Home
Posted By: AmericanEyes McMillan Stock Question - 03/30/23
I’m currently in the beginning stages of building my first custom ride on a Pre-64 Model 70 platform. I already have the action ordered, a standard length manufactured in 1951. I’m thinking of going with a McGowen barrel, and have pretty much settled on Blackburn bottom metal. Where I’m still undecided is the stock. Ideally I want a quality synthetic stock that has a cheek piece with shadow line, as well as checkering. Looking at McMillan’s current offerings, it appears that the closest stock would be their Winchester Supergrade. This stock does not have a shadow line, and I’m thinking it may be a little beefier than I ideally want in a .270. I saw that they offer the Sako Classic, which has everything I want. My question is this. Could I order a flat top Sako Classic and have a smith inlet it to fit a model 70?
Yes, if they would sell you a flat top, you could. It will take the right guy, but I may have a suggestion for you. Back when they had more inlets available they would do the sako classic in a pre-64.
Posted By: beretzs Re: McMillan Stock Question - 03/30/23
That’s what I’d do.. order a Flat Top and send it to AK’s fella or Kevin Weaver.
Posted By: MikeS Re: McMillan Stock Question - 03/30/23
If I am correctly remembering my conversation with McMillan from a few years ago you may need do do a little filling work at the tang area of the action on a Sako classic
to have a smooth transition there. That conversation was with Lynn. Not sure if she still works there.
Originally Posted by MikeS
If I am correctly remembering my conversation with McMillan from a few years ago you may need do do a little filling work at the tang area of the action on a Sako classic
to have a smooth transition there. That conversation was with Lynn. Not sure if she still works there.
When I did a tour of the factory many years ago I was told the same thing when I asked about using the Sako pattern for a Mod 70.
Originally Posted by AmericanEyes
I’m currently in the beginning stages of building my first custom ride on a Pre-64 Model 70 platform. I already have the action ordered, a standard length manufactured in 1951. I’m thinking of going with a McGowen barrel, and have pretty much settled on Blackburn bottom metal. Where I’m still undecided is the stock. Ideally I want a quality synthetic stock that has a cheek piece with shadow line, as well as checkering. Looking at McMillan’s current offerings, it appears that the closest stock would be their Winchester Supergrade. This stock does not have a shadow line, and I’m thinking it may be a little beefier than I ideally want in a .270. I saw that they offer the Sako Classic, which has everything I want. My question is this. Could I order a flat top Sako Classic and have a smith inlet it to fit a model 70?

Good luck with your build. How heavy are you thinking it will turn out and what barrel contour are you thinking? I see guys say "custom" when they may have been better off just throwing a factory featherweight in something like a hunters edge. The reason I ask is because I've seen a lot of guys say they regret going so heavy on the barrel contour, because they now have a tank, instead of a nice svelte hunting rifle. As stated before, by some guys here, the supergrade stock is a club. I have one and when comparing it to the hunters edge (hunters compact) or Brown Precision poundR stock, they are. I still prefer them over a pre 64 pattern Mcmillan though. The Sako with its huge cheek piece always looked overdone on a model 70 too, but that is a personal preference thing. What is this rifle going to be used for, if you don't mind me asking?
Originally Posted by Thunder_child
Originally Posted by MikeS
When I did a tour of the factory many years ago I was told the same thing when I asked about using the Sako pattern for a Mod 70.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 257Bob Re: McMillan Stock Question - 03/30/23
This fellow is good at answering these kind of questions...

Josh Deards

Builder Development, McMillan Stocks

623.582.9635 | www.mcmillanusa.com | [email protected]

1638 W Knudsen Dr. Phoenix, AZ 85027
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by AmericanEyes

Good luck with your build. How heavy are you thinking it will turn out and what barrel contour are you thinking? I see guys say "custom" when they may have been better off just throwing a factory featherweight in something like a hunters edge. The reason I ask is because I've seen a lot of guys say they regret going so heavy on the barrel contour, because they now have a tank, instead of a nice svelte hunting rifle. As stated before, by some guys here, the supergrade stock is a club. I have one and when comparing it to the hunters edge (hunters compact) or Brown Precision poundR stock, they are. I still prefer them over a pre 64 pattern Mcmillan though. The Sako with its huge cheek piece always looked overdone on a model 70 too, but that is a personal preference thing. What is this rifle going to be used for, if you don't mind me asking?
I’m not sure what it will weigh yet. If McGowen will do a model 70 featherweight profile, that’s what I will do. I will mainly use it for whitetail, as that’s what lives where I do. However, it will be my first choice for all hunts unless the size of my quarry demands a larger round.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: McMillan Stock Question - 03/30/23
While a Pre-64 70 is never not fhuqking funny to start with,stating McGowen as a barrel "option",is hitting below the fhuqking belt! Hint.

You get (1) Free Pass,beings you are from Oklahoma. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: McMillan Stock Question - 03/30/23
He is wanting to use a Mickey Sako classic.

Is he batting 0.333 then? In a more positive spin - there is one thing you actually approve of
Posted By: Big Stick Re: McMillan Stock Question - 03/31/23
EASY solve. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Roll a vastly superior S/S 700 L/A,poke it in that stock,opt a 1" Decelerator,chamber it in .284"-06,twist it 8" RPM in S/S and dots literally connect themselves. That as you fend your Feminine Hygiene Itch and "get" to Pretend to have a "clue",if only vicariously,as per your usual. Hint.

Better yet,go RHR ready to roll Outlander and be gunning come-ups in a coupla days. Pardon my shooting it all,as you set on the sidelines with mouth agape. Hint.

Next question? Hint.

I'm opening Mail now. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: KenMi Re: McMillan Stock Question - 03/31/23
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
He is wanting to use a Mickey Sako classic.

Is be batting 0.333 then? In a more positive spin - there is one thing you actually approve of

Chicom rifle scopes, tirades, alcohol, and big BC numbers to look good virtually shooting.
KenBitchAgain,

Perhaps you Slithering Snakes can "justify" your "living" vicariously,while "claiming" not to,despite following my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Here's to the fhuqking HILARITY,of your very WELL founded Insecurities,you Amazingly Inept Do NOTHING Kchunts. Hint.

I'm fixin' to unwrap and install a POS Pre-64 70 264 Win spout,upon a POS Pre-64 Win receiver,here in a bit. Perhaps you Melting Snowflakes can exchange Estrogen Levels and TikTok your sanctity,in the interim? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Hold on you Couchbound Kchunts...I got a bite! Hint.

Now you gals figure out how to offset the costs. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
That's "weird"...as mechanical dots are connected,Retards shut the fhuqk up. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Posted By: chas05 Re: McMillan Stock Question - 03/31/23
Might wanna take a look at the Bansner Miller stock?
Posted By: rockdoc Re: McMillan Stock Question - 03/31/23
Had a look. Bans er don’t list Miller stock for pre 64.
© 24hourcampfire