Home
Posted By: Arvid 700 Build//Bottom Metal Question - 03/05/23
Working on a 700 based/McMillan stocked build in need of bottom metal. Researching, trying to cut through the fog. Believe in the buy once/cry once mentality, but at the same time want to be smart. My criteria are functionality, serviceability, and 3) appearance which is admittedly personal. Sharing your wisdom and experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Arvid
What stock pattern? Fill weight? Inlet? LA or SA? What chambering? What contour/length? What application? Hint.................
Big Stick -- Following up to your questions:
Stock pattern: McMillan Hunter
Fill weight: Standard
Inlet: Remington BDL (hope I'm answering your question correctly)
Action length: Long
Chambering: .30-06//.280 Ackley Improved (to be a switch barrel gun)
Barrel Contour: Bartlein barrels. #2B if available is stainless steel or #3.
Barrel length: 24" for both.
Application: Hunting. Lower 48.
Nice blueprint,though I'd change a coupla things,assuming you reload? Hint.

I'd stay Rem Sporter and simply recontour to same and stop at 22". I'd want 8" RPM and just (1) barrel and that in Vanilla 280. I'd simply let the best bullets going,do the work and not fret a fhuqking thing,with a throat kissing a 180 ELD M at 3.585" COAL and plenty of room to chase lands. Hint.

As to the bottom,I'd RHR and never look back. Have more than a few and they are Skookum. They are in stock(I checked). Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

With a 1" Decelerator,in that excellent stock pattern,recoil will be minimal,with performance off the fhuqking charts. Hint...............
Originally Posted by Arvid
Big Stick -- Following up to your questions:
Stock pattern: McMillan Hunter
Fill weight: Standard
Inlet: Remington BDL (hope I'm answering your question correctly)
Action length: Long
Chambering: .30-06//.280 Ackley Improved (to be a switch barrel gun)
Barrel Contour: Bartlein barrels. #2B if available is stainless steel or #3.
Barrel length: 24" for both.
Application: Hunting. Lower 48.

Bartlein 2B is indeed a SS offering.
A #3 Bartlein is considerably beefier than most (if not all) maker's #3 offering.
Thanks to you both; Big Stick and SKane.

Big Stick -- We're together on the RPM and you've got me rethinking the (Vanilla) .280 Rem -v- .280 AI. I'm on the RHR bottom metal; good tip and appreciate you checking availability.
SKane -- You saved me some time!

All the best to you both!
Arvid
The 280 AI is obviously a nice cartridge,but I'll take Vanilla every day,if only because every shot is the same and it leaves room in the belly. Hint.

There's nothing you can poke in a Twat-Six,to arrange it to hang with a Vanilla 280 and them ain't bad "odds". Hint...............(grin)
Arvid,

Here ya be - probably won't be in stock long:

http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/x-7mm-8.7tw-ss-2b-27.htm
Thanks SKane. BTW if I remember correctly, you sold me a pair of First Lite bibs. Since then I've built a war chest of First Lite gear. Good stuff!
That’ll be a sweet set up.

Rem Mag contour about a Krieger #2 or is the Rem Mag heavier?
Originally Posted by Arvid
Thanks SKane. BTW if I remember correctly, you sold me a pair of First Lite bibs. Since then I've built a war chest of First Lite gear. Good stuff!

Ahhh yes - happy to hear it's working out for you.
I am in the middle of building my vanilla 280 and went with the RHR bottom metal by coincidence. I am impressed so far by the price and quality.
I used the RHR bottom metal on a 260 build. It works very well.

I am with Stick on the contour of the barrel and length. A standard Remington sporter contour will be just fine for what you are planning to use it for. No need to go heavier or longer for those chamberings.
Good confirmation. Thanks. Arvid
© 24hourcampfire