grab it.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/14/22
Not many folks do skinny stainless barrels.

Lilja or Benchmark is where I go for that stuff. All the others mentioned are good as well. Lilja will cut barrels in a huge variety of contours and they just modified one of their existing contours for me so they get a lot of my business.

If I'm doing #3 or higher, I'm liable to just get a Bart or Brux from Bugholes or wherever.

It's pretty hard to buy a bad barrel these days.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/14/22
Originally Posted by Walk1
I’m getting ready to have another rifle built. Gonna be a light weight .260 22in. Who makes the best light weight barrels? No carbon..

I like Lothar Walther a lot.
Hart. Incredible barrels.
Posted By: Deere_Man Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/14/22
Hart

https://www.hartbarrels.com/default.asp
Posted By: SD65 Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/15/22
Originally Posted by Walk1

K.S. Arms makes decent barrels:

https://www.ksarms.com/barrel-blank

SD
Posted By: SD65 Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/16/22
and K&P:

http://www.kandpgunco.com/rifle-barrels/4959350

SD
Posted By: slobob63 Re: Barrel recommendation - 12/29/22
fortunately we have many top quality barrel makers.but customer service after sale is far different.there are some decent,others that are terrible.brux is by far the best in this regard.
I agree with the Hart choice. I have had very good luck with them for accuracy and lead time. Very friendly people. I have found that barrel break in seems to take fewer shots than the other manufacturers I have used.
QM
© 24hourcampfire